Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What difference does it make to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I have a few pairs of jeans

But what style are those jeans? That's the important question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Effects wrote: »
    Have you got a look book?

I have lots of books on fashion and style. You not being aware of a style doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Well, you've come on here and started the conversation by telling us all how different you are and asking why we wouldn't be ok with it. Maybe you do the same in real life and that is why you get people's backs up? I couldn't care less what kind of manky facial hair someone decides to sport, once I'm not going home with them, but if someone was all, "what are you looking at?" or expecting a reaction then that would irk me somewhat. You see it all the time with lads going around with bully breeds - looking around to see if people are looking at them. Who'd be bothered?

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I have lots of books on fashion and style. You not being aware of a style doesn't mean anything.

You not being aware of what a look book is says a lot about you though.

I think you're trying to hard Ray.

Seems to me like you want to stand out for the attention (no harm in that, if that's what floats your boat) but then when you get that attention you throw a hissy fit - which is more than a little bit fúcked up!

I pass this bloke sometimes on my way home from work who dresses like Jack the Ripper - he had a fúcking top hat, a cane and a cape on the other day, doesn't bother me, he looked quite well (if more than a little out of place) in all honesty, but only a total gobshíte would expect people not to look or occasionally comment when they're wearing a top hat, walking cane and cape in clondalkin!

You have an wardrobe organised by decade and a died handlebar mustache ffs - of course you're striving to be different. That shít takes time, money and effort. I have a few pairs of jeans and about 50 t shirts in various degrees of tatters. If you asked me to dress 50's style i wouldn't have the faintest clue what that entailed.
    You have no idea what I currently look like so wind you neck back there.Never said I had a wardrobe divided by decades. The fact you are ignorant about styles doesn't mean anything.

For somebody not bothered what people wear you are going out of your way to assume things about me.

If you really are clueless then you couldn't spot the difference between the Fonz and Ron Burgundy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Wow that live and let live attitude is really shining through there Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Assume away. If I looked like everybody else why would anyone comment? If you paid attention you would have seen that was one mention of one particular look I have worn. Depending on how I feel my clothes vary. I am not what people call a hipster which in itself is just a very wide scope. I used to wear a lot of 70s clothing then 50s and after that a mix.

The fact you assume I am a hipster is part of the same limited mentality.

It is not about me getting attention or striving to be different. Your above statement just stinks of a belief you have a superior view on how others dress. Do you ever comment on what others wear because you certainly have a dim view of what you consider hipsters. Hard to believe you keep that to yourself
    The point being I am not mixing in these circles they intrude on me as I go about my life. Part of it is certainly homophobic as certain people will assume sexuality based on clothing.

It isn't just some little scrotes but adults passing comment. If you don't like their joke they often become threatening or violent. I have come off worse for wear and other times it is them. After a few times I tend to sense the situation and am quite prepared to defend myself and others I just hit them straight away. Don't insult somebody if you don't want a punch

I think from reading the above, you are the actual problem. You appear to court trouble, I know and see plenty of people who dress differently to others and have never seen them getting abuse or into fights, yet you appear to experience it regularly. The common denominator here is you. I think you need to get on with your life and quit looking around to see who is looking at you as it very obviously bothers you or at least learn to walk away or just ignore idiots who feel the need to make stupid comments.

I used to wear a lot of 70s clothing then 50s and after that a mix.

If you really are clueless then you couldn't spot the difference between the Fonz and Ron Burgundy.

So you sport a mix of 70s and 50s, between Ron Burgandy and the Fonz, have a handlebar moustache and dyed hair, and like to start fights with people who look at you, which is what you want in the first place?

7VhADzb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You have no idea what I currently look like so wind you neck back there.Never said I had a wardrobe divided by decades. The fact you are ignorant about styles doesn't mean anything.

For somebody not bothered what people wear you are going out of your way to assume things about me.

I know fonzy wore a leather jacket, but that's about it, i couldn't tell you what Ron wore.

I'm not assuming anything. You said sometimes you dress in 20's style, sometimes 50's, sometimes 70's....those are decades are they not? I also couldn't care less if you're wearing a top hat and tails, a baby grow or a nice flowery frock - why would i? Why difference does it make?

What have you got against the 30's, 40's and 60's by the way, you know what you are Ray? You're a fúcking decadist. Shame on you:mad:

I know fonzy wore a leather jacket, but that's about it, i couldn't tell you what Ron wore.

The clue is in his name, Ron Burgundy.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    The clue is in his name, Ron Burgundy.

I wasn't sure cos i messed up previously with jack black:)

I think from reading the above, you are the actual problem. You appear to court trouble, I know and see plenty of people who dress differently to others and have never seen them getting abuse or into fights, yet you appear to experience it regularly. The common denominator here is you. I think you need to get on with your life and quit looking around to see who is looking at you as it very obviously bothers you or at least learn to walk away or just ignore idiots who feel the need to make stupid comments.

Let's apply your logic to others.

You see a women walking down the street and she isn't being sexual harassed. So women aren't sexually harassed according to you.

You are assuming I look for trouble but I never once said I go looking at people's reactions. I said they comment and approach me. You are effectively victim blaming. Are you one of these people who asks what a women was wearing when sexually assaulted?

Give you an example
    Scum "Stupid beard"
    Me "Mostly your ma's pubes"
    Scrum " what did you just say"
    Me "anything I damn well please"
    Scum "I'll f**k you up"
    Me " Go for it "
    Scum walks away after staring at me to see if it is worth it. Other occasions people threw punches for what I said.

Yes I gave an aggressive response to an insult but I didn't start anything. Do you think I should just accept it? If somebody insults you do you say nothing?

Yes I gave an aggressive response to an insult but I didn't start anything. Do you think I should just accept it? If somebody insults you do you say nothing?

As far as I'm concerned, if I see someone dressed very differently, or ostentatiously, my first reaction is not to give them the attention they crave.

The only reason it's called ostentatious or different is precisely because it gets attention - and the people who dress in this way know full well, in advance, of this fact, yet they continue to go down that path.

I can only conclude, then, that they a) know about the attention and relish it or b) they lack self-awareness that they are attention seekers.

That's the fundamental reality.

So whilst I personally don't care what you wear, what you are wearing says a lot about your personality - and the attention needs it has. It's those attention needs that would have me stay well, well away from you.

In other words, the ostentatious look/garb is a symptom of an underlying issue I would have with you. There's probably an element of narcissism in there too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You see a women walking down the street and she isn't being sexual harassed. So women aren't sexually harassed according to you.

You are assuming I look for trouble but I never once said I go looking at people's reactions. I said they comment and approach me. You are effectively victim blaming. Are you one of these people who asks what a women was wearing when sexually assaulted?

Give you an example
    Scum "Stupid beard"
    Scum "I'll f**k you up"
    Me " Go for it "
    Scum walks away after staring at me to see if it is worth it. Other occasions people threw punches for what I said.

Pretty much yeah, why resort to their level or even lower? Walk away from the encounter. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've seen people into various styles and fashions over the years and the main people who attract negative attention generally draw it on themselves by opening their mouth!

As far as I'm concerned, if I see someone dressed very differently, or ostentatiously, my first reaction is not to give them the attention they crave.

This pathetic BS again and again. Why you think people dress for others attention is how you feel about it. It is not how I feel about it and you are projecting.

It would be the same as me saying the reason you wear your clothes is because you are cowardly and want to blend into the crowd as much as possible. You are afraid to be an individual in any shape or form and go along with the crowd. Is that how you feel about what you wear?

I don't feel the way you are saying I do.

You are assuming I look for trouble but I never once said I go looking at people's reactions.
    Give you an example
    Scum "Stupid beard"

What does the beard look like? Must be pretty wacky for people to comment on it.
    Got any pictures of your styles so we can get a better understanding of what you're on about?

This pathetic BS again and again. Why you think people dress for others attention is how you feel about it. It is not how I feel about it and you are projecting.

It would be the same as me saying the reason you wear your clothes is because you are cowardly and want to blend into the crowd as much as possible. You are afraid to be an individual in any shape or form and go along with the crowd. Is that how you feel about what you wear?

I don't feel the way you are saying I do.

Then you subscribe to the (b) option in my above post, namely, in denial about the total lack of self-awareness of your attention needs.

Let me put it another way: if there were no people in the world, you wouldn't be doing the same things, because there would be nobody around for you to show your personality/identity/fashion etc. Same goes for fashion generally; items are purchased from the perspective of how it will make the owner look in the eyes of other people.

Not all, of course, but a lot of fashion is based on this - otherwise, everyone would be wearing white, bland t-shirts and jeans. Same with the fools who pay 400 pounds for a handbag just because it has a name on it; it's purchased for how it's perceived by other people in the mind of the person purchasing it. If there were no people around, they'd choose a very different bag.

It's almost all attention-based and centres around narcissism.

You take it to the obvious extreme, you just can't see it.

Give you an example
    Scum "Stupid beard"

I love it Ray!

I haven't shaved in about a week - i might leave it another couple just so i can use this line on someone :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wut??
    "Victim blaming". Oh FFS. If a woman walked down O'Connell street in Dublin in a bikini and high heels and then was surprised that people were staring at her, or some men were gazing at her tits, or even catcalling after her, I'd assume she's a moron for not realising why some might react that way and/or getting a wide on for the attention she was getting.
    Give you an example
    Scum "Stupid beard"
    Scum "I'll f**k you up"
    Me " Go for it "
    More and more you're telegraphing that you like the attention and seek it out and seek out the "scum" to react to you, so you can get some buzz out of the interaction and prove what your worldview already believes. The fact you then purposely escalate the potential for violence says it all.
    My ego isn't so easily bruised. I have found that the insults that really land with people are those that hit a nerve or they already believe to be true to some degree, or get some masochistic kick out of it, or - and often seems to be more the case - are looking for any insult as their ego is so damned fragile, or some or all of the above. Mostly ego though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Scum "Stupid beard"
    Me "I will have frantic sex with your face"
    Scum "I'll f**k you up"
    Me "Thats sounds like a truly lovely way to spend an evening, shall we have a meal first?"

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Scum "Stupid beard"
    Scum "I'll f**k you up"
    Me "Thats sounds like a truly lovely way to spend an evening, shall we have a meal first?"

BOOM: *sets up tripod for face banging scene*

Scum "I'll f**k you up"

Up what?

A laneway, a lampost, the arse, what, WHAAAAT????? Come on scum don't leave me hanging?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah, why resort to their level or even lower? Walk away from the encounter. Easy.

If you are with your mother, daughter,sister or girlfriend and they said something to them you would say and do nothing?

Yeah I believe that.

If you are with your mother, daughter,sister or girlfriend and they said something to them you would say and do nothing?

Yeah I believe that.

Pretty much yeah.

Then you subscribe to the (b) option in my above post, namely, in denial about the total lack of self-awareness of your attention needs.

You can put your amateur psychology skills to rest. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. This is an issue in Ireland because I don't get hassle of any kind in other countries. The UK is similar to here but it is actually have laws in place to an extent that cover this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

From just simple comments to violent attacks. What difference does it make to people that they do this? If I dye my hair and have a handle bar moustache what does it do to you?

You’re still wanted by the fashion police for that peacoat

The%20Viper%20Foley%20stand-off.jpg

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah.

I said I believe you.

Those with you will of course be proud of you. Your crying daughter wouldn't bother you. Your angry girlfriend will say nothing herself or to you. Your mother will commend you for being a great son.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Over the years I have worn some questionable fashion and styled my hair or beard as suited. Never been particularly bothered by others views and have a general live and let live view.
    Of course others don't have the same view and think they should let people know what their view is. From just simple comments to violent attacks. What difference does it make to people that they do this? If I dye my hair and have a handle bar moustache what does it do to you?

It basically has the dual effect of leaving you in no doubt as to the fact that I think you look ridiculous, and would want to discourage you from thinking I liked the cut of your jib. Men wearing skinny suits are a good example of people who incur my disgust.

Proximity is also a relevant factor of course - if you’re a complete stranger it doesn’t bother me enough to be motivated to express my disapproval, if you’re someone I have to work with... I won’t hold back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You can put your amateur psychology skills to rest. You don't have a clue what you are talking about. This is an issue in Ireland because I don't get hassle of any kind in other countries. The UK is similar to here but it is actually have laws in place to an extent that cover this.

I'm rather thankful to be living in a country that doesn't waste police resources protecting the soft ego of men who sport moustaches and imagine that everyone is being mean to them because of it. We have far greater problems!

Advertisement