Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Rainmann wrote: »
    How do people feel about Coca Cola? A solid performer over the years (especially when you factor in their Dividend, currently around 4%). Strong balance sheet too and a great brand name.

you cant really go wrong , just dont expect it to double or anything

safer than money on deposit in my view and with three times the coupon

id wait til it dips back under $40 however which should happen this week , it was below 37 a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How do people feel about Coca Cola? A solid performer over the years (especially when you factor in their Dividend, currently around 4%). Strong balance sheet too and a great brand name.
    This isn't specific to Coca Cola, but something I've been thinking about recently. In the past my portfolio was about 50% safe bets, and 50% startup-type picks. With the current downturn, the startup-side has preserved value better, suggesting that the pickup will see a lot more growth in the traditionally safe bets.

There's a huge chance that the big boys (Coca Cola, Disney, J&J, McDonalds, Home Depot, JP Morgan) will outperform the startup side over the next 2 years IMO. I'm definitely looking at the likes of those for more of my money than I usually would

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tesla are the new Apple. They will be 1000 dollars eventually. I have no doubt.

Will take a long time to get there though. They did hit 360 last week, at that sort of money I'd be certainly tempted to go back in, but not around 500. Oil tanking again today, I wounder what will that do for the Tesla price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Wonder how much of their revenue has been impacted by all pub and restaurant closures... and will that sector really recover from this too? Prob no chance until a vaccine is widely available and developing a vaccine isn’t a given, it’s just hoped It will be discovered (and soon).

Probably Coca-Cola can use their experience to weather the storm and emerge on the other side but I can’t imagine their actual sales and overall outlook now is in anyway comparable to before this hit. I’d say there aren’t too many people ordering Slabs of Coca-Cola cans online from home.

Aim up 30%

Edit: Up 40% now, anyone any idea why?

Up 50% now after weathering a couple bouts of profit taking.

Up 65% now

FYI my edits are about 10 mins apart. It’s fairly rocketing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

I like this. Especially since they bought Costa Coffee. I think it's a good avenue for expansion.
    My safe bets... (not a trader - looking for safe long term)
    + Disney - everyone seems to be signing up to the service.
    + Baidu/Alibaba
    + Microsoft/Adobe/VM Ware
    + Flutter (PaddyPower), Ryanair (below €8), Kingspan
    + I'm researching ETF's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla are the new Apple. They will be 1000 dollars eventually. I have no doubt.
    Perhaps in 5 years time
    But you could make much more money intra day trading TSLA (and others) than by buying TSLA at the wrong price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Who would be your top 3 picks of good companies given the current situation?

Energy and Metal stocks may not be favourites now, however it's only a matter of time they'll bounce back...

BP, RDS, BHP, RIO they're great value for me
    and the likes of Ryanair, CRH, ABP foods, MSFT etc... Apple/Google are great too, but don't see much upside in them compared to others.

Cruiseliners/American Airlines are burning cash and they don't have much dough, but knowing the man in charge there, he'll pump in more billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Would having such a heavy proportion of your portfolio invested in one specific sub-sector not go against conventional financial advice?

Interesting companies btw - they have it all sewn up for themselves.

If the US is now in recession would that not reduce house buying and negate the need to buy their insurance though?

Not just a case of being over exposed to a niche sector

Using one of jims previous red line criterias

Those insurance companies are micro caps.

He dismisses every iseq company due to market cap yet here he is recommending companies in America that are no bigger

Check out first American financial, smaller than smurfit kappa

"beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

That guy doesn't share useful information, in fact he makes a virtue of not sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Aim up 30%

Up 65% now

Got out at $3, bought at $5 but was hovering around the $2 mark for too long. Far more interesting things to buy these days IMO.

• Advertisement

Aim up 30%

Up 65% now

And now dropping at much the same rate so might be back where we started pretty soon lol

Love this

attachment.php?attachmentid=507644&d=1585581097[\img]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Not just a case of being over exposed to a niche sector

Using one of jims previous red line criterias

Those insurance companies are micro caps.

He dismisses every iseq company due to market cap yet here he is recommending companies in America that are no bigger

Check out first American financial, smaller than smurfit kappa

"beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

That guy doesn't share useful information, in fact he makes a virtue of not sharing

Well I at least I know now why don't do well at the homework....

I give you the sector, tell you it is a mono line insurance and the best you can come up with is the bit player....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rainmann

Jesper wrote: »
    I like this. Especially since they bought Costa Coffee. I think it's a good avenue for expansion.
    My safe bets... (not a trader - looking for safe long term)
    + Disney - everyone seems to be signing up to the service.
    + Baidu/Alibaba
    + Microsoft/Adobe/VM Ware
    + Flutter (PaddyPower), Ryanair (below €8), Kingspan
    + I'm researching ETF's now.

Disney, Microsoft, Flutter, and Ryanair are all ones I have my eye one too. I think we should see more attractive prices over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Elliott himself would be proud of me now. Such a chart is so rare.

c7veZ1w.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

voluntary wrote: »

c7veZ1w.png

As a person you seem to be very into the technicals, is there any course you'd suggest a person could take to learn more about them. I look but have no ability to discern crap from ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

c7veZ1w.png

Good chart , classically the next wave would be down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

manonboard wrote: »
    As a person you seem to be very into the technicals, is there any course you'd suggest a person could take to learn more about them. I look but have no ability to discern crap from ok.

You might find something relevant here: https://b-ok.cc/s/elliott%20waves

In theory, the corrective C wave should be the last corrective wave confirming the bear market (at least in the time scope surrounding the chart). Whether this is right we'll find out soon enough.

wiki has a page on Elliot waves theory too
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_wave_principle

Wave C in bull markets (so the opposite to this one):
    Wave C: Prices move impulsively lower in five waves. Volume picks up, and by the third leg of wave C, almost everyone realizes that a bear market is firmly entrenched. Wave C is typically at least as large as wave A and often extends to 1.618 times wave A or beyond.

In theory, the corrective C wave should be the last corrective wave confirming the bear market (at least in the time scope surrounding the chart). Whether this is right we'll find out soon enough.

wiki has a page on Elliot waves theory too
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_wave_principle

Wave C in bull markets (so the opposite to this one):

Yes I use it albeit it can be difficult to figure out the waves, as in the 2 and 4 waves on the chart could have interpreted in real time as just the 2 wave , but the a, b , c extension proved the graph correct in retrospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

c7veZ1w.png

Hi Voluntary,

Would you minding dumping it down a shade for me please. What is the chart showing you?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Took a long in natgas this morning. Didn't wait for confirmation so was a bit of a punt but working nicely so far. Covers my loss in USDCAD last night

Yes I use it albeit it can be difficult to figure out the waves, as in the 2 and 4 waves on the chart could have interpreted in real time as just the 2 wave , but the a, b , c extension proved the graph correct in retrospect.

I tried to draw it a few other ways and they all end up in the bear confirmation.

I think this would be something you have in mind:
    UjmN1Pw.png

Still, all the criteria checkboxes ticked. Let's see what reality brings us.

Hi Voluntary,

Would you minding dumping it down a shade for me please. What is the chart showing you?

Thank you.

Sure,
    There's a very short video on the page below explaining it.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/technical/111401.asp

I tried to draw it a few other ways and they all end up in the bear confirmation.

I think this would be something you have in mind:
    UjmN1Pw.png

Still, all the criteria checkboxes ticked. Let's see what reality brings us.

Yes , I use a couple of technicals with fundamentals , the QE has made a mark and with the slowing of cases in Italy may be causing the bounce , if the bear market is to continue it will be pushed by the deteriorating situation in the US which could happen later this week.

Well, trends change, usually when fundamentals change. The chart just shows that we're still in a technical bear market and the recent rally does not end the bear market but rather confirms it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Well, trends change, usually when fundamentals change. The chart just shows that we're still in a technical bear market and the recent rally does not end the bear market but rather confirms it.

Not too familiar with Elliot waves but would I be right in saying, if C goes higher than 4 then the pattern no longer holds and it may be a change of direction?

Not too familiar with Elliot waves but would I be right in saying, if C goes higher than 4 then the pattern no longer holds and it may be a change of direction?

No, I don't think so. ABC do not matter much.

from wiki:
    Wave 2 never retraces more than 100% of wave 1.
    Wave 3 cannot be the shortest of the three impulse waves, namely waves 1, 3 and 5.
    Wave 4 does not overlap with the price territory of wave 1, except in the rare case of a diagonal triangle formation.

look how far C wave drops in the below example (in the opposite, a bull trend):
    It nearly touches the (2) price point.
    Elliott_wave.svg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Fed is now talking 32% unemployment rate - 47 million unemployed. Think I'll keep my powder dry for a while.

Advertisement