Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I daren't look at mine sitting in the driveway in case it tries to attack me.

Just don’t cycle out in front of it .
    You should be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

doughef wrote: »
    motorists are dangerous lads
    FTFY

FTFY

Just don’t get in their way and you’ll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

doughef wrote: »
    He should of looked behind him rather than pulling out in front of a car . Cars are dangerous lads

Cars aren't dangerous........it's the people who driving them who are dangerous.

How was it the first motorist gave him plenty of space but the second didn't.

You don't overtake a cyclist overtaking another cyclist.....it's that simple.

All that motorist had to was slow down and wait until it was safe to overtake.

On the second clip....where should the cyclits be......cycling on the yellow line.

Your defense of the motorists is utterly pathetic.

micar wrote: »
    Cars aren't dangerous........it's the people who driving them who are dangerous.

How was it the first motorist gave him plenty of space but the second didn't.

You don't overtake a cyclist overtaking another cyclist.....it's that simple.

All that motorist had to was slow down and wait until it was safe to overtake.

On the second clip....where should the cyclits be......cycling on the yellow line.

Your defense of the motorists is utterly pathetic.

Cyclist shouldn’t have been overtaking when a car was coming behind him.

Cars are dangerous. Motorist was probably in a hurry. Possibly didn’t have time for the silly little cycle man taking over the road- illegally

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod note - doughef, do not post in this thread again. If you've an issue with that, PM me.

Other posters - do not respond further to those posts. The poster cannot reply and we should let this die anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That boils my pi$$ :mad:

Langballs like doughef would probably try to defend that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Stark wrote: »

That is criminal and I would hope indefensible. That lane is the pits in the afternoons/evenings (i.e. when it’s active; its a 16.00-19.00 one), people fly up it. And inevitably get stuck behind parked cars anyway. I go that way in the mornings and the opposite way in the PM. I’ve seen tons of close passes on cyclists and I’m always way out in the lane when I use it at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

New cyclist here. This thread scares the ****e out of me! Still a bit nervous on the road but getting better. I get extremely paranoid when I hear a car behind me just about to speed past me even in a well marked cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

New cyclist here. This thread scares the ****e out of me! Still a bit nervous on the road but getting better. I get extremely paranoid when I hear a car behind me just about to speed past me even in a well marked cycle lane.

Hang on in there. Most drivers are fine. Take your time, hold the lane (don't pedal in at the kerb) and look about you. This thread is a compendium of badness, there's lots of goodness too.

It's safer than you think!

If you based your opinion on cycling safety on just this thread you'd never cycle. It needs to be looked at in the greater context. Most posters are coming to report a bad day on the bike and we don't have those every day thankfully, you remember a bad driver quicker than 100 good ones that never register with you, as it should be :)

What you can do though is learn from some of the posts like the last tweet and the person mentioning taking the lane. Easier for some than others to be assertive on the road but you will learn from experience and grow in confidence.

was just saying this on a different thread in a different forum - the health benefits of cycling are estimated to outweigh the risks by a factor of somewhere between 11 and 70, depending on which report you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,077 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

99% of days are fine or maybe someone will annoy you with their driving but not endanger you

I commute through Limerick city and outside of certain roads during rush hour the streets are quiet and pretty safe and even during rush hour I rarely have problems

Stark wrote: »

Clearly no accident he was trying to run you off into the side road. Glad your ok and did anyone stop to assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

The other way to look at it is that this thread prepares you for some of the rubbish that goes on on the roads, and how you can avoid a lot of it. I read the previous version of this thread daily when I started cycling regularly a few years ago, and I found it very helpful. It’s definitely taught me how to be a safer cyclist, and therefore has let me enjoy my cycling much more.

And (in Dublin anyway) cycle lanes have improved dramatically in the last 6 months. There’s new protected lanes popping up all over the place. They’re not all perfect, but they’re generally a lot better than what’s gone before. There’s a noticeable change in attitude amongst authorities and the media. It’s a good time to be starting out, I think!

Thanks everyone. I am really enjoying it overall. The sense of freedom is great. Probably the best thing to come out of this pandemic for me.

Thanks everyone. I am really enjoying it overall. The sense of freedom is great. Probably the best thing to come out of this pandemic for me.

Just out of interest what kinda cycling you doing. Rural or urban and fitness or commute?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just out of interest what kinda cycling you doing. Rural or urban and fitness or commute?

Fitness really or just cycling just for fun. I cycle around Blanchardstown, Castleknock and Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I've been cycling daily in Dublin for the past 15 years and have only ever had two 'bad' incidents. One was where the passenger in a stopped car opened the door without looking. Thankfully I stayed on my bike (although the bike was almost vertical), but ended up breaking my brakes! The second one was a woman who just walked out onto the road without looking and I absolutely floored her. Even though it was her fault I could feel everyone's eyes piercing through me.

If you take the approach that you're invisible to everyone and behave with that in mind you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fairly classic near left hook today;

https://streamable.com/5k9b2f

I was just lucky that I was far enough forward for him to see me through the window at the last moment, because he certainly wasn't checking his mirror and didn't bother indicating before crossing the cycle lane.

The other cyclist told me that he nearly ran up my arse when I jammed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

I was just lucky that I was far enough forward for him to see me through the window at the last moment, because he certainly wasn't checking his mirror and didn't bother indicating before crossing the cycle lane.

I can never understand why motorists don't think....."where is the cyclist that I pass 18 seconds ago?"

I think some believe they are passing a stationary object that they no longer need to consider

Fitness really or just cycling just for fun. I cycle around Blanchardstown, Castleknock and Phoenix Park.

Don't know much about the first 2 but phoenix park sounds like fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I tend to back off a little or get a head if it looks like I am going to be in a vehicles blind spot (you pretty much were as you hit the junction). You can't trust indicators (or lack of them).
    micar wrote: »
    I can never understand why motorists don't think....."where is the cyclist that I pass 18 seconds ago?"

I think some believe they are passing a stationary object that they no longer need to consider

Some people just arent that observant. Its a skill all road users need to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

kenmm wrote: »
    I tend to back off a little or get a head if it looks like I am going to be in a vehicles blind spot (you pretty much were as you hit the junction). You can't trust indicators (or lack of them).

Absolutely agree on the indicators - I saw this coming and was prepared for him to cut me up, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

Absolutely agree on the indicators - I saw this coming and was prepared for him to cut me up, so it wasn't a huge surprise.

Don't take this the wrong way then - but why be right in the blindspot? And what was the exchange after. The guy made a mistake and immediately apologised. None of this defends sloppy driving of course, but a gesticulation after an incident just reinforces the 'Angry asshole cyclist' stereotype and more likely to lead to a confrontation further down the line..

I say this for the benefit of to the new cyclists here - that this is a classic incident that on first glance may put someone off cycling, but on closer inspection, there was no danger and tbh the risk could be even further reduced by easing off a little - especially in Ranelagh which is a known busy section, with many distractions for drivers and cyclists alike to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Don't take this the wrong way then - but why be right in the blindspot? And what was the exchange after. The guy made a mistake and immediately apologised. None of this defends sloppy driving of course, but a gesticulation after an incident just reinforces the 'Angry asshole cyclist' stereotype and more likely to lead to a confrontation further down the line..

I say this for the benefit of to the new cyclists here - that this is a classic incident that on first glance may put someone off cycling, but on closer inspection, there was no danger and tbh the risk could be even further reduced by easing off a little - especially in Ranelagh which is a known busy section, with many distractions for drivers and cyclists alike to contend with.

I’d thank this post multiple times if I could, it’s bang on the money

but a gesticulation after an incident just reinforces the 'Angry asshole cyclist' stereotype
    it's a gesticulation, you can't tell from the video whether it was angry or not. the first appears to be a 'you what?' gesture and the second is a open handed, palm out gesture which i certainly wouldn't interpret as angry or aggressive, i'd often use it myself as an acknowledgement or an 'ah, it's grand' gesture?

522652.jpg

522653.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

it's a gesticulation, you can't tell from the video whether it was angry or not. the first appears to be a 'you what?' gesture and the second is a open handed, palm out gesture which i certainly wouldn't interpret as angry or aggressive, i'd often use it myself as an acknowledgement or an 'ah, it's grand' gesture?

522652.jpg

522653.jpg

But what is the actual point of putting yourself in that position when you know what’s about to happen? Being safe is a lot more important than proving you’re in the right

• Advertisement

522652.jpg

522653.jpg

I didn't say or interpret it as angry, how could I?

But others might. And it's a stereotype for many people.

Anyway, the main point was, why not pull back a bit / read the road further ahead, especially in small busy streets.

Advertisement