Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash only shops

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in Sweden at the moment. I've seen shops here with signs saying cash not accepted. You'd never see that in Ireland!
    I was in Iceland a couple of years ago for 4 days. I never once used cash, nor do I even know what Icelandic currency looked like because I never saw any or saw anyone else use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I was in Rotterdam last year and a good few places did not take card and those that did not take VISA- only Mastercard. We only learnt this in the pubs. My Dutch BIL said that VISA is not popular for whatever reason.
    The Dutch banks seem fixed on Maestro as their payment method. I still have a Dutch bank account from when I lived there and you can't actually get a Visa debit card at all, only credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

not sure if this is the correct thread to put this in but my dad phoned me tonight and said that the builder that he's planning on using for a job he's getting done has advised him that he will do a cash deal for him where he will pay cash and they will split the vat so I think my dad is only paying 7.5% instead of the 13.5% he would usually pay. Surely this is taking the Mickey. I've advised him not to do it but surely if he was paying in cash he wouldn't be paying any vat instead of paying only some of it. I've advised him to walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In other words the builder gets an additional 7.5% for the job and think of when there may be a problem with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's expense involved in having a credit card machine, I don't think it's just to avoid paying tax, you can still ask for a receipt. It's only small local shops that do this. I think you mean nixers, I don't know that word foxers. In China beggars use apps to accept money,. I think in 10 years time it'll be hard to pay for anything with cash you'll need an app or a credit card. I would presume revenue would be checking up on phone shops and salons.

• Advertisement

Walk away. Your da might think he's saving money at first glance, but if the builder is a cowboy (which he might be if he's going down this road) fux the whole thing up then your da has no financial recompense. You can only pursue the builder for what you can prove you paid him, and like I said if you go the way of cash-in-hand payments then enjoy your so-called VAT savings when your roof collapses after rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Taking debit cards can work out cheaper or at the very least the same as cash with less hassle (credit cards depends on your contract)

Advertisement