Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BlazenIce69

Just a heads up for anyone waiting for offer with all stages completed. I got my offer today , I was 679 after interview 3rd stage . So not 100 percent sure that the number matters too much after the initial 3 stages. I'm a 2019 spring applicant. So don't lose hope if you had a high number like I did.
    Best of luck to all who got offer and hopefully the rest waiting won't have too much longer to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Niamhlol

Great to see people being offered, best of luck.

I’m 2019 and waiting on pct test. When would you reckon they will start back?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

Congratulations to all those people who received offers. The fact a government department has re opened to train Garda tells me we are in a great space now. Hopefully the new recruits have an uninterrupted training experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

On a side note, thanks to everyone here for the tips and information over the last year. This thread has been a great help for keeping up to speed. Otherwise I would have known very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ange92oc

Collinsb10 wrote: »
    Do people know if it will still just be the €184 even when in the station?

As far as I've been reading up on it is. The latter part of last year they brought in a expenses wage of €21.80 a day to help a bit as trainees were finding it difficulty, but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Killinator

Ange92oc wrote: »
    As far as I've been reading up on it is. The latter part of last year they brought in a expenses wage of €21.80 a day to help a bit as trainees were finding it difficulty, but that's it.

The €21.80 is a subsistence allowance based on a 12 hour shift but yeah up until attestation, regardless of when that is and regardless of being in a station or the college you'll be on training rate + sub.
    Had a new recruit in our station who is just going back into college for the longer haul after being with us for the bones of 9 months.
    Was on training rate only for the vast majority and only recently on attestation a month ago started getting regular wage.
    It caused a lot of stress for many new recruits with some having to chuck in the towel.

Sorry, don't mean to scaremonger and hopefully they have a better handle on things now because the way her intake was treated was an utter shambles.

I wish nothing but the best for you new folks and who knows maybe we'll be working alongside each other, I was you guys a mere 6 years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ange92oc

Killinator wrote: »
    The €21.80 is a subsistence allowance based on a 12 hour shift but yeah up until attestation, regardless of when that is and regardless of being in a station or the college you'll be on training rate + sub.
    Had a new recruit in our station who is just going back into college for the longer haul after being with us for the bones of 9 months.
    Was on training rate only for the vast majority and only recently on attestation a month ago started getting regular wage.
    It caused a lot of stress for many new recruits with some having to chuck in the towel.

Sorry, don't mean to scaremonger and hopefully they have a better handle on things now because the way her intake was treated was an utter shambles.

I wish nothing but the best for you knew folks and who knows maybe we'll be working alongside each other, I was you guys a mere 6 years ago :)

Thanks so much for the information 😊 it's better to know the reality of it than not so thanks a mill for letting us know that it will be tough and could possibly cause stress for us.

Looking forward to get started though, it's a been a long wait, it's great to see some movement again with it all.

Thank you 😊 maybe we will work along side you. I hope you have enjoyed the 6 years you've been in there 🙂

Ange92oc wrote: »
    Thank you 😊 maybe we will work along side you. I hope you have enjoyed the 6 years you've been in there 🙂

It hasn't always been easy and there have been some very tough days but I wouldn't do anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Marty1476

I wish nothing but the best for you knew folks and who knows maybe we'll be working alongside each other, I was you guys a mere 6 years ago :)

That’s great information, any help or advice from a serving member is brilliant, anything else you can tell us to expect during probation period would be fantastic!

Marty1476 wrote: »
    That’s great information, any help or advice from a serving member is brilliant, anything else you can tell us to expect during probation period would be fantastic!

Well they are running things differently with Covid with new recruits getting a week or 2 in college and then going to a local station. For me it was into college for 9 months and then attestation and 2 year probation.

You will not* be taking on active roles while out in station but more observation, until you go back for attestation and a longer college spell.

*I say this but if offered the opportunity to get stuck in, take it, best training you can get is just getting involved and asking questions from serving members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Envoi

Is that everyone with a PCT and Medical selected for the first batch now? Hopefully they’ll start back soon enough now..

Well they are running things differently with Covid with new recruits getting a week or 2 in college and then going to a local station. For me it was into college for 9 months and then attestation and 2 year probation.

You will not* be taking on active roles while out in station but more observation, until you go back for attestation and a longer college spell.

*I say this but if offered the opportunity to get stuck in, take it, best training you can get is just getting involved and asking questions from serving members

So what is an average trainee wage, €184 plus €21.80 per shift or per week?

So what is an average trainee wage, €184 plus €21.80 per shift or per week?

Aye that's correct.
    No OT entitlement or night shift allowance or Sunday pay

Aye that's correct.

Better get saving lads :eek:

Aye that's correct.

😯

Thanks for the reply, I’m definitely gonna burn the ear off you with more questions 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dreilly92

What Shifts do you do when in the station for the 12 weeks does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

7-7 early x 2
    7-7 nights x 2

12 hours, 4 on 4 off

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CD2020!

Dreilly92 wrote: »
    What Shifts do you do when in the station for the 12 weeks does anyone know?

7am to 7pm 4 days on 4 days off is what it is at the moment. Start a 7am day 1 end at 7am day 4 is what it should be usually. Parade usually 15mins before so 6.45 but dunno do they do that in every station and if trainees do it. But Im open to correction on that.

CD2020! wrote: »
    7am to 7pm 4 days on 4 days off is what it is at the moment. Start a 7am day 1 end at 7am day 4 is what it should be usually. Parade usually 15mins before so 6.45 but dunno do they do that in every station and if trainees do it. But Im open to correction on that.

15 minute parade was removed so units would have less chance of potentially passing Covid to incoming unit on crossover

15 minute parade was removed so units would have less chance of potentially passing Covid to incoming unit on crossover

I heard about the briefings, but assumed Parade largely ended with Templemore.

Was I way off there lol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Parade in a station is where you get told who's doing the car etc.

There's no checking haircuts and trouser creases, if you've a pair of trousers on you atall you're 100%.

Witcher wrote: »
    Parade in a station is where you get told who's doing the car etc.

There's no checking haircuts and trouser creases, if you've a pair of trousers on you atall you're 100%.

hahaha fair enough man, I figured as much, that makes more sense now

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dreilly92

Do you spend most of your time of the 12 weeks in the station or do you be out in and about with the other members

Dreilly92 wrote: »
    Do you spend most of your time of the 12 weeks in the station or do you be out in and about with the other members

That will depend on the station. There is really no benefit to sitting in the station for 12 hours. You won't be able to sign legal documents anyway, maybe take the odd phonecall. Won't be long before you're eyes glaze over.

Being out with the other members is the only way to do it, be that in a patrol car or on the beat

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

I emailed appointments today and got told my application has vetting outstanding. However, I'm from the 2019 campaign. Physical and medical done back in 2019;

If you're application is essentially finished just waiting intake would appointments tell us this and inform us that it's just waiting the final sign off?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

Smallboy wrote: »
    I emailed appointments today and got told my application has vetting outstanding. However, I'm from the 2019 campaign. Physical and medical done back in 2019;

If you're application is essentially finished just waiting intake would appointments tell us this and inform us that it's just waiting the final sign off?

My application is the same. From what I know it’s not complete until every part of the vetting comes back and then it has to be signed off by the commissioners office but I think they will tell you it’s awaiting sign off if that’s the case. I called the other day and he told me there’s a small bit of vetting that still has to come back but didn’t know when that would be. I’m 2018 so very frustrating at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 S84

Is there anyone here who I can chat too regarding wages ?
    Like what is your take home pay weekly in year one and what can you earn with a day or two doing over time ? Plenty of opinions & ideas from people about this but if anyone from previous intakes who has proper knowledge it would be great to hear it from the horses mouth.
    Cheers !

That will depend on the station. There is really no benefit to sitting in the station for 12 hours. You won't be able to sign legal documents anyway, maybe take the odd phonecall. Won't be long before you're eyes glaze over.

Being out with the other members is the only way to do it, be that in a patrol car or on the beat

Do they usually do just one round of offers per intake or would they stagger it over a few different days ?

Do they usually do just one round of offers per intake or would they stagger it over a few different days ?

I can't say for now, but when I was offered, I suppose 7 years ago now, the offers went out for our particular intake over the course of a couple of days and then a few after that for people who turned down or deferred

• Advertisement

S84 wrote: »
    Is there anyone here who I can chat too regarding wages ?
    Like what is your take home pay weekly in year one and what can you earn with a day or two doing over time ? Plenty of opinions & ideas from people about this but if anyone from previous intakes who has proper knowledge it would be great to hear it from the horses mouth.
    Cheers !

Girl on our unit on first proper check following attestation got approx 500 quid after tax. This was with no loans, medical aid, etc...

Advertisement