Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge dismisses defamation case over €1 shopping bag

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

And letters from the solicitor within a week?

Either that's a really quick solicitor, or she had that lined up already.

Probably planned for a long time; merely like a hunter waiting for it’s prey until the opportunity presented itself in her opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

is_that_so wrote: »
    Many of my promised bag for life bags are now at the bottom of a landfill!

the "bag for life" means the life of the bag not the life of the bagholder. they give you a new one free when the old one passes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

daheff wrote: »
    They don't need to know the law....they need to know the likelihood of getting paid out .....either before or during a case.

They then need to explain that to their client who decides how far to push the cash case

Some of these work on a no win no fee basis and have the client pay insurance to cover the legal fees.

Almost all work on a no win no fee basis (your side only), but there's no insurance to cover it.

How it works is like a one armed bandit. Pull the lever 20 times, if it pays out 10 of those 20 times, you are a winner.

Costs are inflated to a level that cases such as these are well covered by the cases they win.

Its a total con and those that suffer are genuine claimants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jonnygee wrote: »
    the "bag for life" means the life of the bag not the life of the bagholder. they give you a new one free when the old one passes away.

I'm looking forward to getting one in the will.

As for the case, dismissal was the only logical thing otherwise it would be mayhem. And the coda "you'll pay legal costs for both parties from here on in my court " hopefully will soften a few coughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is this buried in tiny T&Cs somewhere?! Never heard that before!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

We all know that the compensation culture is abhorrent, and out of control.

Just reflect for a minute how ramped up that culture would have been if the Judge had ruled in favour of the claimant?

Someone buy that Judge a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

A yolk from the flats with a brass neck and trying to pull a scam. What’s new? What surprised me was that she shopped in marks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The greatest scam since the film The Never Ending story :(
    Life really should mean life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

I cant imagine going.to.my.solicitor and asking him to bring a case to sue my local supermarker cos i was asked if i had paid for a bag. He would tell me to go lump it, and rightly so. The mind boggles it really does, a €75,000 claim, 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

“Judge O'Connor made no order for costs but warned that in future claims where there was no evidence of defamation he would award costs against the plaintiff.”

If that started happening perhaps the numbers of such cases would decrease.

• Advertisement

Stratvs wrote: »
    “Judge O'Connor made no order for costs but warned that in future claims where there was no evidence of defamation he would award costs against the plaintiff.”

Yeah, each side must pay their own costs, or are supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Basically you get the first go for free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Costs should be against the plaintiff and the solicitor together. Then they might stop encouraging people to bring these crappy cases to court and wasting everyone's time.

Costs should be against the plaintiff and the solicitor together. Then they might stop encouraging people to bring these crappy cases to court and wasting everyone's time.

The judge may have been a solicitor of that company before going to the bench or even a barrister affiliated to the solicitor, Judges using their discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

More decisions like this, please.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Basically you get the first go for free.

I wonder the way it was worded did he mean that or did he mean any other cases coming before him from any (not necessarily that specific) plaintiff. In which case that’s the free one, no more for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why don't they name the solicitor?
    edit: Oh, they did. Miley and Miley Solicitors

http://www.mileyandmiley.ie/#section2

“Ms Walsh who appeared with Miley and Miley solicitors For M&S” They were the stores solicitors not the plaintiffs who appear to be nameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Well holy god.

Reminds me of the Father Ted episode where the solicitor was from Corless, Corless & Sweeney

• Advertisement

I wonder the way it was worded did he mean that or did he mean any other cases coming before him from any (not necessarily that specific) plaintiff. In which case that’s the free one, no more for anyone else.

RTÉ news just reported this as to mean in any other cases coming before him of this type he will award costs of both against an unsuccessful plaintiff. So no more freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

silver2020 wrote: »
    Nope - that is what the person claiming the compo said the checkout person said.

I'd always be suspicious of what someone claiming compo for such rubbish says and take whatever such person says with a pinch of salt.

Costs should have been awarded against her and her solicitors should have been named and shamed.

Yes, and the Judge did say that in future anyone bringing such spurious claim's in his court, and being dismissed, would have the full cost's awarded against them. Its about time, and prosecute them too. Only when the legal eagles start losing money when the case goes against them, will they start being more selective on the advice they give their customer's...and on what case's they take on. Seems to be a bit more and more we are hearing about cases being kicked out...( thank God) would it be anything to do with the forth coming election?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think Charlie & Craig put it best:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbhXPDQ7-s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

We all know that the compensation culture is abhorrent, and out of control.

Just reflect for a minute how ramped up that culture would have been if the Judge had ruled in favour of the claimant?

Someone buy that Judge a pint!

That Judge has been responsible for many a large payout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Who was her solicitor?

Reminds me of the Father Ted episode where the solicitor was from Corless, Corless & Sweeney

https://www.legalcheek.com/2016/02/lawyers-with-brilliant-names-you-just-couldnt-make-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is this buried in tiny T&Cs somewhere?! Never heard that before!

It is true, but it was only in the Northern Ireland/Uk supermarkets. The heavier quality plastic bag for life cost 10p originally and was replaced for free when worn out. I don't think they were free in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once bought some stuff in Aldi and took an Aldi bag out of my pocket to put them into. The cashier gave me a dirty look and asked where I'd gotten the bag. I told her it was mine. I was prepared to show her how creased up it was from being in my pocket but she didn't question me further. She still had a bit of an attitude though. I still have the emotional scars. They say time heals all wounds but I can't imagine this pain will ever go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

“Ms Walsh who appeared with Miley and Miley solicitors For M&S” They were the stores solicitors not the plaintiffs who appear to be nameless.

Media's legal correspondents protecting the reputation of their friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Agreed, these frivilous cases are exactly the reason why insurance prices have gone through the roof because pathetic trolls and chancers have been allowed to game the system by putting in these kinds of claims to begin with. They shouldn't allow these cases to reach court all they're doing is encouraging those who are only out for easy money and nothing else.

Advertisement