Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpentry tools for a teenager

Options
13»

Comments

Super - Glad the list has been helpful and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

..board.. wrote: »
    Thank you for all the recommendations, he was delighted with them. He is itching to start making something now.
    My husband couldn't get over the quantity of them.
    Happy Christmas All

Just came across this thread, and its great to hear that your son is so motivated to learn all about the craft of woodworking.

In todays climate of i phones, apps , and whatever, its refreshing to hear
    about young people that have the urge to create, rather than sit back and be entertained. Its brilliant.

And i have to agree with other sentiments that the craft basics should be well mastered before taking the powertool route. Unless constant supervision is part of the route in the early stages, then the possibility of accidents is high. And powertool accidents are messier than a chisel slip in handwork.
    And the thought of a planer thicknesser and a 14 year old is scary to me. I've seen far too many accidents with powertool machinery during my career in the woodworking industry.

And with that thought in mind, I would like to give your youngster some woodworking books that I have collected throughout my woodworking career, which will give him the best instruction available.

502747.JPG

502748.JPG

502749.JPG

502750.JPG

502751.JPG

This range of books will give him the proper, safe route to enjoy his adventure into woodwork. I probably have more to add to this list too,

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

That's a really nice gesture.

iamtony wrote: »
    That's a really nice gesture.

Its no big thing for me. I remember many years ago when i first got interested at 12-13 years of age. I had a voracious appetite for more info, more info, woodwork related:)
    Luckily my father was in the furniture industry, so a plentiful supply of all types of wood was always at hand.
    And from there to my first apprenticeship experience, under the watchful eye of an 80+ year old master cabinetmaker. And as they say, the rest was history.

And i was always taught back then, information is to be shared, not with held.
    So whatever help I can give, its the thing to do for me. And i have had great use of them through the years, and now its time to pass them on.

Hopefully the OP will get back in contact with me, and make this happen.

kadman

I have gathered another few books that would prove invaluable for the novice woodworker
    on his journey into understanding the safe method of woodworking,
    502910.JPG

502911.JPG

502912.JPG

502913.JPG

502914.JPG

• Advertisement

I cant seem to make contact with the op for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

kadman wrote: »
    I cant seem to make contact with the op for some reason

With so few posts I doubt the she is on here very often. Im sure she will see the post soon(ish) and be embarrassed for not seeing the offer sooner:D maybe a PM would get through to her sooner.

iamtony wrote: »
    With so few posts I doubt the she is on here very often. Im sure she will see the post soon(ish) and be embarrassed for not seeing the offer sooner:D maybe a PM would get through to her sooner.

Ahead of you, pm's have been sent already. And she has been on yesterday and today. So shouldn't be too long:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Not necessarily for the op's son as I don't know if the lad would be too young for this but I was given a present of a woodworking course, over a Saturday and Sunday, to make and take home an ardirondack* chair.

The same people - Bevel woodworking - also have a course on making a woodworkers bench that you take home with you.

I enjoyed the weekend and got shown how to use general hand tools and also a little on sharpening tools as we asked that of Tommy, the demonstrator.

If the person woodworking likes music another alternative present could be Bluetooth headphones if the workshop is noisy so you can listen to music all the time. A Bluetooth speaker or a HiFi system with a line in connection (to play podcasts from nous phone ) is another present for someone in a workshop that's not necessarily woodworking tools

* = Don't know if ardirondack is spelt right

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ..board..

Thanks very much for offering the books, you are very good, but I couldn't take them off you. I'm sure you know someone you could give them too, instead of a randomer on boards :)

Thanks very much for everyone's help with the tools. He has cleared a corner of the garage and is building himself a work bench at the moment

• Advertisement

..board.. wrote: »
    Thanks very much for offering the books, you are very good, but I couldn't take them off you. I'm sure you know someone you could give them too, instead of a randomer on boards :)

Thanks very much for everyone's help with the tools. He has cleared a corner of the garage and is building himself a work bench at the moment

I normally think long and hard before I part with any of my woodworking reference books. I value these types of books, well above a lot of my other stuff.

But at 65 , i probably know 95% of what info these books have, after reading them cover to cover, I dont know how many times.

And I know these would be a great source of info for any craftworker, young or old.

And I am asking for nothing in return, except the assurance that these will be for the used for the purpose offered. Thats it.

Give the young lad the option , before you turn them down if you want.

Offer stands at the moment:)

As you are his parent , I respect your wishes not to accept the books on his behalf.

Having had no further contact from the OP, regretfully I am forced to withdraw my offer:(

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

If you still want to move them, i'd be delighted to take them - but that was not your original offer, so feel free to decline.

Cheers

bamayang wrote: »
    If you still want to move them, i'd be delighted to take them - but that was not your original offer, so feel free to decline.

Cheers

It was never a question of moving them, it was to help the youngster out.:)

Advertisement