Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

astrofool wrote: »
    Billy Connolly said it was Morocco!

https://vimeo.com/24340940

Beat me to it !! :D -- edit , actually if you naively do the distance on a 2d map it does go to Morocco, didn't take the polar stretch they do for 2d maps into account...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

70a872522bca6ce92c46f58f1fad67df.jpg

I love comparisons like this, I always thought Sydney was similar to Barcelona in proximity to equator wise ... Sydney is far closer, would be close to mid sahara in the northern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It really shows up the notion often told to farmers that farming in NZ is similar to here.
    Now it has a more temperate climate than Continental Europe, but I was in NZ for the month of April last year, which is comparable with our October. We were wearing sun cream and it was between 18/21C every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ireland is at the same latitude as the southern end of Hudson bay in Canada - about where Polar Bear Provincial Park is. If the Gulf Stream ever shuts down...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cnocbui wrote: »
    If the Gulf Stream ever shuts down...
    We will still be on the East side of an Ocean.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Water John wrote: »
    It really shows up the notion often told to farmers that farming in NZ is similar to here.
    Now it has a more temperate climate than Continental Europe, but I was in NZ for the month of April last year, which is comparable with our October. We were wearing sun cream and it was between 18/21C every day.

if it gets too warm they can always head down to Invercargill.

" I wish I was in Innnn Ver Car Gill " , sung to the tune of "Carrickfergus"

Think there is an air monitoring base station there as there is no other land/pollution at that latitude around the world.

We will still be on the East side of an Ocean.

Hair splitting?
    The problem lies with the ocean current known as the Gulf Stream, which bathes the UK and north-west Europe in warm water carried northwards from the Caribbean. It is the Gulf Stream, and associated currents, that allow strawberries to thrive along the Norwegian coast, while at comparable latitudes in Greenland glaciers wind their way right down to sea level. The same currents permit palms to flourish in Cornwall and the Hebrides, whereas across the ocean in Labrador, even temperate vegetation struggles to survive. Without the Gulf Stream, temperatures in the UK and north-west Europe would be five degrees centigrade or so cooler, with bitter winters at least as fierce as those of the so-called Little Ice Age in the 17th to 19th centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

If the Gulf Stream ever shuts down...

We’d basically be Iceland sans the volcanoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The engine that drives the gulf stream is the sun beating down on the gulf of Mexico coupled with the earth rotating. If that ever shut down, I would think it was Goodnight Irene anyway.

• Advertisement

The sun is also generating 5 hurricanes in the Atlantic ATM.
    https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It is the sun indeed - fair play to it. I don't know if there ever was a year without hurricanes forming out there. But I suppose there were never huge amounts of humans living on the coasts they slam into until now. And certainly not the 24-hour news bulletins showing us the menacing satellite shots. That part is all new.

It's only the second time 5 hurricanes at the same time has been recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

topper75 wrote: »
    The engine that drives the gulf stream is the sun beating down on the gulf of Mexico coupled with the earth rotating. If that ever shut down, I would think it was Goodnight Irene anyway.

Ocean currents are also driven by a thermohaline (temp and salinity) process. It's one of the big worries with global warming that the release of fresh water at the polar ice caps will dilute the sea water, reducing it's saltiness in the northern regions and thus causing the gulf stream to invert it's direction.
    Cheery thought. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Followed by immediate self-correction though, right? As in the absence of the warming current leading to colder northern seas and reversal of any winter ice-melting process?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Followed by immediate self-correction though, right? As in the absence of the warming current leading to colder northern seas and reversal of any winter ice-melting process?
    More fresh water means Arctic freezes over. Diverting water south was a Soviet era plan to green the deserts and fill the inland seas and make the Arctic saltier and so easier to navigate.

kgsms95z89451.png
    https://i.redd.it/kgsms95z89451.png

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/302888269_The_Siberian_Water_Transfer_Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Water John wrote: »
    It's only the second time 5 hurricanes at the same time has been recorded.

:eek::eek::eek:The neutrinos have mutated!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Well yes, if you can call a plunge of 8° C lasting over a hundred years a 'correction', which is what happened 8,000 years ago: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13013-ancient-flood-brought-gulf-stream-to-a-halt/#

Modern ice ages are accompanied by a shut down in the Gulf Stream/Atlantic conveyor/THC. That circulation system has been slowing and is currently 15% weaker than it was in the middle of the last century.

Well yes, if you can call a plunge of 8° C lasting over a hundred years a 'correction', which is what happened 8,000 years ago: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13013-ancient-flood-brought-gulf-stream-to-a-halt/#

Modern ice ages are accompanied by a shut down in the Gulf Stream/Atlantic conveyor/THC. That circulation system has been slowing and is currently 15% weaker than it was in the middle of the last century.

But wouldn't such a plunge be mitigated by global warming today with all the CO2 being released by man?
    I mean water won't suddenly lose the ability to be heated by warmer air. You put water in a greenhouse, it gets warm fast.

Every way you look at it - it self-corrects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Came across this yesterday - hopefully not posted previously. Major Roman roads in a Tube style map.

526612.png

Larger original:
    https://sashamaps.net/images/roman_roads_original.png?fbclid=IwAR3HhK74e6hRPCcq2AtXEOtIkDu975OaStw2THHkNDd1i765SE8aMgj5LsQ

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Ireland is at the same latitude as the southern end of Hudson bay in Canada - about where Polar Bear Provincial Park is. If the Gulf Stream ever shuts down...

I live in Winnipeg right now. We're 49.80 degrees north. Dublin is 53.34. Here in Winnipeg -40C in winter is not uncommon. Add wind chill to that and it's easily below -50.

Layers are your only friend in those temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I like that Roman map, interesting that they never came to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nc6000 wrote: »

they realised that the people were getting more scary the further west they went so decided to stop at Wales.

They were probably told the weather is like that place north of Hadrian's wall, but the inhabitant's aren't as chilled, and so they said quod irrumabo!

Maybe they did up near Rush

Hibernia, the Land of Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Veni, vidi, non vis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Some maps about China

1. The westernmost point of China is nearer to Germany than it is to the easternmost point of China. That's how big the place is.

Eh6F4c-WAAE-9AG?format=jpg&name=small

2. Not all Chinese live in the same place... this map shows the population distribution of the country.

D0DJbBEXcAA1GWx?format=jpg&name=900x900

3. Many of them live in the Pearl River Delta MegaCity, about 135,000,000. For reference the distance from Zhaoqing on the left, to Hong Kong on the right is about the same as Galway to Dublin.

DuZ_ygpXgAAImbL?format=jpg&name=small

4. They don't all understand each other, a map of languages of China, many of these are incomprehensible to each other.

Dja7ACqXgAAFFsI?format=jpg&name=small

5. This map shows the recommended route from China to New York or Rotterdam by sea. Avoids piracy, PITA customs and coast guards and lengthy queues and charges at the Suez and Panama canals. Due to climate change this route is navigable more months of the year than ever before.

DvGZIa-WoAAnErt?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its oversized so didnt imbed, not sure who its measured but interesting, some kind of measure of status or popularity of degrees in each country in europe

https://i.redd.it/qq0icdj93ozz.png

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

silverharp wrote: »
    its oversized so didnt imbed, not sure who its measured but interesting, some kind of measure of status or popularity of degrees in each country in europe

https://i.redd.it/qq0icdj93ozz.png

is it not showing the degree that each countries leader has? Or had as it shows medicine for Varadkar

Advertisement