Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Options

Comments

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Tuilagi and Slade are in the 33 man squad.

We're gonna win the world Cup grand slam beat italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For future reference, if you've come across a piece of rugby news that's more than an hour old, assume it's already been posted here. :D
    Mako Vunipola out of the game at the weekend apparently for personal reasons, has travelled back to Tonga.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I fancy France this week! I know they're young and raw, but Wales are transitioning from Gatland and were shyte last time out! France are also capable of playing like crap and if they can win this one they'll have confidence going forward. But, France being France...who knows?
    I reckon Scotland will win comfortably. They were unlucky at the Aviva and England squeaked by them. Scotland appear to have upped their physicality and I think have looked improved.
    Our match is a tough call. No Vunipola brothers levels the field. But, home advantage could swing it for England.

With two more sleeps to go, I'm around here:

Not excited at all |<
    >| Too excited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I fancy France this week! I know they're young and raw, but Wales are transitioning from Gatland and were shyte last time out! France are also capable of playing like crap and if they can win this one they'll have confidence going forward. But, France being France...who knows?
    I reckon Scotland will win comfortably. They were unlucky at the Aviva and England squeaked by them. Scotland appear to have upped their physicality and I think have looked improved.
    Our match is a tough call. No Vunipola brothers levels the field. But, home advantage could swing it for England.

Wales were lucky to beat them last time out, a bit of composure and the French should have too much for them

Wales were lucky to beat them last time out, a bit of composure and the French should have too much for them
    We've yet to see this French team play a tough away match. Away fixtures have always been the achilles heel of French teams. Even how they played against Italy at home was a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They lacked composure against England and nearly let them back in the game. They lacked composure against Italy and almost did the same. Both of those were at home, there’s nothing to suggest so far that this team can bring composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

stephen_n wrote: »
    They lacked composure against England and nearly let them back in the game. They lacked composure against Italy and almost did the same. Both of those were at home, there’s nothing to suggest so far that this team can bring composure.

I think fatigue is an issue for them with their new defensive line speed.
    However, If they get another good lead on Wales I expect them to hang on this time.
    After all Vahahahamina won’t be there this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Any sign of the Welsh, Scottish teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Wales: Halfpenny; North, Tompkins, Parkes, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; W Jones, Owens, D Lewis, Ball, AW Jones (capt), Moriarty, Tipuric, Faletau.

Replacements: Elias, R Evans, Brown, Rowlands, Wainwright, T Williams, J Evans, McNicholl.

France: Bouthier; Thomas, Vakatawa, Vincent, Fickou; Ntamack, Dupont; Baille, Marchand, Haouas, Le Roux, Willemse, Cros, Ollivon (capt), Alldritt.

Replacements: Chat, Gros, Bamba, Taofifenua, Cretin, Serin, Jalibert, Ramos.

Wales: Halfpenny; North, Tompkins, Parkes, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; W Jones, Owens, D Lewis, Ball, AW Jones (capt), Moriarty, Tipuric, Faletau.

Replacements: Elias, R Evans, Brown, Rowlands, Wainwright, T Williams, J Evans, McNicholl.

France: Bouthier; Thomas, Vakatawa, Vincent, Fickou; Ntamack, Dupont; Baille, Marchand, Haouas, Le Roux, Willemse, Cros, Ollivon (capt), Alldritt.

Tompkins against Vakatawa might be fun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

stephen_n wrote: »
    Tompkins against Vakatawa might be fun.

Might?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Is that Fickou on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

aloooof wrote: »
    Is that Fickou on the wing?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

When was the last time a French coach showed selection consistency like this? Galthié seems like a proper coach for a change.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    When was the last time a French coach showed selection consistency like this? Galthié seems like a proper coach for a change.
    Laporte I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

yes

Has Fickou ever played on the wing before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »

He played there in that disastrous game against England last year, where Huget played full back.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »

he played wing in the 2018 6 nations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tuilagi back as expected. Joseph on the wing and Daly at 15 can be exploited by good kicking.

15 Elliot Daly (Saracens, 41 caps)
    14 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 54 caps)
    13 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 41 caps)
    12 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 81 caps) C
    11 Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 49 caps)
    10 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 67 caps)
    9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 97 caps)
    1 Joe Marler (Harlequins, 69 caps)
    2 Jamie George (Saracens, 47 caps)
    3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 33 caps)
    4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 36 caps)
    5 George Kruis (Saracens, 43 caps)
    6 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 83 caps)
    7 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 17 caps)
    8 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 21 caps)

Finishers
    16 Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps)
    17 Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 16 caps)
    18 Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 1 cap)
    19 Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 63 caps)
    20 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 13 caps)
    21 Ben Earl (Saracens, 1 cap)
    22 Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 11 caps)
    23 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 27 caps)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I obviously completely blanked that Fickou played wing that much. I always thought of him as a midfielder and I figured the French were trying to give George North the opportunity to find some form.

Have to thank Eddie Jones tbh. If he picked a proper backrow we'd be in real trouble. Lawes at 6 isn't a good selection despite it maybe boosting their lineout. And Curry is a world class flanker but only a decentish 8.

There are 5 centres and 5 locks in that 23. Jones is yakked off his face.

Clegg wrote: »
    Have to thank Eddie Jones tbh. If he picked a proper backrow we'd be in real trouble. Lawes at 6 isn't a good selection despite it maybe boosting their lineout. And Curry is a world class flanker but only a decentish 8.

There are 5 centres and 5 locks in that 23. Jones is yakked off his face.

Joseph, Farrell, Tualigi, Slade and... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Daly. Although if he's a centre then farrell is a 10. A lot of guys playing out of their normal remit. big gamble from Jones

Joseph, Farrell, Tualigi, Slade and... ?

Daly. He's probably more of a wing now though. And even he's being picked out of position at fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's an odd selection all right. Why have 2 locks on the bench? I dont get that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's an odd selection all right. Why have 2 locks on the bench? I dont get that at all.

Especially when one is Ewels, who is fairly average.

molloyjh wrote: »

Totally brutal, I mean total brutality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think we can expect a lot of bombs with Joseph and Daly in the back three.

Advertisement