Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the Serious Fuss Over Weddings?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Irish people spend an obscene amount of money on weddings.

My auntie (mam's sister) married a German man. After their modest civil ceremony, they went to a family-run Gasthaus (like a Hotel) for a meal, "Kaffee und Kuchen" and a few drinks afterwards with the wedding cake.

The whole affair was no different to a large family meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

More and more like the Americans Irish people love to watch pageants as well as participate in them. A wedding is going to be the highlight pageant in the life of the bride and groom:. I'm thinking here about the under 6 page boy and flower girls here.

All of the weddings I have attended in the US have been far less formal and much more simple (and enoyable) than the ones I have attended in Ireland. What you see on TV is far removed from real life for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In summary;

We love a big hoolie with lorry loads of drink, a wedding is perfect in this regard.

We love to blow our own trumpets and put on a big show to display our wealth, whether that be houses, cars, holidays or weddings.

We are innately people pleasers who always try to give others what we think they want, whereas other nations/cultures are more self centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

chrissb8 wrote: »
    You do realise you're on a forum for discussing such things? I mean that's the whole point of this thread. A discussion. On what people think of weddings.

Complaining about people who are merely voicing their opinion (no matter how much you don't like it) is pointless. Wedding bashing as it were is just how people feel about it. Serving the purpose of which the OP intended. To garner opinions on the subject.

And your point would be what, exactly? Where does my post say I complained?? I stated facts as I saw them. Perhaps you ought to read over it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I love going to weddings. As far as I'm concerned a wedding is a celebration of life event for your friends/family members. Also like the catch up with everyone.

Now it probably helps that we only have 1 or 2 a year at this stage so means we can enjoy it. I think some people go to too many weddings. An invite is just that. If you dont know the couple that well or other people going then dont feel like you have to go.

However I cant stand 2nd day events. Its too much expecting people to stay second day or night. I find that very self indulgent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement