Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

dan1895 wrote: »
    Yes and it's wrong depending on how you define most popular. "Soccer" is the most participated sport in Ireland.

Depends on definition

Association football has most participants, but less registered players (5-a-side/social games accounting for the difference).
    Gaelic football doesn’t really have a “social” form

Attendances has GAA as clear winner

TV tend to have the national soccer team as the best draw - although that’s not been as clear-cut in recent years with both rugby and GAA topping the viewing figures in certain years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

http://www.personalworldmap.org/

simple yet interesting interactive (with flash) personal world and travel time map.
    ...choose the center of your world and watch it go, then you can follow instructions on top :) for travel options, then choose different 'spaces' for diffferent effects (it's helpful to zoom in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

If time travel was real we could just hop in our DeLoreans and use this handy map as a guide for when we want to go.

time-travel-map-lellobird.jpg

From Cartographer Macdonal Gill. He did cartoon style Maps with a bit of humour to them. He's worth checking out for map enthusiasts. His map of the London Country Bus Service from 1928

CL189-24.JPG?v=1504843743

• Registered Users Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Google traffic map for Rome, Saturday afternoon

505547.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Guy Person wrote: »
    If time travel was real we could just hop in our DeLoreans and use this handy map as a guide for when we want to go.

time-travel-map-lellobird.jpg

That would make for an interesting game of mornington crescent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Most popular surnames in Europe.

1870ab2c207a4387908391c04f624fd2.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Hans Gruber was Austrian :eek:

That's Die Hard ruined for me now.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Nothing ruins Die Hard. I also now have an excuse to post this kind of but not really map of what floor all the bad guys in Die Hard died on.

diehard_map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

I’ve never seen Die Hard. I’ve seen all the constituent bits of Die Hard, but not in order. One of those movies I’ve always caught the last bit of, had to go do something else after the first bit, or a mix of the two.

Right. Back to maps...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nakatomi Plaza aka Fox Plaza in Century City, Los Angeles, California...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Plaza_(Los_Angeles)#/map/0

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If time travel was real...

'I don't know why people from the future are trying to kill me, I'm just a struggling artist'!

Adolf Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Map of Equatorial Guinea, São Tomé and Príncipe,

The Cameroon line is a 1,600 km (990 mi) chain of volcanoes. It includes islands in the Gulf of Guinea and mountains that extend along the border region of eastern Nigeria and western Cameroon, from Mount Cameroon on the Gulf of Guinea north and east towards Lake Chad.

GUINEA_ECUATORIAL.png

the Cameroon line consists of six offshore volcanic swells that have formed islands or seamounts.

The southernmost in the chain is the Equatorial Guinean island of Annobón, also known as Pagalu, with an area of about 17.5 km2 (6.8 sq mi)

São Tomé Island is 854 km2 (330 sq mi) in area, lying almost on the equator. The entire island is a massive shield volcano which rises from the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, over 3,000 m (10,000 ft) below sea level, and reaches 2,024 m (6,640 ft) above sea level

Príncipe is the smaller of the two major islands of São Tomé and Príncipe, with an area of 136 km2 (53 sq mi) The island is surrounded by several smaller islands. As with São Tomé, the island has always been isolated from the mainland and therefore has many unique species of plants and animals.

Bioko (part of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea) is just 32 km (20 mi) off the coast of Cameroon, on the continental shelf. The island used to be the end of a peninsula attached to the mainland, but was cut off when sea levels rose 10,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age. With an area of 2,017 km2 (779 sq mi) it is the largest island in the Cameroon line, and the site of Malabo, the capital of Equatorial Guinea

Two large seamounts lie between São Tomé and Príncipe, and between Principe and Bioko.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Map of Equatorial Guinea, São Tomé and Príncipe,

The Cameroon line is a 1,600 km (990 mi) chain of volcanoes. It includes islands in the Gulf of Guinea and mountains that extend along the border region of eastern Nigeria and western Cameroon, from Mount Cameroon on the Gulf of Guinea north and east towards Lake Chad.

GUINEA_ECUATORIAL.png

the Cameroon line consists of six offshore volcanic swells that have formed islands or seamounts.

The southernmost in the chain is the Equatorial Guinean island of Annobón, also known as Pagalu, with an area of about 17.5 km2 (6.8 sq mi)

São Tomé Island is 854 km2 (330 sq mi) in area, lying almost on the equator. The entire island is a massive shield volcano which rises from the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, over 3,000 m (10,000 ft) below sea level, and reaches 2,024 m (6,640 ft) above sea level

Príncipe is the smaller of the two major islands of São Tomé and Príncipe, with an area of 136 km2 (53 sq mi) The island is surrounded by several smaller islands. As with São Tomé, the island has always been isolated from the mainland and therefore has many unique species of plants and animals.

Bioko (part of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea) is just 32 km (20 mi) off the coast of Cameroon, on the continental shelf. The island used to be the end of a peninsula attached to the mainland, but was cut off when sea levels rose 10,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age. With an area of 2,017 km2 (779 sq mi) it is the largest island in the Cameroon line, and the site of Malabo, the capital of Equatorial Guinea

Two large seamounts lie between São Tomé and Príncipe, and between Principe and Bioko.

And ? :confused:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

greenspurs wrote: »
    And ? :confused:
    I guess it's a nice illustration of a the combination of a volcanic hotspot and tectonic plate movement. A similar process made the Galapagos, the Azores, and also the Hawaiian islands. That's why they are kind of strewn along a line.

The Mountains of Kong

A non-existent mountain range on maps of Africa from 1798 through to the late 1880s

505936.jpeg§

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I love the vague "Unknown Parts" on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Seasons on earth.

fun-maps-2-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

^^ Mad how western Europe is so protected from the white stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

^^ Mad how western Europe is so protected from the white stuff

Gotta love the Gulf Stream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gotta love the Gulf Stream.
    Living downwind of an ocean does most of the work of keeping the extreme cold away.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,747 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We are at the same latitude as Hudson Bay in Canada, which is thick with Polar bears. If it weren't for the gulf stream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Suckler

cnocbui wrote: »
    We are at the same latitude as Hudson Bay in Canada, which is thick with Polar bears. If it weren't for the gulf stream...

Yet people will still p1ss and moan about Irish weather being the worst. The novelty of extremes of cold & hot weather wear thin quite quick.

Freedom of press the world over from 2017

carte_2017_en-2-cp.png

^^ Fascinating

How Georgians see Europe
    ruka%20europe%20eccording%20to%20georgians.jpg

How Lithuanians see Europe

U7d8DET.jpg?1

And finally how the Irish see Europe
    0KvSzWd.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Britain after the Roman Empire in maps.

http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/maps/425_kingdoms.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,519 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Freedom of press the world over from 2017

Since the whole Brexit thing showed allegiances, I would suggest the UK should maybe be coloured orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How Lithuanians see Europe

U7d8DET.jpg?1

what is the cahors thing for bulgaria about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Popular with tourists i think...

Advertisement