Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭crinkley

Yeah ended up getting my card cancelled only to update details with eir to see they were going by eirion (a previous google search came up with an pharma company) Better safe than sorry I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I got a new card from them and now it's letting me transfer money as usual but it won't let me pay for anything it keeps saying I am locked out and I need to reset my number in an atm, I have done this and it still won't let me pay for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Bunq customer service is utterly useless open an account in 5 mins... yeah right. Attempted to open an account on 25th January and not open yet so I asked them in support and the will try to respond to my ticket in EIGHT days!

They can get lost and close my account when they open it if they ever bother. Revolut script following customer service are miles ahead I just never knew it could be worse haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I had a similar issue with N26; I signed up with my familiar name which I use on pretty much everything except passport, not on any bank stuff at all. Then N26 took about a week to manually verify me, which I was fine with really given that’s the timeframe for a regular bank. But then they wouldn’t take any proof of address off me, and they didn’t seem to have any way of overriding their AI-based system whereas a regular bank here would have just Ok’d it. Now I have an N26 account in a name nobody would recognise really. I pretty much only use it for the work canteen so it’s not that much of a deal with Christ there’s something to be said for a nice pillar-digital bank middleground.

N26 when I signed up years ago when they launched I threw in rubbish in for name and this arrived after they verified me on video call with passport. I have since regretted having them fix it later haha.

• Advertisement

Revolut failed me twice today for the first time in years I would say. So Tesco in Stillorgan off-licence told me contactless is down chip and pin only. That's fine used Revolut card (Mastercard debit) chip and pin took a while and didn't go though and nothing in my app about it. Tried once more same result. Used my AIB visa chip and pin and that went through.

Went and did my shop in the main Tesco where they were announcing the whole time about contactless down. Tried revolut failed again so used AIB visa again.

Now I didn't try my Revolut Visa debit which I could have done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I have done no shopping in Ireland in about 20 years, but here in Switzerland it is not unusually to go shopping and discover one or other of your cards are not working... When I was paying for my groceries on Friday morning at the self service - they had an assistant there tell people, myself included that a particular card was not working today. I would not advise anyone to do all their banking with one single bank.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That would be exceptionally unusual in Ireland, rare in the extreme. Your advice is largely irrelevant to people in this country.

Well that's what the AIB Visa card is the revolut backup haha, that then is backed up by a N26 debit card that's backed up by an EBS debit card after that I would have to give up and leave with an abundance of shame 😆

I completely disagree. Having an alternative payment method is sound advice applicable to everyone in every country.

As per above happened me today and if I didn't have another method of payment I would have not gotten what I went to the shops for 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,308 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cool, do you pay for multiple banking services? Or was it one of the free ones that didn’t work in Ireland (rare, but less uncommon)

Is I said above Revolut is my main salary account but I have the following and no fees for any of them (bar Revolut which I pay for and that failed today)

AIB Visa card no fees as I have no current account with them.

N26 Debit card - Free Tier

EBS Debit card - Free Current account I don't really use just for cash services.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you think relying on a single providers for financial services that is of course your prerogative. But from the comments on this forum, I think most people prefer to keep their options open and have a back up in case a card does not work, gets lost, an account is frozen etc.

I’d be the same. Plus I’d always keep the cash for a week or so of necessities in the house. Ulster Bank 2012 (?) rings a bell.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The Visa network meltdown on the May bank holiday weekend maybe seven or eight years ago should still be in folks' memories.

Yeah that was part of my decision to get a credit card, Mastercard alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭cena

Received notification money was sent to me last night for sharping a few pairs of hockey skates. Money has not entered my account yet. It is just over 24hrs since the money was sent to me

Sender’s bank probably doesn’t support SEPA Instant, expect it in Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That was a weird one. Big IT issues, but somehow my online access, cards and all transactions were still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you have Revolut is there any meaningful reason to also have an account with n26 and/or bunq and the like? Is there something I'm missing out on?

N26 purely because it's free and could act as a alternative payment if revolut was down/not working for any reason.

Revolut offer no savings product in Ireland currently. Bunq allows you open a free savings account with a rate of 2.46%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I use Revolut domestically and have an N26 debit card which I use when outside the Eurozone. No FX charges, very favourable rate and instant transaction notification. Had trouble with Revolut the couple of times I tried using it overseas. And having both of these there is the comfort in having a ready to go backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

Most banks outsource a lot of their functions (not development) to service providers so things like card processing can operate in a degraded way even if the actual bank is having IT problems. A small number of companies like arcot, tsys and FiServ work in the background keeping payments moving but most people will never hear of them. MasterCard and Visa also offer stand-in processing for banks.

I suspect most banks have their websites and mobile apps running on a duplicate of core banking databases. This probably isn’t done because it offers reliability but it’s a nice side effect anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The unusual part was that I didn't experience any of the issues that other people were having. Lots of people not getting paid, their cards didn't work, direct debits weren't being paid. First I heard of it was an email from work to all the staff getting paid to Ulster Bank account offering cash advances. My Ulster Bank account was unaffected.

Anyway, this is just a pointless anecdote. Everyone should have backup accounts and at least one visa and one MasterCard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I got a receipt in the shop this evening while paying with my Curve card that is Master Card and connected to my Visa AIB card and it says " debit Master card contactless".

Just in case that makes any difference to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm heading north today. Revolut don't have to recognise the Bank holiday today right? There's no exchange fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Cookiee

• Advertisement

You can check in the app by going as far as doing an exchange but not actually doing it but no no fees today.

Advertisement