Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭unhappyBB

Dublin and Cork kept their postal districts. Beyond that it's semi-random for the 3 digit area and then a random letter and three random alphanumerics but 0 not O etc.

320px-Clanrickarde_St_Cork_2_sign.jpg
    Cork didn't get to keep their districts despite the fact they're still on most of street signs down there. They instead have to use codes like T45 instead of C02.

The Dubs got the special exemptions when it came to Eircodes. They use D despite eircode rules stating the letter must be random and not associated with the geographical location. Also, D6W was the only postal area to break the agreed eircode format and be allowed to have a letter in the third position. Why these guys fight so much to be D6W and not D26 is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

unhappyBB wrote: »
    320px-Clanrickarde_St_Cork_2_sign.jpg
    Cork didn't get to keep their districts despite the fact they're still on most of street signs down there.

The Dubs got the special exemptions when it came to Eircodes. They use D despite eircode rules stating the letter must be random and not associated with the geographical location. Also, D6W was the only postal area to break the agreed eircode format and be allowed to have a letter in the third position. Why these guys fight so much to be D6W and not D26 is beyond me.

Property values and money.

The opportunity to finally rid ourselves of the Dublin districts was missed. Even more ridiculous given that certain parts of Kildare are now covered by D24!

As this is a map thread I suppose I'd better post a map...
    postal-codes-dublin.png

Is there an actual method to why the Dublin numbers are so scattered?

And why are numbers skipped?

Is there an actual method to why the Dublin numbers are so scattered?

And why are numbers skipped?

The districts were just set up around their local An Post delivery office afaik. This is no longer the case because of closures/amalgamations but the district's stay the same.
    I heard that when 6W came into being there was a lot of local opposition with being named the next available number, 26, as they were afraid of being associated with Tallaght D24. Politicians had to get involved and 6W was agreed upon.

There aren't any numbers skipped, it's just odd numbers North of the river and even numbers South of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The Dublin 6w snobbery is fairly famous to be fair.

Hilariously so

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/postcode-snobbery-screams-location-location-location-1.382978

The only even number north of the liffey is D8, the phoenix park is in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Pretty weird that the D5 district doesn't mention Coolock, with Coolock Village being part of D5.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

retalivity wrote: »
    I remember as kid playing GAA in NW Donegal, being in the same group as Malin & Naomh Columba (Glencolumbcille) for some junior competition. They were far enough from me at the time, but from each other they used to say it would take 3 hours (early 90s donegal roads). Google maps says that they are 146km and 2h15m apart.

https://goo.gl/maps/M6GtiodJAVRzn1568

I've got Malin Beg to Malin Head at 181 Km (2 hr 45m) via Donegal Town.
    Link

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The districts were just set up around their local An Post delivery office afaik. This is no longer the case because of closures/amalgamations but the district's stay the same.
    I heard that when 6W came into being there was a lot of local opposition with being named the next available number, 26, as they were afraid of being associated with Tallaght D24. Politicians had to get involved and 6W was agreed upon.

There aren't any numbers skipped, it's just odd numbers North of the river and even numbers South of it.

Then only oddity is Chapolizod village, North of the river with an even number. The other half of Chapo is south of the river.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

random_guy wrote: »
    Link

Not sure what roads have improved but before the tip of west cork to Dublin the half way point time wise was Bandon which is the start of west Cork,now it seems to be just north of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭roosterman71

random_guy wrote: »
    Link

Are you allowed stray out of the county like that?

bubblypop wrote: »
    The only even number north of the liffey is D8, the phoenix park is in Dublin 8.

No it's not. Chapelizod village is Dublin 20 and is also on the Northside.

No it's not. Chapelizod village is Dublin 20 and is also on the Northside.

Part of the village is, part is Southside
    The only whole area northside with an even postcode is the Phoenix Park

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

Are you allowed stray out of the county like that?
    According to time and distance mentioned, it's by one of the grey routes, which are entirely in Donegal, not the blue route.

it's just odd numbers North of the river and even numbers South of it.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh! I see it now.

It's mad how obvious something is when it's pointed out :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Even more ridiculous given that certain parts of Kildare are now covered by D24!
    my wife worked for dublin city council and many times had to explain patiently to people that they lived outside the DCC area.
    the most memorable was someone who rang in from clonee, who became incensed when my wife explained to her that DCC were not the relevant local authority, and Fingal neither, but they'd have to ring Meath CoCo. the caller was outraged at the suggestion she didn't live in dublin. an 'i think i know where i live!' sort of reaction. she hung up on my wife as she was confirming the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I see it now.

It's mad how obvious something is when it's pointed out :D

Oddly enough, now that I look at it at it's 2hrs 49 minutes due to traffic coming into Killybegs.
    They just need to wait until a certain time of day and they'll have Cork beat! :pac:

Part of the village is, part is Southside
    The only whole area northside with an even postcode is the Phoenix Park

Right. So Chapelizod, Dublin 20, is on the Northside?

Right. So Chapelizod, Dublin 20, is on the Northside?

No.
    Part of the village is :)

All of the Phoenix Park is though

• Advertisement

No.

It's not Just the Phoenix Park though.

To add, some of the nicest parts of Dublin are in the North side, and vice versa :D

No.

So, it's on the Northside. Cool.

Not to mention Chapelizod Road, Sarah Place and the boat clubs, but yeah, you do you I guess.

It's not a competition!
    Not sure why you're so touchy this morning, could I suggest a return to bed?

I can understand why chapelizod is all Dublin 20, because it's the same village, just happens to cross the Liffey.
    I don't know why the Phoenix Park was given Dublin 8 though, maybe some poster does?

Not to mention Chapelizod Road, Sarah Place and the boat clubs, but yeah, you do you I guess.

If you want to be like that, chapelizod road and I know the Garda boat club(not sure about others) are in islandbridge
    Which also spans the Liffey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't know why the Phoenix Park was given Dublin 8 though, maybe some poster does?

"One of the two exceptions to this rule are the Phoenix Park and Áras an Uachtaráin, which are in Dublin 8. There’s a practical explanation for this anomaly. After the post office and sorting office in James’s Street were built in 1892, it began delivering the mail for the vice- regal lodge in the Phoenix park, since it was much more convenient than the old Phibsboro sorting office. So the park and the Áras got roped into Dublin 8, just as Chapelizod village, north of the Liffey, is in Dublin 20. This means that just two of Dublin’ s 24 postal districts span the Liffey."

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/an-irishman-s-diary-on-dublin-s-vanishing-postal-districts-1.2139140

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Dublin in 1612

john-speed-map-Dublin.jpg

If you want to be like that, chapelizod road and I know the Garda boat club(not sure about others) are in islandbridge
    Which also spans the Liffey

Indeed they are. Looking right out on them now.

Again, back to the salient point, Chapelizod is on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Dublin 1833
    dublin-map.jpg

Indeed they are. Looking right out on them now.

Again, back to the salient point, Chapelizod is on the Northside.

Snore.
    Right ya are

• Advertisement

Snore.
    Right ya are

Glad we got there in the end.

Advertisement