Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

MisterJinx wrote: »
    True if you get one of the grey ones. I had one and returned it. Got a neon blue one instead which is visible day and night and when the light hits it it turns Hi-Viz. Most of the time I just look like a blue highlighter pen :D

Yes, I've only seen the ones that look grey in sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't know what I'll do if an authority figure ever has that conversation with me. I suppose my Father Ted-style "that would be an epidemiological matter" might work.

I still have not met a Garda who can tell me what "Hi-Viz" in Gaeilge is.
    In fairness most Gaelgoirs might struggle as well. :D

high visibility vest = veist sofheicthe / veist lonrach
    high visibility jacket = seaicéad sofheicthe / seaicéad lonrach

I've always like the way the J sound goes to Sh in Irish. Fairly elaborately in Seoirse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Crimecall using a video of people walking on footpaths with and without vests as an example as why you should wear one as those on the footpath with one are easier to see. If a car is going to mount a footpath no vest will save you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i always regard those stories - especially if assisted by the gardai when they're made - as being a 'look, we've given up. you're on your own' admission.

• Advertisement

Nadia Williams wrote about some of her research on hi-viz and perception of safety with regard to cycling:
    https://twitter.com/racingboo/status/1331173021453836288

Ian Walker noticed:
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1331174116917993472

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

She clearly wasn’t listening out or paying attention. Turning without looking and signalling is just plain stupid.

I’m not sure what difference a helmet will have if hit by a car however, they’re only going to protect you from a fall, not from being crushed by a car.

High viz is also of questionable utility, a recent court case in the UK where a cyclist was killed say the defendant argue that the cyclist’s high viz made them blend into the trees.

A good set of lights and situational awareness are key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

dubbrin wrote: »
    If you know anyone who's a bit lax on the safety please tell them to put that lid on and wear something high viz.

If you know anyone

How would that have helped? You saw her in plenty time as you say visibility wasn't an issue, the sudden turn was. But thankfully your decent driving meant nothing happened.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you know anyone who's a bit lax on the safety please tell them to put that lid on and wear something high viz.

If you know anyone

First of all, well done on the quick reactions, the cyclist got very lucky. It very rare for any road user to give absolutely no hint they are going to change direction. The Helmet and Hi Vis though are not the issue here, they will and would have achieved nothing. You had already seen the person. Lights should help you see them earlier if visibility is reduced, and them using common sense such as looking around, indicating and being aware is far more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,679 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nearly mowed down a youngster yesterday. Country road near ballincollig. I know the road, came upon her at a bend so hung back until the straight afterwards. Noted she wasn't very visible but thought nothing more of it. Round corner, road clear, indicate and move right over to give max clearance. Accelerate to pass and she does a hard right with no warning. I slammed on and my Abs let me steer back to the left to avoid her. Fricking close one. I'm glad I was paying attention. The road was clear ahead so I was watching her. Helmet on the bars.... Best place for it..... She got a right fright though and I stopped and explained a few things

If you know anyone

Throughout the whole situation you could clearly see her so why the stupid hi-viz comment at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Because she wasn't paying road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Throughout the whole situation you could clearly see her so why the stupid hi-viz comment at the end?

You've done very well to read the whole post yourself, you should be able to get the context and appreciate that increasing your visibility on the road is a good idea regardless of what is moving you along. Maybe you've misunderstood my post as one looking for a debate on the matters raised, or a stupid troll response. I'm simply making an example and hoping others think about it within the context of my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

You've done very well to read the whole post yourself, you should be able to get the context and appreciate that increasing your visibility on the road is a good idea regardless of what is moving you along. Maybe you've misunderstood my post as one looking for a debate on the matters raised, or a stupid troll response. I'm simply making an example and hoping others think about it within the context of my experience.

I think breezy's point might have been what added benefit would the hi viz clothing have given in this encounter. You had already seen the cyclist without it.

Looks like quite a few of us have misunderstood then.
    The person on the bike was in the wrong to cut across you but what has that got to do with hi-vis.

Maybe you are just trying to be nice and give some advice but almost every day the cycling forum has someone coming playing the edgelord with some anecdotal story about how we all need to wear hi-vis or similar nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What colour is your car BTW? And what colour is the crash helmet you use when driving?

If a cyclist is in broad daylight, on a country road, or has adequate lighting and other surrounding traffic is driving appropriately, then Hi Vis doesn't add to visibility. A Hi Vis jacket in rural areas is often believed to blend in with the hedgerow, and at night, if the driver has dimmed their lights, will not reflect back any light. A proper set of lights is visible a few 100m away.

It is not a go at you, but more a hope that you appreciate the flaws with promoting Hi Vis as a visibility aid outside of a dull grey worksite. The issue in your encounter is the cyclists dangerous cycling and lack of awareness, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

CramCycle wrote: »
    If a cyclist is in broad daylight, on a country road, or has adequate lighting and other surrounding traffic is driving appropriately, then Hi Vis doesn't add to visibility. A Hi Vis jacket in rural areas is often believed to blend in with the hedgerow, and at night, if the driver has dimmed their lights, will not reflect back any light. A proper set of lights is visible a few 100m away.

It is not a go at you, but more a hope that you appreciate the flaws with promoting Hi Vis as a visibility aid outside of a dull grey worksite. The issue in your encounter is the cyclists dangerous cycling and lack of awareness, nothing else.

As a driver and cyclist of 20 years this has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard yet "high vis doesn't add to visibility" then throws in anecdotal statement abouts blending into hedge rows, the exact opposite of what high vis is designed for.
    I spend my days driving and cycling around west Wicklow, blessington lakes and surrounding mountains. Lack of awareness is down to the individual be they in a car or on a bike. Genuinely dumbfounded by your argument.

Just an edit to add I'm well aware cyclists don't like being asked or told to wear high vis but to detract from the blindingly obvious benifts of any extra visibility aid is simply stupid. Excuse my language but I think it fits in well with the tone

I'm not sure where to begin as your post doesn't seem to follow itself logically but, and just to be clear, I wasn't arguing with the poster, I was pointing out why others might not see the point in mentioning Hi Vis. First, the poster had already seen the cyclist, so it clearly didn't add anything there and two, neither the Hi Vis or Helmet would have changed what happened in regards the cyclist being a complete f*ck wit and nearly getting themselves killed.
    As a driver and cyclist of 20 years this has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard yet "high vis doesn't add to visibility" then throws in anecdotal statement abouts blending into hedge rows, the exact opposite of what high vis is designed for.
    Hi Vis jackets, or builders vests were designed for identification on sites where their bright colour would stand out for machinery operators in a closed environment that is predominately going to be dark/grey/drab colours. They were not designed for pedestrians or cyclists out and about. Its been used in court as a defense for not seeing a cyclist. Do I agree, not really. I would be of the opinion that in broad daylight, you can either see someone or you can't. If you can't, you should not be driving in that situation, or possibly at all. I see people with ease in black at night and I see walkers with Hi Vis in daylight with ease as well. Blending into Hedgerow is often mentioned but my own opinion is quite clear, whether that is true or not is irrelevant, if you can't see a person in broad daylight, what they are wearing will make little difference if you are not paying attention.
    If you, as a driver of 20 years, see the rear light of a cyclist from 500m away at night, dim your lights then two things have happened. First, you have seen them before you notice their Hi Vis, therefore it doesn't add anything in that context, you either have seen them or you haven't. Second, if you have dimmed your lights as would be appropriate, you are no longer shining light onto the Hi Vis jacket, which is what the retro reflective bands need to be seen. Now if someone had said at retroreflective material to ankles, that would make sense, and would be a visual aid.
    I spend my days driving and cycling around west Wicklow, blessington lakes and surrounding mountains. Lack of awareness is down to the individual be they in a car or on a bike. Genuinely dumbfounded by your argument
    There is no argument, you have said exactly what I said, lack of awareness is down to the individual, it is not an argument. I really don't get what your point is as you seem to use the tone of an argument but yet agree with what i have said?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I came across a cyclist last summer. He was wearing a Green long sleeved top and a Yellow, Hi-Viz builders tyre jacket. He was cycling along a rural road where the Sun (Yellow) was shining through the trees (Green) and he was cycling past a high, 6foot+ tall hedge, which had Green leaves, which looked yellow in the sunlight.

This guy would have been much easier to see if he was wearing all black.

Nearly mowed down a youngster yesterday. Country road near ballincollig. I know the road, came upon her at a bend so hung back until the straight afterwards. Noted she wasn't very visible but thought nothing more of it. Round corner, road clear, indicate and move right over to give max clearance. Accelerate to pass and she does a hard right with no warning. I slammed on and my Abs let me steer back to the left to avoid her. Fricking close one. I'm glad I was paying attention. The road was clear ahead so I was watching her. Helmet on the bars.... Best place for it..... She got a right fright though and I stopped and explained a few things

If you know anyone

If I knew that cyclists I'd be advising them to look over their shoulder before turning right!

• Advertisement

What is it about the eyesight of the average motorist that they have these problems.

When I'm cycling I never come across a situation where I can't see a car/bike/person to the extent that hi-vis would be the difference between a crash or not.

As long as the car/bike has the legally required lights there should be no problem

I spend my days driving and cycling around west Wicklow, blessington lakes and surrounding mountains. Lack of awareness is down to the individual be they in a car or on a bike. Genuinely dumbfounded by your argument.

Just an edit to add I'm well aware cyclists don't like being asked or told to wear high vis but to detract from the blindingly obvious benifts of any extra visibility aid is simply stupid. Excuse my language but I think it fits in well with the tone

What colour is your car Chuck?

What colour is your car Chuck?

I'm colour blind.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I came across a cyclist last summer. He was wearing a Green long sleeved top and a Yellow, Hi-Viz builders tyre jacket. He was cycling along a rural road where the Sun (Yellow) was shining through the trees (Green) and he was cycling past a high, 6foot+ tall hedge, which had Green leaves, which looked yellow in the sunlight.

This guy would have been much easier to see if he was wearing all black.
    Hard to take that reply seriously to be honest. The whole point of high vis/reflective clothing is to have them used in poor light situations where cars etc will already have lights on in early morning or late evening. So are you saying most of the top cycling clothing manufacturers are providing gimmicks by adding reflective materials to their clothing ?

I'm colour blind.

You'll find the details on motocheck.ie.

Let me guess, black or navy, while you swan around lecturing others about bright colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Chr1st, this conversation is exactly why it's painful to come onto the cycling forum anymore, as far as I could see there was no ill intent on the part of the poster and he's met with the usual diatribe from the same group of posters.

Maybe it's time this became a closed forum for likeminded individuals. It's not a very friendly place to be.

Hard to take that reply seriously to be honest. The whole point of high vis/reflective clothing is to have them used in poor light situations where cars etc will already have lights on in early morning or late evening. So are you saying most of the top cycling clothing manufacturers are providing gimmicks by adding reflective materials to their clothing ?

No. I'm just saying their are situations where wearing a Hi-viz is not the best option i.e Daylight. Note: I didn't say the guy was invisible either. I did see him and so did everyone else.

Etc wrote: »
    Chr1st, this conversation is exactly why it's painful to come onto the cycling forum anymore, as far as I could see there was no ill intent on the part of the poster and he's met with the usual diatribe from the same group of posters.

Maybe it's time this became a closed forum for likeminded individuals. It's not a very friendly place to be.

Every week there are a couple of these people of no "ill intent" who like to tell cyclists what they are doing wrong. Fellas in black/dark cars telling us we need high vis and pontificating from their urban tractors about what equipment we should use.

He could have just told the story without the incorrect crap at the end and all would be fine

Etc wrote: »

Most people said well done on the driving, everyone thinks the cyclist was a dangerous idiot, and thankfully the poster was paying attention and quick to respond.
    Personally I wish everyone who drove paid as close attention, the roads would feel safer.
    A small bit of education on the Hi Vis thing is hardly mean or offensive, its simply pointing it out because a thought like this can fester and some people think that giving out to a cyclist for not wearing Hi Vis is acceptable when in reality, its not. In this case, there is a list of things that cyclist can be given out for and its a pity that the poster didn't have a dash cam as that cyclist deserved a fine or day in court.

Anyway, as Buffalo pointed out above, probably best to move this conversation to the Hi Vis thread as its derailing this one (well, already has)

• Advertisement

You'll find the details on motocheck.ie.

Let me guess, black or navy, while you swan around lecturing others about bright colours?

It's a grey golf. Bright colours have nothing to do with the conversation unless you have missed the point. High vis refers to the reflective/fluorescent material Normally. It's pointless talking about the background colours if you are of the mindset that fluorescent high vis plays no part in road safety.

Advertisement