Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Bridge Incident - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

costing the tax payer money is irrelevant when it comes to criminality, and is not a justifiable reason to shoot people, especially given britain quite rightly does not have the death penalty.
    so unless such force was actually required due to endangerment of life, then no not shoot the vermin i'm afraid.

If they thought he had a bomb that could potentially result in more fatalities then they absolutely were right to shoot him. I mean, the officer couldn't know that it was a hoax and he was put in the position of having to make a split second judgement call without the luxury of having more time to investigate. He can't be blamed for that. If it was real and the guy had detonated it then people would be asking why he wasn't shot before that happened. The police can't win can they? I'm glad to see they are taking a fast response, no tolerance stance towards crap like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Has anyone got a video showing the " hoax bomb ", I am actually struggling with that part if I am honest.

What are you struggling with moron?

costing the tax payer money is irrelevant when it comes to criminality, for where tax money has to be spent to have a proper justice system.
    someone costing the tax payer money is not a justifiable reason to shoot people, and quite rightly is not used as such reasoning.
    what is the justified reason, and is the reason used, is the danger an individual poses at that exact time.

I like you EOTR but you struggle with the concept of the greater good. The attacker today appeared to have a bomb attached to him. Surrounding the attacker were 1000s and 1000s of people who had to be protected from the consequences of the bomb detonating. The police had to neutralize the attacker in order to protect all of those people. The police didn’t have time to “reason”. This always seems to go over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

Police had no option other than kill the prizk. Watch the videos, the 3 cops closest too him were getting ready to run as soon as they got the civilian clear. They had no idea that the device wasn’t viable .... perfectly legal shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Interesting to note that the UK's terrorist level was actually reduced, because it had less terrorist attacks this year, before this one happened at London Bridge today. An eyewitness was saying earlier, via the BBC, that the attacker was wearing all of his clothes in black with the now (confirmed) hoax suicide vest placed over it.

Also some breaking news coming in from the BBC this evening.

London Transport Police are to increase the number of officers on duty on TfL's transport network around it's capital throughout this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The official terror level may have been reduced but clearly the readiness for same had not.
    in terms of the forthcoming election, who benefits from this?

Hopefully no one, if there was an advantage it would mean one of the political leaders (or other senior members) had said something monumentally stupid. Hmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

moby2101 wrote: »
    Police had no option other than kill the prizk. Watch the videos, the 3 cops closest too him were getting ready to run as soon as they got the civilian clear. They had no idea that the device wasn’t viable .... perfectly legal shooting.

It is great that it was all got on video so there is no "but he could have..." or "how do you know he didn't ..." debate nonsense afterwards by contrarian bleeding hearts. Neutralised and good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

BDI wrote: »
    What about the guys who get up and just want to work their farm and raise their kids? Or what about the kids?

I believe all people who kill innocent people should die screaming by murder not just the black ones who kill the white ones.

So we should just leave isis to it to murder and capture as many of the "wrong" kind of muslims and other minorities as they want in their home countries? Then theyll leave us alone right?

Another one down. Great outcome for all.

Suspending campaigning is OTT I think, business as usual is a cliche reaction to a drama but it's usually the right one. Pausing to give nutters their moment in the media is always an error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Another one down. Great outcome for all.

I am sure the five innocent people stabbed today totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

moby2101 wrote: »

I wonder, if the shooting was a little on the line between legal and illegal. Could the police claim it was a shooting in a war (certain different rules apply) since if it were ISIS they claim it's a war

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I wonder, if the shooting was a little on the line between legal and illegal. Could the police claim it was a shooting in a war (certain different rules apply) since if it were ISIS they claim it's a war

No they couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Even when they manage to arrest some they should take em out back and shoot em.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Even when they manage to arrest some they should take em out back and shoot em.

LOL

Tzardine wrote: »
    I am sure the five innocent people stabbed today totally agree.

That only means he should have been gunned down sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Remember Bobby Sands went on hunger strike because they wouldn’t treat him like a prisoner of war?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I wonder what Lisa Smith is planning. Every other country disowns traitors, we fly them home first class and then put the kettle on for tea and biscuits.

foreign isis fighters have been deported and in other cases come back to their countries of origin of their own accord.
    so we aren't doing anything different.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    I like you EOTR but you struggle with the concept of the greater good. The attacker today appeared to have a bomb attached to him. Surrounding the attacker were 1000s and 1000s of people who had to be protected from the consequences of the bomb detonating. The police had to neutralize the attacker in order to protect all of those people. The police didn’t have time to “reason”. This always seems to go over your head.

nothing has gone over my head, i even edited the post to give such clarification.
    what is the justified reason, and is the reason used, is the danger an individual poses at that exact time.
    I don’t feel bad about anyone carpet bombing iSIS, they can use white phosphorus on the ***** for all I care

apparently they can't as white phosphorous is banned under international law. so therefore you have to care if it is used as if the west does not abide by international law, then we have less of a complaint when others play those elements of the west breaking such law, at their own game, which in turn may effect us.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It’s no where near illegal. What are you talking about? What law was nearly broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If there is an apprehend rather than kill policy then I think that should be changed in light of the kinds of terror attacks that we have seen in France and UK over the last few years. Frankly I don't think it is worth apprehending them in order to get some info from them. They won't talk anyway given the fundamentalist psychology of these people. I think even if you could get info from them it's worth loosing it to take away the risk of them having any chance of killing anyone else. I wonder if the killers of Lee Rigby who are now behind bars revealed anything worthwhile? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s no where near illegal. What are you talking about? What law was nearly broken?

my post was purely hypothetical

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We have no fight with isis. We arnt in their countries controlling who gets to win elections. We don’t carpet bomb people.

Where the cr** are you coming up with this shyte about carpet bombing.

That is oh so 60s with Vietnam.

You can carry out precise strikes now that you don't need to send out B52s to blast the shyte out of whole areas.

But of course that wouldn't have the old heart string tugging now would it and have the old connotation of leveling entire cities.

Also look up what the likes of ISIS and Boko Haram stand for.
    This is a legacy issue from years of imperialism. They can’t just carpet bomb countries because the rich people in these countries have oil and the first world wants doesn’t like the price of it. Some of these countries are just neighbours of countries that have oil and they want to put boots and weapons at the border. If somebody gets elected that wants to move them out they get unelected.

These people arnt just nutters trying to kill everyone. They are nutters who are tired of their life, tired of their people getting bombed, tired of not being able to have a country that isn’t getting interfered with. They are trying to raise awareness of this by doing stupid horrible things but they are fighting a propaganda monster that has been raping and pillaging countries since queen elizabeth.

Would you have been happy with them carpet bombing Ireland at the time of the troubles?

They would have only for we were white and it’d be hard to get away with that. So they got the loyalists to do it for them instead quietly.

Would you shut up about carpet bombing.

How do you account for a Brit who was reared in Britain, whose parents are from the West Indies, who was raised a christian, but since become muslim, decides to help hack the head off an off duty soldier on a London St ?

Who was bombing his country and trying to elect a government ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The policeman did the right thing.

When the Garda shot the man who kidnapped and murdered the young lady in the Dublin Mountains, after he thought he was reaching for something in his car, he was exonerated. Rightly so.

Reports of two dead, unconfirmed obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

This is a legacy issue from years of imperialism. They can’t just carpet bomb countries because the rich people in these countries have oil and the first world wants doesn’t like the price of it. Some of these countries are just neighbours of countries that have oil and they want to put boots and weapons at the border. If somebody gets elected that wants to move them out they get unelected.

These people arnt just nutters trying to kill everyone. They are nutters who are tired of their life, tired of their people getting bombed, tired of not being able to have a country that isn’t getting interfered with. They are trying to raise awareness of this by doing stupid horrible things but they are fighting a propaganda monster that has been raping and pillaging countries since queen elizabeth.

Would you have been happy with them carpet bombing Ireland at the time of the troubles?

They would have only for we were white and it’d be hard to get away with that. So they got the loyalists to do it for them instead quietly.

We're at the terrorist sympathizing bit already?

Damn, these threads move fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Reports of two dead, unconfirmed obviously

Just read that on the BBC.

What a waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What about the guys who get up and just want to work their farm and raise their kids? Or what about the kids?

I believe all people who kill innocent people should die screaming by murder not just the black ones who kill the white ones.

You remind me of a very infamous one time poster around these parts who had reached the stage where he was giving excuses for suicide bombers on threads about attacks in Europe.

And you are also the first person to bring the colour of someones skin in this.
    What about the "evil" American and British military that are black ?
    What about the white islamists like Kalid kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

There's a couple of people murdered in London on average every week.

To hear that Boris has returned to Downing Street to be 'briefed' about some nutter who killed 2 people would be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

Absolutely ridiculous carry on by the media and Govt. stirring up fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

jmayo wrote: »
    You remind me of a very infamous one time poster around these parts who had reached the stage where he was giving excuses for suicide bombers on threads about attacks in Europe.

And you are also the first person to bring the colour of someones skin in this.
    What about the "evil" American and British military that are black ?
    What about the white islamists like Kalid kelly?

The first thing people on boards do that don’t agree with you is suggest you are some other poster they didn’t agree with before.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why is there a big truck blocking the road? Is that involved in the attack also?

I think the lorry was just trying to turn in the road along with other cars that managed to do so. I think the police arrived before he could complete manoeuvre. This video is earlier than the others on this thread and it’s facing forward. Most of the cars have gone on the other vids posted.

https://twitter.com/sharknewswires/status/1200420158419935232?s=21

Advertisement