Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going all in- The search for X% to go sub 3

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

There’s no way I’d step onto a busy/dangerous road just to keep 2 meters from a walker that I would literally pass by in seconds and therefore even if I had C19 the risk of passing it to them is very very low.

And why is it perfectly reasonable for the walker to expect the runner to adhere to distancing, surely there’s a mutually responsibility.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

we've all had experience of this for months now. Personally I've had to check some of my behaviour- previous to this I would never dream of stopping, rather I'd always find a way to run around people. That has changed as I now sometimes stop and walk if I come up behind somebody on a narrow path rather than passing by and rubbing shoulders with them, not because I think the risk of spreading infection is high, it's minuscule, I just try to give people more space. Thats why I wasn't too happy to be herded off the path by somebody who wasn't prepared to give or take but was happy to have me take my chances with a 20 tonne truck.

Wednesday 17/6- 7 miles recovery @ 8:40 min/mi 146 bpm + 40 mins S&C

Legs were tired after Tuesdays session so took if very easy while listening to The Runnerbean podcast for the first time, enjoyable listen.
    Got home and straight into some S&C while watching the return of the premier league, very stop start affair but nice to have live sport returning....hopefully some races won't be too far away. After doing the Hanson plan with no tune up races I just realised I have not run a race in over 7 months.

Thursday 18/6- 10 miles w/Hill & Drills

This was the first time I ever had to write a session down on a piece of paper before heading out the door. The brief was-

Warm up + drills
    5 x 900 steady hills
    2 x single leg uphill bounds
    2 x running bounds
    2 x quick steps
    4 x 100m hill sprints
    Cool down

Warmed up in the rain and did some of the drills. I was under instruction not to push the hills but run 85% effort focusing on good form rather than pace. Got through them quite well apart from finding it hard not to let the heart rate drift too high on long hills.

After that the fun started.....
    Single leg bounds, I did these on a quite road where I was unlikely to be seen. Started into the first one and found them difficult with a high degree of injury risk. A lot of pressure on achilles and calves. Into the second one and a local farmer approached from behind in his jeep, I stopped and jogged- he stopped and asked was everything alright......it seems I looked like I'd stood on a nail and hurt myself the way I was 'running'. I looked like I was auditioning for the lead roll in the remake of My Left Foot.
    The running bounds, quick steps and short hill sprints were less dramatic. Decent session but the body is sore this morning and will be glad of the first rest day in a while.

Really need to try to do some yoga or something as I'm stiff as a board doing the drills and my range of motion is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A basic yoga surya namaskar sun salutation sequence after your session will lengthen everything from your achilles to your glute and lower back. You could do each pose and hold or rotate through a few salutation sequences for 5-10 mins. Easy, quick and a good intro if you want to try an actual yoga session some time

sun_salutes_A_breaths.jpg

Thats very helpful M cheers.

It's only since I've been doing the drills and plyo type stuff that I have noticed how stiff I am, following some youtube clips and I can only do the moves to about 70% of what the person in the clip.

In other news I've just had a courier at the door-

104686303_178449763627579_2976371875318095316_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=jPsTumlmdDUAX9mFYTb&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=ef1d354fef324564d9300a6eadf53709&oe=5F130AF6

VHI rebate money all spent, happy fathers day to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

sideswipe wrote: »
    Wednesday 17/6- 7 miles recovery @ 8:40 min/mi 146 bpm + 40 mins S&C

Legs were tired after Tuesdays session so took if very easy while listening to The Runnerbean podcast for the first time, enjoyable listen.
    Got home and straight into some S&C while watching the return of the premier league, very stop start affair but nice to have live sport returning....hopefully some races won't be too far away. After doing the Hanson plan with no tune up races I just realised I have not run a race in over 7 months.

Thursday 18/6- 10 miles w/Hill & Drills

This was the first time I ever had to write a session down on a piece of paper before heading out the door. The brief was-

Warm up + drills
    5 x 900 steady hills
    2 x single leg uphill bounds
    2 x running bounds
    2 x quick steps
    4 x 100m hill sprints
    Cool down

Warmed up in the rain and did some of the drills. I was under instruction not to push the hills but run 85% effort focusing on good form rather than pace. Got through them quite well apart from finding it hard not to let the heart rate drift too high on long hills.

After that the fun started.....
    Single leg bounds, I did these on a quite road where I was unlikely to be seen. Started into the first one and found them difficult with a high degree of injury risk. A lot of pressure on achilles and calves. Into the second one and a local farmer approached from behind in his jeep, I stopped and jogged- he stopped and asked was everything alright......it seems I looked like I'd stood on a nail and hurt myself the way I was 'running'. I looked like I was auditioning for the lead roll in the remake of My Left Foot.
    The running bounds, quick steps and short hill sprints were less dramatic. Decent session but the body is sore this morning and will be glad of the first rest day in a while.

Really need to try to do some yoga or something as I'm stiff as a board doing the drills and my range of motion is woeful.

I can’t caution you enough about those explosive movements. For me you don’t seem to have a foundation/base? I left a PT coz they had me doing explosive work that the body just wasn’t ready for.

I think you’re mad but you’re probably younger/fitter, if slightly less attractive than me :)

Be careful

TbL

I can’t caution you enough about those explosive movements. For me you don’t seem to have a foundation/base? I left a PT coz they had me doing explosive work that the body just wasn’t ready for.

I think you’re mad but you’re probably younger/fitter, if slightly less attractive than me :)

Be careful

TbL

Appreciate the advice, to be honest doing them feels a bit alien and risky. Before starting them I thought trying something new would be interesting but they should definitely come with a non-spring chicken warning!

Friday 19/6- Nada, first rest day in a while.

Saturday 20/6- 16 miles w/6 @ tempo 7:40 min/mi avg 159bpm

Missed my morning window to get out because I was too lazy and regretted it as the day got windier and wetter. The instruction for this run was simple- no harder than 165bpm for the 6 mile pick up. Started out into the wind and up hill and was nearly at 165bpm four minutes in. Just settled into it and got through it, worst of the rain held off until the last few miles. Nice run along the coast, thirsty work out there, warm and humid. Longest run in a while.

Sunday 21/6- 6 miles @ 8:35 min/mi 142 bpm.

Up in the wicklow hills for a ramble with the family in the morning followed by a slow recovery run in the afternoon to make way for some 'Best Dad in the World' chocolate. Legs not too bad from the long run on Saturday.

Monday 22/6- 6 miles @ 8:25 min/mi treadmill + 20 mins foam roller and stretching.

Decided for a change of scenery and opted for the treadmill and football. Was intending on doing a harder S&C routine but was just lazy in the end and convinced myself that with the hard LT session to follow the next day it wouldn't be wise.

Tuesday 23/6- Session: 3 x 2 miles @ LT off 4 mins + 5 x 60m strides to finish.

The instruction here was to not let the HR overreach so no higher than 175 bpm. Windy, warm and humid conditions made it hard not to let the effort drift especially on the longer drags. Good controlled effort made easier by having a mate join me again.
    splits-

6:19 (167bpm)
    6:33 (177bpm)

6:28 (171bpm)
    6:38 (178bpm)

6:42 (171bpm)
    6:33 (177bpm)

Happy enough considering the conditions. A few short strides to finish and the legs felt petty decent at the end and could have done another 2 mile rep which was how I was told I should feel.

Wednesday 24/6- 6 mile recovery @ 8:30 min/mi 151 bpm.

Combination of a session in the legs and the heat had me working a little harder than intended on this run. The weather was scorching and the meat was marinading in the fridge ready for the BBQ a few glasses in the sunshine followed by the Pool on the telly box. Over did it on the sauce.........and not the marinade variety.

Thursday 25/6- rang in sick

Hot, hot, hot..... warmest day of the year by far in Wicklow and had promised my daughter a swim in the lake so went for a walk and than a dip. Weather was oppressively hot and combined with a bit of a head from the night before I made the decision to switch the hills session with the rest day in the hope the weather and my hangover broke.

Friday 26/6- Hot hills and drills session. 5 x 900m w/jog back rec + hill sprints, bounds and drills.

Pretty awesome electrical storm during the night combined with sweating like a pig in the heat meant a bad nights sleep. Had passed up on a celebratory drink to celebrate Liverpool winning the league for the first time since I was 16. An Uncle of mine was a big Man U fan and used to pay me 50p to say I followed UTD back in the day, I took the money but Liverpool were always my team since I saw king Kenny and Rush playing in the late 80's. Uncle Paddy passed away on Tuesday and I swear the thunder and lightning last night was him losing his **** and wrecking the place up above at Liverpool winning the league!

Up early to do a few bits of work that needed taking care of and then off to a new location for the hill session after last weeks proved tricky with poor road surface. Still hot as hell with humidity in the 90's. Just got stuck in but knew it was going to be tough from the off and was dripping with sweat after 5 mins of warming up. A few drills and into the first rep, feck me the hill was steeper than I thought from the car (had actually never run the road before)- HR rocketing from the off. These were effort based again with low 170's the max bpm. One of the hardest sessions I've ever done and the pace for the reps was 7:37 min/mi!! 50m of a climb over each 900m which combined with the weather had the HR closer to 180 than 170. The average HR for each actually ended up at 175bpm so not to bad. Felt like I was only jogging for that effort though.

Saturday 27/6- 15 miles /w 6 mile pick up.

Up at 5:30 to have breakfast and get this done as the rest of the day was gonna be busy. Not ideal as it meant less recovery time after a hard hill session in the heat which took a lot out of me. Weather cooler but still very humid.
    Felt sluggish to start but got into the tempo section and went a little hard into the wind so the effort went went straight up and I struggled as the splits show-

6:47
    6:52
    6:58
    7:14
    7:10
    6:56

The prescribed pace was between 6:45 and 7:15 which I managed but not in a controlled way. Actually had to stop briefly a couple of times as my HR was spiking like my body thought I was doing hills reps again which was weird! Felt better for the last mile but not a good session overall. Probably not helped by my not arranging the last two sessions better. Body pretty drained after it. Too old for back to back's, early morning sessions and midweek drinks.

Sunday 28/6- 5 miles treadmill recovery + stretch and roll

Bit of a easing of restrictions family reunion on Saturday evening meant a tired lazy day, was close to not bothering but hit the treadmill and watched some football and felt better for doing so, legs very beat up after Friday and Saturday. Full of regret and self loathing for too many evenings spent having a few drinks when usually this time of year I'm starting to get focused on an autumn goal race. May need to change the name of the log to Going a bit in- The search for X% proof!

Monday 29/6- 5 miles easy + Drills and 2 x 5 box jumps

Legs still not fully recovered so glad this was another easy run. Went through the list of 10 or so drills I was sent and then did the box jumps. Was in two minds after TBL's advice but said I'd give them a go but was careful with height and technique. Went fine, not really sure what they add but will keep them in albeit cautiously. I removed some of the single leg up hill bounds already as I thought they had the potential to break me or arrested.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 30/6- Down the clock session

15 mins w-up, dynamic drills
    2x1 mile off 3 mins
    2x800m off 3 mins
    3x400m off 2 mins
    1 mile steady
    3x 200 off 2 mins
    Cool down

Had this planned to to with my usual running buddy before realising it was myself and the wife’s 20th wedding anniversary. Had to rearrange slightly in order to go out to an actual restaurant for the first time in 4 months which was a novelty.

The session itself looked easier on paper. Was quite stiff warming up but the drills loosened me up nicely. As usual the pace for the first rep was a little quick but found a groove and got through it well. Doing faster 200’s towards the end of the session was a new one on me and legs felt like they had a mind of their own at that stage!

Enjoyable session. Prescribed pace was-

1mile @ 6.35 per mile
    800s @ 6.20 per mile
    400s @ 6.10 per mile
    200 ‘fast’

Actual Splits-

1 mile’s @ 6:20 & 6:27
    800’s @ 6:13 & 6:14 min/mi
    400’s @ 6:00, 6:05, 6:05 min/mi
    1 mile steady @ 7:19
    200’s @ 5:35 min/mi

10.5 miles total.

Wednesday 1/7- 6 miles easy + mobility

Decided on the treadmill as it was lashing after I’d done 30 mins yoga routine. Felt good to stretch out a bit. Just vanilla easy miles watching the football. 6 miles @ 8 min/mi

Thursday 2/7- 5 miles easy.

Headed out on a grassy trail along the coast for a change of scenery and to give the legs a break from the road. Was actually hard going in spots as the trail has become quite sandy with all the extra foot traffic over lockdown, enjoyable run though. Didn't get any mobility work done as planned as the day got away from me.

Friday 3/7- Rest day

Decided not to run but did 40 mins S&C + 20 mins yoga instead.

Saturday 4/7- 400's & LT Session

Warm up
    8x400 off 200 steady (6:10 min/mi for 400's, 7:15-7:30 min/mi for 200's)
    5 mins easy
    2 miles at LT pace
    Cool down

Was kind of apprehensive of this session as the recoveries were faster paced than I would be used to. I Went for a hike by the coast with the family earlier in the day and it was warm, humid and windy which didn't help with the apprehension. Got down to my usual spot which is a straight bit of road with a hard shoulder to run in, a track would have been nice. Had the session set up on the watch so so after the warm up and drills just got into it.

400's went well, the 200 recoveries were a bit all over the place pace wise, would have preferred those to be smoother. Having to turn and run back on myself didn't help with loss of momentum-

Splits:
    0.24 mi 1:33 6:14 /mi
    0.12 mi 54s 7:15 /mi
    0.24 mi 1:31 6:06 /mi
    0.12 mi 55s 7:23 /mi
    0.24 mi 1:31 6:06 /mi
    0.12 mi 58s 7:47 /mi
    0.12 mi 54s 7:15 /mi
    0.12 mi 57s 7:39 /mi
    0.24 mi 1:32 6:10 /mi
    0.12 mi 59s 7:55 /mi
    0.24 mi 1:32 6:10 /mi
    0.12 mi 52s 6:58 /mi
    0.24 mi 1:30 6:02 /mi
    0.12 mi 58s 7:47 /mi

Got into the 2 mile @ LT after the 5 mins recovery and was happy with it nice a smooth with 6:44 for each.

Good session overall, it was 20 degrees+ and quite windy so was happy with the session, HR was a little spiky and stubborn coming down on the cool down but probably because of the conditions.

Sunday 5/7- 10 miles easy treadmill @ 8:00 min/mi + 40 mins S&C

Was out again for a long walk with the family battling the wind so didn't get a window to run until 4. Decided to jump on the treadmill and watch the football. Boring run to go with a boring match. Did a decent S&C with some stretching afterwards.

Monday 6/7- 5 miles easy @ 8:25 min/mi.

Start of an easy week that has a 5k time trial at the end to put down a marker for progress. Have enjoyed having the coaching for the last month, it's a nice change to leave the planning in someone else's hands.

Was off today so decided to tackle the job of topping trees around my house. Brutal leylandii yokes that I had to fight my way into to cut and then drag them off to dispose of. Was dripping in sweet all day so nearly didn't bother with the run. Ended up heading out for a short one but didn't bother with the planned yoga as I'd been bending myself into all sorts of shapes and angles for 9 hours to cut trees and face up hedges. F*@king hate gardening.

Got on the weighing scales for the first time in a while 83.8kgs, thats up from 76.9kgs on the 5th of March. Back using MyFinessPal app this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

sideswipe wrote: »
    ......Back using MyFinessPal app this week!!

Same... just entered everything I ate today and despite 1300kcals burnt, I still had surplus! Aha moment..

Tuesday 7/7- 4 Tempo @ 6:47 Hr 174bpm avg w/warm up & down- 7 miles total

Wet windy summers evening again. Had 2 club mates doing a 10k tempo session at sub 3 marathon pace so decided to jump in with them rather than go it alone even though the prescribed pace was closer to 7 min miles. Made it easier to run in a group but was probably working a little harder than I'd have liked with the head wind and rain not helping. Enjoyable run all the same but really highlights how quickly I seem to lose fitness, 3 months ago I was doing 10 miles at that pace- don't think I'd have done another 6 tonight!

Wednesday 8/7- 5 miles easy @ 8:25 min/mi - 30 mins yoga - 30 mins S&C.

Legs fresh enough on this run, just standard recovery miles. Did the yoga and S&C while watching the football, feel like I'm starting to see some benefits from getting these back into the week.

Thursday 9/7- 3 x Mile reps off 400m easy w/wu & wd 7 miles total.

Tried out a cinder track I'd never ran on before. Had company again which was great. A few easy laps to warm up told me it wasn't going to be a great running surface- plenty of bigger loose stones and worn patches - it's seen better days and was more like a trail running track but we just got on with it. Hard to get used to doing laps after using the long straight road stretches. Enjoyed it but pace was a hotter than planned but I wasn't looking at the watch too much

Splits:

6:21 - 175bpm
    6:20 - 178bpm
    6:20 - 176bpm

Good session again but my legs were feeling it after, don't think I'll be rushing back to use the facilities regularly.

Friday 10/7- Rest day

Volunteered to take my daughters school running group for a hour a week during the summer to keep them ticking over. Good crack getting them to do some running while having some fun- many of them hadn't seen each other since March, the atmosphere and energy was electric a real tonic to see and hear endless smiles and laughter from a bunch of 9 & 10 year olds. I was wrecked after my 'rest' day!

Saturday 11/7 30 mins jog + Stretching

Took this V easy as the legs were pretty tender. Great morning for it- ended up going off for the day day tripping in Wexford, walking miles and eating fish & chips & ice cream- 'tis a great wee country when you get the weather.

Woops, bit neglected in here

Monday 13th- 7.5 miles easy @ 8:45 pace HR 150 bpm

Easy miles with nothing really to report.

Tuesday 14th- 4 miles @ LT pace 6:35 min/mi avg HR 177bpm

Had to do this early before driving down the country. Did the warm up and drills and got into it, went well enough but HR was spiking a bit at 3 miles which was strange. Decent session, 7 miles total

Wednesday 15th- 7 miles @ 8:15 min/mi HR 150bpm avg

Spend 6 hours driving to the Cliffs of Moher and back + an hours on a boat watching people get seasick everywhere, pretty choppy!! Got home and felt wrecked but decided to drag myself out, a really enjoyable run.

Thursday 16th- 4 miles @ 8:50 min/mi 145 bpm

Just some early, easy miles before another day of touring. Small bit of stretching afterwards.

Friday 17th- 6 x 1000m w/wu & wd

Family BBQ the night before and the fact I needed to be back before 8 in the morning as we were traveling again meant this was going to be tricky. Avoided all the heavy BBQ'ed meat and nursed a bottle of Corona all night while also sipping on water with electrolyte in it. This meant I was up at 5:30 for breakfast in decent shape. I was nervous of this run anyway but doing long reps at stupid o'clock never fills me with hope of a good session. Got through it and it went well

Splits-
    1. 6:09 min/mi HR 162
    2. 6:05 min/mi HR170
    3. 6:07 min/mi HR169
    4. 6:06 min/mi HR174
    5 6:03 min/mi HR172
    6. 6:02 min/mi HR175

Happy out to have it done only to get back to the in-laws to find out the plans for that day were cancelled because 2 of the kids were sick!!!!! We now live in a world where a bit of a temperature means cancel everything. Could have enjoyed the BBQ a bit and had a lie on.

Saturday 18th- 5 miles @ 8:16 min/mi HR 142

Travelled back home and dragged myself out for an easy run feeling exhausted. Sleep was poor all week and it was catching up with me- went to bed early and slept for 12 hours!!

Sunday 19th July- 15 miles @ 7:40 min/mi HR 165 bpm

15 miles pushing the hills. Run of 3 thirds, first 2 thirds felt good and was moving well, last third was a grind. Low energy and feeling wiped. Not too surprised after a hard week (both running and non-running related) The fact I'd been restricting food intake to drop some weight caught up with me a bit on this run as I felt under fuelled.

Monday 20th July- 4 miles easy + 30 mins Yoga
    Was supposed to be 7 easy but spent an hour chasing school children around earlier in the day at my daughters schools running group which I've helped continue over the summer to keep them active.
    Did the 4 miles on the treadmill so I could go straight into the yoga afterwards.

Tuesday 21th July- Session.
    Wu +drills, strides
    3 x 400 off 90 seconds
    3 mins easy
    4 x 6 min reps off 2 mins
    1 mile steady
    3 x 200m off 2 mins
    Wd

Good session in warm conditions. Found the 400's hard to get the legs moving and they were probably a few seconds slower than planned. The rest of the session hit the pace and felt comfortably hard.
    6 min splits-
    .96 mile (6:15 min/mi)
    .95 mile (6:16 min/mi)
    .95 mile (6:16 min/mi)
    .97 mile (6:09 min/mi)

Felt good after this, definitely feels like some fitness building which is always nice, legs strong and I felt I could depend on them to get me through each split. The 200's felt like I was using somebody else's legs after the longer, slower reps! 

Wednesday 22nd- AM 7 easy @8:42 min/mi HR 147 bpm

Legs felt ok after last night session but was a bit tired after a bad nights sleep. Took it real handy in warm, humid conditions
    PM 30 mins Yoga + 40 mins S&C
    Did this while watching LFC finally getting their hands on the title for the first time since I was 16. 
    Starting to see some benefit in terms of flexibility. 

Have managed to get the weight down to 80kgs, another couple of kgs is the target. In terms of races I think the year is done- am down to do Oylgate in Wexford next month but won't be surprised to see that get cut. The aim is to just get in shape and do some TT's any races that pop up will be a bonus.

Going to try to update this as the last time I typed up a long update stupid glitchy boards.ie crashed and I lost it all!

Thursday 23rd- rest day

Friday 24th- 6 x 900m Hills and drills

Last time I did these they hurt too much. The weather was hot and humid and the hill I chose had too much elevation. I wasn't looking forward to it but luckily a running buddy said he hop into the session with me which made it a little easier.
    Choose a different location which worked out well. Warm. pissing rain, humid and windy.....perfect hill reps weather! 15 mins Wu a few drills and into the session. Kept to the script and made sure it wasn't eyeballs out but with the head wind and steeper last 200m it was hard not to have effort levels drifting up towards the end of each rep. Feel the legs are getting stronger though which helped me through. Ran consistent finishing with a quicker final rep.

Splits-

1. 0.56 mi 6:33 /mi 174 bpm
    2. 0.56 mi 6:30 /mi 176 bpm
    3. 0.56 mi 6:30 /mi 174 bpm
    4. 0.56 mi 6:30 /mi 174 bpm
    5. 0.56 mi 6:24 /mi 174 bpm
    6. 0.56 mi 6:17 /mi 174 bpm

Happy with that- good session.

Saturday 25th- 5 miles easy treadmill + 30 mins Yoga

Legs felt in decent shape after friday session, decided to use treadmill again so I could go straight into the yoga, was intending to do some S&C but ran out of time so will try to get 30 mins in tomorrow which would be 3 x yoga and 2 x S&C for the week.

Sunday 26th July- 13 miler

Went well 7:30 pace HR 162 bpm. Felt better than the previous week.

Monday 27th July- 4 miles easy @ 8:20 pace HR 131 bpm + stretching

Had been training kids running group in the afternoon so had already clocked a few miles with them. Hit the treadmill to run easy with a bit of stretching after.

Tuesday 28th July- 5 mile @ 6:36 pace HR 178bpm wu & cd

Was a little nervous of this one. Had company which was a huge bonus. Tried to start a bit more conservatively after going out too hard for the first mile in the 4 mile versions of this run. Pace prescribed was 6:30 to 6:40 so was happy with the average as the first mile was bang on 6:40 and they got faster with final mile at 6:31 pace. I felt it was controlled but a good hard effort, legs felt strong. Had been out for a hike in the mountains in the morning for 5k so was glad I didn't pay for that during the session as I feared I might! the evening got away from me so didn't get the core session done����

Wednesday 29th- 6 miles recovery @ 8:49 pace + 30 mins Yoga + 40 mins S&C

Took this very slow. Legs good but body somewhat weary as I'd done the core and Yoga first. Just an uneventful plod really.

Thursday 30th- Rest day. 30 mins yoga & hot tub

In the car all day and was wrecked, decided against a short run in favour of yoga and the hot tub. Used a message stick to roll out the legs.

Friday 31st- 6 x 1k off 90 seconds

Hot, humid and breezy for this, body feeling a little tired. Given the conditions I decided to Extend the recovery or risk the session being a disaster, stopped for a drink before jogging the 1 min each rep so was closer to 90 seconds in the end.
    Got into the reps themselves after the warm up and drill/strides. It was out and back with uneven reps into the wind. 21 degrees isn’t exactly scorching but it felt very oppressive. Just tried to dial into the effort and pace and not pay attention to the watch. It wasn’t an easy session but I felt I could depend on the fitness and strength gained to get me through.

Splits

3:45 / Hr 173
    3:44 / Hr 176
    3:47 / Hr 178
    3:46 / Hr 176
    3:46 / Hr 180
    3:42 / Hr 178

So slightly above 6 min/mi pace at 6:03 avg. Happy with the session overall.

Saturday 1st Aug- 5 miles recovery 8:49 pace HR 143

Very easy run followed by yoga. 3 yoga session and 1 core session for the week.
    Legs all good. 2 hours kayaking will have to suffice as the 2 core session which I didn’t manage to fit in!

Sunday 2nd Aug- 90 mins w/ middle 30 30secs on 2 mins off.

Late night and too much red wine.......felt sluggish and stiff, possibly from the kayaking, stopped after 20 mins to stretch out a bit, still a wasn’t great but once I started to open the legs up for the 30 second efforts I started to feel better 11.3 miles total.

A good quality week I think. Need to find some races!

Going to try to update this as the last time I typed up a long update stupid glitchy boards.ie crashed and I lost it all!

Thursday 23rd- rest day

Friday 24th- 6 x 900m Hills and drills

Last time I did these they hurt too much. The weather was hot and humid and the hill I chose had too much elevation. I wasn't looking forward to it but luckily a running buddy said he hop into the session with me which made it a little easier.
    Choose a different location which worked out well. Warm. pissing rain, humid and windy.....perfect hill reps weather! 15 mins Wu a few drills and into the session. Kept to the script and made sure it wasn't eyeballs out but with the head wind and steeper last 200m it was hard not to have effort levels drifting up towards the end of each rep. Feel the legs are getting stronger though which helped me through. Ran consistent finishing with a quicker final rep.

Splits-

1. 0.56 mi 6:33 /mi 174 bpm
    2. 0.56 mi 6:30 /mi 176 bpm
    3. 0.56 mi 6:30 /mi 174 bpm
    4. 0.56 mi 6:30 /mi 174 bpm
    5. 0.56 mi 6:24 /mi 174 bpm
    6. 0.56 mi 6:17 /mi 174 bpm

Happy with that- good session.

Saturday 25th- 5 miles easy treadmill + 30 mins Yoga

Legs felt in decent shape after friday session, decided to use treadmill again so I could go straight into the yoga, was intending to do some S&C but ran out of time so will try to get 30 mins in tomorrow which would be 3 x yoga and 2 x S&C for the week.

Sunday 26th July- 13 miler

Went well 7:30 pace HR 162 bpm. Felt better than the previous week.

Monday 27th July- 4 miles easy @ 8:20 pace HR 131 bpm + stretching

Had been training kids running group in the afternoon so had already clocked a few miles with them. Hit the treadmill to run easy with a bit of stretching after.

Tuesday 28th July- 5 mile @ 6:36 pace HR 178bpm wu & cd

Was a little nervous of this one. Had company which was a huge bonus. Tried to start a bit more conservatively after going out too hard for the first mile in the 4 mile versions of this run. Pace prescribed was 6:30 to 6:40 so was happy with the average as the first mile was bang on 6:40 and they got faster with final mile at 6:31 pace. I felt it was controlled but a good hard effort, legs felt strong. Had been out for a hike in the mountains in the morning for 5k so was glad I didn't pay for that during the session as I feared I might! the evening got away from me so didn't get the core session done🙈🙈

Wednesday 29th- 6 miles recovery @ 8:49 pace + 30 mins Yoga + 40 mins S&C

Took this very slow. Legs good but body somewhat weary as I'd done the core and Yoga first. Just an uneventful plod really.

Thursday 30th- Rest day. 30 mins yoga & hot tub

In the car all day and was wrecked, decided against a short run in favour of yoga and the hot tub. Used a message stick to roll out the legs.

Friday 31st- 6 x 1k off 90 seconds

Hot, humid and breezy for this, body feeling a little tired. Given the conditions I decided to Extend the recovery or risk the session being a disaster, stopped for a drink before jogging the 1 min each rep so was closer to 90 seconds in the end.
    Got into the reps themselves after the warm up and drill/strides. It was out and back with uneven reps into the wind. 21 degrees isn’t exactly scorching but it felt very oppressive. Just tried to dial into the effort and pace and not pay attention to the watch. It wasn’t an easy session but I felt I could depend on the fitness and strength gained to get me through.

Splits

3:45 / Hr 173
    3:44 / Hr 176
    3:47 / Hr 178
    3:46 / Hr 176
    3:46 / Hr 180
    3:42 / Hr 178

So slightly above 6 min/mi pace at 6:03 avg. Happy with the session overall.

Saturday 1st Aug- 5 miles recovery 8:49 pace HR 143

Very easy run followed by yoga. 3 yoga session and 1 core session for the week.
    Legs all good. 2 hours kayaking will have to suffice as the 2 core session which I didn’t manage to fit in!

Sunday 2nd Aug- 90 mins w/ middle 30 30secs on 2 mins off.

Late night and too much red wine.......felt sluggish and stiff, possibly from the kayaking, stopped after 20 mins to stretch out a bit, still a wasn’t great but once I started to open the legs up for the 30 second efforts I started to feel better 11.3 miles total.

A good quality week I think. Need to find some races!

Update cont........

Monday 3rd Aug-
    AM 15 mins easy @ 9:30 min/mi
    PM 50 mins easy @ 8:45 min/mi

Hard to get the legs going in the morning, still a little tired from the long run. felt better by evening though.

Tuesday 4th Aug-
    AM 15 mins easy @ 9:15 min/mi
    PM 3x2 mile @ 6:35 min/mi avg 175 bpm avg per rep

Went out for a shuffle in the AM and was hit by the humidity. Very warm and breezy too. I dropped you a line about switching the 3x2 to the treadmill but I was in the car all day and decided to just pull up my big boy pants and get it done. First rep into 24mph headwind had me working hard and was at the slower end of the 6:30-40 min/mi pace range. The other 2 reps were slightly uphill but the wind was behind me so I think it balanced out. Hot though, 22 degrees which is tropical for Ireland!
    Good session I think, felt strong at the end even though it was on a stepper incline.

Wednesday 5th Aug-
    50 min easy @ 8:50 min/mi HR 142 bpm

Felt a bit weary on this run, wanted to get a S&C session in but hadn't the energy.

Thursday 6th Aug-
    AM 15 mins easy @ 9:14 min/mi HR 143 bpm + 30 mins Yoga
    PM 45 mins w/middle 15 steady (2.16miles) 6:53 min/mi HR 172

Body felt good after the shakeout and Yoga. Hot and humid again for the steady run, was working a bit too hard I feel. Very tired in the evening- garmin suggesting 3 days easy or rest! The conditions at the moment have a lot to do with it, very muggy- I'll never complain about the heat as we get so little but I'm not good at running in warm conditions.

Friday 7th Aug-

AM 15 mins easy treadmill @ 8:30 min/mi + stretching and rolling
    PM 5 x 1 mile

Again V hot by Irish standards, 24 degees and 97% humidity, dripping during the warm up and drills. Again had to consider the pace or the recoveries to suit the conditions, decided to try to hit pace but knew I'd need longer to get the HR down in the heat so ended up extending to 2 and a half mins but walking the first part, getting a drink and wiping the sweat out of my eyes!

Splits-

1. 6.11 min/mi HR 171 bpm.
    2. 6.09 min/mi HR 177 bpm.
    3. 6.12 min/mi HR 179 bpm.
    4. 6.10 min/mi HR 178 bpm.
    5. 6.15 min/mi HR 177 bpm.

Odd numbered splits into the breeze working hard by the last one. Happy to have it in the bag.

Saturday was a rest day which I feel my body was in real need of as I've built up some accumulative fatigue over the last block. Ended up helping my sister move house in the heat again so lifting furniture around all day wasn't the rest day I had in mind!! It'll have to replace the S&C which I've struggled to fit in during the week.

Sunday 9th Aug- 90 mins easy @8:05 min/mi (11.14miles) HR 152 bpm

With the body very weary and my garmin still showing advised recovery as 3 days I decided to run this easy rather that pushing some uphills in the middle 30 minutes. Nice easy run on grass by the sea was just what the doctor ordered. Step back week with 5k TT at the end to follow.....

Advertisement