Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo Data speed throttling after 80gb of data used

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

lawred2 wrote: »
    Every single media outlet covering the gomo launch knew about and covered the 80GB limit. It's clearly in the terms and conditions.

I fail to see where the BS is.

https://gomo.ie/terms/#c2179de24702e68d5

It couldn't be clearer

The BS is very simple.

Product clearly states A is contained inside.

Buys on good faith, opens the box.

B is inside, reads the T&C's

T&C's confirm B is inside not A.

A was just a hook to get you. - A lie.

There's the BS.

I am saying there is no need for lies.
    Sell is as 80GB data, or do like 3 and don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cencglob wrote: »
    The BS is very simple.

Product clearly states A is contained inside.

Buys on good faith, opens the box.

B is inside, reads the T&C's

T&C's confirm B is inside not A.

A was just a hook to get you. - A lie.

There's the BS.

I am saying there is no need for lies.
    Sell is as 80GB data, or do like 3 and don't lie.

It was sold as 80GB data.

JDxtra wrote: »
    If someone uses 80Gb in a month, then they are not using the service for what it was designed. They are using it as a replacement for a home broadband service.

GoMo have been more than clear on the cap. Fair play to them for enforcing the rules. The cap is already more than generous.

If someone needs a 4G home broadband service with a higher cap, then look at Vodafone Simply Broadband 4G (300Gb cap).

Youtube streams at about 2GB per hour, Netflix 3GB.
    80GB / an average of 2.5GB per hours = 32hrs per 80GB = less than 1 hour of HD streaming per day.

The pitch claiming with this product you can watch Netflix or youtube all day and night is a blatant lie.

Someone should not have to buy Vodafones 4G BB just because they were sold a lie by Eir.

If Eir/Gomo were not making false claims/lies there would be no issue.

It was sold as 80GB data.

It was sold as "With GoMo, you get all data – unlimited downloading and sharing the stuff you love."

This was the hook, the lie.

Do you work for Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

80GB / an average of 2.5GB per hours = 32hrs per 80GB = less than 1 hour of HD streaming per day.

The pitch claiming with this product you can watch Netflix or youtube all day and night is a blatant lie.

Someone should not have to buy Vodafones 4G BB just because they were sold a lie by Eir.

It's obvious that you have absolutely no idea about:
    1. How Youtube/Netflix stream data and the amount of data streamed per hour and it not being a fixed amount or even close to it for the same consumed content.

All carriers have fair usage terms and conditions - if you didnt look into that, thats on you not the carrier - it has been flagged in here plenty times, around the launch date as well.

Just cancel the deal, most to pay to cancel is a tenner, get something that suits your usage profile.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    It's obvious that you have absolutely no idea about:
    1. How Youtube/Netflix stream data and the amount of data streamed per hour and it not being a fixed amount or even close to it for the same consumed content.

All carriers have fair usage terms and conditions - if you didnt look into that, thats on you not the carrier - it has been flagged in here plenty times, around the launch date as well.

Just cancel the deal, most to pay to cancel is a tenner, get something that suits your usage profile.

Its not about me, I know of plenty of people older, and others less tech savvy who will take a blingy fake advertisement on good faith.

Its not my job to go around and clean up the lies Eir's wankaeteers have created.

There are two regulators who should have have already had this kind of outright mass lying under control.

Its not about me, I know of plenty of people older, and others less tech savvy who will take a blingy fake advertisement on good faith.

Its not my job to go around and clean up the lies Eir's wankaeteers have created.

There are two regulators who should have have already had this kind of outright mass lying under control.

And what older "Less Tech Savy" people will be using a GoMo SIM in anything but a smartphone?
    Theres absolutely NO WAY that "less tech savy" people will go anywhere near 80 gig per month........

And again, your estimations of data use are way way way off........

And what older "Less Tech Savy" people will be using a GoMo SIM in anything but a smartphone?
    Theres absolutely NO WAY that "less tech savy" people will go anywhere near 80 gig per month........

And again, your estimations of data use are way way way off........

You do realise don't you that first users of PC's in this country are now in their 70's and 80's and for a number of years many of them have iPhones and iPads.

Excusing your ageist ignorance, Netflix states

"Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. "

and

"Maximum Data - Recommended only if you have an unlimited data plan. This setting will stream at the highest possible quality for your device and the content you are viewing. This may use 1 GB per 20 minutes or more depending on your device and network speeds."

Lets see,

"With GoMo, you get all data – unlimited downloading and sharing the stuff you love."

This is scumbag marketeers relying of certain peoples ignorance.

Call 80GB on the outside, not unlimited. Simple.

If it's truly unlimited, do as 3 do, anything else is false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Can you still use data after 80gb? Yes, so It's not an 80gb limit is it?

Can you still use data after 80gb? Yes, so It's not an 80gb limit is it?

No you can't, technically there is still a 0.2mb connection until 82GB where all data is stitched off, every try opening a modern webpage on a 0.2mbs link?
    It's not useable.

• Advertisement

and all those older less tech savvy folk are blitzing through 80GB are they?

and all those older less tech savvy folk are blitzing through 80GB are they?

If some of them are crippled in bed in with an iPad in a rural area with limited selection of mobile providers, then yes they are.

Nice, attack the old folk, you must be a kind soul, Eir management by any chance?

You do realise don't you that first users of PC's in this country are now in their 70's and 80's and for a number of years many of them have iPhones and iPads.

Excusing your ageist ignorance, Netflix states

"Watching TV shows or movies on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video. "

and

"Maximum Data - Recommended only if you have an unlimited data plan. This setting will stream at the highest possible quality for your device and the content you are viewing. This may use 1 GB per 20 minutes or more depending on your device and network speeds."

Lets see,

"With GoMo, you get all data – unlimited downloading and sharing the stuff you love."

This is scumbag marketeers relying of certain peoples ignorance.

Call 80GB on the outside, not unlimited. Simple.

If it's truly unlimited, do as 3 do, anything else is false advertising.

You are the one associating being "less tech savy" with being older - not me - you are also making the claim that the same older and/or less tech savy people don't know how to read terms and conditions.
    I don't see how less tech savy people, be they old or young will have the ability to tear through 80 gig of data in a month - for what should be very obvious reasons.
    It's generally the more tech savy people old/young who have the issue with 80GB per month.

Just to stop going around in circles here as you don't seem to get it, despite you pointing it out yourself:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can't believe there's people moaning about free calls, texts and 80gb for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

blade1 wrote: »
    Can't believe there's people moaning about free calls, texts and 80gb for a tenner.

ya, back in the day, phone bill was in the hundreds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Netflix and Youtube is the same as the below for phone usage
    Netflix will select a data usage setting that balances data usage with good video quality. Currently this will allow you to watch about 4 hours per GB of data

You would literally need to be watching video 8 hours a day to use up 80GB

It is what it is, first world problems and all that

Anyone else confirm they cut you off after 82GB?

You are the one associating being "less tech savy" with being older - not me - you are also making the claim that the same older and/or less tech savy people don't know how to read terms and conditions.
    I don't see how less tech savy people, be they old or young will have the ability to tear through 80 gig of data in a month - for what should be very obvious reasons.
    It's generally the more tech savy people old/young who have the issue with 80GB per month.

Just to stop going around in circles here as you don't seem to get it, despite you pointing it out yourself:

I said less tech savvy, and older people.

I don't know why you quoted the Netflix statement, may use 3GB per hour.
    Let's see, what device could pull at that rate, an iPad maybe?

There are no circles, just a plain outright lies from Eir and GoMo.
    These hooks, lies, false advertisements, should be corrected to reflect what they actually sell and Eir should be reprimanded for false advertising.

Don't advertise product A when you only deliver product B.
    Deliver A or advertise B only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

GOMo are definitely throttling after 80gb, I was tethering and got throttled, fair enough.

I have an eir Sim PAYG also and before GOMO they didn't throttle after 80gb but now they are as well

Just for reference, some actual real world figures around Netflix on a smartphone:
    https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/253409-how-much-data-netflix-uses-on-your-smartphone.html
    and the amount of data used etc.

A few caveats, the data is 18 months old. It's likely based on previous trends that less data is used today coming down from Netflix in the same environment.

The poster above (cencglob) and others I have seen on here, have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when it comes to data usage.

These hooks, lies, false advertisements, should be corrected to reflect what they actually sell and Eir should be reprimanded for false advertising.

They are using the same advertising schtick nearly every ISP uses - under normal uses you will never run out of data
    If you are an outlier then you are using the service for other than it was intended

If they let everyone keep using full speed internet without any repercussions then the whole service would suffer for the normal users

• Advertisement

I said less tech savvy, and older people.

I don't know why you quoted the Netflix statement, may use 3GB per hour.
    Let's see, what device could pull at that rate, an iPad maybe?

Don't advertise product A when you only deliver product B.
    Deliver A or advertise B only.

Again, you don't know what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Virgin throttle as well. I took the piss one month

If some of them are crippled in bed in with an iPad in a rural area with limited selection of mobile providers, then yes they are.

Nice, attack the old folk, you must be a kind soul, Eir management by any chance?

:D

blade1 wrote: »

please won't someone think of the less savvy bed ridden old people with their iPad wanting to stream netflix every day for a month...

Again, you don't know what you are on about.

I noted Netflix and Youtube,

Here are the figures for Youtube which could be expected on an iPad with 4G coverage.

1080p at 30FPS: 2.03GB per hour
    1080p at 60FPS: 3.04GB per hour
    1440p (2K) at 30FPS: 4.28GB per hour
    1440p (2K) at 60FPS: 6.08GB per hour
    2160p (4K) at 30FPS: 10.58GB per hour
    2160p (4K) at 60FPS: 15.98GB per hour

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-much-data-does-youtube-use/

Selectively removes lower usage resolutions to prove his point... (and out of date data)

I noted Netflix and Youtube,

Here are the figures for Youtube which could be expected on an iPad with 4G coverage.

1080p at 30FPS: 2.03GB per hour
    1080p at 60FPS: 3.04GB per hour
    1440p (2K) at 30FPS: 4.28GB per hour
    1440p (2K) at 60FPS: 6.08GB per hour
    2160p (4K) at 30FPS: 10.58GB per hour
    2160p (4K) at 60FPS: 15.98GB per hour

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-much-data-does-youtube-use/

Yeah, your less tech savy and older people are wathing 4 K youtube content at 60FPS all day......
    Give over.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Selectively removes lower usage resolutions to prove his point... (and out of date data)

Selectivity included link to lower limits.

Pasted rates applicable to solid 4G coverage.

Youtube will bounce to the highest rate it can, in an area of good 4G coverage this will be from 1080/30 upwards.

Eir employee too?

Selectivity included link to lower limits.

Pasted rates applicable to solid 4G coverage.

Youtube will bounce to the highest rate it can, in an area of good 4G coverage this will be from 1080/30 upwards.

Eir employee too?

Go complain to comreg.

• Advertisement

please won't someone think of the less savvy bed ridden old people with their iPad wanting to stream netflix every day for a month...

your mama must be so proud

Advertisement