Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I use Revolut primarily for travel and then mainly for Uber abroad, things like Restaurants abroad, McDonalds etc. I recently had to curtail a holiday last week due to the Covid-19 crisis, like others I got the warnings about impending bankruptcy of Revolut etc.

The email from their CEO was what really spooked me as we have seen this many times before with companies reassuring customers then wham, Thomas Cook etc. I hope not with Revolut because it is an amazing disruptive fintech but I wasn't prepared to risk it to be honest.

I withdrew below the €200 limit at a BOI ATM, spend the remainder on Diesel, groceries in LIDL, then converted the remaining €7 into UK£ and topped up my amazon.co.uk with it to leave a zero balance of any currency on my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

theguzman wrote: »
    I use Revolut primarily for travel and then mainly for Uber abroad, things like Restaurants abroad, McDonalds etc. I recently had to curtail a holiday last week due to the Covid-19 crisis, like others I got the warnings about impending bankruptcy of Revolut etc.

The email from their CEO was what really spooked me as we have seen this many times before with companies reassuring customers then wham, Thomas Cook etc. I hope not with Revolut because it is an amazing disruptive fintech but I wasn't prepared to risk it to be honest.

I withdrew below the €200 limit at a BOI ATM, spend the remainder on Diesel, groceries in LIDL, then converted the remaining €7 into UK£ and topped up my amazon.co.uk with it to leave a zero balance of any currency on my card.

Jaysus, if that's your response to a rumour that might cost you a few quid you must be a nervous wreck believing all the rumours about Covid-19!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Jaysus, if that's your response to a rumour that might cost you a few quid you must be a nervous wreck believing all the rumours about Covid-19!
    :cool::cool::P:P
    RpIyaEn5XOPJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

I'm just after adding a disposable Visa card to my standard account. Have they made this a standard feature now or is this similar to the virtual card glitch a few months back?

I'm on the beta app on Android

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I don't think revolut is going away anytime soon, but if it does, at least I can still use monese. I just think revolut is a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

dollylama wrote: »
    I'm just after adding a disposable Visa card to my standard account. Have they made this a standard feature now or is this similar to the virtual card glitch a few months back?

I'm on the beta app on Android

I just added one on mine too. I'm not on premium and I don't think I'm on the beta app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

joujoujou wrote: »
    Thanks.

I was able to survive without a smartphone for so long, so I think I have no problem with that - farewell, revolut! :D

Oddly enough the only reason i got a smartphone was for revolut as i was of the same view.
    There is the option of just getting the phone for this reason as once its set-up and you have the card you can top-up on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I just added one on mine too. I'm not on premium and I don't think I'm on the beta app.
    What's the point of a virtual card, I originally had a MasterCard with Revolut and added a free physical card at the time, I also added a free virtual card so now have three but I only use one, I can see the point of the second physical especially if on holidays, and great on the London transport system but I don't see the point of the virtual, can anyone explain??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Buying stuff on slightly dodgey websites the card is one time use and after that if they steal the card number they can’t use it.

If you have kids and they want to buy something on PlayStation or Xbox you can load up a disposable virtual card and give them the details over text. They’ll only be able to buy that one thing they asked for and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You can just transfer all to your AIB, PTSB BofI or whatever other account ye have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Buying stuff on slightly dodgey websites the card is one time use and after that if they steal the card number they can’t use it.

If you have kids and they want to buy something on PlayStation or Xbox you can load up a disposable virtual card and give them the details over text. They’ll only be able to buy that one thing they asked for and nothing more.

Virtual and disposable cards are 2 separate things

In revolut the virtual card is not disposable, it’s a card number in the app, you can use it online any way you want

A disposable card is something for premium members where the card number is essentially temporarily, and once it’s used once, it’s destroyed and cannot be reused

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Virtual and disposable cards are 2 separate things

In revolut the virtual card is not disposable, it’s a card number in the app, you can use it online any way you want

A disposable card is something for premium members where the card number is essentially temporarily, and once it’s used once, it’s destroyed and cannot be reused

A disposable card is still virtual as it is not attached to a physical plastic card. I work in the industry and it’s common nomenclature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

A disposable card is still virtual as it is not attached to a physical plastic card. I work in the industry and it’s common nomenclature.

a disposoble card is virtual, but not all virtual cards are disposable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Anybody else being asked to reverify ID ?
    Sometimes, though, regulations change, processing methods are no longer supported, and documents expire. The result is that the ID you provided before is no longer valid.

These guys are trying my patience,I've been with them for years and all I seem to be getting lately is constant red tape .
    I barely use the account anymore despite it being Premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

If your passport is due to expire (mine's up in September) can you submit it to support or anything in advance of them asking so there's not as much downtime? Or is that asking for trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There really isn't any real need for this right now, you got to remember that they're not in any financial trouble, there's no signs of any issue, if anything if your source is from facebook/whatapp it's likely someone shítposting or trolling as there's been a ton of that last few days. Remember there was rumors of a total lockdown of Dublin last week and these were easily proven false. Gotta be pragmatic in this day and age they also have a Lithuanian Banking licence too and are covered under the Euro scheme.

Using it for Forex exchanges and small transactions is what this is best for.

Infini wrote: »
    There really isn't any real need for this right now, you got to remember that they're not in any financial trouble, there's no signs of any issue, if anything if your source is from facebook/whatapp it's likely someone shítposting or trolling as there's been a ton of that last few days. Remember there was rumors of a total lockdown of Dublin last week and these were easily proven false. Gotta be pragmatic in this day and age they also have a Lithuanian Banking licence too and are covered under the Euro scheme.

Using it for Forex exchanges and small transactions is what this is best for.

There's no point explaining things to the people who believe Facebook and WhatsApp rumours. They'll just believe the next one that comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well if a larger portion of their user base has no more reason to use them in light of restrictions on travel, possible restrictions on movements of goods and coupled with some rumors how long do you estimate will that newly raised money last?

While there might not be any concerns now that can change in a moments notice.

And while the government's might bail out banks, I don't think that electronic money institutions might be their main priority.

So the smart thing to do is as even during normal times and make an informed decision.

Dont keep more funds with them than you can afford to loose access to for a few month. Because while the money is ring fenced (unless there are irregularities) it will take a while to get those funds back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Unfortunately for all the naysayers it seems that Revolut are expanding not contracting. They have just launched in the United States.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/24/virtual-banking-app-revolut-launches-in-the-us/

But what would Boards be like without the begrudgers, rumour mongers and keyboard warriors eh? (A pleasant site to visit maybe?).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

"In addition, Revolut offers users in the U.S. the ability to receive their salary two days in advance if they share their Revolut banking details with their employer."

That's not a thing here, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    "In addition, Revolut offers users in the U.S. the ability to receive their salary two days in advance if they share their Revolut banking details with their employer."

That's not a thing here, is it?

In Europe it's pretty much instant or depending on the sending bank within a few hours.

Completely different banking systems. Probably normally takes a few days to get the payment through normally over there. Used to be like that here, too.

You can be sure, that Revolut does not "lend" the money 2 days earlier. They only process the money faster.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for all the naysayers it seems that Revolut are expanding not contracting. They have just launched in the United States.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/24/virtual-banking-app-revolut-launches-in-the-us/

But what would Boards be like without the begrudgers, rumour mongers and keyboard warriors eh? (A pleasant site to visit maybe?).

Similar to N26 in the beginning In Europe (and now in the US) they not doing this directly but via an established US bank as an interface on top of that bank account, in this case of Metropolitan Commercial Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ddub11

Hi guys,

New to Revolut and looking for some help.
    I download the app and set it up,all seemed ok till i tried to send the photo id.

Anyway after a few attempts i got that sorted and tried to trans fare money into my account from my bank but it will not go into my revolut account.

As im typing this im onto live chat with revolut and they are saying i need a passport as id when setting up but i thought it was ok to us a government id card.

Anyone had an issue like this when setting up or any idea how i can sort it? thanks.

ddub11 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

New to Revolut and looking for some help.
    I download the app and set it up,all seemed ok till i tried to send the photo id.

Anyway after a few attempts i got that sorted and tried to trans fare money into my account from my bank but it will not go into my revolut account.

As im typing this im onto live chat with revolut and they are saying i need a passport as id when setting up but i thought it was ok to us a government id card.

Anyone had an issue like this when setting up or any idea how i can sort it? thanks.

You have to use a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I paid my electricity bill earlier with my revolut card, and now suddenly that transaction, and one from shopping in dunnes, have disappeared. The app said there were card issues. Will my electricity payment still go through? It was worth 400 euro, and the money went from my account, but the bill on the electricity company hasn't updated yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I got a message in app saying there were payment issues and to have alternate card for payment...when I hit home it showed a payment had failed, so I went back to the shop... showed it on my phone, they pulled up the receipt and it said processed on theirs .. so maybe everything else I going thru...just communication errors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Can’t speak for a particular case, but in the past when something has gone missing or returned it’s pretty much always sorted itself out in a few hours or a few days

They did just start in the US so maybe that’s got something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I paid my electricity bill earlier with my revolut card, and now suddenly that transaction, and one from shopping in dunnes, have disappeared. The app said there were card issues. Will my electricity payment still go through? It was worth 400 euro, and the money went from my account, but the bill on the electricity company hasn't updated yet.

Are you sure the company accepts payment from Revolut. I would have thought that they only accept payments from cards issued by Irish Banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Are you sure the company accepts payment from Revolut. I would have thought that they only accept payments from cards issued by Irish Banks.

Always pay my electricity bill and internet bills with my revolut card.

Why would they accept only Irish cards? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why wouldn't they?

Advertisement