Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me choose a PHEV

Options
  • 18-12-2019 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭

Profile: 90% driving under 30km
    Yearly mileage: < 12,000 miles
    Budget: Up to 30k

Option 1: 2016/17 Merc C350e (~26k)

Option 2: 2017/2018 530e (~31k)

Option 3: 191/192 Nero (~30k)

NOTE: Other family car is Ioniq BEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

*subscribes to this thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Soarer wrote: »
    *subscribes to this thread*

Me too! Upgrading the wife's car next year.

OP, I bought a 2nd hand c350e this year. Daily commute is approx 10km each way and can get to and from work on battery alone in the summer.
    Absolutely lovely car to drive but not a great family car if you're bringing the whole clan away on summer holidays.
    Perfect for everything else for me though such as the weekly shopping etc.

Edit: I was a bit restricted with my budget hence why I didn't go for the 530e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Unless you need the practicality of a hatch i.e. the Niro, the only choice is the 530e. It's a saloon again though with a long but shallow boot. The folding rear seats are a necessity IMO. I'd be recommending an extended BMW warranty if buying a 2 or 3 year old model - mine has been flawless but is new.

Drove the Merc & far preferred the performance of the BMW.

Try to get an M-Sport model - looks great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭User1998

Heroditas wrote: »
    Daily commute is approx 10km each way and can get to and from work on battery alone in the summer.

Is 20km not achievable all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

c350e is a typical compliance car. The usable battery capacity is 5kWh!

+1 for 530e which should do 30km on pure electric easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

None of the above.
    Outlander.

ELM327 wrote: »
    None of the above.
    Outlander.

Have an old large Mitsubishi 4x4 & considered changing that for a new Outlander PHEV. After spending a weekend in the Outlander, I decided to keep my old Pajero Sport & get the 530e.

It boils down to whether the OP needs the space/practicality of a hatch (Niro) or heigh/carrying capacity/towing ability of an Outlander PHEV.
    Maybe he wants to wallow in the executiveness of the 530e's refined cabin & enjoy the ultimate driver's car :D.

It's astounding how rudimentary & budget it feels when sitting into our Ioniq, after a few days in the 530e. It's night & day.

I like the Outlander & it has a lot going for it but the interior felt not too dissimilar to an almost decades old Pajero.

OP: you're welcome to have a look at my 530e - I'm between Limerick & Dublin regularly, if your local BMW dealer doesn't have one.

Are there a newer/older versions of the 530e, upgrade in battery, etc.?
    If so, when did that happen?

Are there a newer/older versions of the 530e, upgrade in battery, etc.?
    If so, when did that happen?

'17 to '19 have a 9.2kWh battery with 8kWh usable.
    '20 onwards is upgraded to a 12kWh battery with 10.8kWh usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This has me interested
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/skoda-superb-plugin-option-makes-saloon-more-sensible-still-1.4103114

But looks like its starting from €40K so outside of budget...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Profile: 90% driving under 30km
    Yearly mileage: < 12,000 miles
    Budget: Up to 30k

Option 1: 2016/17 Merc C350e (~26k)

Option 2: 2017/2018 530e (~31k)

Option 3: 191/192 Nero (~30k)

NOTE: Other family car is Ioniq BEV

There will be a slew of PHEV's next year, particularly across the VAG range.
    e.g. the Mk8 Golf will continue with its GTE version. Merc have A and B class PHEV's coming out with DC charging and 13kWh+ batteries and 60km+ range

Are you in a hurry to buy?

With your 30km range needs I'd be trying to get something that has 50km+ range as you know only too well that it wont do 50km in this current weather. Get something with 30km range and it will probably be <20km in some circumstances and then you're burning petrol.

I'd be trying to get a PHEV where you only burn petrol on your occasional long trips, not an everyday occurrence. I guess it depends on whats important to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Why not a BMW i3 REX?

KCross wrote: »
    e.g. the Mk8 Golf will continue with its GTE version. Merc have A and B class PHEV's coming out with DC charging and 13kWh+ batteries and 60km+ range

With your 30km range needs I'd be trying to get something that has 50km+ range as you know only too well that it wont do 50km in this current weather. Get something with 30km range and it will probably be <20km in some circumstances and then you're burning petrol.

I'd be trying to get a PHEV where you only burn petrol on your occasional long trips, not an everyday occurrence. I guess it depends on whats important to you?

They're probably big bucks though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Other option: Vauxhall Ampera.

50-70km electric range. Extra 500km from 1.4 petrol engine.
    Not a compliance car - 16kWh battery with just under 11kWh usable and fully electric up to 72mph.

Bring in 2013/2014 from UK for approx €15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Alkers

Other option: Vauxhall Ampera.

50-70km electric range. Extra 500km from 1.4 petrol engine.
    Not a compliance car - 16kWh battery with just under 11kWh usable and fully electric up to 72mph.

Bring in 2013/2014 from UK for approx €15k.

Ampera will do more than 72mph on electric alone. The ice never kicks in unless the battery is depleted or you tell it to.

Alkers wrote: »
    Ampera will do more than 72mph on electric alone. The ice never kicks in unless the battery is depleted or you tell it to.

I haven't tried it myself but am going off reviews:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/ampera/18651/vauxhall-ampera

(edit: 75mph)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I haven't tried it myself but am going off reviews:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/ampera/18651/vauxhall-ampera

(edit: 75mph)

Car will go to the limit (~100 mph) on battery alone. The electric motor is more powerful than petrol engine after all.

Another +1 for the volt/ampera if the outlander is off the table

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

ioniq phev. i have a premium se. 35miles on battery, 60-70 mpg once battery has gone. adaptive cruise control. great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Alkers

@ gunnerfitzy
    Ah, I think they've worded it poorly but what I think they mean is that:
    Whenever you select the "hold" function, the engine will kick in to conserve battery charge but the electric motor is still driving the wheels alone and the ICE is only providing electricity to recharge the battery. When you have 'hold' selected and go above 75mph, the ICE is clutched in to provide direct drive to the wheels. If you don't have 'hold' selected, the engine won't kick in until the battery depletes.

That's my understanding anyway!

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Car will go to the limit (~100 mph) on battery alone. The electric motor is more powerful than petrol engine after all.

Good to know. If I wasn't the driving miss daisy type I'd try it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Whenever you select the "hold" function, the engine will kick in to conserve battery charge but the electric motor is still driving the wheels alone and the ICE is only providing electricity to recharge the battery. When you have 'hold' selected and go above 75mph, the ICE is clutched in to provide direct drive to the wheels. If you don't have 'hold' selected, the engine won't kick in until the battery depletes.

The 75 mph thing was debunked. I used to think it too, till someone posted a link to an interview with a GM engineer who said the ICE is clutched to the wheels when it suits, i.e. the engine rpm and wheel speed are matched.

@ gunnerfitzy

That makes sense!! :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    ioniq phev. i have a premium se. 35miles on battery, 60-70 mpg once battery has gone. adaptive cruise control. great car.

Have you been getting that range on battery? That's very good. I ended up going for the BEV in the end but was interested n the PHEV too. They seem to be pretty rare.

ainsyjnr wrote: »

Great shout.
    Ioniq is super efficient in all its forms, BEV, PHEV, HEV, and 35 miles EV range and the remainder on 60-70mpg is pretty damn impressive

I did 50k km in an Ioniq BEV and they are a great spec car for the money

What about a Passat Estate GTE?

Don’t know anything about their range or reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

Are there any affordable 7 seater phevs coming on stream? Will finally be changing diesel 7 seater next year (after 11 years). There doesn't seem to be anything other than diesel on the market at present so unless something affordable pops up unexpectantly it will be 2nd hand diesel again for me for another few years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭KCross

creedp wrote: »
    Are there any affordable 7 seater phevs coming on stream? Will finally be changing diesel 7 seater next year (after 11 years). There doesn't seem to be anything other than diesel on the market at present so unless something affordable pops up unexpectantly it will be 2nd hand diesel again for me for another few years

Thats the key word. The answer is no really.

There are a few premium versions... XC90, Tesla's, etc.

You could go all-in with a 7 seater BEV.... eNV200! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭User1998

What about a Passat Estate GTE?

Don’t know anything about their range or reliability.

Very rare currently none of them for sale in Ireland. More popular in the UK. They get about 30km range and the 1.4 tsi would be fairly reliable, same setup as my Golf GTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭creedp

Thats the key word. The answer is no really.

There are a few premium versions... XC90, Tesla's, etc.

You could go all-in with a 7 seater BEV.... eNV200! :D

I'm afraid those options are unfortunately outside my budget at present. Granted the ENV200 is within budget but outside of the styling which I would have serious difficulties living with, it doesn't have the range needed for regular long journeys. This is where a phev would be great.

Advertisement