Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Yes, top marks to the driver, it's a crap junction for bikes as there is no provision to turn right but that doesn't excuse this cyclist. I'm always cautious of getting to the top here on a red as if there's a queue on the M4 there can be a lot of slip surfers skipping traffic and continuing straight ahead. If I'd been in that cyclist's position as soon as the light changed, that car had not been indicating and I wasn't in his field of view I'd have been on the brakes with my arm out to the right so that the car following knew my intention and I'd have slipped in behind to complete the turn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, i misread the video (wasn't paying attention to be fair); i assumed that was a right turn lane only so thought the driver was at fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would send that to Kavanaghs as an FYI if I was you. I am sure they would like to know how poor some of their drivers are

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

On the USB request from the Garda, unfortuntely it is correct, the Garda machines won't allow a USB key be connected to it unless its got Bit Locker enabled, if you enable Bit Locker on the USB key and password protect it (but that might not be needed), that should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I notified them 20 + years ago about the conduct of their drivers. Consistent close passing, agressieve behavior and general "out of my way" attitude.

Either nothing has been done and the same drivers are doing the same thing, or their recruitment and training of their drivers hasn't improved since then.

• Advertisement

I actually did it before uploading last night, I'll post back their response if any. In fairness I very rarely have issue with the 139 its the Intel shuttles you have to watch out for on this stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

A JJ Kavanagh driver drove his bus at speed through a pedestrian crossing where I was already crossing (with the green man) a few years back.

A Wexford Bus driver tailgated me, flashing his lights, in the port tunnel (apparently my driving at the speed limit was provoking him).

Are private bus companies where the people who fail the Bus Eireann psychological tests go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Report that to Intel themselves. They will definitely follow up. It was listed earlier in this thread. Susan something is the person to report to. Other posters could give better information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Piss poor awareness demonstrated by both Skoda driver and cyclist (not the cam one!) In the first clip..

Edit: on second watch, not much more the Skoda could have done except maybe missing a left hand check before moving off. But caught it soon enough.

Bus driver shouldn't be on the road. Hope that went to the bus company at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If anyone has the Intel contact email that would be great, I've been wanting to send an email about the wannabe boy racers speeding out of the new multistorey and ignoring the yield at the exit. I got brake tested by someone for beeping at them when I had to jam the brakes. There's an unusual amount of young lads thinking they're cool in their modified shitbox diesels working there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Black Audi A3s with tinted windows and German-style reg plates, by any chance?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That bus has nothing to do with Intel. It is a public service between Naas & Blanchardstown.

PM with email address sent. I've had her respond efficiently to an incident involving a driver of one of the red busses

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

I thought the Skoda driver reacted well, in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

The red buses are hired by intel to shuttle builders from the building site to satellite car parks as there is not enough car parking on the site. Can you PM me the email too. I work for intel and can't find the proper contact 😂.

I recently started commuting again by bike from terenure to leixlip and I have no issues at all on the route apart from when I'm close to the job. 17k of bliss followed by 2km off d**kheads.

I got an email back from JJ to say they would be speaking with the driver involved and that they were currently under going a training program for drivers and the videos would be passed to that office. Hopefully the use them to show it from a cyclists perspective! I had asked that they give the driver the benefit of the doubt but that they make him aware of his poor driving in this circumstance and the dangers it posed to me and other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just on the N4 one, think you're being a little unfair to the cyclist, lights just changed at the worst time. If they'd stayed red i imagine you'd have joined him at the top of the line? Skoda driver should have been aware of the cyclist approaching and known they were turning right (as they all would) but were happy enough to wait once they saw them, instead of leaning on the horn

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

I agree, the Skoda driver did absolutely nothing wrong imo.

Bad form from the cyclist.

Maybe I'm just used to the junction but his awareness was awful, the car wasn't indicating and the light was red for a long time as we approached and it went green before he reached the car yet he still proceeded with attempting to get in front and only put his hand out after the car started to move off. The driver then saw him and stopped to allow him to cross in front out of a combination of surprise and courtesy is my guess. Yes, I try to get to the front here but I'm very cautious about it as so many cars go straight on and if traffic is heavy you get cars trying to cut in and out of that queue all the way to the lights so the only "safe" space is at the top in front of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭standardg60

He was passing the back of the car when the lights changed as far as i can see.

Anyway it's a dreadful junction for cyclists, and definitely one of those that calls for the right turn arrow to go green a few seconds before the straight on one

It was effectively a right hook, as opposed to the classic driver doing the left hook with a late indicator on the cyclist.

My favoured position is get to the front and to the extreme right when turning right but that wasn't the time to go for it.

• Advertisement

Anyway it's a dreadful junction for cyclists, and definitely one of those that calls for the right turn arrow to go green a few seconds before the straight on one

Not sure if there would be much benefit to that though. It just needs some cyclists to approach it with a bit more cop on in terms of whether cars might be turning or not. Part of what makes it more hazardous when trying to get in front is that frequently drivers stop well past the white line.

The left exit off the roundabout 100m to the right of that clip is another place cyclists need to be watching in all directions. Drivers will often try to overtake on the roundabout which results in them close passing the cyclist on the exit. I deliberately make it obvious to them not to do this by taking the lane and following a wide line into and off the roundabout.

This is when it goes green. Not defending the cyclist or attacking the driver, but I think the two second delay before the driver started to move off led the cyclist to assume the driver was turning right / perhaps letting the cyclist go past him rather than pinching him against the island?

Either way, I wouldn't have done what the cyclist did but drivers can respond very strangely when they notice a bicycle and don't know how to respond re: right of way. I always stop and wave them on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Yep I agree, hence the edit.

Only slight marks lost for not checking to the left before moving off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i watched that video again and i think i realise why i assumed it was right turn only from that lane - on the light in front of the cyclist, only the right turn arrow goes green (you can see on the pole on the right hand side of the road, both arrows go green) - he may not have seen that and since he only saw a right arrow go green, only right turning traffic could move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How would that protect the Garda IT? It just prevents access to the USB key without the password, not any kind of protection from nasties being on the USB key, or them infecting the Garda machines.

yep, it's mainly tokenistic, but would eliminate a little bit of noise from random insertion of 'uncontrolled' keys. sucks if you're a mac user, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Yes correct, it is as you mentioned if someone takes documents from an offical machine for which ever reason and they lose it, it has some protection. I'm just the messager here, if the user the Garda said it to enables Bitlocker on the USB stick and hands it back in again there should be no problem. Your right also about infections.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only thing I can see making people provide USB keys with Bitlocker enabled would do, is prevent people from bothering to submit footage as they can't be doing with figuring out what on earth it is or how to go about doing it.

Just means that only people with IT skills are able to submit footage, anyone else is excluded from access to the services of the Garda in that respect.

it is a difficult one though; without an online portal, how do you safely enable people to submit evidence without opening up your systems to compromise?

• Advertisement

I suspect that they want the videos submitted on paper!

Advertisement