Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship 2019 26/11 - 8/12 BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

The end is nigh for Nigel. The Belfast Bruiser rolls on. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

bond is a good pro, he will build on that i think, he knows he can still compete with the best. i enjoyed that match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Tomorrow's semifinals...

1 pm

Ding Junhui vs Yan Bingtao

7 pm

Stephen Maguire vs Mark Allen

bond is a good pro, he will build on that i think, he knows he can still compete with the best. i enjoyed that match

Good pro, but i feel it's the last sting of a dying wasp. I'd be surprised if he reaches a ranking quarter final ever again. Very surprised.

Tomorrow's semifinals...

1 pm

7 pm

The Chinese derby should be good. The Battle of the Bulge i'll pass on. Just cant watch Maguire play. Hate his style.

Not a great UK for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Tomorrow's semifinals...

1 pm

7 pm

Thought I was watching it live on BBC! Must put on a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

As said earlier up the thread, been a pro for 35 years and has never been once off the tour which is a fine achievement at the age of 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

When Nigel Bond appeared furst he used to wear a white glove on his bridge hand up to the mid 90s anyway. He packed in that wheez eventually.

When Nigel Bond appeared furst he used to wear a white glove on his bridge hand up to the mid 90s anyway. He packed in that wheez eventually.

I dont ever remember him wearing a glove.

I dont recall that either but then that could be just my 1990s for you.

• Advertisement

I dont recall that either but then that could be just my 1990s for you.

The only person wearing a glove in the 90s was OJ Simpson.

The only person wearing a glove in the 90s was OJ Simpson.

It didnt fit!

It didnt fit!

Should have got Frank Dreben to prove otherwise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Very little about it online but he definetly wore a glove when he emerged as a pro in 89/90. By 95 and his world final against Hendry he'd packed it in. Think there might have been another player who tried it out as well. (Presumably not the same glove....Lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Very little about it online but he definetly wore a glove when he emerged as a pro in 89/90. By 95 and his world final against Hendry he'd packed it in. Think there might have been another player who tried it out as well. (Presumably not the same glove....Lol)

Only other high profile I remember back then was Earl Strickland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Just home from an Xmas party
    Christ Higgins out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Only other high profile I remember back then was Earl Strickland.

Quite a few American pool players wear gloves, but it's very rare to see a snooker player doing so. Even when O'Sullivan, Davis, Allison Fisher, etc., played 9-ball, I don't recall them wearing gloves.

Was a guy wearing a glove last season, forgetting his name right now, was scottish anyway but name wont come to me. Selby sometimes used one when playing in far east, down to heat and humidity which might increase friction and stickiness. A former pool champion so guess he would be more open to it than most.

Hope Yan wins from here on in but i feel Ding will beat him and beat Allen in the final. Ding's apparent lack of interest for quite some time now has turned me off him a little, usually sitting slumped in his seat and offering little resistance when departing tournament after tournament. Great player when tuned in, though.

There was a player wearing some sort of glove last year but cannot remember who. A Chinese player i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Was a guy wearing a glove last season, forgetting his name right now, was scottish anyway but name wont come to me. Selby sometimes used one when playing in far east, down to heat and humidity which might increase friction and stickiness. A former pool champion so guess he would be more open to it than most.
    There was a player wearing some sort of glove last year but cannot remember who. A Chinese player i believe.

This fella (recently retired) Ross Muir regularly wore a glove.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Muir

Muir250.jpg

I found forums where they discussed why pool players use them more than snooker.

https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/board/forum/snooker-forums/coaching-questions/40552-gloves

https://www.reddit.com/r/snooker/comments/90qc30/why_do_pool_players_wear_a_glove_but_snooker/

Humidity, pool cue made of maple sticks more etc.

This fella discusses why most snooker players do not wear a glove but pool players do. He says it is because of the different bridge. He did a few tests on it found it helped him, Awkward holding chalk though, and gathering the balls out of the pocket annoying.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I dont ever remember him wearing a glove.

One forum mentioned two nigel's who used to wear a glove when playing snooker at some stage.

https://community.betfair.com/snooker/go/thread/view/94174/25893701/Has_any_pro_snooker_player_ever_wore_a_glove_whilst_playing_during_a_match#flvWelcomeHeader

Nigel Bond and Nigel Gilbert.

Also 'James stills wore a glove in 1983 mercantile credit match against tony knowles knowles won 5-1'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Ross Muir

Yan looks nervy. I always feel the Chinese players look up to Ding and are in awe to some extent. I think Ding has a psychological advantage against his compatriots.

Stroll in the park for Ding.

Yan looks nervy. I always feel the Chinese players look up to Ding and are in awe to some extent. I think Ding has a psychological advantage against his compatriots.

Yeah Yan is playing shots with safety in mind as if he was going to miss them rather than going for them. Plus he seemed to lose his head a bit when he went to free that red off the rail in the second frame when there was no need.
    He seems a bit rattled alright.

Ronnie was very dismissive of Yan on Eurosport. Saying Yan has played the same way since he was 14, does not excite him and he is a very limited player.

Ronnie was very dismissive of Yan on Eurosport. Saying Yan has played the same way since he was 14, does not excite him and he is a very limited player.

Ronnie following the roy keane school of punditry. I think he could be right but not sure you need to be so trenchant about it, he's only 19 so can still adapt and learn.

Pretty cutting. Ronnie can be pretty nasty at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ronnie following the roy keane school of punditry. I think he could be right but not sure you need to be so trenchant about it, he's only 19 so can still adapt and learn.

Ronnie has been insufferable for about a year now. Arguably the GOAT, but an absolute knob a lot of the time.

Advertisement