Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge dismisses defamation case over €1 shopping bag

Options
  • 18-11-2019 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Can we have more of these kind of judgments please.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/1118/1092670-marks-spencer-bag/
    A €75,000 damages claim for defamation, over whether a Marks and Spencer customer had paid for a €1 shopping bag, has been described by a judge as over the top.

Judge John O'Connor said in the Circuit Civil Court that a store checkout operator asking someone if they had paid for a bag did not give rise to a defamation action nor did becoming upset at such a question justify a claim.

Comments

I was embarrassed, shocked and upset when the checkout operator placed the change on the counter instead of my hand. Need at least €75,000 to soften the blow to my ego.

Entitlement knows no bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I was embarrassed, shocked and upset when the checkout operator placed the change on the counter instead of my hand. Need at least €75,000 to soften the blow to my ego.

Entitlement knows no bounds.

The impact of a compo culture on our society, people think they can sue for the slightest thing. Another person who got a free run at it, whether costs are awarded against her or not, the odds of that money being collected is slim to none

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What was her solicitor up to? Don't they know the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

is_that_so wrote: »

They don't need to know the law....they need to know the likelihood of getting paid out .....either before or during a case.

They then need to explain that to their client who decides how far to push the cash case

Some of these work on a no win no fee basis and have the client pay insurance to cover the legal fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Reading the article the checkout operator demanded she 'prove she had paid for the "Bag for Life" and had to produce a receipt. That shouldn't happen, not saying theirs a claim for compo, but she should have told the operator to f**k off and left it at that

• Advertisement

daheff wrote: »
    They don't need to know the law....they need to know the likelihood of getting paid out .....either before or during a case.

They then need to explain that to their client who decides how far to push the cash case

Some of these work on a no win no fee basis and have the client pay insurance to cover the legal fees.
    They are going to look like idiots in this type of scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Reading the article the checkout operator demanded she 'prove she had paid for the "Bag for Life" and had to produce a receipt. That shouldn't happen, not saying theirs a claim for compo, but she should have told the operator to f**k off and left it at that

Indeed. Maybe by way of compensation the judge should have compelled M&S to provide the claimant the use of said bags for the rest of her life. A bag for life maybe.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

What they were paid to do presumably.

The checkout operator needs to brush up on their customer service skills yes, did it warrant a civil action no.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

except the checkout operator said that she never said that. who to believe? the woman who stands to make 10's of thousands or the checkout operator with nothing to really gain?

• Advertisement

Is there an insurance scheme in place for losing a civil action? I see that apparently there's an insurance scheme? i've never heard of it.

except the checkout operator said that she never said that. who to believe? the woman who stands to make 10's of thousands or the checkout operator with nothing to really gain?

Is it a case of 'The customer is always right' and the plaintiff took the case on that basis? Thinking they would be believed over the checkout operator?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Is it a case of 'The customer is always right' and the plaintiff took the case on that basis? Thinking they would be believed over the checkout operator?

perhaps. they were an idiot to take it though. or rather their solicitor was.

I wonder did they get paid as they lost? My attitude to a solicitor would be please advise me, not let's go to court. Mind you the question of legal advice would never have arisen anyway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Indeed. Maybe by way of compensation the judge should have compelled M&S to provide the claimant the use of said bags for the rest of her life. A bag for life maybe.....

I picked up one of those bags 7 years 4 months and 3 days ago. It's in tatters now. Who's that solicitor? M&S sold it to me under false premises (unless I die before we get to court, in which case fair enough)

My recollection of the defamation of character (open to correction) is that it applies if you have been accused of theft without adequate evidence once you have left a store. No evidence of anything like that here.

Beasty wrote: »
    I picked up one of those bags 7 years 4 months and 3 days ago. It's in tatters now. Who's that solicitor? M&S sold it to me under false premises (unless I die before we get to court, in which case fair enough)
    Many of my promised bag for life bags are now at the bottom of a landfill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

They are going to look like idiots in this type of scenario.

Yes. Richer idiots if they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

True and in general I have never came across a checkout operator that cared, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Judge John O'Connor should have said in the Circuit Civil Court that a store checkout operator asking someone if they had paid for a bag did not give rise to a defamation action nor did becoming upset at such a question justify a claim gerrouta dat garden, ya gowl. Go and have a good hard look at yourself.

Insurance is there for a reason. People have to make claims for all number of things as recompense for actual reasons.

Then you get ****wits like this.

• Advertisement

My recollection of the defamation of character (open to correction) is that it applies if you have been accused of theft without adequate evidence once you have left a store. No evidence of anything like that here.

I’m her eyes she assumed it was an accusation, as said that doesn’t apply here. Just a chancer thinking they had a quick buck sorted in time for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I’m her eyes she assumed it was an accusation, as said that doesn’t apply here. Just a chancer thinking they had a quick buck sorted in time for Christmas

And letters from the solicitor within a week?

Either that's a really quick solicitor, or she had that lined up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

People should not get huge payouts over hurt feelings, happy the judge made the correct decision, but in these cases it is the exception and not the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm still laughing at Miley and Miley solicitors, a name you wouldn't see every day atall atall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The checkout operator needs to brush up on their customer service skills yes, did it warrant a civil action no.

That's the claimants version of events. The checkout operator gave a slightly different version. The Judge believed the checkout operators version from what I can see. Well done to that Judge ….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Nope - that is what the person claiming the compo said the checkout person said.

I'd always be suspicious of what someone claiming compo for such rubbish says and take whatever such person says with a pinch of salt.

Costs should have been awarded against her and her solicitors should have been named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭HBC08

While there continues to be no sanction for the plaintiff in cases like this then it will continue.

It's like getting a free ticket to a really scummy lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

wonder if she has any political affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Beasty wrote: »

The greatest scam since the film The Never Ending story :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

daheff wrote: »

Somehow, I kinda suspect this wasn't the case this time. :rolleyes:

Advertisement