Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Driving without due care and attention, dangerous driving, and these are the basic ones. He attempted to overtake someone and cut across them to turn. The overtaking maneuvre started with 5 seconds to the turn, it was in fact not completed before they started the turn, that is how late the overtake was.

The cyclist did not attempt to overtake on the left, he in fact emergency braked after an illegal maneuvre was performed. The cyclist done nothing illegal and should be applauded for being diligent because if he hadn't it could have been argued he was still in the right as the time to react was so short. The driver on the other hand did break specific laws (not only the FPN ones) specifically S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964, part 1, section 19, subsections 1, 2 and 3.

So apologies, I attempted to use laymans language instead of legal terms but the meaning is the same, and it is legislated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Honestly, why explain.. it's clearly a wind up..

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Went to sign statement and hand over usb with video from an incident in February at local station. Garda tried to view the file, but says the USB needs to be encrypted or they can't watch it on the station PCs.

Has anyone had this issue before? I didn't for the last submission, but the Garda IT procedures may have changed since. Can anyone suggest an alternative for a 500MB file?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you encrypt it then the garda won't be able to view it as they won't have the encryption key! They are fobbing you off.

I've submitted videos via YouTube & Streamable.com (prior to the HSE hack) and also on DVD (I'm too cheap to be buying USB keys). Never been asked about encryption.

You don't need an alternative for the 500Mb file - you need a new garda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Maybe there is an issue with encryption and encoding being confused, and it needed to be encoded in a different way? Maybe there are software limitations regarding what types of videos can be played on their computers? Grasping at straws, but is the only thing that makes sense to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ask the garda what encryption algorithm they want you to use. would just be curious as to what their reaction would be.

Possibly but as @Steoller was only trying to hand over the USB key, I'm assuming that the garda hasn't tried viewing it yet and so I'm inclined to think that the garda simply couldn't be arsed dealing with a poxy cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I wouldn't be surprised if the Garda IT system prevent random USB keys being plugged in and accessed. There are plenty of companies who've been hacked when staff are given or pick up random USB keys and plug them in to see what's on them.

In the two cases where I've given video to the Gardaí, for one I brought the laptop in and had the Garda use his phone to record the video playing on the laptop, and for the other I emailed a 1.5sec clip to the Garda's email (a longer clip was too large). I don't think the rank and file are set up to accept video evidence from the public, it might be different when there's an investigation underway with a dashcam appeal, etc.

I reckon the issue is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Possibly a Garda IT issue. I wouldn't be able to put USBs into my work network either. Ask the Garda what format be would like the files. If he want a USB then their own IT need to resolve the issue. Not you.

I would agree that it is more likely the Garda putting up barriers so that they do not have to deal with the issue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's possible they're only allowed plug in supported USB keys, but that still leaves the question open about how they deal with evidence from an external source, and it's certainly not a foolproof control over plugging a key with a payload on it, into a computer.

There is no doubt that they could look at that USB if they thought it was important enough. I doubt that they go back to the Kinahans asking them to provide their electronic evidence in a more user friendly format after a search warrant. Just a Garda trying to avoid the hassle imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And yet only last night and today they're asking people for dash cam or other recorded footage of an incident in Inchicore. Do you really think that if you try present it they'll reject it due to being on a 3rd party USB?

I know when I handed in footage and made a statement of a dangerous driving against myself I brought in a USB key and the garda copied it onto a laptop, and I'm not alone in that experience. Now maybe some stations have isolated laptops off the network for such things, but certainly sounds like a cop out (excuse the pun).

However, the garda's "excuse" below is the most bullshit one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'd love to see his driving! https://streamable.com/78il06

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ha ha ha not what I was expecting 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its a badly designed stretch for sure, but really poor response from the Garda nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is nonsense, and while I have directly experienced obfuscation and delaying tactics from Gardai before, this honestly sounds like someone who just doesn't understand the tech involved. It is likely that USB sticks that aren't encrypted to a particular standard, probably using a particular piece of software are indeed blocked on most computers. However, the only way for you to get around this is for the Garda to give you a USB stick encrypted to their standard, and for you to load the file onto the USB. There's nothing you can do to encrypt at this end, unless they give you a clear encryption standard to meet.

It is worth querying it for sure. If they persist, ask them to put in writing or on email to you, and to advise you on how you can submit digital evidence that exceeds their modest email limitations. There are loads of tech options for transferring large files, but most of them are probably blocked on the Garda network anyway.

I've probably given more than 50 USBs to Gardai in the past year, with no mention of encryption.

Using the phone to record off a screen results in very poor quality. It is also a nightmare scenario from a GDPR point of view, particularly if that is a personal phone, not an official Garda device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

What a knob!!

Thats the junction onto the N4 after Dodsboro isn’t it?

The driver was still straddling two lanes and hadn't completed the overtake, so they were performing an illegal left turn. Even if they had, overtaking someone (whether a car or a cyclist) to immediately jam on the brakes in front of them is careless driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Fear is real but the truth is cycling is a very safe sport in Ireland. I cycle thousands of Kms a year and very rarely get incidents where I think oh that was close.

Then again I’m in the midlands for the majority and roads are quieter where I cycle but in general I don’t think any motorists are ever out to get me. I also don’t take the piss and I give way when I can,respect on the roads goes both ways imo.

Take your time and follow the road rules, and go a little bit further every time you’re out. You’ll be grand though. Enjoy it first and foremost.

I saw an excellent video on YouTube lately about cycling directed towards relative beginners but can’t for the life of me find it now. It was an older guy out on his bike ride talking about some dos and don’ts .If I find it I’ll post it here for you.

Yes thats the junction I guess he didn't want to loose the speed he'd picked up coming down the hill, certainly not for an over weight commuter!!

I must get myself one of these right of way wands!! https://streamable.com/zd16dk silly move he should have read that and held back not cut up the car. Some ignorant driving by the same bus x2 cuts me up https://streamable.com/27p278 he could see he was heading for a red light but still continued the overtake. Same guy 5 mins later forces a car to slow as he overtakes on a white line https://streamable.com/qy8v7n

Post edited by tnegun on

Re: https://streamable.com/zd16dk totally stupid move, no excuse for it

re: https://streamable.com/qy8v7n thats scary, for you, the car driver and the bus, and for what, a few seconds 🙄

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is that little pace? I'm always pelting it there to make sure I have primary position

If you're referring to the third vid, it's as you travel from Leixlip towards Maynooth. That's the Carton estate wall on the right.

Seth got it, it's Carton on the way into Maynooth. I usually move out at the bends but until he passed it had been quiet before that so hadn't felt the need, in fairness he gave me the room just took it from the car coming in the opposite direction!

• Advertisement

Decent awareness from the Skoda in the first clip. If it was me coming up to that with a stale red and only a few cars I'd have probably have tucked in behind the van on the drivers side or indeed like the OP appears to be going for tucking in behind the Skoda as there looked to be a nice gap there to do so.

Advertisement