Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest One Hit Wonder Song - Live Thread

Options

Comments

R1: Drinking in LA. Glad someone nominated this as it was one of those I thought of after I'd already submitted and was kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner. There She Goes is fine but always felt it was a bit overhyped.

R2: Not a huge fan of either of these but I'll go with 500 Miles. It is a bit overplayed but still occasionally raises a smile, whereas I Just Died... does nothing for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

...one of my choices was actually going to be "walk away" by Cast, founded by a member of The La's

Their first ten singles all made the UK top twenty! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There She Goes, because it's good and because I don't know the other.

500 Miles because it's cracking (but it's not a OHW, but shush).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I just died in your arms tonight gets the win. 500 miles had been done to death and I hate them specky pricks now.

There she goes wins the other one for me because I'm more familiar with it and it's fairly inoffensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

there she goes, dying in your arms tonight.

former is imho vastly better than the other, latter wouldn't drive me crazy if it was played more that twice on repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Their first ten singles all made the UK top twenty! ;)

Knew there was a reason I didn't nominate it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i know very few of these songs haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Match 1 for me is easy. Groove IS in the heart indeed. I loved all the World Clique album and Miss Lady Kier was a joy to watch!!
    (I will admit though that I really like the Cry video)

Match 2 a bit more difficult as I have recently developed a general interest in Talk Talk. But I will go with Joy Division, because it is an old favourite of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Match 1 for me is easy. Groove IS in the heart indeed. I loved all the World Clique album and Miss Lady Kier was a joy to watch!!
    (I will admit though that I really like the Cry video)

Match 2 a bit more difficult as I have recently developed a general interest in Talk Talk. But I will go with Joy Division, because it is an old favourite of mine!

Think you might need to speed read/listen up to match 9 :D

Match 9
    Vote The La's - There She Goes, Just my era

Vote The Proclaimers - 500 miles. Hard decision between classics of my era but 500 miles edges it, more people seem to ask me to turn it up when it starts

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Died In Your Arms Tonight

Because it musta been something she said.

Tough choice though.

No preference in the first battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Think you might need to speed read/listen up to match 9 :D

Match 9
    Vote The La's - There She Goes, Just my era

Vote The Proclaimers - 500 miles. Hard decision between classics of my era but 500 miles edges it, more people seem to ask me to turn it up when it starts

Haha, very true!! I didn't realise we only had a couple of hours for each match, I am at US at the moment and just starting my day.

Match 9: Also voting for the LA's, really great song.
    Match 10: well, Cutting Crew was one of my nominations, so there you go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,856 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

There She Goes , just because I don't know the other song .

Cutting Crew Died In Your Arms , fond memories with that song !

If my counting is right we've reached a winner in each and are awaiting the return of our esteemed leader Kolido

If my counting is right we've reached the wrong winner in each and are awaiting the return of our esteemed leader Kolido

Fyp. :(

Knocking out Olive and Bran Van 3000 but allowing Deep Blue Something through.....you people are savages.

...but allowing Deep Blue Something through.....you people are savages.

But I recall, I think, we both kind of liked it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Match 9. There she goes. The best one hit wonder and deserves to win this thread!

Match 10. 500 miles, great song to march around to while drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Are the Proclaimers not also known for Letter from America? It's certainly my favourite song by them!

- The act must not have had no more than 3 top 20 singles in the UK or US charts (mainstream charts)
    - The act must be primarily known for the song entered

According tk there wiki 500 miles was number 1 in 3 different countries on two occasions , ive never even heard of the other song and what other songs made top 20s then those two again doesnt say on wiki there is another

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Are the Proclaimers not also known for Letter from America? It's certainly my favourite song by them!

- The act must not have had no more than 3 top 20 singles in the UK or US charts (mainstream charts)
    - The act must be primarily known for the song entered

Never heard of it. You're just trying to show off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

When you goooooooo will you send bach a letter from Americaaaaaa

Classic

• Advertisement

Just vote on what's given and stop moaning! OP is doing great work.

While we are all waiting on this to return, why not check out the 80's/90's Nostalgia Tournament I'm running at the moment. Round 1 is just finished but plenty more to go.

Click here to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The La's and Cutting Crew make the cut. The big hitters, The Proclaimers fall at the first hurdle.

Bran Van 3000 - Drinking In LA 3
    Vs
    The La's - There She Goes 6

Cutting Crew - I just Died In Your Arms Tonight 6
    Vs
    The Proclaimers - 500 miles 5

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

R1 Match 11

Crash Test Dummies - Mmmmmmm

Released 1993

Peaked US 4/UK 2

VS

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Released 2006

Peaked US 2/UK 1

R1 Match 12

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama

Released 1974

Peaked US 8/UK 31

VS

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

Released 2000

Peaked US 124/UK 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Match 11
    Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm is an absolute classic and underappreciated masterpiece, so everyone better vote for it!

Match 12
    Teenage Dirtbag was one of my nominations and also one of the greatest songs of all-time, and great fun to sing along to.

#11 Despite it being overplayed I'm gonna go with Crazy as the better song of those two, I do like Mmmmm though and won't mind if that wins out.

#12 Gonna do the opposite here and vote for Teenage Dirtbag, because Sweet Home Alabama is just too damn overplayed (plus it sadly reminds me of the abomination that is Kid Rock)

Crash Test Dummies MMM MMM MMM cos it was in Dumb and Dumber, prob my favourite comedy ever.

Wheatus because I unironically love it despite its terribleness. I think they're worthy of a little bit of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Mmm Mmmm for it's melancholy.

Sweet Home Alabama for it's classic intro.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 11

Abstain, dislike both songs equally

Match 12

Sweet Home Alabama, seeing as it was one of my nominations. That said, Teenage Dirtbag very nearly made it onto my list as well and I'd probably have chosen it over anything else I didn't nominate.

• Advertisement

Crazy - I nominated it so have to, but MmmMmmMmm nearly cracked me!

Teenage Dirtbag - I've got two tickets to Iron Maiden baby! I hate Sweet Home Alabama, the only good thing about it is Kid Rock's homage ;)

Advertisement