Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think the key point here is that both road users need to be aware of each other and assume they're going to the wrong thing, regardless of what the law says that they should do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Quick question on garda traffic watch - how long does it usually take for the station to call back after you notify traffic watch of a dangerous/inconsiderate overtake?
    Phoned them on Monday morning and have heard nothing back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Quick question on garda traffic watch - how long does it usually take for the station to call back after you notify traffic watch of a dangerous/inconsiderate overtake?

Took them 2/3 days to contact me when I made a report a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

juicer wrote: »
    Took them 2/3 days to contact me when I made a report a few months ago.

Can vary hugely, first time I logged a complaint a couple of years ago I didn't get a call back for about 2 months and Garda had to remind me of the incident as I had logged another one in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I didn't notice the coffee first time but on first watch no one was at fault. A car slowly indicated and turned ahead of a bike that had plenty of time to saunter past. All I see is 2 considerate road users

Exactly. Storm in a teacup.... or a coffee cup if you prefer

• Advertisement

I'm believe this is someone on here...
    https://twitter.com/alanstrainor/status/1327225149293260801

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I haven’t posted in this thread before because I don’t have a camera while cycling but this morning I had my absolute worst encounter yet. Coming from Delgany out onto the N11 just as I was merging from the slip road a boy racer type car absolutely blew past me. He was coming from Delgany too. I’m not exaggerating when I say he must have been doing between 120 and 140 kph. If I had bent my elbow outwards I would have hit the car. He left no room for error whatsoever. Was it deliberate? I wouldn’t be surprised. I was apoplectic shouting at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It is indeed Alan lovely lad I'm delighted he reported it.

Truckermal wrote: »
    It is indeed Alan lovely lad I'm delighted he reported it.
    ...for what it was worth :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Still nothing back on the incident I reported a month ago after a great response to the first two guards it was passed to its now been almost 3 weeks since it was assigned to a third and nothing yet. I left a message with the station to contact me at anytime to discuss but nothing yet.

Looking back over my streamable heres two incidents from the same Airport Hopper driver. After much chasing the guard eventually said that there wasn't enough to prosecute anything.

Make up your own minds. The pass https://streamable.com/vm6xo and his actions after I pulled him up on it. He drives right up to my back wheel then pulls along side me and pushes in on me https://streamable.com/exvcs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I haven’t posted in this thread before because I don’t have a camera while cycling but this morning I had my absolute worst encounter yet. Coming from Delgany out onto the N11 just as I was merging from the slip road a boy racer type car absolutely blew past me. He was coming from Delgany too. I’m not exaggerating when I say he must have been doing between 120 and 140 kph. If I had bent my elbow outwards I would have hit the car. He left no room for error whatsoever. Was it deliberate? I wouldn’t be surprised. I was apoplectic shouting at him.

That slip is lethal since they changed it. Most traffic entering the N11 treat it like a runway. Very difficult to negotiate even if you're on the N11 and tryong to pass it. I try to avoid if I can

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A thing I done many years ago before I got a helmet camera was strapping my sh1tty front light onto my helmet (not o pretend to be a camera but just it fitted there, but it looked like one). It probably wouldn't have changed this drivers behaviour but I have noticed that when I have some thing like that in a prominent position it reduces the number of close passes significantly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

What about ordering a custom made hi Vis online with GARDA on it or GADRA (sic) to avoid being prosecuted for impersonation.

It might slow people down and force them to overtake properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What about ordering a custom made hi Vis online with GARDA on it or GADRA (sic) to avoid being prosecuted for impersonation.

It might slow people down and force them to overtake properly.

Something like this from the UK?
    BACK-POLITE-THINK-BIKE-WAISTCOAT-BLACK-TAPE-CYCLING-MOTORBIKE-500x500_920x.jpg?v=1511867138

There is a specific offence of impersonating a Garda, so tread carefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

There is a specific offence of impersonating a Garda, so tread carefully.

Does Gadra count though?

I used to live in the Netherlands, whenever I see the polite vests around here for a second I instinctively think Politie (the Dutch for police).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Does Garda count though?

I used to live in the Netherlands, whenever I see the polite vests around here for a second I instinctively think Politie (the Dutch for police).
    60 .— (1) A person is guilty of an offense if he or she—

( a ) impersonates a member of the Garda Síochána, or

( b ) makes any statement or does any act calculated falsely to suggest that he or she is such a member.

It doesn't specify. I'd imagine it's been left deliberately open so that the Gardai can interpret as necessary

There is a courier company in Dublin that had those Polite high-viz motorbike vests for ages. I assume if there was an issue then they wouldn't have lasted so long.
    I see on their website that they're even selling them! https://www.cyclone.ie/new-products/cyclone-polite-hi-viz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're in dublin, which is crucial, as the gardai don't use the word 'police' on their vests or livery, so it'd be unreasonable to try to claim you were impersonating them.

putting 'GADRA' on a vest would be an obvious breach of the act as it's quite clear you want people to think you're a garda at first glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Does Garda count though?

Lol. Likewise, here in the Greater Montreal area, I see a lot of Garda trucks, but though they look like tactical unit trucks, they are from a local money transport/security firm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I wear a Dublin bus one when cycling in Dublin, busses steer well clear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wear a Dublin bus one when cycling in Dublin, busses steer well clear
    The stories I've heard from past and present DB staff, it'd probably make you a target :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

putting 'GADRA' on a vest would be an obvious breach of the act as it's quite clear you want people to think you're a garda at first glance.

I remember seeing a guy wearing a vest like this at a festival a few years back.
    I asked him about it and he said it was a kids size, and he bought it from a large chain in Dublin, sold as a kids costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

tnegun wrote: »
    Still nothing back on the incident I reported a month ago after a great response to the first two guards it was passed to its now been almost 3 weeks since it was assigned to a third and nothing yet. I left a message with the station to contact me at anytime to discuss but nothing yet.

Looking back over my streamable heres two incidents from the same Airport Hopper driver. After much chasing the guard eventually said that there wasn't enough to prosecute anything.

Make up your own minds. The pass https://streamable.com/vm6xo and his actions after I pulled him up on it. He drives right up to my back wheel then pulls along side me and pushes in on me https://streamable.com/exvcs

keep at them. I kept calling for 6 months for my first one. I eventually saw a conviction. frustrating, but if they are that dangerous to report they need to be dealt with.

As for those atrocious airport hopper ones, maybe give the operator a call if the Gardaí have no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Its a year since the airport hopper incident so likely a waste of time doing anything now, on a positive note I got a call today but the guard wasn't able to download the footage from anywhere I uploaded it so I'll have to drop it to the station. She did seem quite interested so hopefully will follow it through to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,541 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I look forward to hearing all the reasons why the cyclist was wrong to nearly get taken out by the driver cutting into the bike lane with no indication to get past the vehicle turning right ahead. The cyclist gave an audible scream at the time, so I think she got a fair old shock.

https://streamable.com/trm2vi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I look forward to hearing all the reasons why the cyclist was wrong to nearly get taken out by the driver cutting into the bike lane with no indication to get past the vehicle turning right ahead. The cyclist gave an audible scream at the time, so I think she got a fair old shock.

Had an almost identical incident about 2 months back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't see any reason why people would say the cyclist was in the wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why people would say the cyclist was in the wrong

Same here, motorist was 100% in the wrong as far as I can tell from the video unless I am missing something?!?

• Advertisement

i suspect the 'i look forward to hearing' was a reference to the previous video where a cyclist and a left turning motorist nearly collided, but where in the previous instance there certainly was not consensus that the motorist was to blame.

Advertisement