Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Inviere wrote: »
    Ronnie has been insufferable for about a year now. Arguably the GOAT, but an absolute knob a lot of the time.

My favourite player of all time but over the last few years i've lost a bit of respect and love for him with his contrary and petty carry on. I'm sick of his bad mood and bad manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ronnie has been insufferable for about a year now. Arguably the GOAT, but an absolute knob a lot of the time.

Yeah, he's hard to work out. I dont even try. I've heard stories that he's gone out of his way to help some of the young foreign players when they're trying to settle down here - hossein vafaei would be one example. But i think he'd rather people didnt know about it, kind of in a roy keane way to mention him again. But that doesnt justify the boorish behaviour he's capable of, no real need for it half the time.

I'd like one of the referee's that he dislikes and bullies on the table to give him a warning and stand up for themselves. I hate bullies. Also for some of the lower ranked players who he constantly calls 'numpties' to say he' a privileged arsehole.

I'd like one of the referee's that he dislikes and bullies on the table to give him a warning and stand up for themselves. I hate bullies. Also for some of the lower ranked players who he constantly calls 'numpties' to say he' a privileged arsehole.

Dont like the way he refers to our greatest player as ken dockerty, a guy he's known for over 30 years, i cant help thinking he does it on purpose. No idea whether there's an issue between them, not that i know of anyway, but that does bug me a little.

Dont like the way he refers to our greatest player as ken dockerty, a guy he's known for over 30 years, i cant help thinking he does it on purpose. No idea whether there's an issue between them, not that i know of anyway, but that does bug me a little.

The only few who ever stand up to Ronnies vindictiveness are Selby, Carter and Trump. They have given it back to him. The opposite is Murphy who Ronnie constantly takes the piss out of and Murphy licks his arse like no other.

• Advertisement

I remember the Nugget said some of the players were actually laughing at Ronnie ****e talking about a breakaway tour. I thought to myself watching it that Ronnie would not be happy with that. Thereafter Ronnie hardly looked at him in a BBC interview for months and Ronnie's aul man ripped Davis apart on twitter. Nasty stuff by a bit of a bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Ronnie has pulled out of the Masters for personal reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Ronnie's personality is very much influenced by his social background. Remember his farther went to prison for a one punch attack. Those kinds of people. Geezers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

Dante7 wrote: »

Can't say I'll miss him given his current mood. I've a feeling he's struggling with something, he strikes me as quite bipolar. It was the Masters final of 2019 where Trump properly pummeled him too, so if he's not on form, it's prob best he sits out and looks after himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Very strange, wont be the same tournament without him

• Advertisement

Can't say I'll miss him given his current mood. I've a feeling he's struggling with something, he strikes me as quite bipolar. It was the Masters final of 2019 where Trump properly pummeled him too, so if he's not on form, it's prob best he sits out and looks after himself.

He's struggling with basic manners all his career and that costs nothing.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think Ronnie's personality is very much influenced by his social background. Remember his farther went to prison for a one punch attack. Those kinds of people. Geezers.

It wasn't a one punch attack. He stabbed the Kray twins old driver in a pub row. No excuses thats either in a person or its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

He's struggling with basic manners all his career and that costs nothing.

I agree, see my post above, that chap is a knob so much of the time. I'd still prefer to see him sort that out though, sort himself out, and get back playing Snooker (leaving all his bs behind). One can only hope though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Been written off before, but is he on the slippery slope now? Out of the UK early. Won't bother with the masters, some say he can't hack the marathon of the mind that is the Crucible anymore. All these excuses about playing numpties and the poor facilities at Crawley are just leading up to him calling it a day.

Still the greatest player I've ever seen. Ahead of Hendry at his best, but flaws come with the genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Been written off before, but is he on the slippery slope now? Out of the UK early. Won't bother with the masters, some say he can't hack the marathon of the mind that is the Crucible anymore. All these excuses about playing numpties and the poor facilities at Crawley are just leading up to him calling it a day.

Still the greatest player I've ever seen. Ahead of Hendry at his best, but flaws come with the genius.

He seemed to develop this recent mantra repeated all the time.

'snooker is just a hobby really am not boverred really, you know there are more important things in life'
    etc etc
    It always seemed to me to be a defence mechanism to try and take the pressure off himself.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Also heard him talk on occasions about playing into his 50s. Impossible to tell, it'll come when it comes.

He seemed to develop this recent mantra repeated all the time.

'snooker is just a hobby really am not boverred really, you know there are more important things in life'
    etc etc
    It always seemed to me to be a defence mechanism to try and take the pressure off himself.

Of course it was. Steve Peters doesn't come cheap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Ronnie withdrawing from the Masters has the ironic side-effect of gifting a place to none other than Ali Carter.

Maguire looking good so far — wins the first frame with a 95 break, and then a fantastic long red at the beginning of the second.

Utterly brilliant from Maguire — clears the table to steal the frame from 0-67 behind, and he now leads 3-0. Fabulous snooker this evening.

Quality so far. Always known maguire is capable of this but can he sustain it?

• Advertisement

I had kind of forgotten how good Maguire could be. The fella is flying hitting the ball crisp. Allen could be in bed early at this rate.

Stunning stuff from Maguire. His pot success rate is essentially 100% and he leads 4-0 at the interval.

I could never warm to Maguire. Serious temper issues on the beize. Never wearing a tie like every other player is a joke. A medical condition? Yea sure. I love snooker but just dont find anything about Maguire appealing so quite happy to work tonight.

Maguire seems to have gone off the boil a bit after the interval. Be interesting to see where things go from here.

Ronnie says there are no personal reasons for him not entering the Masters, he just didn't fancy it.

http://www.livesnooker.com/category/invitational-events/osullivan-explains-his-decision-to-opt-out-of-2020-masters-20191207/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

He's looking a bit fitter imo, I'd say he lost bit of weight, always looked like he was in the horrors and sweating, Maguire I mean

Should be point of no return for allen. I like mags personally, seems like a good bloke. Just never had temperament to match his talent. Ronnie once tipping him to be a future world champion didnt seem to help!

Ronnie says there are no personal reasons for him not entering the Masters, he just didn't fancy it.

http://www.livesnooker.com/category/invitational-events/osullivan-explains-his-decision-to-opt-out-of-2020-masters-20191207/

Complains endlessly about having to play flat 128 draws and having to travel to tournaments abroad ... and then "doesn't fancy" entering a tournament a short drive from his house with just the top 16 players? :confused:

Complains endlessly about having to play flat 128 draws and having to travel to tournaments abroad ... and then "doesn't fancy" entering a tournament a short drive from his house with just the top 16 players? :confused:

It always has to be about him. Semi-finals day of the UK and he makes it about him. He really has become an insufferable arsehole.

• Advertisement

I thought his logic of the breakway tour was so he did not have to play the lesser players?
    It annoys me that he never pulled up on his guff. They always go softly on him 'how are you feeling Ronnie?' etc. I think the current climate where mental health is shoehorned into everything, it enables Ronnie to do what he likes just because...

Personally I think he has devalued the tournament just because he 'does not feel like it'.

Advertisement