Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't fall asleep

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

So irish men are allowed rape nothin to see here?:confused:

We don't soul search and reevaluate for Irish rapists. oh ok

Ireland doesn't have a rape culture despite what mutants like Coppinger claim. So no, it doesn't really cause us to doubt our culture and society.

You have loons who blame the Ana Kriegel case on the internet, conveniently forgetting that these sort of incidents have been happening once every 15- 20 years in Ireland since time immemorial. Variously blamed on the internet (today), violent video rentals (80's), rock/ metal (70's).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Your Face wrote: »
    Probably because be pleaded guilty and he stated he struggled with his sexuality in Algeria.

Yep.
    What has struggling with his sexuality got to do with raping people?

I'd say he struggles more with trying to get away with raping people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Crikey. Why do you do that?
    We don't what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ireland doesn't have a rape culture despite what mutants like Coppinger claim. So no, it doesn't really cause us to doubt our culture and society.

You have loons who blame the Ana Kriegel case on the internet, conveniently forgetting that these sort of incidents have been happening once every 15- 20 years in Ireland since time immemorial. Variously blamed on the internet (today), violent video rentals (80's), rock/ metal (70's).

Hook would be a fine example of what rape culture is. For me it's making excuses for rape, plain and simple. "Rape is bad, but....".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Crikey. Why do you do that?

We don't what?

yeah yeah

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    It doesn't have anything to do with any of that though.

Lets not kid ourselves here, the only reason this thread was started is because the rapist is an immigrant.

People are reacting to the 'new Ireland' bollocks.
    What Wibbs said is relevant though. Yeah the thread was of course started because the guy is a migrant but that's still no reason to downplay the horrific act he committed with "yeah well "We" are as bad".

blade1 wrote: »
    What has struggling with his sexuality got to do with raping people?

I'd say he struggles more with trying to get away with raping people.

He doesn't struggle he managed to get it down to 4 yrs probably be out in two.

yeah yeah
    What? Remember your signature and don't act in such a manner.

What? Remember your signature and don't act in such a manner.
    Don't tell me how to act. You came in the thread and came for me. I said nothing to you. Nada ..nothing ..you stirred things up not me.

I am chill af.:)

please just stop quoting me

If you don't want a respond don't attack me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Hypothetical cases then. Women / female victims are treated differently.

I think male accused are also treated differently. In fact I've seen that innocent males are victimised after they have been proven innocent.

There are a lot of emotionally driven people in this world. Either way, work needs to be done on both sides.

• Advertisement

Don't tell me how to act. You came in the thread and came for me. I said nothing to you. Nada ..nothing ..you stirred things up not me.

I am chill af.:)

please just stop quoting me

If you don't want a respond don't attack me then.
    Good Lord. If you post on a public discussion, people will engage with you whether you have addressed them or not. If you don't want to be challenged, don't make inflammatory statements like "So irish men are allowed rape nothin to see here?

We don't soul search and reevaluate for Irish rapists. oh ok".

Triangle wrote: »
    I think male accused are also treated differently. In fact I've seen that innocent males are victimised after they have been proven innocent.

There are a lot of emotionally driven people in this world. Either way, work needs to be done on both sides.

Female rapists are not treated as seriously. Almost like its silly to suggest a woman could rape a teenage boy or a man.

Sometimes male rapists are lionized in society though. But only if they are rich successful etc. I mean look at prince andrew will never face a trial. If they are homeless or poor or not white ..they are not.

We have to learn to treat all victims rapists and accused equally.

We all know a homeless guy who rapes someone is not going to be treated the same by the justice system as Prince Andrew.

Good Lord. If you post on a public discussion, people will engage with you whether you have addressed them or not. If you don't want to be challenged, don't make inflammatory statements like "So irish men are allowed rape nothin to see here?

We don't soul search and reevaluate for Irish rapists. oh ok".

My point was you started bickering with me. I didn't start anything with you. You just keep provoking and attacking. Obviously people will post and respond to others but they don't always come picking fights with others as you do. I didn't start any drama you did.

I just really don't want to engage with you in particular anymore. I don't find your posts interesting or insightful.

Its nothing personal.

They don't seem to give me the itch to respond to you either so i hope you don't mind if i don't respond from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'll never understand why courts reduce sentences when people admit guilt. He was caught on cctv and arrested soon after, he was clearly guilty so his admission shouldn't be taken into consideration.

Just wait until you hear about the sentence reduction when his lawyer says that "as a non national he'll find prison more difficult".

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Where was this said?

jay1988 wrote: »
    Where was this said?

here

A sexual assault committed by a foreign national is easily worthy of greater scrutiny than one committed by a native as it represents a failure of quality control in our migration policy.

- how did he enter the country? Illegally? A spurious asylum claim? If it's so dangerous to be gay in Algeria how did he presumably survive there into his 30's?
    - did he undergo any sort of background checks?
    - was he legally here? If he was in such dire financial straits that he was homeless why was he allowed to stay here?
    - was he admitted under some reloaction programme, despite the disaster it has been in Germany, Sweden etc (being Algerian, he likely wasn't)

A sexual assault by a native can only provoke soul searching if he

a- has commited a serious offence before and should have been in prison, or

b- had told mental health services he was liable to commit such a crime and was not treated

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

here

So nobody said it's okay for Irish men to rape, grand, glad we cleared that up.

jay1988 wrote: »
    So nobody said it's okay for Irish men to rape, grand, glad we cleared that up.

Clearly its being suggested its less worthy of our reflection when Irish men rape. Thus it matters less when irish men rape. Its not worth our scrutiny apparently.

Things that are not worthy of our attention tend to be thought of as less important.

I hope you can understand this.

In a way this does suggest while its not ok for Irish men to rape that we are less alarmed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Deport.

Knowing our country, that would be too sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Female rapists are not treated as seriously. Almost like its silly to suggest a woman could rape a teenage boy or a man.

Sometimes male rapists are lionized in society though. But only if they are rich successful etc. I mean look at prince andrew will never face a trial. If they are homeless or poor or not white ..they are not.

We have to learn to treat all victims rapists and accused equally.

We all know a homeless guy who rapes someone is not going to be treated the same by the justice system as Prince Andrew.

Yes I agree, all innocent and anonymous to the general public until proven guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yes I agree, all innocent and anonymous to the general public until proven guilty.

That's exactly how it is in Ireland.

They are in the republic. Pick your bone with the uk.

I like that but why are we talking about Prince Andrew then? is he a convicted rapist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I like that but why are we talking about Prince Andrew then? is he a convicted rapist?

Not convicted.

He could literally get away with murder. Some people are untouchable.

He has been accused of rape. It may or may not be true. But he will never be subject to equality before the law. Royals are above the law.

Sovereign immunity. It extends to him unless i am mistaken.

Not convicted.

So all alleged rapist and victims should be treated equally, unless they are alleged rapists in a different jurisdiction, then your moral framework allows you to infer that they are non convicted rapists.

So all alleged rapist and victims should be treated equally, unless they are alleged rapists in a different jurisdiction, then your moral framework allows you to infer that they are non convicted rapists.

Read my above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Holy Jesus. The algerian fella is one depraved sicko. This scumbag should have been jailed for more than 7 years. Did he not get added onto the sex offender's register in this country after his court sentence? If he has not; why not? He has ruined the life of his victim for the rest of his own life. The algerian man in this case has effectively given his victim a life sentence in that the victim is not going to be mentally capable to have a fully functioning life when he gets older after going through this horrible incident. It can have the potential here to damage him mentally for the rest of his life if he is not receiving adequate support after this ordeal.

The algerian man in this case has effectively given his victim a life sentence in that the victim is not going to be mentally capable to have a fully functioning life when he gets older after going through this horrible incident. It can have the potential here to damage him mentally for the rest of his life if he does not receiving adequate support after this ordeal.

The victim will never have a normal life again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He's not in Ireland. We can't do anything about other jurisdictions.

Advertisement