Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vesta Living - Clongriffin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Fompi

Yes. I chose a south-west orientation on purpose because I wanted light and warmth from the sun. I'm not disappointed :D we're literally ROASTING even with the blinds down. Thankfully it's never really warm.in this country.
    I dont know if the apartments facing north are as warm? Anyone on the north side here?

Just noticed this morning that my heating recovery unit is making weird noises, like a hungry belly noise :D Is that what you were talking about?

I just found the manual: https://www.bpcventilation.com/media/download_documents/bpc_xpelair_natural_air_180v_installer_manual_bpc_2017.pdf

Turns out the "hungry belly noise" is related to a "B" showing on the display, which seems to stand for "Bypass". Not sure what it is yet. I find it quite difficult to figure out how everything works...

Mr.S wrote: »
    We leave ours on Speed 1 and it just has a low humming noise inside the hot press - I've found putting it on Speed 2 / 3 during and after a shower cools down / de steams the bathrooms significantly quicker. There's an automatic mode but not sure if the apartments have the proper humid sensors for that. Turning off the unit completely will stop fresh air being circulated from the ceiling vents. I can see the point about them being a bit loud in each room (even on speed 1) - but I only notice it when I actively listen for it ;)

Ours goes into "B" mode at random times for a while every couple of days - like you, not sure what it actually does - it makes a small wirrrling / clicking sound when it's in that mode but it doesn't last for long and it doesn't seem to be on timer, it's totally random.

On a slightly related question - what are people's average daily charge for electricity? Ours is around the €2-3 mark with daily use of the dishwasher, hot water heated overnight (I have no idea if there is a night meter on prepay?), short cycle washing machine every couple of days, TV on (most of the day with lockdown :eek:) etc, so approx about €100 a month, not the cheapest considering we don't use the storage heaters.

I don't use the heaters either and I'm more around €4/day. Dishwasher and washing machine every day (but not the dryer). I agree it's not cheap at all considering we're not using the heaters. We're 3 adults.
    Which cycle are you using on the washing machine? The 1 hour one?

Usually just the quick wash and dry setting unless it’s heavier clothes. For the dishwasher we just use the quick 30min setting.

4€ a day seems a lot, but 3 adults with presumably a lot of devices and hot water makes sense!

yeah but what is your quick wash? :D I see a 1 hour one and a 20 min one; but not a "quick"?
    For the dishwasher I also use the 30 min one!

And yup, lots of devices, TV on most of the day because husband is off work, and daughter and I are using our laptops all day to work.
    I thought it would be a lot cheaper but I guess we could be a bit more careful

The 60m one! But with the AutoAdjust feature it's usually shorter as it adjusts all cycles based on weight.

Ok thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eagle.eye

Hi neighbors!

I was re-reading the lease again last night and I noticed there was something I wanted to ask you. Section F.ii of Special Letting Provisions says

'The Tenant hereby covenants with the Landlord not to affix, erect or hang any pictures, posters, wall-hangings, mirrors or like objects to or on the walls of the Dwelling in such a manner as would damage, deface or destroy the decoration of the Dwelling by their affixion, erection or hanging or by their removal. ...'

Does it mean we can't hang our family photos on the walls or secure bookshelves to the wall so they don't fall when kids climb them? That sounds like nonsense.

Say we did hang our photos and used wall plugs here and there to secure things in place properly, would it be common that when tenants leave an apartment they remove all picture hangers/wall plugs and fill the holes with plaster and paint the walls? I'm asking because our experience from another country is that we would have to do all that, but the lease with Vesta doesn't specify that we'd have to paint the apartment before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Surely you can use Command strips to hang pictures and mirrors? https://www.lenehans.ie/hardware-diy/fixings/command-hooks-strips.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dedgunns

Caranica wrote: »
    Surely you can use Command strips to hang pictures and mirrors?

Aren’t they notoriously rubbish though? I haven’t moved in yet, but reading that clause in the contract was a bit disappointing too. Being unable to hang your own pictures kinda takes away from making it homey...

If you read the house rules here: https://support.vestaliving.ie/hc/en-ie/articles/360005850318-What-are-the-house-rules- (No alterations shall be carried out in any part of the building by residents. This includes hanging of pictures. All walls within the building are fire rated and any drilling or hammering into any of the walls creates a fire safety risk and is therefore strictly prohibited. Any resident found to have broken this rule will be required to pay for the remediation cost of the wall and they may be subject to termination of their tenancy.)
    So it goes beyond esthetic for after we leave (I also come from a country where we fill in the holes and paint when we leave). I personally didnt want to take any risk but I am also an art collector so... Command strips it was! And they work perfectly, as you can see on the picture, even with a really big frame :) They're not cheap but no casualties so far. (Dunnes in Donaghmede have some)
    https://imgur.com/a/S70Nve1.jpg

As for furniture that needs to be secured to the wall, I have to say it's a bit annoying if you have kids :(
    Just as I'm annoyed I can't use the space above the sink to put wall shelves for spices etc... (when you think about it, they attached the kitchen furniture to the wall, as well as the light switches etc... but what can we say?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eagle.eye

Oh great I had no idea something like Command strips existed! Thanks for the tip! :)

Yeah we're also annoyed by the unusable space above sink and also above the other kitchen counter (we have U-shaped kitchen)... looks like it's going to be pictures instead of spices that will hang there.

Thank you for the responses, seems like no bookshelves or any furniture that needs to be secured to the wall for us :( shame!

• Advertisement

eagle.eye wrote: »
    Oh great I had no idea something like Command strips existed! Thanks for the tip! :)

Yeah we're also annoyed by the unusable space above sink and also above the other kitchen counter (we have U-shaped kitchen)... looks like it's going to be pictures instead of spices that will hang there.

Thank you for the responses, seems like no bookshelves or any furniture that needs to be secured to the wall for us :( shame!

I wonder why they didnt put furniture above the sink actually, such a waste of space. I think I'm going to try to put a spice rack with the Command strips... Surely if my big frame is still on the wall, they can hold a spice rack!?

And for the rest of the furniture, I just got low ones. A shame in the bathroom, as again, it really lacks storage
    And dont you find the tower dryer is super tiny? :o

Fompi wrote: »
    If you read the house rules here: (No alterations shall be carried out in any part of the building by residents. This includes hanging of pictures. All walls within the building are fire rated and any drilling or hammering into any of the walls creates a fire safety risk and is therefore strictly prohibited. Any resident found to have broken this rule will be required to pay for the remediation cost of the wall and they may be subject to termination of their tenancy.)
    So it goes beyond esthetic for after we leave (I also come from a country where we fill in the holes and paint when we leave). I personally didnt want to take any risk but I am also an art collector so... Command strips it was! And they work perfectly, as you can see on the picture, even with a really big frame :) They're not cheap but no casualties so far. (Dunnes in Donaghmede have some)

As for furniture that needs to be secured to the wall, I have to say it's a bit annoying if you have kids :(
    Just as I'm annoyed I can't use the space above the sink to put wall shelves for spices etc... (when you think about it, they attached the kitchen furniture to the wall, as well as the light switches etc... but what can we say?)

I see they do not allow drying of clothes on the balconies. How are you finding getting your clothes dry? From the open day I see they have washer/dryer combos which I have used before and never seem to get the clothes dry....

Dedgunns wrote: »
    I see they do not allow drying of clothes on the balconies. How are you finding getting your clothes dry? From the open day I see they have washer/dryer combos which I have used before and never seem to get the clothes dry....

Oh yes that's something I wanted to ask you guys! They specify "no items on the balconies" but what is an "item"? :D And I see everyone put stuff on their balconies anyway... I was planning to get plants, chairs etc before everything was closed
    As for the laundry, I wouldnt put it on my balcony anyway as it's way too windy (not sure if it's because I'm in the corner or are all the balconies really windy? On the south side)
    Sometimes I use the dryer but it's really expensive so I just put it on a rack and it's generally dry by the end of the day as my apartment is really warm.

Balcony furniture / plants is fine, what they mean is they don’t want people putting clothes and bins and using the balcony as a storage area.

Ah yes, that's what I though too because it makes sense. But I see some bins on the balconies just under mine (why??? so weird)

Can't wait to get plants and chairs (again, if it's not too windy...)

Thanks for the info guys! Can’t wait to move in! Was meant to be today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just to jump in and say I’ve had pictures on the walls and coat hooks hung with command strips that are over two years and counting in my own house now. The only thing that ever fell was one of the garden ones and if I’m honest I didn’t prep the area properly

Thanks for the info guys! Can’t wait to move in! Was meant to be today :(

oh :( Hopefully you won't have to wait for too long...

oh :( Hopefully you won't have to wait for too long...

They were 2 weeks from completing my apartment when the restrictions kicked in, so it’s a 2 week delay on top of every week of restriction.....

They were 2 weeks from completing my apartment when the restrictions kicked in, so it’s a 2 week delay on top of every week of restriction.....

So close to being finished... How do you do in the meantime?

So close to being finished... How do you do in the meantime?

I moved out of my last place at the end of January. Living with a friend at the moment. So we at least have a roof over our heads...

• Advertisement

I moved out of my last place at the end of January. Living with a friend at the moment. So we at least have a roof over our heads...

Ok good. I was wondering if some people would have to go to an airbnb or something.

Ok good. I was wondering if some people would have to go to an airbnb or something.

Are you enjoying living at the Vesta apartments overall?

Are you enjoying living at the Vesta apartments overall?

Oh yes absolutely! It's just being nit-picky saying the balcony is windy or the towel dryer is too small (a bit like saying a beach is too sandy :D )
    The apartments are lovely, I've never lived in such a nice place in this country before. 100% recommended.

Oh yes absolutely! It's just being nit-picky saying the balcony is windy or the towel dryer is too small (a bit like saying a beach is too sandy :D )
    The apartments are lovely, I've never lived in such a nice place in this country before. 100% recommended.

Can’t wait!

Are we not going to mention the doors ;)?

That’s my only gripe!!

You talking about the fact they close automatically with some force? Unfortunately that’s a fire safety regulation requirement in apartment blocks...

Are we not going to mention the doors ;)?

That’s my only gripe!!

No, don't even mention it. There is not a single day where I don't curse because of the doors, they are now called "Putain de porte" :D . I just used my Roomba, poor thing, he (yes, he's a he, I've decided) keeps moving the wedges and finds himself locked in rooms. I can't even imagine how it is when you have young kids... The little fingers :(

Yeah! It seems a little excessive they close with a lot of force, even with fire regs in mind.

I’d imagine most people will use door wedges anyway, sort of defying the point?

Yes, I dont think the wedges will magically disappear if there is a fire...

Also why put this system on ALL the doors including the small storage room I have in the kitchen? I can't even go in there, I only use it to take things
    But the bathroom door in the master bedroom doesnt have one (thank god). So weird.

Yeah, I lived in a apartment before with these type of doors. Caught my finger or toe on them a few times! Total pain. You definitely need door stoppers...but as you said, totally defeats the purpose...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KP247

Trust me, I work with fire consultants frequently...I've heard the horror stories. If there's ever a fire in those blocks, these doors will save lives.

• Advertisement

KP247 wrote: »
    Trust me, I work with fire consultants frequently...I've heard the horror stories. If there's ever a fire in those blocks, these doors will save lives.

But not if we all.put door wedges

Advertisement