Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭JF100

Rugby Law Question:
    When the ball is kicked into a team's in-goal area (as with Sexton & Stockdale) can the defending player slap the ball dead with their hands and get a 22 drop-out OR does that result in an attacking 5-metre scrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

JF100 wrote: »
    Rugby Law Question:
    When the ball is kicked into a team's in-goal area (as with Sexton & Stockdale) can the defending player slap the ball dead with their hands and get a 22 drop-out OR does that result in an attacking 5-metre scrum?
    Penalty at the 5m in line where it crossed the DB line. Otherwise it's a 22 drop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

jacothelad wrote: »
    There is speculation that the Ireland / Italy game is in doubt. If we can bin games because of a non-fatal cattle disease - Foot and Mouth - it's a logical step to stop a game that might cause human disease and deaths.

Will we get the bonus point?

So we are hoping that England or France don't get bonus points in the next two rounds and we have to beat an up and coming France in Paris. No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There is speculation that the Ireland / Italy game is in doubt. If we can bin games because of a non-fatal cattle disease - Foot and Mouth - it's a logical step to stop a game that might cause human disease and deaths.

The IRFU have advised that it will proceed with the matches and they will follow government advice. At this point, no travel restrictions have been implemented but I'm honestly a little surprised they haven't.

Italy have now reported their 7th death from the virus and there is a full travel warning in place for citizens travelling to Italy. 11 towns in Lombardy have been put into lockdown in Italy with 50k people under quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Buer wrote: »
    The IRFU have advised that it will proceed with the matches and they will follow government advice. At this point, no travel restrictions have been implemented but I'm honestly a little surprised they haven't.

Italy have now reported their 7th death from the virus and there is a full travel warning in place for citizens travelling to Italy. 11 towns in Lombardy have been put into lockdown in Italy with 50k people under quarantine.

We were supposed to host Italian students next week. We've been informed that it's not likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah now, that one could have devastated our “economy”...well, our already embattled agricultural sector.

This yoke will only kill 6, or 7, people tops. Certainly not enough to get in the way of the, mighty, 6 Nations.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ah now, that one could have devastated our “economy”...well, our already embattled agricultural sector.

This yoke will only kill 6, or 7, people tops. Certainly not enough to get in the way of the, mighty, 6 Nations.

Well it might suit the government as it kills old people like me....think what tha savings on pensions and the health service would be....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Well it might suit the government as it kills old people like me....think what tha savings on pensions and the health service would be....:D

Don't forget the gafs it'll put back into the social housing list!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Italy v England could be played in Newcastle apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

France have the sort of dynamic team we just can’t keep up with these days. They’ve been a pleasure to watch in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Very remarkable if true considering Sky have all but abandoned rugby union to BT. (All they have left at moment are Sanzaar and England’s autumn internationals, and the Lions every four years).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

icdg wrote: »
    Very remarkable if true considering Sky have all but abandoned rugby union to BT. (All they have left at moment are Sanzaar and England’s autumn internationals, and the Lions every four years).

Are the SANZAAR rights not up for auction again soon?

Anyway I wonder how long this deal will be for? £300m over how many years?

How much is the current BBC/ITV deal?

Is this just for UK rights? Or will it include Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wasn't the Ireland 6N games put on the protected free to air games some time ago?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Wasn't the Ireland 6N games put on the protected free to air games some time ago?

Was that not to be reviewed quite periodically??

If this happens, which eventually it will, I hope its weighted accordingly.
    Five games a year, at probably 15 million euro each from TV, and 1 Million profit each for 2.5 games in the aviva...... Plus 6Ns prize money... Would be a major windfall for the IRFU each year from international games.... Without even looking at the other year games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hurrache wrote: »

No, they were never added. The last review only added the LGFA and camogie finals (events which were never in danger of being snapped up by pay TV). The Six Nations stayed exactly where it was - the only event on the “B” Iist for which highlights are protected but not live coverage.

I’m not saying there won’t be a repeat of the FAI fiasco mind you, where the major television events protection legislation was rushed through after the deal was actually signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭OldRio

The final nail. No doubt the Unions will all talk about how poor they are. 'Money will be filtered down to the grassroots' Yeah, right
    Disaster in my opinion.

It's far from ideal, not the disaster it would have been 10 years ago as more and more people have access to Sky Sports etc, however it's the casual viewer that you risk losing, the person who is flicking through the channels on a Saturday afternoon and stumbles across the 6Ns. Rugby fans will still find a way but the casual fans won't.

Selfishly as a rugby fan who also subscribes to pretty much every sports channel under the sun I'm relaxed enough about it, and in fact the coverage on Sky would probably be a lot better with a dedicated channel and magazine programmes etc, but as I say for the casual fans it will be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bilston wrote: »
    It's far from ideal, not the disaster it would have been 10 years ago as more and more people have access to Sky Sports etc, however it's the casual viewer that you risk losing, the person who is flicking through the channels on a Saturday afternoon and stumbles across the 6Ns. Rugby fans will still find a way but the casual fans won't.

Selfishly as a rugby fan who also subscribes to pretty much every sports channel under the sun I'm relaxed enough about it, and in fact the coverage on Sky would probably be a lot better with a dedicated channel and magazine programmes etc, but as I say for the casual fans it will be a problem.

A lot of older fans will just miss out completely. My father would watch all the 6N matches but he wouldn’t be able for an afternoon in the pub. He’ll likely never see another 6N match once this happens. Whilst I’m personally a bit in the fence there are plenty of people who would always watch these matches who will just not be able to anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ah **** sake. And looks like going to sky as well so splitting the Heineken cup and 6 nations... Haven't looked into it in detail but pretty sure sky sports is way more expensive than BT also (here in the UK at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ah **** sake. And looks like going to sky as well so splitting the Heineken cup and 6 nations... Haven't looked into it in detail but pretty sure sky sports is way more expensive than BT also (here in the UK at least).

Sky sports in Ireland is around 40 quid a month without any deals I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Sky sports in Ireland is around 40 quid a month without any deals I think.

Yeah whereas I pay BT 34 a month for my internet + TV including sports

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I have Sky Sports and I still wouldn’t want to have the 6Ns on it. Their rugby “coverage” is brutal.

Their “analysis” is always weak, if there’s any at all. They mostly just send someone like Will Greenwood down to the touch line to talk about ‘what this means for the game’ and then interview a couple of players to ask them ‘what this means for the game’.

Then it’s back to the studio to speculate, with the panel, about what this means for the game. They might cut to Scott Quinnell for a “humorous” take on something that happened in the breakdown or a particular move that was done well but they try not to dwell too much on that.

BT do a much better job but it’s still a bit too “gimmicky” at times. You can argue that the BBC coverage is a bit much or the TV3 one can be, somewhat, “flat” but at least they look at what went on in the game.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5 greensox

More good news for IPTV sellers - the more sports go behind a paywall the more alternative means of watching turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,832 ✭✭✭nerd69

6 nation's going behind a paywall would probably just end me watching international rugby. I'd likely just support my local team. It will also kill the great talent coming out of the underage teams currently. Real knife in the back for rugby in this country if true

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

nerd69 wrote: »
    6 nation's going behind a paywall would probably just end me watching international rugby. I'd likely just support my local team. It will also kill the great talent coming out of the underage teams currently. Real knife in the back for rugby in this country if true

Me too. While I currently will organise my weekend around the 6 nations matches, once they go behind a paywall I won’t make any effort to watch them. This is the same as the H cup, would have watched all lei/mun matches when free to air I rarely see any of them now.
    I don’t watch enough sports to justify paying for any channel

To be fair, going to Sky/BT has hardly harmed the Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,832 ✭✭✭nerd69

bilston wrote: »
    To be fair, going to Sky/BT has hardly harmed the Heineken Cup.

I think it has for sure I can go down the pub for the odd game but I'll.miss some and the bigger issue is that you have far fewer kids watching because if it that's the future look how it's damaged Australian rugby when I lived I'm Melbourne most people didn't realise they had a team.

Someone said this is the UK and by Ireland they mean northern ireland. Anyone know if this is true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think my nightmares about this story have come back to haunt me. This is a disgrace from Sky.

They are not getting a cent of a subscription from me for 7 weeks of rugby. They can go to hell in a hand basket.

Advertisement