Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't you a vegan!?

Options

Comments

No I don't, because it is just another religion now and we know how they work.

I suspect though as the vegan movement gains more traction, there'll be more debate than ever on how farm animals are treated.
    paw patrol wrote: »
    the polarising nature of the whole vegan v everybody is tiresome.

I eat the food I like , my diet is quite meat heavy. I'd eat meat 2 out of 3 meals and it's pretty much 99% of meals if milk/eggs thrown in.

So when it comes to the treatment of farm animals, is it a case that you don't care about how animals are treated/killed? (I'm not a vegan; though I'm curious to see how other people react to the claims)
    if im going to make animals suffer by eating meat, then Im going to make plants suffer by eating some of them as well

But plants aren't "sentient".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭victor8600

Plenty old nags being abandoned by our cultural friends, pity not to make use of them.
    Horse is damn tasty meat.

I have cooked meat from an old horse for my dogs once. The meat did look quite tough and smelled as strong as mutton.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am a vegan because like you OP, I saw no argument against it, and many for it. I didn't want to be at all but felt I should, was a pain in the ass at first, it was way harder back then than now - find it a doddle these days. Put it off for a long time (partly because of annoying vegans! haha) but I am much happier now living in line with what I believe to be right.
    Can't be bothered learning how to cook tasty vegan food.

I like making cake. Would happily add meat free meals to my daily diet, but, well...see above.

A vegan bakery won best bakery in Ireland last week which was pretty cool I thought! I also just ate the pizza that won the best pizza in the world this week, and it is vegan. Much easier to buy than cook all right haha :D As it becomes more convenient people will do it, that's really the only way to get most people to do anything!

My sister is vegan too, so is her son. He'll grow up knowing how to make good food so it'll be easier for him. We all come from farms and farmland, yet even my mother eats a load of vegan meals now, has oat milk instead of dairy milk and so on. years ago she wouldn't even try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

notobtuse wrote: »
    Because I have canines, not cow teeth.

That whole canine steer has been disproven. Our ancestors used them for biting lads down at the watering hole, they're purely for fighting, not meat.

A vegan bakery won best bakery in Ireland last week which was pretty cool I thought! I also just ate the pizza that won the best pizza in the world this week, and it is vegan. Much easier to buy than cook all right haha As it becomes more convenient people will do it, that's really the only way to get most people to do anything!

Yeah, but it's back to this idea that you're a meat eater or you're a vegan. That the meat eaters will want to change.

There's a variety of vegan dishes I love from the restaurant nearby. Their vegetarian pizza is wonderful too. I'll often make salads at home without any meat/fish. However, that doesn't stop me or discourage me from eating a dish with 70% meat in it.

There's no way I would ever give up my bacon sandwiches. Nope. Not going to happen. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Cards on the table, I'm not a vegan.

That said, it's very hard to argue against the common vegan. After all, almost nobody argues that there is some positive benefit toward the infliction of suffering on animals.

Nobody would argue in favour of collecting dogs in the back of a truck, and sending them off for slaughter in some local abatoir. But that's precisely what happens with the other sentient animals.

The process is often brutal, but even if it were pain-free, the argument goes that animals shouldn't be killed in the same way we wouldn't recommend it for horses or dogs.

I can't really think of a valid argument against veganism. You'd think, then, that I would convert to veganism, but I haven't - and won't. It's a purely selfish endeavour, then, because I'm being hypocritical about how I would react if I saw dogs treated in the same way as farmed animals.

True, there are evolutionary reasons for eating meat. I think the argument now is that there are sufficient plant alternatives.

So, why aren't you a vegan?

Perhaps you have a valid position I, or others here, haven't thought of.

But thus far, I can't frame a case against it.

Some nutrients are far more bioavailable via meat. Iron, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

That said, it's very hard to argue against the common vegan. After all, almost nobody argues that there is some positive benefit toward the infliction of suffering on animals.

Nobody would argue in favour of collecting dogs in the back of a truck, and sending them off for slaughter in some local abatoir. But that's precisely what happens with the other sentient animals.

The process is often brutal, but even if it were pain-free, the argument goes that animals shouldn't be killed in the same way we wouldn't recommend it for horses or dogs.

I can't really think of a valid argument against veganism. You'd think, then, that I would convert to veganism, but I haven't - and won't. It's a purely selfish endeavour, then, because I'm being hypocritical about how I would react if I saw dogs treated in the same way as farmed animals.

True, there are evolutionary reasons for eating meat. I think the argument now is that there are sufficient plant alternatives.

Yes, those are reasonable points. But if you get down to the bones of it (:pac:) humans are dangerous predators who were designed to hunt, kill and eat without any remorse. Emotions and other weaknesses somehow worked their way in there but we need to suppress all these feelings and continue eating meat so we can defend ourselves against other barbaric creatures.

I've never seen a vegan overpower a not-a-vegan. Not saying it can't be done, I have just never seen it. Also, in our theoretical vegan utopia, should we stop other animals eating meat also? I'd hate to get between a lion and his supper.

Halal/kosher on the other hand...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I've never seen a vegan overpower a not-a-vegan.

Do you see people overpower each other often :D
    Here's an irish vegan lifting 750lbs (340kg), there's a reason the video has millions of views! Strong dude!

There's a new documentary out about plantbased athletes on netflix that is really good, i saw it in the cinema recently
    https://www.netflix.com/title/81157840

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I like meat. I believe it's good for me nutritionally in the quantities I eat.
    I don't think we would have gotten to the top of the foodchain if we'd been vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Would you be comfortable if dogs or horses or cats were farmed in accordance with the same methods, then, to add more diversity to our menus?

It's all just fuel. Have eaten horse several times on the continent. Never had the opportunity to try cat or dog. Guinea pig in Peru. Insects in Asia. Like I said, all just fuel at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i love meat. i tried being vegetarian before, i lasted a year
    also the substitutes are never ever gf

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

bfa1509 wrote: »

I've never seen a vegan overpower a not-a-vegan. Not saying it can't be done, I have just never seen it.

Apart from Nate Diaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Love my steak and other meats.
    If I was born to eat green stuff I’d have four legs.

Same as meself. A vegetarian once removed. I only eat vegetarian animals.

bluewolf wrote: »
    i love meat. i tried being vegetarian before, i lasted a year
    also the substitutes are never ever gf

Just had the new "meatless farm co" sausages from Dunnes this evening, they were great and gluten free if you want to give those a whirl.

The_Meatless_Farm_Co_Sausages.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do vegans eat eggs or honey? Or are these optional?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just had the new "meatless farm co" sausages from Dunnes this evening, they were great and gluten free if you want to give those a whirl.

The_Meatless_Farm_Co_Sausages.jpg

Brilliant i totally will

There’s a lot to lose from people not eating meat, plus I like meat. The attitude of vegans would deter me from the whole scene more than anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I can see a case for vegetarian alright which covers everything you describe

Vegan? Literally F**k that ****.

What’s with vegan sausage rolls and burgers anyway? You’re just torturing yourself instead of the animal

bluewolf wrote: »
    Brilliant i totally will

They have mince too, which is dead handy. Hope you enjoy! Good bit of protein for the gains.

Do vegans eat eggs or honey? Or are these optional?

As far as I'm aware, they don't eat eggs or honey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

I suspect sometime within the next 20 years meat in first world countries eaters will most likely be eating synthetically grown meat or 'cultured meat', sourced from the DNA of the finest specimens of each type of meat. Solves the whole slaughter debate and sustainability issues also.

The basic technology exists today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

victor8600 wrote: »
    Too expensive to farm those species for meat. Especially cats.

99dd.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

I find Vegans to generally be hippies and enforcing their views on people.

I known a few vegetarians but its really just for health reasons they don't eat meat and don't go around blabbing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ah stealth vegans pretending to be meat eaters to try and sway opinion (joking).

Real answer is I like meat, it is nutritional and good for us in moderation. Personally would have no issues going more vegetarian but no way I'd go vegan, like my eggs and cheese too much.

wassie wrote: »
    I suspect sometime within the next 20 years meat in first world countries eaters will most likely be eating synthetically grown meat or 'cultured meat', sourced from the DNA of the finest specimens of each type of meat. Solves the whole slaughter debate and sustainability issues also.

The basic technology exists today.

This will really be what kills off traditional animal farming, it'll eventually scale and be cheaper. One of the companies is already in distribution talks with the biggest meat manufacturer in the world. They are making easier things like chicken nuggets kinda crap and working on wagyu steak at the same time.

These first chicken nuggets were grown from a feather two years ago, so people were eating chicken while the actual chicken was walking around beside them that it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Cos meat is murder lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭wassie

Yes - I think the long term implication for beef production is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I was a vegetarian in my twenties for 6 years and wouldn't find it that difficult, I don't eat meat every day but veganism would be a step too far for me, I'd find it far too restrictive, I gave up dairy a few years ago as I thought it might have been contributing to really bad reflux, thankfully it wasn't the cause of my problems because a life without cheese would have been a huge sacrifice for me, ditto for eggs. The substitutes were never going to do it for me, and that's another issue, there's a lot of highly processed vegan food out there, particularly the substitutes that ere far from healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't eat meat. I order loads of food from chip shops though that's most likely been thrown in the oil with fish and chicken.

I'm not a good cook so I couldn't rustle up many nice vegan meals. There's the odd nice vegan ready meal but they're few and far between. This is lovely.

th?id=OIP.GnI3jaeaqpcv3NHzAuNDMgHaHb&pid=Api&rs=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

There's a new documentary out about plantbased athletes on netflix that is really good, i saw it in the cinema recently
    https://www.netflix.com/title/81157840

supposedly more a propaganda piece rather than a hard hitting doc. i assume these athletes were not raised vegan from birth? or even vegan from their teenage years?

As for vegan strongmen, there are too much steroids floating about to take any individual claims seriously. certainly some of the well known social media ones are taking steroids

in purely health terms over the long term, at a minimum its a very complicated way of eating, at the other end could be quite risky, though might have some advantages over the worst of western diets. i certainly wouldnt experiment on myself to eat a diet with no significant history.
    in the US the precursors to veganism have a dodgy past tied up with 19th century religious cults, where avoiding meat was supposed to make people more docile.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement