Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1237306848606371840?s=19
    Time lapse from RTE showing the spread of Corona so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In a similar vein, I often think about how controlled flight progressed. It took just 40 years from the first flight across the Atlantic to men walking on the moon. You could argue that since then, aviation has comparably stood still in terms of achievement while focusing on comfort, speed and safety.

A tour guide I met at the Udvar Hazey centre (Smithsonian) at Dulles last Dec told us about the time when he was 5 and allowed on the flightdeck on the airliner he was on, the pilot signed has pass card. That pilot was one of the Wright brothers.... I forget which one he said but crazy to think of the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gaspode wrote: »
    Wow, Pico trekked across Florida, fair play thats some shark!

My doubts about Sharknado being a true story have now been confirmed :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

EPA Maps - in this one we can see Natural Heritage Areas (purple), Special Areas of Conservation (darker green) and Special Protection Areas (lighter green) - loads more options available.
    505181.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

EPA Maps - in this one we can see Natural Heritage Areas (purple), Special Areas of Conservation (darker green) and Special Protection Areas (lighter green) - loads more options available.

And more updates and options coming to it soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pre ESB, our town of Boyle was connected to lighting via a local mill, which generated power using turbines driven by the river beside it. According to the link, this was about 1901, which would mean Boyle was one of the first in Ireland i'd imagine, with electrically powered lighting

https://www.stewarts.ie/about-us/

Seems we came on ESB grid about 1966

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1R6t46z_YjERI_4pn-fFzVhWuCsU&hl=en&ll=53.798898616522216%2C-8.137703267863344&z=11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Last time I checked Switzerland wasn’t lumped in with Italy’s stats, despite them sharing a border.

Switzerland isn't an island

In a similar vein, I often think about how controlled flight progressed. It took just 40 years from the first flight across the Atlantic to men walking on the moon. You could argue that since then, aviation has comparably stood still in terms of achievement while focusing on comfort, speed and safety.
    Quite a lot of people at the end of the 19th century believed that every modern convenience that could ever be invented had being invented at that stage. But even just look at was invented in that period from 1900 up to circa 1960. Sometimes your imagination really is the limit.

Humans struggle with putting time in perspective.

Tim Urban though, made this to help us. It's class. Hard to believe it's over 6 years old at this stage!

https://waitbutwhy.com/2013/08/putting-time-in-perspective.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Aeroplanes don't really have anywhere new to explore. Modern commercial jets have gotten much more fuel efficient even as they have gotten faster. I do think it's a pity that commercial supersonic flight seems to be dead.

As for rocketry, the developments at spacex are pretty exciting, but we kind of need a proper commercially viable destination to drive the next really big change. Chemical rockets are a bit of a dead end anyway. You spend all your energy lugging around fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mikhail wrote: »
    Aeroplanes don't really have anywhere new to explore. Modern commercial jets have gotten much more fuel efficient even as they have gotten faster. I do think it's a pity that commercial supersonic flight seems to be dead.

As for rocketry, the developments at spacex are pretty exciting, but we kind of need a proper commercially viable destination to drive the next really big change. Chemical rockets are a bit of a dead end anyway. You spend all your energy lugging around fuel.

I'd say if you asked someone in 1970, where would aviation be by 2020, they would probably have suggested that they'd be much more widely used for personal transportation (similar to cars) than has turned out to be the case.

This site provides visualisation of popular surnames during censuses in Ireland from over 100 years ago.
    I found it very interesting in relation to my surname.

https://barrygriffin.com/surname-maps/surnames.php?surname=O%27Connell

Haven't seen it referred to elsewhere on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'd say if you asked someone in 1970, where would aviation be by 2020, they would probably have suggested that they'd be much more widely used for personal transportation (similar to cars) than has turned out to be the case.
    That'd have been all the lead in the air talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Map showing all the river catchments in Ireland.

The Shannon catchment is in red (roughly in the Centre), that of the rivers Barrow, Nore and Suir are in pink, the Erne is in yellow and the Liffey and Boyle are in slightly different shades of pale green.

11417_03613716_e906feab-0d80-418b-80c3-295600a13e62.jpeg

I'd love that as a wall poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

This site provides visualisation of popular surnames during censuses in Ireland from over 100 years ago.
    I found it very interesting in relation to my surname.

https://barrygriffin.com/surname-maps/surnames.php?surname=O%27Connell

Haven't seen it referred to elsewhere on this thread.

Nice. I like how certain surnames dominate in certain areas, a holdover from the Gaelic chieftan era.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

A tour guide I met at the Udvar Hazey centre (Smithsonian) at Dulles last Dec told us about the time when he was 5 and allowed on the flightdeck on the airliner he was on, the pilot signed has pass card. That pilot was one of the Wright brothers.... I forget which one he said but crazy to think of the connection

Wilbur died in 1912 and Orville died in 1948 at the age of 76. Your guide may have been thinking of someone else - there are a lot of other really famous aircraft in the Udvar Hazey

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikhail wrote: »
    Aeroplanes don't really have anywhere new to explore. Modern commercial jets have gotten much more fuel efficient even as they have gotten faster.
    The fastest commercial planes were those developed up to the 1973 Oil Crisis. After that, airlines when for slightly slower, but substantially more fuel efficient aircraft. They also started putting a lot more seats in the same-sized aircraft.
    I do think it's a pity that commercial supersonic flight seems to be dead.
    €+++ and CO2+++

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd love that as a wall poster

They're available. Link was posted earlier in thread.

They're available. Link was posted earlier in thread.

Wasn’t it only a link to buy a digital copy to try print yourself? I’d love one myself.

Wasn’t it only a link to buy a digital copy to try print yourself? I’d love one myself.

Correct.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/639734499/river-basins-of-the-island-of-ireland-in?ga_search_query=ireland&ref=shop_items_search_2&crt=1

But, no shortage of companies to print posters for you for very reasonable money. If you go to a walk in picture framing place, they might do the whole thing of printing and framing if you want to frame it.

• Advertisement

Must have a look for somewhere before I’d buy it. I never heard of the service before but we only have an A4 laser jobby in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Correct.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/639734499/river-basins-of-the-island-of-ireland-in?ga_search_query=ireland&ref=shop_items_search_2&crt=1

But, no shortage of companies to print posters for you for very reasonable money. If you go to a walk in picture framing place, they might do the whole thing of printing and framing if you want to frame it.

Lovely. I'll get that. Thanks

Amazed that there is a version that excludes Northern Ireland.. who'd buy that?

I think it's up there from a foreigner who doesn't "get Ireland".

Similar to how Reebok (in)famously tried to sell this:

ODIzMDVkNDNhMjFiNWZmZDE5YjU5NTQ5YjNhZTMxOGFyoYeCj5bzbNnkTmaAybCCaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vODg3MTBlNTlkZWE2ZDNhYmI3YWFjODNkNDViNDQ1OGFkNjM3NzI4YzNhY2YxYTA3MjdlNGZjMTg5MjAyOWE5ZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwyNDB4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/21/reebok-blames-design-error-for-regrettable-ufc-ireland-shirt

Thanks for the heads up :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

StreamAIR - an interactive map from NUIG that is a pollution forecasting tool.
    "Some Atmospheric pollutants have long atmospheric lifetimes so we may experience pollution advected into Ireland from afar. NOx, O3 & PM2.5 levels are combined and represented in Air Quality Status: Good, Fair or Poor. Poor Air Quality can be a major health hazard."
    http://streamair.nuigalway.ie/
    505259.JPG

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Earthquakes from inside the earth - this one is an animation, so I'm linking to the tweet rather than posting a stationary screenshot

https://twitter.com/MapScaping/status/1237601610378833922?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Is that Ireland there? Map is difficult to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Yep, Gaelic Football being the sport. Next to Ireland is Wales with Rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Yes and it's wrong depending on how you define most popular. "Soccer" is the most participated sport in Ireland.

Advertisement