Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Index of skin tones by location on a global scale.

11417_30262806_6667ec55-d4a4-4793-9040-ee1e0ba796f8.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are there really that many green people?

While I may be being glib, the map doesn't help itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Index of skin tones by location on a global scale.

11417_30262806_6667ec55-d4a4-4793-9040-ee1e0ba796f8.jpeg

no way that irish people have the same skin tone as French people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Victor wrote: »

Also, all the blue people in the middle of Greenland. From the cold? Or "fir gorm"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Must be to do with indigenous skin colour, because there's no way the average skin tone in Australia is at that end of the scale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Also, all the blue people in the middle of Greenland. From the cold? Or "fir gorm"?
    I think that's just uninhabited.

You don't live in the centre of Greenland unless you have a death wish. (Though you could probably say the same for a good number of the Arctic Canadian islands)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Smurfs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Smurfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Further to post #1204, Ireland looks even more laid-back here (though perhaps in better shape).

Mapping must have been difficult if the sun was shrouded in rain and mists. (And I wonder if the word Hibernia was suggesting it was to the north of Wales etc?)

(Sorry, can't seem to embed image from phone today - probably just me?)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=520554&stc=1&d=1595244106

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

520554.jpg

Are those islands on the East Coast the Arklow Bank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

josip wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=520554&d=1595244106

Are those islands on the East Coast the Arklow Bank ?

Yes they are.

It's suggested too that Arklow is referred to as Menapia on Ptomley's map of Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I had always associated the word Hibernia with hibernation, meaning Land of Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Mapping must have been difficult if the sun was shrouded in rain and mists. (And I wonder if the word Hibernia was suggesting it was to the north of Wales etc?)
    The land of -always- winter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The claim I've heard is that Hibernia actually came from the old Celtic word for the island *Iveriu (where Ériu and subsequently Éire come from) that was then altered in Latin to Hibernia, as it sounded like the latin hibernus, meaning winter. Other lesser used classical names for Ireland like Ierne, Iouernia and Iberio/Hiberio come from the same stem.

So it wasn't that they directly called it Hibernia because of the weather, but more because the Celtic name sounded "wintery" to them.

I'm sure the weather didn't help. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is irish weather so different to the weather in parts of england that the romans would have noted it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The claim I've heard is that Hibernia actually came from the old Celtic word for the island *Iveriu (where Ériu and subsequently Éire come from) that was then altered in Latin to Hibernia, as it sounded like the latin hibernus, meaning winter. Other lesser used classical names for Ireland like Ierne, Iouernia and Iberio/Hiberio come from the same stem.

So it wasn't that they directly called it Hibernia because of the weather, but more because the Celtic name sounded "wintery" to them.

Yeah. Think the really old word is something like piwerjon meaning fertile or land of plenty. There was a group in Kerry that were called the Iverni that retained this old name and then the Romans tried to force it to Hinernia which meant Winterland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is irish weather so different to the weather in parts of england that the romans would have noted it?

I think it is.

I spend some time each year in Berkshire and Kent and late spring/summer is usually just warmer than over here.
    Our weather here is more variable; when the sun breaks through the clouds it can be fairly hot, but 2 minutes later a cloud comes across, a south easterly wind pops up and it feels cold. Rinse and repeat 7 times an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

josip wrote: »
    I think it is.

I spend some time each year in Berkshire and Kent and late spring/summer is usually just warmer than over here.
    Our weather here is more variable; when the sun breaks through the clouds it can be fairly hot, but 2 minutes later a cloud comes across, a south easterly wind pops up and it feels cold. Rinse and repeat 7 times an hour.

Yes but the Romans were in Northern England too and that is not much different to here. Scotland's is worse, maybe that is why the built the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yes but the Romans were in Northern England too and that is not much different to here. Scotland's is worse, maybe that is why the built the wall.

I don’t think the Romans really knew what the weather was like in Ireland. They just knew it was out there and mysterious.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Or because of the Wildlings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »

They're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ipso wrote: »
    Yeah. Think the really old word is something like piwerjon meaning fertile or land of plenty.
    A Greek lad by the name of Strabo reckoned that Ireland's land was so fertile that cattle risked exploding from eating to much of the grass. :D
    Brian? wrote:
    I don’t think the Romans really knew what the weather was like in Ireland. They just knew it was out there and mysterious.
    They'd have had a fair idea of general things about the place as trade was going back and forth between here and Britain and the continent, so would have heard things about Ireland.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Strabo obviously didn’t make it to West Donegal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Solar_Orbiter_spots_campfires_on_the_Sun_annotated_article.jpg
    Remember the solar probe we launched a while back ?

Solar Orbiter’s first images reveal ‘campfires’ on the Sun

Maps of the sun don't stay current that long :o

KevRossi wrote: »
    You could run the lighting in a niteclub just by showing Italy. Over 60 changes of government.

italy-prime-ministers.png
    Colours are national flags, they missed a trick.

Italy's up to 70 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could really put Spain on the list , it would have been Franco ,Franco Franco till 70 whatever ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I'd say different enough - sure look at the amount of rain that falls in the West in comparison to Dublin, or even Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've often predicted the end of Evelyn Cusack or Siobhán Ryan's prediction of heavy rain as "Especially in the North and West"

Advertisement