Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash only shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Even if I have enough cash on me, I’d leave the items and go to the next shop if they didn’t offer card services.

Me too, only back from Spain and didn't use cash at all. Every bar and shop took the card regardless if it was only a few Euro
    With the banking costs it doesn't make sense to not accept card and say have to spend so much first (other than for the reasons already alluded to)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Bank fees can be higher with card payments than cash in the real world.

Obviously if you look at bank fees it will show that cash is more expensive to lodge than card payments. For a lot of businesses cash is cheaper. My local chipper takes no cards or cheques. Suppliers & staff get paid in cash. This does not mean that something dodgy is going on. It makes sense to pay everyone in cash. The chippy pays no bank fees on this cash at all. Any cash that needs to go into the bank will go into a savings account with free banking and transferred in one large sum into the business account. They could transfer let's say 5k and only pay one transfer fee. This is obviously much cheaper than paying a fee for each card transaction and renting a card machine.

For many businesses cash is cheaper than cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Your not Irish unless you fiddle your tax. Half the people I know do foxers every Saturday and then come 5pm they sit in the pub watching the match complaining to the barman about how the foreigners are ruining the country. Declare your foxers to revenue then complain about the Immigrants taking your money.

Anecdotes make the best stories

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FAET

Ally Dick wrote: »
    The question I have is, are they fiddling their taxes, or laundering money? There is a Chinese takeaway, and a laundrette where I live...both cash only. I've seen hairdressers and beauty salons which are the same as well

It is an attempt to fiddle taxes; including payroll taxes (whether worker illegal or not), which is bad for everyone (except possibly the "employer").

Money laundering wouldn't be dependent on whether or not they except card.

Your not Irish unless you fiddle your tax. Half the people I know do foxers every Saturday and then come 5pm they sit in the pub watching the match complaining to the barman about how the foreigners are ruining the country. Declare your foxers to revenue then complain about the Immigrants taking your money.

What is a foxer? Is that another name for a nixer?

• Advertisement

BuboBubo wrote:
    Are the card machines expensive? I've been given that excuse in shops a few times.

Yes they can be. 20 euros rental for the machine plus a percentage of the transaction. Transaction reverse /refund cost 3 euro even if the refund is 50 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭LeBash

I still pay with cash for 90% of what I buy. It's never been turned down once, the battery doesnt run out on it and the chip and pin has never been unreadable on it.

So if the revenue inspected these places, what would the excuses be? Sorry, not earning enough to pay or charge VAT? That won't wash. I know a tyre place that had a sign up for years claiming that their card machine was out of order. Eventually the revenue shut them down

One can pay & charge VAT without having a card machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So if the revenue inspected these places, what would the excuses be? Sorry, not earning enough to pay or charge VAT? That won't wash. I know a tyre place that had a sign up for years claiming that their card machine was out of order. Eventually the revenue shut them down

Cash is legal tender, if a business makes a decision to take only cash that's their choice, revenue may kick up a fuss but there's not a lot they can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

WTF is a foxer??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In my corner shop if you use your debit card you have to buy ten euro worth goods first so I always remember to have cash for that place.

That’s against the T&Cs of having the machine. Contact their bank. They cannot have a minimum charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

WTF is a foxer??
    It’s like a tommer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

That’s against the T&Cs of having the machine. Contact their bank. They cannot have a minimum charge.

My local Spar is at the same carry on. I went to buy a birthday card using a contactless visa card, the other day, and the cashier said he couldn't do it, and rudely pointed to the ATM in the shop. I put the card back and walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

A foxer is a nixer

*Think* it's a cork word for it , could be wrong

I've noticed that going hand in hand with cash only shops, is the absence of a receipt, which means you won't get a VAT breakdown...so I assume they are not paying VAT....e.g. on the fiddle

My local Spar is at the same carry on. I went to buy a birthday card using a contactless visa card, the other day, and the cashier said he couldn't do it, and rudely pointed to the ATM in the shop. I put the card back and walked out

It’s the only way they’ll learn if they lose enough business vs dodging the fees.
    Granted you’ll always have the issue of tinfoil hatters who want to keep using cash because google and the gubberment are going to steal their identities, but hopefully that fad will die down soon and we can get back to convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Cash in shops is faster than waiting for a machine to authorize a debit card, much prefer cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Honestly, I no longer blame anybody earning a few bob on the side given we spend things like 1.8m on a printer, send money into a black hole in our health service, 2bn on a hospital (and rising), 3bn + on broadband, and that's before I even mention some of the other waste.

If I could avoid paying tax on some of my income, I would.

(Important to note though, that the corner shop etc would still have bought their stuff off somebody, so its not like they can just sell everything at cash and not declare any of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was in croker for a match in the summer. Went to get a pint at half time n with all the clowns paying by card I didn't bother in the end.
    Dunno if they had exceeded the contactless limit or wifi issues or what but it was painful!
    Should be a bar for cash only imo- way faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The only places that I’ve come across that are still cash only are the barbers I go to and the local chipper.

I always presumed the barbers liked the cash only as it encouraged people to tip. They charge an uneven amount for a cut and I usually round up for the tip.

The local chipper has always been cash only. Been in the village for at least 20 years. ATM right beside it though, but if that’s out of order it can be a problem!

• Advertisement

What's the story with taxis? Are most of them still cash only? If I use a taxi app, will that be it, if I pay through the app using my card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

enricoh wrote: »
    Was in croker for a match in the summer. Went to get a pint at half time n with all the clowns paying by card I didn't bother in the end.
    Dunno if they had exceeded the contactless limit or wifi issues or what but it was painful!
    Should be a bar for cash only imo- way faster!

Badly planned bar so, in most cases its quicker than a lad having to have change for you. What would be great is if you could pay on your phone from your seat, and just pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

branie2 wrote: »
    Johnny Cash

No. Maggie Cash..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,887 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What's the story with taxis? Are most of them still cash only? If I use a taxi app, will that be it, if I pay through the app using my card?

The story with taxis got a good airing here recently.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111723345

enricoh wrote:
    Was in croker for a match in the summer. Went to get a pint at half time n with all the clowns paying by card I didn't bother in the end. Dunno if they had exceeded the contactless limit or wifi issues or what but it was painful! Should be a bar for cash only imo- way faster!

I was in Nowlan Park for a gig a few months ago. Phone lines for all card machines went down. Once admitted there was no readmission. Some younger people had no cash. They couldn't even buy a bottle of water.

I have a Revolut card and once a month or so I'm advised that their system is down & that I should carry a 2nd card.

In some states in the US they have made cashless shops illegal as they discriminate against people who don't have bank statements. These tend to be poorer people. I've nothing against cards. I use them myself but Cash is king. I wouldn't want to live in a cashless society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I was in Nowlan Park for a gig a few months ago. Phone lines for all card machines went down. Once admitted there was no readmission. Some younger people had no cash. They couldn't even buy a bottle of water.

I have a Revolut card and once a month or so I'm advised that their system is down & that I should carry a 2nd card.

In some states in the US they have made cashless shops illegal as they discriminate against people who don't have bank statements. These tend to be poorer people. I've nothing against cards. I use them myself but Cash is king. I wouldn't want to live in a cashless society.

We've had lots of issues with our ISP which meant our card machines went down too. Our merchant provider now supplies terminals with their own 3g/sim card so we're in the process of switching some of our terminals over. They cost extra per month but it's worth it for the handiness.

Cash in shops is faster than waiting for a machine to authorize a debit card, much prefer cash.

I buy my lunch every day using my phone to pay on a self service till. The longest part of the process is waiting for the receipt to print, and that only takes a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I buy my lunch every day using my phone to pay on a self service till. The longest part of the process is waiting for the receipt to print, and that only takes a few seconds.

Contactless is faster than cash any day and for larger transactions I'd still rather use my card or phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

blueshade wrote: »
    There's a massive problem with people being trafficked from China and Vietnam, especially to work in beauty salons etc. I notice a place that opened recently where even the men are doing nails and all the staff are wearing those surgical masks while on the premises. I do wonder if the staff have been trafficked and it businesses are cash only it might be to keep a lid on the trafficking. It's up to the owners as to what they lodge in the bank and if it's all that's going through the till. What about all these kebab/fast food shops too?
    That's very much like what English people said 25 years ago.

"he's irish, so probably a terrorist"

There are thousands of Vietnamese and Chinese people here fully legally. Many are studying and paying high fees and they are permitted to work too.

China and Vietnam have a large middle class group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Aubrielle Polite Tack

ive been to some places put a ten cent or so charge if you spend less than a tenner and wish to pay via card

Advertisement