Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo Data speed throttling after 80gb of data used

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

ibmyself wrote: »
    Regarding Data: My Experience is you will be slowed down when you have used between 50 and 60GB's of data not 80GB as advertised. And by 'slowed down' they mean completely crippled to 25Kb/s at best.

Also they seem to be slowing the sending of the sim so you can't cancel within your cooling off period, it's already passed by the time you get the sim!

The experience of previous posters on this thread seems to be at variance with yours, ie warning at 80% of limit and throttling at 100% of limit to 256 Kb/s or 0.2 Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Lissavane wrote: »
    The experience of previous posters on this thread seems to be at variance with yours, ie warning at 80% of limit and throttling at 100% of limit to 256 Kb/s or 0.2 Mb/s.

Thats been mine so far.
    When does the month begin and end though?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Sorry, off topic.
    I was with Vodafone for two years. 60quid a month for 15gb.. I needed them for their coverage (after switching from three which were terrible). my last bill from Voda, because I went over the15gb (by alot apparently) was 179 euro.. I switched straight to gomo away. Really for 10 euro a month its a great service, the coverage is surprisingly good. I think giving out about getting throttled after 80gb for a tenner is madness. Not too long ago we were all on dial up.😂😂😂

Thats been mine so far.
    When does the month begin and end though?
    AFAIK, it's a calendar month, ie starts on the 1st of the month.

Interesting, I'm now into the 2nd Gig after the 80Gbs based on when they sent me the 80% reminder, if its the calander month thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Mines just been throttled there (which is completely fair I think). They've told me it'll be back on the 8th December, so don't think it's by calendar month.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Mines just been throttled there (which is completely fair I think). They've told me it'll be back on the 8th December, so don't think it's by calendar month.
    That's a pity. I imagined that since billing is by calendar month, data usage would be counted on that basis too. Makes it that bit harder to monitor data usage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’m on three and download entire series through my phone tethering.
    And their limit is 15g a month
    How in gods Name are you doing over 80gig??

I’m on three and download entire series through my phone tethering.
    And their limit is 15g a month
    How in gods Name are you doing over 80gig??

Three's Fair usage us 60Gb and that's not enforced.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    That's a pity. I imagined that since billing is by calendar month, data usage would be counted on that basis too. Makes it that bit harder to monitor data usage.

Yeah, I signed up on the 15/16 Oct, went live on the 16th I think, got the 80% message on the 13th of Nov, then possibly hit my new cycle on the 15/16th again, which is probably why I didn't get throttled.

On another note, I was not impressed by the data speeds when I first got the SIM, was getting 2/3 MB/s, but now I seem to be hitting 35/40 in all my work locations in D1/D2 and at home in D2.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Three's Fair usage us 60Gb and that's not enforced.

Is it that much?

We’re spoiled in this country when it comes to internet.

Go to any US city and they have the worst service and WiFi within premises you can imagine

Well. Some of us. Not the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The 8th of the month is when the money is taken from you credit/debit card. Bill issued on 1st of month & payment taken 7 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Signed up 2-3 days ago, received the sim just last night, and I already received %100 usage message from them.

At only 14Gbs mind you.
    What the actual $hit?

Bunch of boys at the trustpilot complaining about the same thing, being throttled way earlier than 80GB.

Anyone else experience the same issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Signed up 2-3 days ago, received the sim just last night, and I already received %100 usage message from them.

At only 14Gbs mind you.
    What the actual $hit?

Bunch of boys at the trustpilot complaining about the same thing, being throttled way earlier than 80GB.

Anyone else experience the same issue?

Yes, I only had it a week when I received both messages, I was surprised (but not too shocked because I was tethering) and my device said I'd only used 49GB but its not accurate so I wasn't sure. I previously used three so I wasn't too sure how much data I was using. I've just gone back to my three sim.

I'm considering getting another sim because the three coverage in our area is crap, gomo was much better. We're not in a fibre area and our line speeds are not great, normally around 2-3 mbps per second. It was anywhere between 0-10 mbps with three and around 25-30mbps with gomo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

If you reach 80GB in any other way than tethering or streaming onto your television I'd be honestly worried about you. 80 gig is quite an enormous amount of data and we are talking about a small handheld device. Are people actually spending several hours per day looking at some numptie's videos on their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

This throttling was hardly an unknown. They were upfront about it from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

A single 4k Blu-ray can be about 59GB. 80GB is trivial to burn through.

srsly78 wrote: »

not for a mobile device it's not

anyone using a mobile device to download UHD movies deserves to have their data throttled

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Then pay for a service that supports those use cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kippy wrote: »

Yep.. this is why there's fixed line broadband. I understand that quality may vary and if you're out in the middle of nowhere you mightn't get it at all, but a 10 EUR mobile plan is not intended for massive torrenting etc

Same people will complain about congestion on the network though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

But it does officially support tethering? Whereas 3 doesn't.

I don't download stuff with my mobile at all, but this is the only usage of such a high data cap I can think of.

3s network is massively congested because of people abusing it, I bet gomo will end up the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But it does officially support tethering? Whereas 3 doesn't.

I don't download stuff with my mobile at all, but this is the only usage of such a high data cap I can think of.

3s network is massively congested because of people abusing it, I bet gomo will end up the same.

Tethering to me is using it with a laptop or tablet to check emails, play a few mobile games, browse the web etc

Not download 60GB UHD torrent files.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Yes, I only had it a week when I received both messages, I was surprised (but not too shocked because I was tethering) and my device said I'd only used 49GB but its not accurate so I wasn't sure. I previously used three so I wasn't too sure how much data I was using. I've just gone back to my three sim.

I'm considering getting another sim because the three coverage in our area is crap, gomo was much better. We're not in a fibre area and our line speeds are not great, normally around 2-3 mbps per second. It was anywhere between 0-10 mbps with three and around 25-30mbps with gomo.

I also have had this.

Installed SIM on 9th Nov, on 27th used 100% of monthly fair use allowance.

Use the hotspot at home to watch Netflix and check work emails (no downloading) and just checked my usage on and it says 16GB used, which is nowhere near the limit.

Was a bit suspicious of GOMO as they are backed by Eir who me and my family have had many issues with before but the 10 euro a month deal was too hard to resist.

Contacted them so will see what they say.

I also have had this.

Installed SIM on 9th Nov, on 27th used 100% of monthly fair use allowance.

Use the hotspot at home to watch Netflix and check work emails (no downloading) and just checked my usage on and it says 16GB used, which is nowhere near the limit.

Was a bit suspicious of GOMO as they are backed by Eir who me and my family have had many issues with before but the 10 euro a month deal was too hard to resist.

Contacted them so will see what they say.
    Where did you get the figure of 16GB from?
    Where did you get notification that you'd used 100% of your monthly limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Where did you get the figure of 16GB from?
    Where did you get notification that you'd used 100% of your monthly limit?

You get a notification message directly from Gomo of your usage limit.

You are able to monitor data usage through your smart phone

@Mechatronical They got back to me saying it was an error, and that I would be reimbursed at the end of the month. Will see

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    You get a notification message directly from Gomo of your usage limit.

You are able to monitor data usage through your smart phone

@Mechatronical They got back to me saying it was an error, and that I would be reimbursed at the end of the month. Will see

How did you get this notifcation from GoMo?
    There are people wondering how they can get a notication such as this or keep track of their data usage.

I relaise that you can monitor data usage through your smart phone - was just looking for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

They are following exactly the same setup as eir PAYG

after 80GB the next 2GB is at 0.2mbs and at 82Gb they disconnect the data connection and bump you onto a 2G connection only.

I don't care if its €1 or €40 per month, when claims like "With GoMo, you get all data – unlimited downloading and sharing the stuff you love."

or

"No Limits Data
    Whether you binge on endless series on Netflix, stream music for hours, game or watch YouTube all night, with No Limits Data from eir SIM only there really are no limits!"

It is on its own a clear statement that there is no limit. It is false advertising.
    Having to drill into small print and discover that is a lie, is not just.

There are certain people in society, for example a person house bound and ill who may buy this expecting that they can now watch one movie on Netfilx per day. In fact when Netflix streams at about 3GB per hour onto a large screen iPhone, that person will rudely find out that the claim that eir told them was lie, and that they should have read on to see if eir/go/mo were lying.

If a person goes into an all out can eat restaurant, and has an appetite more than the "average customer" and the management kick them out for eating too much is this okay?
    We have certain expectations based on what we are told, the simple logical answer is to advertise the TRUTH.
    80 GB limit, enough to watch 30mins of netfilx per day and check email.

Enough with the marketing BS.

OP, 3 won't throttle or kill your connection even after 120GB, if you have good reception with them use them before eir or gomo.

Every single media outlet covering the gomo launch knew about and covered the 80GB limit. It's clearly in the terms and conditions.

I fail to see where the BS is.

https://gomo.ie/terms/#c2179de24702e68d5

It couldn't be clearer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If someone uses 80Gb in a month, then they are not using the service for what it was designed. They are using it as a replacement for a home broadband service.

GoMo have been more than clear on the cap. Fair play to them for enforcing the rules. The cap is already more than generous.

If someone needs a 4G home broadband service with a higher cap, then look at Vodafone Simply Broadband 4G (300Gb cap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

JDxtra wrote: »
    If someone uses 80Gb in a month, then they are not using the service for what it was designed. They are using it as a replacement for a home broadband service.

GoMo have been more than clear on the cap. Fair play to them for enforcing the rules. The cap is already more than generous.

If someone needs a 4G home broadband service with a higher cap, then look at Vodafone Simply Broadband 4G (300Gb cap).

Or Three who have a 750 GB cap.

Advertisement