Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash only shops

Options
  • 01-12-2019 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The question I have is, are they fiddling their taxes, or laundering money? There is a Chinese takeaway, and a laundrette where I live...both cash only. I've seen hairdressers and beauty salons which are the same as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The former, definitely. The latter, possible but not as likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Are the card machines expensive? I've been given that excuse in shops a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

I was on holidays recently and was offered discount on cash sale but none on card. Obviously tax dodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

Make CASH great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Are the card machines expensive? I've been given that excuse in shops a few times.

€20/month and the charge for debit cards is cheaper than the charge for lodging cash in a bank.

Credit card charge is less than 1%

No excuse these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Your not Irish unless you fiddle your tax. Half the people I know do foxers every Saturday and then come 5pm they sit in the pub watching the match complaining to the barman about how the foreigners are ruining the country. Declare your foxers to revenue then complain about the Immigrants taking your money.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There's an old style convenience shop across the road from my office that doesn't take card. It is surrounded by offices and a few tech companies. I can only imagine the sales they're missing out on. I rarely have cash so don't bother going in. I go to the other shop (a similar old style shop) a minute away that takes card and buy what I need there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My local Chinese is cash only. I like to order first then pop around to the shops and the ATM but it's a dangerous game because if the ATM is down, you're a bit screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You pay now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

There's a massive problem with people being trafficked from China and Vietnam, especially to work in beauty salons etc. I notice a place that opened recently where even the men are doing nails and all the staff are wearing those surgical masks while on the premises. I do wonder if the staff have been trafficked and it businesses are cash only it might be to keep a lid on the trafficking. It's up to the owners as to what they lodge in the bank and if it's all that's going through the till. What about all these kebab/fast food shops too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Tippsman wrote: »
    Make CASH great again.

She seems to be doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Darc19 wrote:
    Credit card charge is less than 1%

1% is a significant margin when running a business

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tippsman wrote: »
    Make CASH great again.

Johnny Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The point was that it isn't free to lodge cash.
    You will also be charged for bags of coins as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

I think it's common enough in small shops/butchers etc in towns not to accept card.. The old school businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Chinese in a town where I work also cash only. First time I used it, rang ahead, ordered, arrived in to pay with card, sorry cash only. Running around like a fool trying to find a cash machine. Never used them again.

So much for aiming for a cashless society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

So if the revenue inspected these places, what would the excuses be? Sorry, not earning enough to pay or charge VAT? That won't wash. I know a tyre place that had a sign up for years claiming that their card machine was out of order. Eventually the revenue shut them down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ally Dick wrote: »
    So if the revenue inspected these places, what would the excuses be? Sorry, not earning enough to pay or charge VAT? That won't wash. I know a tyre place that had a sign up for years claiming that their card machine was out of order. Eventually the revenue shut them down

I've heard that certain ethnic restaurants are a favourite target of inspections for Revenue; almost always churns up a juicy tax settlement for the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

CFlat wrote: »
    Chinese in a town where I work also cash only. First time I used it, rang ahead, ordered, arrived in to pay with card, sorry cash only. Running around like a fool trying to find a cash machine. Never used them again.

When you rang ahead, why didn't you confirm whether they took card or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In my corner shop if you use your debit card you have to buy ten euro worth goods first so I always remember to have cash for that place.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

At this stage it's a small price compared to sales you are losing out on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I tend to use card for everything bar a bar of chocolate or something.
    The only places I know of that don't take card are hairdressers. Usually a single hairdresser, cash in hand business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Any small business can now get a card reader quite cheaply but the problem with that is it leaves a trail for tax purposes. The only reason for being cash only is avoiding tax.

A friend of mine who has her own small business providing beauty services was told by her accountant not to take card payments for this very purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The merchant (shop) will pay card fees on every transaction.

In some cases, it will be a flat unit fee - like €0.15.

In other cases, it will be based on the value of a transaction, say 1.75%.

The key determining factor is the type of card (debit or credit) and the reputation of the merchant (small player or big company). There is an assessment fee, an interchange fee and the margin taken by the acquirer (Elavon etc).

As an example, a €10 chip shop takeaway could cost anywhere between €0.15 and €0.18. That's quite significant as it is coming out of their pocket.

The advantage is that they don't have the security risk of a tonne of cash in the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A cashless society is a scary thought if you value human rights.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Beggars on the street will be dreading the day we go cash only

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Beggars on the street will be dreading the day we go cash only

Try again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i would say there is a ferocious amount of shenanigans going on with asian restaurants, salons, phone shops etc. both in terms of tax and people trafficking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In my corner shop if you use your debit card you have to buy ten euro worth goods first so I always remember to have cash for that place.

They're breaking MC/Visa's terms of use - you are not supposed to impose a minimum spend

• Advertisement

Even if I have enough cash on me, I’d leave the items and go to the next shop if they didn’t offer card services.

Advertisement