Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

liamtech wrote: »
    I agree he did well - but i dont like the format - especially with BJ at the end - as i said i predict he just comes out and jokes and shouts about 'Getting Brexit Done'

and insults and jokes - thats what he does

Looks like an audience that might give johnson hell i think. At least i hope so anyway! See can he bluff and bluster his way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

Looks like an audience that might give johnson hell i think. At least i hope so anyway! See can he bluff and bluster his way out of it.

I hope your right - and i am REALLY hoping thats the case

but My goodness - this is a tour de Sturgeon - if she was running the labour party - this would be over -
    • articulate
    • snappy
    • not dodging
    • hiting the points CLEARLY
    • fantastic

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought Corbyn done really well

Sturgeon should just have answered the man with 'nobody promised a once in a generation referendum'

Is it me or is there a very high scottish representation in the audience? Not sure that's good news for Jo Swinson if the case.

• Advertisement

Sturgeon should just have answered the man with 'nobody promised a once in a generation referendum'

It was a slight misstep - her only one - but yet she actually used it to her advantage by highlighting the faulty nature of locking Scotland into a RADICALLY different UK

Im looking forward to swinson - and hoping that she concentrates on attacking Boris Johnson - obviously she will attack all - but her main enemy is Johnson - not Corbyn - regardless of the lack of a pact (which i have given out stink about for a while, and blamed labour i should say)

But tonight needs, for me, to be about punching Johnson - as much as possible - he was bruised on Monday- lets land some shots now
    Is it me or is there a very high scottish representation in the audience? Not sure that's good news for Jo Swinson if the case.

thats a good point - i agree - but for me if the audience was packed with Maoists or members of Putins party -fine! as long as they primarily attack Johnson

It was a slight misstep - her only one - but yet she actually used it to her advantage by highlighting the faulty nature of locking Scotland into a RADICALLY different UK

Definitely, it would appear to me that the chap in the audience was offering an open goal and she almost missed it but she then done much better than a tap in

Almost feel sorry for Swinson... almost

She is struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Enjoying this format more than the 'tired children fighting in the back of a car' style.

So far, I have nobody to vote for! Of the three so far, I think Corbyn has presented his views best, but unfortunately for my vote, there's not enough for me to agree on.

Almost feel sorry for Swinson... almost

She is struggling

I'll say fair play to her if she gets through it. Bruising encounter so far.

But she talks about not going into a deal with Johnson under any circumstances, that's not what Ed Davey said talking with Andrew Neil on wednesday and Phillip Lee also talked about it in another interview. So their position seems a bit confusing to me to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Excellent format, far better than the crap itv debate. Corbyn his usual, human and decent self. Sturgeon a class above , absolutely wonderful politician, could listen to her for ages. Swinson sinking like a stone, really getting showed up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I didn't get the same feeling about Sturgeon as it appears most here were, I found her to be very 'politician', but think I'm in the minority so I'm sure she won't mind.

Swinson is losing votes here. First time I've seen her speak, I usually follow politics on the radio, and she just seems unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I'll say fair play to her if she gets through it. Bruising encounter so far.

But she talks about not going into a deal with Johnson under any circumstances, that's not what Ed Davey said talking with Andrew Neil on wednesday and Phillip Lee also talked about it in another interview. So their position seems a bit confusing to me to say the least.

I think they would ask for some other Tory as leader. It would satisfy those who left Tories due to Boris. That and maybe another second referendum would the price for the Lib Dems to prop up the tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I didn't get the same feeling about Sturgeon as it appears most here were, I found her to be very 'politician', but think I'm in the minority so I'm sure she won't mind.

Swinson is losing votes here. First time I've seen her speak, I usually follow politics on the radio, and she just seems unprepared.

Sturgeon is still very professional and accomplished sounding

Swinson sounding lightweight and out of her depth

Swinson is doing more for the Labour party here than Corbyn could ever have hoped to achieve. She is sending her voters back over in droves.

Swinson should get her husband to phone and get her off the stage.... terrible performance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Excellent format, far better than the crap itv debate. Corbyn his usual, human and decent self. Sturgeon a class above , absolutely wonderful politician, could listen to her for ages. Swinson sinking like a stone, really getting showed up here.

Swinson is a really poor leader of the Lib Dems. But I suppose that at the time she was elected there was nobody else in that party who would be any better.
    That's the big problem for them, they have no one with any real leadership qualities.
    I can see Chuka Umunna taking over the leadership in the not too distant future.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Swinson is a really poor leader of the Lib Dems. But I suppose that at the time she was elected there was nobody else in that party who would be any better.
    That's the big problem for them, they have no one with any real leadership qualities.
    I can see Chuka Umunna taking over the leadership in the not too distant future.

agreed but not for at least 5 years - way too soon considering 12 months ago he was in the Labour party

This right here though, Swinson tonight - has just unsplit the remain vote in my view - shes gone - wouldnt be surprised if she loses her seat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,389 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

agreed but not for at least 5 years - way too soon considering 12 months ago he was in the Labour party

This right here though, Swinson tonight - has just unsplit the remain vote in my view - shes gone - wouldnt be surprised if she loses her seat

She's a surprisingly poor speaker....no conviction or passion to her

Corbyn had a stormer by comparison

You're probably absolutely right, I think the Lib Dems have missed a golden opportunity here to really gain a strong foothold. Chuka would make and excellent leader, but they obviously couldn't parachute him in as leader and so the danger is in 5 years, after a Tory majority, the Lib Dems have become irrelevant again.

They should have rebranded on the very centre of politics and offered a legitimate alternative.

• Advertisement

Prince Andrew must be watching this and saying to himself that Swinson one is having a worse time than me

If this was a boxing match, Bruce would have stopped this after 10 minutes

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think they would ask for some other Tory as leader. It would satisfy those who left Tories due to Boris. That and maybe another second referendum would the price for the Lib Dems to prop up the tories.

Frankly, though, the idea of the lib dems dictating the leadership of other parties post-election seems ludicrous to me. And the fact that she is obviusly on a completely different page on the issue of doing a deal with Johnson to her deputy leader and another mp seems amateurish until you see her performance here tonight.

Boris is off to a bad start!

I thought Swinson was the remain vote.

Bruce allowed Johnson to waffle and not answer the questions. He completely dodged the Russian report question!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Boris is off to a bad start!

Yes but Bruce not making him answer the questions about Russia and vote leave is dire and that is from someone who is relatively skeptical about those 2 POVS.

Aegir wrote: »
    I thought Swinson was the remain vote.

She is parroting the revoke vote and she is just too inarticulate to get that message out

It doesnt make sense - its not credible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Fiona Bruce was so poor there.

She desperately intervened to take the heat off Johnson by taking multiple questions at a time so the immediacy and effect of the first question about the Russia report was dispelled.

That way Johnson was able to completely avoid the Russia question because over a minute had passed since it was asked, and he just waffled.

You HAVE to pin him on one question.

Why not one question at a time? Three or four at a go just gives him a free pass to answer which ones he fancies and ignore the googlies.

• Advertisement

Bruce allowed Johnson to waffle and not answer the questions. He completely dodged the Russian report question!

Bruce is not very good at this format. She is allowing Johnson to avoid questions by taking several questions at a time. He can then choose to avoid whatever he doesn't want to answer and she lets him get away with it.

Advertisement