Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Boys engage in some of the greatest horseplay of all time.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

tritium wrote: »
    This is basically a thread being used to bully and shame a gang of boys on holiday, boys who are actually named in the audio recording. Posters have described these boys in such endearing terms as “punchable twats”. They’re associated with a particular school and some or all are likely therefore to be minors and known to readers of te site.

A couple of years back the KPMG girl story broke - a drunk minor making a fool of themselves on a night out. Boards back then took the sensible view that it wasn’t acceptable to bully and shame a minor in those circumstances. A similar logic should apply here. Some people on this site need to take a long hard look at themselves

Fock off Oisin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fock off Oisin!!

They are more likely to be called Oscar, Max, Garvan, and the like nowadays.

I love accents and can pick up accents and pinpoint it to with in a few kilometers, for example, there is a rural north Dublin accent that is different that other north Dublin accents its a small enough geographical area, yet it has a different accent that urban part of north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mariaalice wrote: »
    They are more likely to be called Oscar, Max, Garvan, and the like nowadays...

Don't forget "Hugo", a go-to name for when you want people to think your youngfella is Protestant. That can have a certain snob value in some quarters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fock off Oisin!!

Ah, the great Oisín - 6'7'', seventeen and a half stone of prop-forward with a cement-mixer for a stomach. Only scores pointy-headed moonpigs for his own reasons. Reminds me of my bank-manager. Totes ledgebucket! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Does anybody have a clip of a traveller knuckle fight handy? We need equal opportunity idiocy coverage posted here.

• Advertisement

Does anybody have a clip of a traveller knuckle fight handy? We need equal opportunity idiocy coverage posted here.

Someone needs to dub a traveller call out video with Setanta telling us about some of the greatest horseplay ever.

We are all predigest :pac:

I was very gently put in my place regarding this about two Christmases ago.

Was engaged in chit chat with a teenager with a very pronounced nasal Dublin accent what people would describe as a scobie accent to me this sett up images of not very bright a bit dense, turns out they were doing biomedical science in DCU.

I would say this person knew the reaction their accent gets and gets a laugh out of it.

Its good to be aware of our predigests what ever they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

This is basically a thread being used to bully and shame a gang of boys on holiday, boys who are actually named in the audio recording. Posters have described these boys in such endearing terms as “punchable twats”. They’re associated with a particular school and some or all are likely therefore to be minors and known to readers of te site.

A couple of years back the KPMG girl story broke - a drunk minor making a fool of themselves on a night out. Boards back then took the sensible view that it wasn’t acceptable to bully and shame a minor in those circumstances. A similar logic should apply here. Some people on this site need to take a long hard look at themselves

What about the cork girls that were having a fight a few years ago?
    Because of the viral video, they got in big trouble in school and were called scumbags on boards. That thread was not closed.
    Why do you say not to slag kpmg woman and the rock goys? We all know why.

O and she wasnt a drunk minor, she was a woman, with a lot to say with her big mouth. I believe she was the one doing the bullying.

Why it matters

https://hbr.org/2019/05/the-ethics-of-smart-devices-that-analyze-how-we-speak

Moral values are attributed to accents, in other words, people with a certain accent are seen as having more value that others or are better people that others
    this can lead to people, for example, believing that doctors or teachers with a certain accent are better at their job, while in reality accent has nothing to do with ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    What about the cork girls that were having a fight a few years ago?
    Because of the viral video, they got in big trouble in school and were called scumbags on boards. That thread was not closed.
    Why do you say not to slag kpmg woman and the rock goys? We all know why.

O and she wasnt a drunk minor, she was a woman, with a lot to say with her big mouth. I believe she was the one doing the bullying.

Yes, she was being unpleasant. She was also a minor. As I recall there was a very long thread on just this when it happened, with lots of posters telling boards that the cork girls thread should also have been locked for the same reasons (correctly imho). I wonder how many of those same posters are happily wading in here to shame these boys for doing basically nothing at all?

One of the saddest bits is that the approach taken to this thread actually just supports those who at the time accused boards of just running scared from litigation as opposed to having a genuine concern for the individual and the affect it would have on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Top shaggers *ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Yes, she was being unpleasant. She was also a minor. As I recall there was a very long thread on just this when it happened, with lots of posters telling boards that the cork girls thread should also have been locked for the same reasons (correctly imho). I wonder how many of those same posters are happily wading in here to shame these boys for doing basically nothing at all?

Unpleasant??? She was bullying. And she was a woman. She was over 18.

Are some on boards being unpleasant? But you call that bullying.

And the man doing the talking is slagging virgins on his whatsapp message. He is being unpleasant also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

This thread really needs to start bleeding white and blue again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    This thread really needs to start bleeding white and blue again.....

Sending it.

The tide is turning…

Sending it.

Like, 'Rock chants and all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Closed, pending review

Edit: thread re-opened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    No you are most definitely wrong. I actually quite like culchies, I have slowly come to accept them over time. It is not really a chip on the shoulder type of thing.

But McCreavy was overlooked with the decentralisation plan, very unfortunate for everyone really.

As I said culchies are fine, it is the climbing, settling ones that move up to the big smoke, they are the problem, they are the ones that phucked everything up.

It is all their fault in fairness, their school choices are elementary after that.

You really should not be giving RTE any credit for the accent, you're reaching too far there pal. Giving RTE credit for anything is not advised, they really don't deserve it.

As I said the accent was developed by ambitious young female culchie types, who wanted rich husbands.

Not from Dublin so can't comment on the D4 thing but the biggest snobs I've come across are older women, often from humble beginnings, who married into money and developed Hyacinth Bouquet affectations and attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

jimgoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it snobbery per sé. It is drummed into the heads of such people in such establishments (I went to something like one, for my sins) as soon as they are capable of listening that they are the elite, the crème de la crème, that they cannot fail and that society wants, nay needs, them to succeed. Compare and contrast with the whole modus operandum, the whole atmosphere, of a lot of schools in the, shall we say, lower socio-economic strata, with their various bullock's notions designed make people feel better about failing.

This setup does seem to breed two kinds of political animal, mind you. There's the type that understands that we, the people, are the State and the State we, and if you're not in you're out, and if you don't vote for the right prick, well then the wrong prick will only go and get elected. Then there's the other type, for whom the State is something that exists "up there", in the Cloud presumably, is by of and for other people, and sort of sits there plotting against them and Doing Things(TM) to them.

I'm going to jump on this and say that everybody's snobby in some way:P Sure, even when the USSR tried to social engineer a completly equal society, people still found inequality.

Just human nature I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ark Bar? FFS, why didn't they just go to Magaluf, would have been cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

JohnCleary wrote: »

They're from Blackrock. I don't think money's an option.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

JohnCleary wrote: »

The guy with the phone was in Japan for the rugby World Cup and informed the nation ten of his goys we’re coming over for complete cornage

Work from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Not from Dublin so can't comment on the D4 thing but the biggest snobs I've come across are older women, often from humble beginnings, who married into money and developed Hyacinth Bouquet affectations and attitudes.

For me snobbery is an intrinsic Irish trait Handoggy. It cuts both ways.

How often I have read about people snobbing " D4 types". This is essentially inverse snobbery. It is the same when people from Ballygobollicktown, in some skanky kip in the city, turn around and say that they cannot stand people from south county Dublin. It is a snobbery thing again.

The good folk from Georgian Cork, simply cannot hack the scruffs from out the old Dublin Road. It is everywhere.

If you live in the midlands, the bungalow brigade call everyone else " townies".

Even the travellers call settled people , "country folk".

Snobbery is an Irish thing. It is tribal. Even in the roughest parts of Dublin you get one council estate calling another one , " a bleedin kip ". It is as old as the rivalry between the Liberties and Stoneybatter. It is the same as singing " you're all a load a **** up the front " when you're on the school bus.

The biggest one of all, Free Stater's snobbing the north, it makes me seethe.

It is not about the culchies, although I personally think they have a lot to answer for really:P:P, particularly people from Waterford. Supporting Munster Rugby and really being from Leinster is basically a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Are these people even Irish never mind Dublin, that bleedin accent grates on me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

It should be said that not everyone at schools like Blackrock have accents that are that..erm..strong. Most will have a certain fruitiness but the one in the recording is definitely affected. It's also an accent heavily associated with the sports teams. It's the accent of a jock, not a snob, a distinction people are failing to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The level of "Arseholerie" amongst the pupils of Sarf Dublin private schools would be way above the national avg this poster would opine. ?

The level of "Arseholerie" amongst the pupils of Sarf Dublin private schools would be way above the national avg this poster would opine. ?

and Blackrock has an even higher level of arseholerie than the rest of SoCoDu that extends beyond the lads that go there, the parents are the same (although in fairness, most of the fathers are ex Blackrock themselves)

the place is like a ****ing cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Are these people even Irish never mind Dublin, that bleedin accent grates on me

I hope you don’t think they sound American. These lads sound like the most irish people imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A post that smacks of ignorance and bitterness, a broadside as dirty as the inner lining of your “ballon-seat” trousers, N.

The worst these boys are guilty of is being “reckless”, in that they are swimming while intoxicated.

I’m not sure if it’s that people on here have issues with the fact the guys are having a bit of, mostly, harmless “fun” or if it’s because they’re doing it in an athletic capacity. More jealousy perhaps?

I don’t know what bog hole you crawled out of, N, but I’d suggest you get yourself back down there lest you make yourself look like more of a fool.

Are you up in north county Dublin, yourself? Perhaps one of the spot that reeks of old vegetables, you know, where they grow the sprouts? Might disguise your own fetid “musk”.

You do get a lot of “begrudgery” coming down from there.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

I think you're mixing up South Dublin and London accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

dubrov wrote: »
    I think you're mixing up South Dublin and London accents

In other words, he's never met a stereotype South Dubliner

Advertisement