Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't fall asleep

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Was just wondering how AH would react if the victim had been a woman and the the culprit was, I don't know - let's say... a rugby player?

If it was a rugby player then certain people would be very critical. But the same people seem to be less vocal when the perpetrator is a gay Algerian. Sometimes outrage is selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

He could literally get away with murder. Some people are untouchable.

He has been accused of rape. It may or may not be true. But he will never be subject to equality before the law. Royals are above the law.

Sovereign immunity. It extends to him unless i am mistaken.

I have no idea, why do you think a british royal is above US extradition?

If we don't stick to our law with discipline we will end up with no framework for discussion.

We might even up spouting nonsense like this:

“When you tell me that, you know, he should testify because he’s going to tell the truth so he shouldn’t worry. Well that’s so silly because it’s somebody’s version of the truth, not the truth,” he said. Todd then replied, “Truth is truth.” “No, it isn’t truth. Truth isn’t truth,” Giuliani insisted

I can't believe he is a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

So irish men are allowed rape nothin to see here?:confused:

We don't soul search and reevaluate for Irish rapists. oh ok

We have enough scumbags in this country, thanks. We don't need to be importing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Sardonicat wrote: »
    He's not in Ireland. We can't do anything about other jurisdictions.

Yes I agree but if you profess that all alleged rapists be treated equally and in the same post call out a single example of an alleged rapist, it's a bit of a contradiction right?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Clearly its being suggested its less worthy of our reflection when Irish men rape. Thus it matters less when irish men rape. Its not worth our scrutiny apparently.

Things that are not worthy of our attention tend to be thought of as less important.

I hope you can understand this.

In a way this does suggest while its not ok for Irish men to rape that we are less alarmed by it.

The only person suggesting any of that is you, you seem to have some weird agenda here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Say if an Irish person was working in Australia on a visa, or even say if they got a residency visa and even got an Australian passport and lived there for years etc. And then say they assaulted someone in the street in the manner this person assaulted the victim, or even assaulted them much less, I would not even bat an eyelid if I read in the papers "Irish person deported from Australia for assault." In fact I would expect it, and would be ashamed of the person disgracing his homeland in such a way.

But yet one is not allowed to think this way about certain immigrants here and guess why not - it is the vile racism of low expectations that gives certain peoples a free ride because of indulgent twisted paternalism and sublimated condescension.

People would not think twice if a Russian who had got residency here was fcuked out for crime like this, but they get up on their high horses to deflect away such harsh treatment of immigrants from certain places by saying idiocies like - sure we are all raping bolloxes since forever - because they have actual internalised racism and dont want to treat that bollox just the exact same as any other bollox. (Thats when they are not twisting words in postmodern sophistries to try and prove nations and races dont exist.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So all alleged rapist and victims should be treated equally, unless they are alleged rapists in a different jurisdiction, then your moral framework allows you to infer that they are non convicted rapists.

What are you on about? You're giving out to me over stuff you inferred.
    I'd say the lad caught on CCTV is guilty, but let the man have a trial. I'd say Andrew's stories sound made up and he was pals with a child molester and stayed over at the house where children were raped and was in a photo with a girl he claimed he never met and the like, but, it'll never see the inside of a court so....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The victim will never have a normal life again.

That's true. Whatever his circumstances; some areas of his life will not be a great one if he wanted to start a family or have kids etc. He has already become suicidal after he went through this ordeal already. He is definitely worth a lot more to society as an individual after he opened up about his mental health struggles in the public eye, while going through this court case, when compared to that sick individual who carried out his horrific act on him. I hope the victim gets all the support he needs from his loved ones in the lead up to Christmas because he will love to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He's a foreigner and apparently he has schizophrenia which means you're a racist if you call him a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He's a foreigner and apparently he has schizophrenia which means you're a racist if you call him a scumbag.

One could only be accused of being racist or bigoted if they implied that this particular scumbag did what he did as a consequence of either being a foreigner or schizophrenic. The only reason he appears to have done what he did is because he’s a scumbag who took advantage of a vulnerable person when he had the opportunity.

The thread title is shìte too tbh, falling asleep doesn’t cause anyone to be raped. Another person choosing to rape them, is what causes a person to be raped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He is a scumbag. Who says you can't?

He is a scumbag. Who says you can't?

Read the thread about the Japanese man that was stabbed to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

osarusan wrote: »
    Lets not kid ourselves here, the only reason this thread was started is because the rapist is an immigrant.

I know biko is not a Current Affairs mod, but I would have thought (perhaps naively) that Boards might have higher standards regarding the general conduct of mods. You know, like, keep a lid on the old racism, maybe? Selectively starting threads about crimes carried out by immigrants is the kind of thing you'd expect from one of those weird serial-rereg cranks, not a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The victim will never have a normal life again.

I really hate this kind of statement, it's not helpful and not necessarily true. Lots of survivors go on to lead very normal lives even ones who at a particular stage of their recovery felt suicidal. People can and do move on from sexual assault, it's not easy but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is a separate thread on Prince Andrew. Please keep this thread to the specifics of the case outlined in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Multicultural Ireland how are ya

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pure and utter evil

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Triangle wrote: »
    Lol, bit different. One is guilty and one is not.

Edit: it's actually not funny at all that you're comparing someone who is not guilty to what happened here.

Unless you were there, how do you know?

Anyway, I'm not talking about the legal side of things, I'm thinking about people's reactions and you'd be very niave to think that, had the victim been a woman, no one would have been questioning her drinking habits.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Don't think you understand the concept of "racism".

• Advertisement

Don't think you understand the concept of "racism".

I don't think you understand my post or what it's referring to. Or maybe you do. Fuck knows.

I don't think you understand my post or what it's referring to. Or maybe you do. Fuck knows.

Your post was pretty easy to understand to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

7 years?! That scumbag that knocked down the 13 year old and drove off got 8 months.. Who comes up with this stuff?!! There’s no consistency!

Your post was pretty easy to understand to be honest.

Explain what I meant then and explain why I don't know what racism is.

Explain what I meant then and explain why I don't know what racism is.

**** it, I can't sleep so why not?

What you mean is that you want to express anger against this guy but you can't because you fear that the fact that he's an immigrant will mean that you'll be labeled racist. Perhaps because you're got an overly paranoid belief that some imaginary SJW style moderator will automatically caution you for speaking out, perhaps because you genuinely can not express said anger without actually bringing his ethnic origins into it - that bit's unclear. My money's on the former.

The concept of racism requires you to make judgement based on background and as you are confusing this with attacking the individual and his actions regardless of said background (I'm assuming you;d be equally appalled had the rapist been Irish) you are expressing a lack of comprehension of said concept.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Well, I have heard and seen a lot of fecked up stuff moving through this world from way back in the past, but after reading that, it seems that I have entered the real twilight zone. How did this person get into this country in the first place?.

Does any-one here ever have the feeling that something changed in this so-called reality about 4 years ago? It's like our normal reality 4 years ago just changed completely into a different dimensional shift of an altered reality from what we were accustomed to?. Maybe it's just me, but I think a time traveller changed our reality to a really fecked up one. Who know's.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nah, it's just more of the all too usual self esteem issues with some around our past and how terrible we were. You'll see examples of it when say an Indian woman is gang raped and murdered by a bunch of subhumans and as sure as night follows day you'll have someone come along and say "well we did the same in the past!!" or variances of same and among some of the more delicate of mind will even claim we're really no different today and we'd be raping and murdering women if we got half the chance. I call these people morons, or damaged. Ironically though the Church is a dead duck, the sackcloth and ashes remain. No wonder they found it so easy to mould us for so long.

Its like the version of white guilt but Irish version, rather than treating everyone equally its not as serious because it wasn't a local.

The criminal should be removed from the country once they have served their sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,955 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well, I have heard and seen a lot of fecked up stuff moving through this world from way back in the past, but after reading that, it seems that I have entered the real twilight zone. How did this person get into this country in the first place?.

Does any-one here ever have the feeling that something changed in this so-called reality about 4 years ago? It's like our normal reality 4 years ago just changed completely into a different dimensional shift of an altered reality from what we were accustomed to?. Maybe it's just me, but I think a time traveller changed our reality to a really fecked up one. Who know's.

I'd say it's just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Has anyone mentioned that he's Algerian yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

If it is established that he had no right to be here and the Department did not deport him. Can the victim sue the State?

Advertisement