Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

august2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    One tip if buying a microwave steriliser make sure the microwave is high enough ! We bought a steriliser for our grandchildren and ended up having to buy a new microwave .The inside of the micro was not high enough

That's exactly what happened to me!! MAM bottles are great and you can sterilise them individually as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

Millem wrote: »
    Plasticheart my baby is moves a lot too.
    Girls has anyone ordered bottles? I am thinking of trying those nuk latex ones?
    I am determined for this baby to take a bottle a day!!!

Are they the glass bottled ones millem? I just looked them up now and the teat looked pretty good regarding flow of milk rate and comparable to breast feeding. When I started out my fertility treatment years ago my first consultant (head of Irish fertility board at the time) said it is the only thing he insisted upon with his own child was using glass bottles to feed baby. Can I ask do you plan on pumping for the once a day feed or using formula? I’m having nightmares about breastfeeding-I want to do it so badly but dreading the sleepless nights and the pain.... so plan on having a stash of formula and a small few bottles just in case.... also getting a huge amount of pressure from a few in laws regarding breast feeding so I don’t think it’s helping my frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ahaaha wrote: »
    Are they the glass bottled ones millem? I just looked them up now and the teat looked pretty good regarding flow of milk rate and comparable to breast feeding. When I started out my fertility treatment years ago my first consultant (head of Irish fertility board at the time) said it is the only thing he insisted upon with his own child was using glass bottles to feed baby. Can I ask do you plan on pumping for the once a day feed or using formula? I’m having nightmares about breastfeeding-I want to do it so badly but dreading the sleepless nights and the pain.... so plan on having a stash of formula and a small few bottles just in case.... also getting a huge amount of pressure from a few in laws regarding breast feeding so I don’t think it’s helping my frame of mind.

You can get them in glass but I think I will get the plastic ones? My other two kids are a bit wild tbh and would be afraid if they threw them and they smashed!! I know they are safety glass but they can still smash!!

I will NOT be pumping! I hate pumping and it really messes with my supply and causes me to have clogged ducts.
    I really would like this baby to have 1 bottle of formula at say 10 or 11pm. So I can sleep until next bf feed. My youngest was an absolute disaster and was constantly on me non stop. I can’t do that again....with two other kids at home! Eldest will be starting senior infants and younger one in Montesorri.

I am not bothering buying in the formula or anything as I don’t think I will introduce the bottle till around 4 weeks. Will see how it goes.

Don’t worry about breastfeeding at all. It might be so easy for you. I am buying nipple shields and nipple cream to have. I only every used shields after those crazy intense 12 hour non stop feeds where I found my nipple a hurt a bit after. So not because of flat nipples or latching difficulties. I still have the original purple tube of nipple cream from my youngest! It is so good well worth the cost :) Again just used it after those crazy feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I used a formula bottle for mine so my husband could do one feed a day on last baby. Had planned on pumping for that bottle this time but after reading your post maybe I'll stick to formula. Couldn't get the hang of pumping last time but only had a manual pump, thought if I invested in an electric one this time I might have more success.

I never even thought of dropping the glass bottles!! Which knowing me will defo happen :)

• Advertisement

I never even thought of dropping the glass bottles!! Which knowing me will defo happen :)

I found you get pressure either way with breastfeeding....my side of the family were disgusted I breastfed for so long! They would constant tell me to stop as would much husband!!
    My MIL is very pro breastfeeding and thought it was so great! You just can’t win.

Some people think they can say anything to you! Don’t mind them suit yourself. I found my le leche group very supportive. I used to go in the evenings by myself when my son was over 1 year.

I think the glass bottles look great but are too dangerous to have here!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You can get them in glass but I think I will get the plastic ones? My other two kids are a bit wild tbh and would be afraid if they threw them and they smashed!! I know they are safety glass but they can still smash!!

I will NOT be pumping! I hate pumping and it really messes with my supply and causes me to have clogged ducts.
    I really would like this baby to have 1 bottle of formula at say 10 or 11pm. So I can sleep until next bf feed. My youngest was an absolute disaster and was constantly on me non stop. I can’t do that again....with two other kids at home! Eldest will be starting senior infants and younger one in Montesorri.

I am not bothering buying in the formula or anything as I don’t think I will introduce the bottle till around 4 weeks. Will see how it goes.

Don’t worry about breastfeeding at all. It might be so easy for you. I am buying nipple shields and nipple cream to have. I only every used shields after those crazy intense 12 hour non stop feeds where I found my nipple a hurt a bit after. So not because of flat nipples or latching difficulties. I still have the original purple tube of nipple cream from my youngest! It is so good well worth the cost :) Again just used it after those crazy feeds.

I managed that with my third Millem, bottle round 7/8pm every day.I couldn't deal with cluster feeding and bedtime for the other two. Works very well.Self preservation needed when you are outnumbered!

Wouldn't touch glass bottles here either!!!With all due respect to that (male) consultant, I seriously doubt he was the one lugging the bottles round in changing bags, rescuing them from under beds and cots in the dark, trying to juggle a squirmy baby and a glass bottle so you can sit down to feed, or cleaning up the mess after the baby decides to test gravity and chucks the bottle from the changing table onto the floor!!!If I had a euro for every bottle that slipped out of my hand in an exhausted state and sprayed milk everywhere....!!I used to heat bottles too, or pour in freshly boiled water, to carry the bottle in a bag when going out so that by the time the baby needed the feed when we are out, the bottle was at an acceptable temperature and I could just add the powder....I would worry the glass wouldn't stand up to that heating and cooling over a long period.

Do what suits you.It is easy to say, and it's hard as a first time mum, but you do learn to stand your ground and ignore other opinions.You would be surprised.

Girls I presume the hospital hospital restrictions will be lifted now on the 29th June! Hopefully all will go well and we will all be allowed to have someone with us for our entire labour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Girls I presume the hospital hospital restrictions will be lifted now on the 29th June! Hopefully all will go well and we will all be allowed to have someone with us for our entire labour :)

I really hope so! My husband hasn't 'seen' our baby since the 12 week scan! Really hope we can have someone with us for labour, it's one thing I'm dreading.

I really hope so! My husband hasn't 'seen' our baby since the 12 week scan! Really hope we can have someone with us for labour, it's one thing I'm dreading.

Oh it would be brilliant wouldn’t it?! And then pray baby won’t be early and come before that!

Also cheers for the heads up on the glass bottles! Practicality wins for me!!

• Advertisement

Oh it would be brilliant wouldn’t it?! And then pray baby won’t be early and come before that

I am the same. I have to go in straight away because my babies come very quick. Knowing my husband he would go off somewhere because he would think it’s grand and then not make it back in time!!!! On my last baby he insisted on stopping off at the garage to buy a coffee
    while we were on route to the hospital!!

I don’t mind less visitors afterwards but would like him to be able to visit!

Oh girls is anyone having an elective section? If so I heard from another Rotunda mum to be they get you to come in a day or two beforehand and test you for covid.
    There was a mum there last week had no symptoms at all but test came back positive!! Apparently they hadn’t used their “covid ward” in 2 weeks prior to this.

Oh girls is anyone having an elective section? If so I heard from another Rotunda mum to be they get you to come in a day or two beforehand and test you for covid.
    There was a mum there last week had no symptoms at all but test came back positive!! Apparently they hadn’t used their “covid ward” in 2 weeks prior to this.

Did she have to stay in for the test or just come in beforehand for the duration of the test? I wouldn't like to be in the hospital any longer than necessary. I might be having a section, my placenta is low but consultant is taking a wait and see approach for now. I'd rather know what's happening so I can plan my maternity leave.

Did she have to stay in for the test or just come in beforehand for the duration of the test? I wouldn't like to be in the hospital any longer than necessary. I might be having a section, my placenta is low but consultant is taking a wait and see approach for now. I'd rather know what's happening so I can plan my maternity leave.

She sees a different consultant to me. You just go in for the test it takes a few seconds and then you go home. They get the results like 4 hours or so later.

She sees a different consultant to me. You just go in for the test it takes a few seconds and then you go home. They get the results like 4 hours or so later.

Oh that's not too bad once you're not far from the hospital

Oh that's not too bad once you're not far from the hospital

My consultant never mentioned testing to me but I am not having an elective section (touch wood). He did explain the 3 zones within the hospital though....green, orange and red.

I am seeing him Friday week and get the full story off him. :)
    Fingers crossed covid will be gone or nearly gone by August :)

Girls I hope everyone is keeping well!
    I finally managed that maternity benefit form! Jeekers it was tough going!!!
    Work have it now so hopefully they won’t forget to post it!!!!

I saw something that maternity leave might get extended! I wonder will we benefit? :)

I saw something that maternity leave might get extended! I wonder will we benefit? :)

Only for those whose maternity wss due to end March to September of this year I think.

Had my scan today. 32weeks and all is well. Baby measuring around 4lbs 5 head down and all that. Can't believe it's so close now. Pregnancy is flying.

Hey millem!! All going grand here thankfully. Counting down days til my consultant apt next week. Not been seen by anyone in 7 weeks so it’s hopefully gonna put my mind at ease....

I got my mb1 & mb2 sent away last week. Dept social welfare text me this week to say they would be in touch! Hopefully I didn’t mess it up too badly ;) wouldn’t it be great to get mat leave extended!!

HQ glad all went well today for you!! Huge relief I’m sure

Only for those whose maternity wss due to end March to September of this year I think.

Had my scan today. 32weeks and all is well. Baby measuring around 4lbs 5 head down and all that. Can't believe it's so close now. Pregnancy is flying.

Wow fantastic!! Not long now! Time will fly!!!

Saw that re dates but then saw Leo said legislation can’t be implemented retrospectively! So hoping maybe they might say ok starting from a future date? You know like they always do eg when then brought in men b vaccine or parent’s benefit etc

Wow fantastic!! Not long now! Time will fly!!!

Saw that re dates but then saw Leo said legislation can’t be implemented retrospectively! So hoping maybe they might say ok starting from a future date? You know like they always do eg when then brought in men b vaccine or parent’s benefit etc

Ah I missed what he said. Although as a teacher my trust in anything announced or promised by this current government is at an all time low...sorry can't help but be cynical!

Extra time would be lovely, did the UK have a similar petition? I vaguely remember reading about it. I wonder was their maternity extended?

• Advertisement

Ah I missed what he said. Although as a teacher my trust in anything announced or promised by this current government is at an all time low...sorry can't help but be cynical!

Extra time would be lovely, did the UK have a similar petition? I vaguely remember reading about it. I wonder was their maternity extended?

Yes they did I don’t know what happened. They have longer mat leave than us though.

I remember on my last son they brought in extra mat leave for premature babies.....it was announced before he was born. But couldn’t be put in place until 3 months after he was born so I didn’t get it!
    :(

Did you read the roadmap for the reopening of schools released today? I wouldn’t use the term roadmap mind you- the vagueness!! So glad we won’t be there for it if I’m honest.... hopefully all will be well by sept ‘21!

Did you read the roadmap for the reopening of schools released today? I wouldn’t use the term roadmap mind you- the vagueness!! So glad we won’t be there for it if I’m honest.... hopefully all will be well by sept ‘21!

So glad we won’t be there but at the same time we need to get the kids back to school. Parents can’t go back to work (teachers included) until kids go back. I don’t know what the answer is tbh!
    If I was back I would be staying in my room or my car a lot! I would try and keep my distance from the kids! I am always mindful of headlice anyway so always get them to hop up out of their units etc if they need help on the sewing machine etc.

Let’s face it though it comes down to money!! The gov do not want to or have any money for all this social distancing etc for schools. We didn’t even have hot water or soap everywhere!

Girls did you fill out your mat leave form? I told my principal I will be in touch re unpaid in December but told him I my aim is to stay out till the 25th May 2021.
    I think I have it all figured out now.
    I chanced my arm and brought up the unpaid personal days and he said yeah that it was fine! They are a huge help as we get get paid weekends and I save parental leave! Here’s hoping he understood me!!!

Oh I did.... I'd get a siteban if I used the language that I would like to describe it with. The department of education are a disgrace.

Girls has anyone started their hospital bag? I am going to (try) start it tonight!
    Started feeling lots of pressure and movement yesterday which got me a bit worried on the lack of prep I have done!!

Towels wise....I can’t find black. I was just think the cheapest dark blue ones in Dunnes?

How many packs of maternity pads? I need to buy those mad green ones for hospital! I am thinking 3? I got a box of lil let maternity ones from amazon delivered....so cheap but may be rubbish!!

Also need a dressing gown!

I have all the baby's stuff packed and about half of my own stuff. I'm really not motivated to finish the packing, it's like the last few weeks have gone so quickly and I'm not mentally ready.

I'm just bringing some old towels from home that I'll bin when I'm finished with them.

I have one pack of Boots maternity pads, no idea how many I will need but there's a Boots nearish the hospital so my husband can get more if I need them!

I'm hoping Penneys will be a bit quieter over the next few weeks as I want a dressing gown and slippers. I won't be bringing the slippers home from the hospital so any cheap pair will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Homestore and more have towels on offer at the minute. They're half price and they have a few dark colours.
    The Boots pads are good but I definitely went through at least 2 packs.
    I got my dressing gown, pjs etc in Dunnes last year.

Such an exciting time for you all. I was in your shoes this time last year and I'm now starting to think of my little boy's 1st birthday party. The time has just gone by so quickly!
    Wishing you all the best as August gets closer :)

I've nothing packed yet. Have started sorting through clothes from my first baby out of the attic so will start packing this week. Any word on restrictions re fathers attending and visiting changing in any of the hospitals?

I have all the baby's stuff packed and about half of my own stuff. I'm really not motivated to finish the packing, it's like the last few weeks have gone so quickly and I'm not mentally ready.

I'm just bringing some old towels from home that I'll bin when I'm finished with them.

I have one pack of Boots maternity pads, no idea how many I will need but there's a Boots nearish the hospital so my husband can get more if I need them!

I'm hoping Penneys will be a bit quieter over the next few weeks as I want a dressing gown and slippers. I won't be bringing the slippers home from the hospital so any cheap pair will do!

Plastic heart good woman! I used the boots ones on my first but I needed the mad green ones from the pharmacy tbh! I bleed for ages like weeks and weeks.
    Great idea re towels! Mine are all white here!! Might try to sneak to dunnes later! Gosh I miss Penney’s!!!

I don’t bother with slippers just get flip flops or crocs which I wear in shower too :)

• Advertisement

I've nothing packed yet. Have started sorting through clothes from my first baby out of the attic so will start packing this week. Any word on restrictions re fathers attending and visiting changing in any of the hospitals?

Ah fab it’s so nice looking at the clothes! Do you know what you are having?

I have an app with my consultant on Friday so will ask him re visiting etc.
    I am actually going to ask him about tubal
    Litigation in the (hopefully unlikely) event I need a section. My husband thinks I am mad but I think 3 kids is loads :)
    Lockdown made me realise I would absolutely hate to be at home full time! I don’t know how I could still work part time with more than 3!!

Advertisement