Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The only thing I learnt from this thread is that turf is no longer just found in the bog.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Pardon me, I thought the thread was about JK Rowling not everyone else in society, based on the title and first post.

Yes, it’s about JK Rowling and her post/tweet. Nice attempt to derail the thread! she highlighted the fact that someone was fired from their job for stating a “belief” that people born as one sex could not become the opposite sex by declaring themselves to be it. Regardless of what people believe themselves, it does seem a frightening precedent. How can you be certain that all your beliefs align correctly with current/future standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

The only thing I learnt from this thread is that turf is no longer just found in the bog.

Theres definitely two types of turf anyways.
    Good turf and bad turf.
    There is no neutral turf.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

buried wrote: »
    Theres definitely two types of turf anyways.
    Good turf and bad turf.
    There is no neutral turf.

Ah I get it....it's turf to most of us but if you're from Caavaan...it's terf.

Why is JKR being called turf? A sod I can understand but turf makes no sense:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

If someone needs it explained to them that men and women are different in many ways then they are fcuking stupid.

Insistence that men and women are fundamentally different personality wise and overly restrictive gender norms aren't helpful, though.

If you're brought up to truly believe that only men like X and only women like Y and you happen to be a male who likes Y maybe you would think you were the 'wrong' gender.
    Whereas if you accept that some people of both genders like both things - though not necessarily in equal numbers - you would not.

That is not to take away from the many people who do have intractable gender dysphoria which is not related to beliefs about societal norms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

donaghs wrote: »
    Yes, it’s about JK Rowling and her post/tweet. Nice attempt to derail the thread! she highlighted the fact that someone was fired from their job for stating a “belief” that people born as one sex could not become the opposite sex by declaring themselves to be it. Regardless of what people believe themselves, it does seem a frightening precedent. How can you be certain that all your beliefs align correctly with current/future standard?

She didn't get fired, she was a contractor, the contract wasn't renewed or extended.

That really should have been the end of it there IMO.

But essentially her contract wasn't renewed because she created what her colleagues felt was a hostile environment in work.

Moral of the story, if you are going to play Captain Edgelord and try be the hero make sure you have more than a 12 month contract because acting the bollíx will make you unemployed.

Like I said earlier this is just a more sophisticated gay cake trap, she is an attention seeking cretin IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is transsubstanciation. Nothing more, nothing less.

The denial of transsubstanciation is heretical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Person saying men are men and women are women is an edge lord, 2019 is gas craic altogether.

Don’t we pretty well all have “gender neutral” toilets at home? I mean, don’t people of any persuasion go to the same loo, especially in houses that only have one loo?

Or am I missing the point? Don’t answer that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Im sure when JK is at the bank,idling thru stacks of her money, as high as the roof, she'll feel proper told off or cancelled,whatever that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Don’t we pretty well all have “gender neutral” toilets at home? I mean, don’t people of any persuasion go to the same loo, especially in houses that only have one loo?

Or am I missing the point? Don’t answer that!

Oh FFS! This stupid argument every time. Do you allow random men to walk in off the street and share your bathroom with your young daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

another attention seeking twit im betting.

men are men, women are women. anything else is just stupidity.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Oh FFS! This stupid argument every time. Do you allow random men to walk in off the street and share your bathroom with your young daughter?

I’m not saying they all use the loo at the same time! One at a time, please FFS

victor8600 wrote: »
    It is tiny "controversy", it would have not merited a discussion, but for the fact it concerns transsexuals.

There is a section of the Boards society that is unhealthily obsessed with toilets and changing rooms, and a word "transsexual" in any context sends them over the edge and the same old toilet discussion is resurrected. Then it progresses to male prisoners who want to identify as women, goes into muddling and clarifying of words sex and gender, into several bouts of personal abuse, and so it goes in circles until mods start banning people and the thread is locked.

You're not as clued into this debate as you think. If you were, you would know that the trans activists have decreed that the word transsexual is forbidden and we must now only use transgender. As you have used the word transsexual, you are now labelled a bigoted, transphobic Terf and you should lose your job.

That's not how mixed sex toilets work. Men and women (and young girls) will use them at the same time. So it's really nothing like your shared bathroom at home. This is before we even get into the obvious issues with mixed sex changing rooms.

That's not how mixed sex toilets work. Men and women (and young girls) will use them at the same time. So it's really nothing like your shared bathroom at home. This is before we even get into the obvious issues with mixed sex changing rooms.

Yes but they don’t sit there with the door to the cubicle open (or do they?). So there’s privacy, isn’t there?

Yes but they don’t sit there with the door to the cubicle open (or do they?). So there’s privacy, isn’t there?

Shared washing facilities, urinals. Just like a regular men's toilets. Would you be happy with your daughter having to share that space with random males? With her having to deal with her period with men a few feet away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Most people don’t think of their home toilet as being essentially the same as a Public Toilet. Do you need more information about this? Some people at home never lock (or close) the door! 😱

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Very brave J K Rowling for standing up for women.

https://twitter.com/Ayaan/status/1207977593926012928?s=19

Ayaan Hirsi Ali supports Rowling :)

Shared washing facilities, urinals. Just like a regular men's toilets. Would you be happy with your daughter having to share that space with random males? With her having to deal with her period with men a few feet away?

She won't be dealing "with her period" at the sink will she?

Have you ever been in a unisex toilet?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

They'll be dealing with their periods in the same room as males. Schoolgirls in the UK are already missing school because of their discomfort and period shaming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7542005/Girls-skipping-school-avoid-sharing-gender-neutral-toilets-boys.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The LGBTQ+ community, online/social media, is the absolute most toxic bunch I have EVER come across...

There's been like 2 or 3 people here sticking up for the transgender person. On the other hand there's been some pretty vile comments about transgender people and it's the LGBTQ community that you view as toxic? Have you considered that you might just have some inherent hatred of this particular community and you mask it by making out they are "toxic"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Cancelled where, I read an article on this and it said she was cancelled, but didn't say where.
    The term seems to have originated with celebrities getting their show canceled due to online outrage. It has shifted now to meaning the twitter storm itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

lozenges wrote: »
    Insistence that men and women are fundamentally different personality wise and overly restrictive gender norms aren't helpful, though.

If you're brought up to truly believe that only men like X and only women like Y and you happen to be a male who likes Y maybe you would think you were the 'wrong' gender.
    Whereas if you accept that some people of both genders like both things - though not necessarily in equal numbers - you would not.

That is not to take away from the many people who do have intractable gender dysphoria which is not related to beliefs about societal norms.

I do insist that men and women are different in some ways (they are more alike each other in others given we are the same species).

“Brought up to believe” does not come from thin air. When bringing up our boys we encourage their natural interest in sport, objects etc. When bringing up our girls we encourage their tendency to care more about people than inanimate objects. If we tend to do something it is because it is a natural instinct, not shallow nor flippant.

Evidence: my main focus as a man over the Christmas holiday is building a storage cabinet for my garage. My wife is focused on getting thoughtful gifts for those that matter. This is not how we were brought up, it’s how our brains are wired at a fundamental level.

Ps I love the “not in equal numbers” admission - by definition one is odd/unusual if they are a man that prefers “woman things” and vice versa.

They'll be dealing with their periods in the same room as males. Schoolgirls in the UK are already missing school because of their discomfort and period shaming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7542005/Girls-skipping-school-avoid-sharing-gender-neutral-toilets-boys.html

Daily Mail?

Anyway, you never answered my question, have you personally ever been in a unisex toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Boggles wrote: »

Have you ever been a teenage or possibly even younger girl dealing with her period in a public toilet? It can be excruciating enough with just other girls in there.

I have been in many unisex toilets, which are single use only with a sink and a floor to ceiling door. Grand. No problem. ****ty cubicles with gaps is a different story. I'm a 30 something year old woman and honestly I wouldn't be comfortable sorting out period stuff with a man in the next cubicle or at the sinks and I would actively avoid such toilets. I'm not the only one. Other people dont mind and that's fine too, once there are options provided for everyone I dont care.

Girls in schools where such toilets exist are wetting themselves and developing UTI's from holding it in. But no, they're theyre the unreasonable ones who need to be sent for reeducation. Or you could just listen to them for once?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gynoid wrote: »
    Very brave J K Rowling for standing up for women.

https://twitter.com/Ayaan/status/1207977593926012928?s=19

Ayaan Hirsi Ali supports Rowling :)

498103.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    498103.jpg

Yep. The so called TERFs are right on this one. It is incumbent on men to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yep. The so called TERFs are right on this one. It is incumbent on men to support them.

Sit back and enjoy the s##tshow is what I say!!!

These brave men who self identify as women may very well be the key to actual gender equality....of course, it will be women who lose out on all those hard earned privileges in healthcare, education, sport and justice...but we will just blame the patriarchy for that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not at all, they’re still the same feminists who argue that men are their oppressors promoting the patriarchy and yakking about toxic masculinity and all the rest of it. They don’t suddenly become alright like the enemy of mine enemy is my friend kinda thing. Yer grand thanks, tbh.

I just wouldn’t support the idea of teaching young boys and girls they could ever emulate the opposite sex, nothing to do with feminism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement