Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me choose a PHEV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I have the 530e and it is really a fabulous car. Only downside is the range which can be as low as 20km in traffic/bad weather!

Looking at the BMW UK website there are very few cars over a year old available and they're relatively expensive. If you could stretch to it you could probably import a very low mileage 2019 with a good spec for 34k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just put a deposit on a 2018 msport plus pack 530e today in UK.
    Registered late in 18 so just turned 1 year old.
    They seem to be a fabulous machine but no doubt warranty is critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

At this moment,the Outlander is the King Of PHEVs.

AWC makes a lot of sense these days when road ssurface is frosty.
    All the safety features are just like my right hand ,a copilot.
    Battery and EV mode goes fine,charge easy every night. Drive like a gentleman in ECO and does the 40ish.
    Add the B0 mode and glide with the luxobarge ,i guesstimate it gives me an extra 15 km every day just by doing B0 modes.
    Disable ECO mode and press $WD lock and press the pedal...most of othe rcars will stop due to bends or road being soft...with AWC just keep going.

Comfort,big and safe for everyone inside.

Have fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

mickdw wrote: »
    Just put a deposit on a 2018 msport plus pack 530e today in UK.
    Registered late in 18 so just turned 1 year old.
    They seem to be a fabulous machine but no doubt warranty is critical.

Just imported a 182. Getting about 23 to 25k with the bad weather art the moment. Excellent car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We went Outlander. So wGolf and then Outlander. So far love it. Getting about 30km on the battery range so happy days, missed can get to work, do all drop off and majority of way home before the petrol kicks in. Full tank which is circa 40 quid and we will get the circa 400miles/650km out of it

I have done a full two week driving without using a drop of petrol when just spinning around to my local office while misses had my car. Space is good, spec is good. Nice to drive, hammered it down the road other day and wasn’t too bad on petrol either.

Just an options. The other version I would go is Golf PHEV or the Niro PHEV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

350e.... Take a read of honest John. Returns 40mpg....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

rolion wrote: »

Only thing is you can't really charge your Outlander at the fast chargers or even slow ones really - I don't think it's permitted. At least that's what I understand from BEV drivers.

.......ducks & runs for cover.......:D

Help me choose a PHEV

You could retitle the thread "what PHEV do you own" & it wouldn't have been any different :).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

I bought a Kia Optima PHEV recently which I understand has the same powertrain as the Niro but a 2.0 petrol engine. It is obviously much more spacious inside but the boot is shallower. It does however have a 7 year warranty on the whole ev powertrain battery etc. My 171 cost €21k vrt paid.

Note all heating for the ventilation system comes from the petrol engine but when it runs it charges the battery too. I am seeing 57-60km electric range as with the regular heating on.
    If the ventilation is turned off or the set temp is met, the engine stops immediately and you could use heater steering/seats to keep warm but I haven’t.

The mpg display maxes out at 99.9 mpg so don’t know what I’m actually getting above this. On petrol alone I haven’t see less than 50mpg. A full tank of 50litres shows a range of >1,000 km.

There was an estate too which is rated to tow and has a bigger battery and a higher spec.
    Profile: 90% driving under 30km
    Yearly mileage: < 12,000 miles
    Budget: Up to 30k

Option 1: 2016/17 Merc C350e (~26k)

Option 2: 2017/2018 530e (~31k)

Option 3: 191/192 Nero (~30k)

NOTE: Other family car is Ioniq BEV

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    You could retitle the thread "what PHEV do you own" & it wouldn't have been any different :).

Very few decent PHEV in market so yes you will get loads of people recommending PHEV they own.

The outlander at the moment seem to be king. It’s the biggest selling cars in Uk, mostly because it is a PHEV and smaller BIK etc

I looked at other PHEV before buying the outlander and nothing else came close in terms of cost/spec/value etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

creedp wrote: »
    I'm afraid those options are unfortunately outside my budget at present. Granted the ENV200 is within budget but outside of the styling which I would have serious difficulties living with, it doesn't have the range needed for regular long journeys. This is where a phev would be great.
    The new Env200 with the 40kWh battery is grand for range, think leaf40 minus 10%

Phil in electric autos can supply them.

rolion wrote: »

AWC makes a lot of sense these days when road ssurface is frosty.
    All the safety features are just like my right hand ,a copilot.
    Battery and EV mode goes fine,charge easy every night. Drive like a gentleman in ECO and does the 40ish.
    Add the B0 mode and glide with the luxobarge ,i guesstimate it gives me an extra 15 km every day just by doing B0 modes.
    Disable ECO mode and press $WD lock and press the pedal...most of othe rcars will stop due to bends or road being soft...with AWC just keep going.

Comfort,big and safe for everyone inside.

Have fun !

Agree, if I was 20km closer to work I'd have gotten one

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We went Outlander. So wGolf and then Outlander. So far love it. Getting about 30km on the battery range so happy days, missed can get to work, do all drop off and majority of way home before the petrol kicks in. Full tank which is circa 40 quid and we will get the circa 400miles/650km out of it

I have done a full two week driving without using a drop of petrol when just spinning around to my local office while misses had my car. Space is good, spec is good. Nice to drive, hammered it down the road other day and wasn’t too bad on petrol either.

Just an options. The other version I would go is Golf PHEV or the Niro PHEV
    Missed you getting that, well wear, much better than the diesel galaxy it replaced I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭creedp

ELM327 wrote: »
    The new Env200 with the 40kWh battery is grand for range, think leaf40 minus 10%

Unfortunately its of limited use if you regularly do a 350km each way trip with 4 kids. A 7 seater Outlander PHEV would be the business but sadly not available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Soarer

creedp wrote: »
    Unfortunately its of limited use if you regularly do a 350km each way trip with 4 kids. A 7 seater Outlander PHEV would be the business but sadly not available

Who is regularly doing that sort of journey with 4 kids in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭creedp

Soarer wrote: »
    Who is regularly doing that sort of journey with 4 kids in the car?

Head 'home' once every 6/8 weeks. Can currently complete it is 4 hours non-stop. Tried it a couple of time on my own in L30 and it took 6/6.5 hrs and a lot of stress. Glad charging has been introduced FCPs as now there is absolutely no incentive to repeat that scenario.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Missed you getting that, well wear, much better than the diesel galaxy it replaced I presume

Thanks

Picked it up a few months back. With the Galaxy we struggled to get 700-800km out of a full tank of diesel at nearly 90 quid a fill. Great for long distance and space but city driving it is not for

Miss Shefwed was also based in city centre so parking the Galaxy around Dublin was a nightmare, the Outlander might look big but it is a hell of a lot easier to park and the round view monitor is also handy!!

Once I got the new eGolf I knew the Misses wouldnt be long till knocking on door for a swap :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

FYI: I bought a 530e

I fear my head might explode right up my own arse with righteous indignation when I a BEV driver, consider charging my wife's new 530e at 3.1kW at a 22kW fast charger :-).
    Obviously in order to get maximum points I'll sit at the charger, not charging, and patiently wait till a ZOE appears and then plug in in front of then and tell them I'll be back in three hours or do

FYI: I bought a 530e

Great choice - well wear :).
    my..... new 530e at 3.1kW at a 22kW fast charger :-).

You/she can actually pull 3.7kW with the 530e & remember, the electrons are still free at SCPs so you've as much right to them as any pesky BEV driver.
    They're just jealous you've obviously made it & drive a prestigious executive German saloon while they're stuck hypermiling in a Korean econobox :D.

......Kramer ducks & runs for cover......

:D:D:D

Great choice - well wear :).

They're just jealous you've obviously made it & drive a prestigious executive German saloon while they're stuck hypermiling in a Korean econobox :D.

I'll pass your good wishes onto my wife (who will own and drive the car...
    Alas, I'll still be driving around in my "Korean econobox", ie my lovely Ioniq :o

I'll still be driving around in my "Korean econobox", ie my lovely Ioniq :o

Nothing wrong with the Ioniq - the Kramers managed over 40k kms in one last year ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

In the name of Jebus why ?
    You have an Ioniq you should know
    Etc is this obsession with f@#&ing hybrids
    Jebus

adunis wrote: »
    You have an Ioniq you should know
    Etc is this obsession with f@#&ing hybrids
    Jebus

Cost, vehicle size, driving profile, running costs....

adunis wrote: »

6th0vnT.jpg

Isn't it a lovely car adunis :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

can't wait to get hold of mine !

Cost, vehicle size, driving profile, running costs....

being slightly more serious / detailed, for the purposes of info sharing and debate, I'm going to expand on this, as I understand the wtf attitude of EV drivers to PHEVs, however the reality is that in certain cases they make sense...

1. Cost of purchase: I will land a 530e (Dec '17) with 12,000 miles on the clock for less than 28k. This is significantly less than the vast majority of any available EV's on the market, including 2nd hand.

2. Size of vehicle: This will be replacing a 7 seater (in case you are in the market > https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/subaru/tribeca/fpa/202001126077389). If will be used as a family car and will regularly have 5 people in it - so it needs to be comfortable with good passenger space.

3. Driving Profile: 60% of driving will be local and less that 20km. 30% will be 50km with destination charging both sides. 10% will be long distance, on routes that currently are primarily not covered by motorways and have limited access to fast charging with very limited fast charging redundancy built in. Both myself and wife have elderly parents, living alone >150km away, and in opposite directions. Getting to them fast and unexpectedly is unfortunately something that has to be considered.

4. Running costs - The majority of driving should be doable via EV only mode. The potential saving of going full EV is offset by the total cost of ownership (specifically higher purchase cost of BEV)

Summary: The objective of this exercise was to purchase a vehicle that made economic sense, was big enough and minimised our dependence on an ICE. This purchase should satisfy both conditions, more than any available EV within the same budget.

We will continue to drive the EV as much as possible having already done 80,000km in 21 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,750 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good rational thought process and excellently demonstrated!
    Phevs can be a good use case, but only in very specific ones. Yours seems to be one of those. The 530e (especially facelift) is a lovely car, well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote: »
    *subscribes to this thread*

Following pretty much the same criteria as irishgrover, you'll all be glad to know I've finally decided on my PHEV!:o
    Deposit paid this morning. Flying over Wednesday afternoon, back Thursday morning, and vrt appointment Thursday evening.
    Reason I'm rushing the VRT is she turns 6 on Friday 24th.
    So even though the system says she's 6 now and I have to pay the slightly higher rate of VRT (due to the VRT rebate dropping by €250 'cause she's a year older), I'm hoping to appeal, and explain she wasn't 6 when I registered.

Soarer wrote:
    Following pretty much the same criteria as irishgrover, you'll all be glad to know I've finally decided on my PHEV! Deposit paid this morning. Flying over Wednesday afternoon, back Thursday morning, and vrt appointment Thursday evening. Reason I'm rushing the VRT is she turns 6 on Friday 24th. So even though the system says she's 6 now and I have to pay the slightly higher rate of VRT (due to the VRT rebate dropping by €250 'cause she's a year older), I'm hoping to appeal, and explain she wasn't 6 when I registered.

What did ya get?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

6th0vnT.jpg

Isn't it a lovely car adunis :p.

Nope,a six cylinder petrol one is
    Maybe even a six cylinder diesel
    Not the worst of both worlds option

My onw personal solution to towing etc is a forty year old range rover it costs absolutely f.a to run/maintain ,I don't give a toss about the mpg it does about a thousand miles a year and I think it has probably saved it's carbon footprint in the number of vehicles that weren't produced to replace it.

• Advertisement

I suspect you may have accidentally stumbled into the wrong thread :-)

Advertisement