Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hate Speech Public Consultation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

We are not the uk

Theres plenty of definitions of hate speech out there if you look

The law will define it as anything someone finds offensive. Same as the UK. Have you read the link in the OP? Very broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,452 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

US2 wrote: »
    The law will define it as anything someone finds offensive. Same as the UK.

Ye what? How do you know what legislators will do exactly? Thats a huge oversimplification to say that hate speech law in the UK is merely about anything someone finds offensive

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Jacob Tasty Football

They are locking up comedians in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Very few prosecutions.

The guy who set up the facebook page “Promote the use of knacker babies as shark bait” should have been prosecuted in my opinion

based on your previous posts I'd say you'd send any dissenters to the gulag if they looked sideways at you or were critical of your utopian dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

People are being arrested in the UK over simple disagreements with people of colour.

• Advertisement

Ye what? How do you know what legislators will do exactly? Thats a huge oversimplification to say that hate speech law in the UK is merely about anything someone finds offensive

You can not be a serious person, it is exactly that in the UK, and it looks very likely to be the same here from everything I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

"Hate speech" wasn't even a phrase in 1989.

And yet, here's the "Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989"

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/html

Phoebas wrote: »
    And yet, here's the "Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989"

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/html

That's a big difference from "hate speech" which is offending a liberal on Twitter. If this isn't the case, what are we bringing in this new law for?

You can not be a serious person, it is exactly that in the UK, and it looks very likely to be the same here from everything I've read.
    What have you read?

This thread is telling you about a public consultation - there isn't some published proposed legislation out there that's about to be enacted. You have an opportunity, like everyone else, to have your views heard.

That's a big difference from "hate speech"

The existing legislation covers hate speech - have you looked at it at all?
    (b) to use words, behave or display written material—

[...]

or

(c) to distribute, show or play a recording of visual images or sounds,

if the written material, words, behaviour, visual images or sounds, as the case may be, are threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred.

• Advertisement

Posting something factual and scientific like "There is only 2 genders" could have you before a judge, deemed as hate speech towards people who identify as "them" or "they".

The law will define it as anything someone finds offensive. Same as the UK. Have you read the link in the OP? Very broad.
    There is no new law defining anything yet. This is about a public consultation.

The existing legislation covers hate speech - have you looked at it at all?

Have you seen how this is being implemented in the UK. You want that here?

Have you seen how this is being implemented in the UK. You want that here?
    We aren't in the UK, so we aren't subject to the laws there.

If you want to influence how we organise our laws, here in Ireland, this is your opportunity.

If you want to influence how we organise our laws, here in Ireland, this is your opportunity.

It'll be the same here.

It is the very same as the UK. I haven't said we are subject to their laws. I have taken the opportunity, dont worry.

It'll be the same here.
    Off course it will.
    If all of the people who spend countless hours on Boards and social media complaining, simply throw their hands up in the air and say it'll be the same as it is in the UK, then maybe that's what you'll get.

Off course it will.
    If all of the people who spend countless hours on Boards and social media complaining, simply throw their hands up in the air and say it'll be the same as it is in the UK, then maybe that's what you'll get.

I've no confidence in this government taking any public consultation seriously. Theyll do what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Legislation like this is a direct threat to democracy and people expressing an opinion. Existing laws can already deal with such issues.

The establishment don't care about that. They will use these laws to suit them and their agenda and to protect their own from criticism. Take Marie Bailey the insurance fraudster as an example, iv'e already heard certain government mouthpieces (newstalk etc...) try and claim she was being bullied by the line of questioning she was getting. They would call that hate speech right there and stop anyone from asking pertinent questions about her role in the scandal.

It's a slippery slope.

• US2 wrote: »
    Hate speech is to silence criticism of islam or open border immigration and has only recently come about.
    If someone deems something offensive its hate speech, not clear at all.
    The law will define it as anything someone finds offensive.
    That's a big difference from "hate speech" which is offending a liberal on Twitter.
    Posting something factual and scientific like "There is only 2 genders" could have you before a judge, deemed as hate speech towards people who identify as "them" or "they".

For someone who professes to be against people making up what constitutes hate speech, you seem to spend an awful lot of time making up what you think will constitutes hate speech.

• Advertisement

For someone who professes to be against people making up what constitutes hate speech, you seem to spend an awful lot of time making up what you think will constitutes hate speech.

That's a bad effort at being funny or something?

We can see all the examples of "hate speech " across the water, I'm not making anything up.

Its really a massive oversimplification to say that uk hate speech laws are just anything offensive. Not just an oversimplification but untrue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Legislation like this is a direct threat to democracy and people expressing an opinion. Existing laws can already deal with such issues.
    Indeed. Every single tinpot dictator and regime in history has sought to control and ultimately outlaw ideas and opinions it didn't like and were a threat to it. Damn near every human right we currently enjoy in the West was once seen as beyond the Pale of the current established order. That included slavery, women's rights, children's rights, contraception, the right to vote etc and yep freedom of expression. In good oul Catholic Ireland many opinions were seen as incorrect speech and thoughts. Sod that.

This is coming on the back of our dear political class getting on board with the multiculturalism politic, trying to head of at the pass the results of that in the future. Nothing to see here. That and the currently fashionable victimhood olympics stuff playing out in western cultures.

And yep I sent a submission, though knowing our political class it will be a waste of keystrokes as the end result has almost certainly been preordained. I'm reminded of when that idiot Sean Sherlock was in the midst of "discussing" Copyright legislation and invited industry people to debate, when the ink was still wet on the legislation. A PR exercise as I suspect this to be. Plus when it's couched in terms like "hate speech" most normal people will naturally think "oh no I don't want hate involved in anything" without looking at the wider consequences of such legislation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It'll be the same here.

Who said?

Terry Pratchet

It is the very same as the UK. I haven't said we are subject to their laws. I have taken the opportunity, dont worry.

This is just silly nonsense. The UK has laws. We have laws. Our laws dont always mirror the uk ones.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The establishment don't care about that. They will use these laws to suit them and their agenda and to protect their own from criticism. Take Marie Bailey the insurance fraudster as an example, iv'e already heard certain government mouthpieces (newstalk etc...) try and claim she was being bullied by the line of questioning she was getting. They would call that hate speech right there and stop anyone from asking pertinent questions about her role in the scandal.

It's a slippery slope.

Exactly, surprised they didn't try and say the questions she was getting were just misogynistic .. that will cow any reporter into quiet submission.

That's a bad effort at being funny or something?

We can see all the examples of "hate speech " across the water, I'm not making anything up.

I dobt think it was funny at all. You completely oversimplified and misinterpreted the uk laws on hate speech

Terry Pratchet

Its really a massive oversimplification to say that uk hate speech laws are just anything offensive. Not just an oversimplification but untrue.

Certainly not untrue. There is examples there for you to look at, plenty of them.

The girl who posted lyrics of a rap song on her Facebook just one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

If Ireland is going to meet its multicultural destiny, hate speech legislation is just part of the package. This is only the beginning.

• Advertisement

If Ireland is going to meet its multicultural destiny, hate speech legislation is just part of the package. This is only the beginning.

The minister for justice considers being asked about mass immigration as hate speech.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement