Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 Graduates: the rest of your life that happens after the marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

py wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Donadea but I've a good bit of work to do prior to it. Hoping to follow the latter stages of the Hal Higdon 50K program but I've a few test runs to do before starting it to make sure the body is going to be cooperative in getting me to the start line in good shape.

If it's of any comfort, I found running on the surface at Donadea easier than on the roads so you might have a bit of an easier time there. Also it should be less intense overall (though obviously it goes on for a bit longer).
    py wrote: »
    That's all great info. I might give it a go next week and see how I get on... with my leap card close to hand. :D Another question, do you go shortest route or do you occasionally add in additional mileage? It's not something I'd do out of the gate but curious if it can be done down the line.

Me? Add additional milage? Perish the thought :D

I usually go either the 9 mile route (straight up the Swords Road) or the 10 mile route (up the Malahide Road and then over to the Swords Road via Griffith Avenue or Collins Avenue). The 10 mile route is a nicer run, which does matter when you're doing it all the bloody time :) Very occasionally I treat my self to 11 miles by going up the Malahide Road all the way to Malahide and then over to Swords, but that's only if I'm feeling particularly perky.

went and played a 7 a side match last night with a group of friends, could not get over how much my fitness has improved since training for the DCM

it was also a dam fine (enjoyable) alternative workout, just wondering does anyone use an alternative sporting activity as one of their sessions, its going to be a regular slot, could it be substituted for one of the slots on the base phase or is that a stupid question

It only really counts as cross-training so wouldn't be a good replacement for anything on a training plan, other than one of the optional easy days. It is important to enjoy whatever you're doing, so I would encourage you to fit it in. It might be a different story in the hardest few weeks near the end of a long marathon training plan though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Singer wrote: »
    It only really counts as cross-training so wouldn't be a good replacement for anything on a training plan, other than one of the optional easy days. It is important to enjoy whatever you're doing, so I would encourage you to fit it in. It might be a different story in the hardest few weeks near the end of a long marathon training plan though :)

thanks yes that is what I had thought,

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭akenno

Looking forward to getting involved in this from the start unlike the novices thread where I only got there relatively late in the training.

1. Do you have any goals over the next few months? What are they and why?
    Continue the routine of running 3/4 times a week. I also do S&C 2/3 times a week. After completing my first marathon, I want to improve even more next year. I hope to do more races, and aim for PB's across all distances. Currently 5km is 22 minutes, 10km 47 minutes, Half 1.47, Marathon 4.00.09.

I'm looking at the Mullingar Half (March) and Kildare Half (June). A couple of 5k's and 10k's thrown in as well. I need to sit down and properly plan these out.

2. What would you like to get out of this thread?
    Hope to continue to learn and see how I am progressing from within a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DolG

went and played a 7 a side match last night with a group of friends, could not get over how much my fitness has improved since training for the DCM

it was also a dam fine (enjoyable) alternative workout, just wondering does anyone use an alternative sporting activity as one of their sessions, its going to be a regular slot, could it be substituted for one of the slots on the base phase or is that a stupid question
    I do yoga, strong class once a week1.25hrs, doing an easier one atm. Maintains flexibility, core and overall strength. Also salsa class 1.5hrs:p, haven’t gone back yet. Was sea dipping, yet to return, mostly for feel good. Have been advised to do at least 8 weeks strength and conditioning. Got a fright when I looked at the post marathon plan, 7 days with two optional runs. I tend to do 4 days max so not sure what to do now.

• Advertisement

DolG wrote: »
    I do yoga, strong class once a week1.25hrs, doing an easier one atm. Maintains flexibility, core and overall strength. Also salsa class 1.5hrs:p, haven’t gone back yet. Was sea dipping, yet to return, mostly for feel good. Have been advised to do at least 8 weeks strength and conditioning. Got a fright when I looked at the post marathon plan, 7 days with two optional runs. I tend to do 4 days max so not sure what to do now.

glad i wasnt the only one who looked at it and went (the wife aint going to like this) but when I actually calculated the threshold and went back to the table the runs are not that long and its not as bad as it seems, I will have to drop run of the optional runs due to well life i suppose

i also need to look at yoga as the physio told me it would help with my hip and knee

can i ask, when i plugged in my last half marathon time into the running calculator its telling me i need to slow my normal training run (short ones) times down by nearly two minutes a mile, is the slower pace designed to build endurance or what is the thinking

can i ask, when i plugged in my last half marathon time into the running calculator its telling me i need to slow my normal training run (short ones) times down by nearly two minutes a mile, is the slower pace designed to build endurance or what is the thinking

What's your HM pace, and what do you do your easy runs at?

What's your HM pace, and what do you do your easy runs at?

last HM in Achill last July was 1:43

generally the short runs are at 8 min 30 sec pace

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

Hi Singer,

Congratulations on your new role! I look forward to chatting and getting some amazing advice from you and the rest of the grads! The novices thread this year was amazing and the mentors were superb.

I signed up for DCM19 with no real goal in mind. I can't say I was a huge runner, I lift weights minimum 5 nights a week and I love a run with friends over the weekend. As we ramped up to DCM, I was running 4 times a week. I really miss the running, but I want to get stronger again, as i'm currently as weak as a kitten.

My target for DCM was 4:20 an I came in at 4:10. I definitely have more to give, so we'll see how we get on at DCM20. Next year I also have a few triathlons planned and some swims. It will be interesting to see how I manage everything!

I'm doing Run the Line, a 5km MoRun and the Clonakilty half. All will be very casual.
    In the short term I would like to work on 5km/10km and speed. I'd like to get faster.

I want to be accountable and keep on running with like-minded people! Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Congrats on the new role - my 2019 DCM went very well...was my first year to train with Sub-3 hour in mind, and made it....just about! Got 2.59. Was delighted with it and definitely think there is more in there to dig out too.

In terms of goals for the coming months - not too much. I'll keep tiping along 2 times a week maybe averaging ~ 10-15 miles per week and then once January hits, I'll get back into rac plan mode...am doing London 2020 so will really stick the head down for that. Not sure what the course is like compared to Dublin, but will no doubt be looking over it with a fine tooth comb over Christmas and into 2020

• Advertisement

Congrats on the new role - my 2019 DCM went very well...was my first year to train with Sub-3 hour in mind, and made it....just about! Got 2.59. Was delighted with it and definitely think there is more in there to dig out too.

In terms of goals for the coming months - not too much. I'll keep tiping along 2 times a week maybe averaging ~ 10-15 miles per week and then once January hits, I'll get back into rac plan mode...am doing London 2020 so will really stick the head down for that. Not sure what the course is like compared to Dublin, but will no doubt be looking over it with a fine tooth comb over Christmas and into 2020

well done firstly on a super time and secondly on getting into London, one I would love to compete in after living there for 10 years

last HM in Achill last July was 1:43

generally the short runs are at 8 min 30 sec pace

Yeh, that's too fast, even allowing for a tough HM course. My easy runs are usually around 8:50 - 9:00 pace or so. Try running one at 9:15 pace and see how it feels!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

I'm going to give the base plan a go starting Monday but will be moving the days around to suit family and work. I was mostly doing 6 runs a week for DCM although prior to June I ran 4 times a week. Hoping I can manage 5 a week without divorce! If I do speed intervals on the track once a week I guess i substitute that session for the strides or a similar session on the plan? Gonna print it off tonight and figure it out. Looking forward to getting stuck in to another plan.

Ultimately i want to be a better runner. I want to understand it more, the different training sessions etc. I also want to see what my limit is, i want to see how hard i can push myself in a race & finish a race feeling like i actually couldn't have given any more if i tried! Getting some PB's in there would also be nice :D
    I am loving running for now & found something i actually am naturally good at but am not afraid of hard work so given both i would like to see what improvements i can make. I aim to follow the plan but it will be tweaked a bit by SB to accommodate a few races & try out a few different things to follow on from DCM.

It sounds like you've really been bitten by the running bug :pac: Follow plan and target races that suit you. It's nice to have a common plan that other people are doing that you can share experiences with etc., but the most important thing is that you are doing what motivates, challenges and inspires you. I'm not advising you to go straight to 100 mile weeks right away (maybe in a few years?), but as long as you're listening to your body, following structured training and enjoying things you can't go wrong. I mostly ignored the plan on my own DCM graduates thread, as I had a good idea of what I was capable of and was going after (I didn't actually do what I wanted to do, but that's another story :) ). We're here to help and support each other rather than hold each other back.

As i am a solo runner for all my training the knowledge & encouragement i got from the novice thread has been invaluable! I would like to continue learning & asking for advice when needed;)

So far i have booked a few races(OH not allowed near the bank statements for at least a month)
    Jingle bells 5k
    Raheny 5mile
    DCM 2020

I am also looking at either Bohermeen or Mullingar half as my target race. I really feel i have unfinished business at this distance & felt i never really grasped the race the way i would have liked to on the day.

Looking forward to any tips & advice given & progressing on from a Novice :D

That's a pretty great set of races :)

eabha19 wrote: »
    I'm going to give the base plan a go starting Monday but will be moving the days around to suit family and work. I was mostly doing 6 runs a week for DCM although prior to June I ran 4 times a week. Hoping I can manage 5 a week without divorce! If I do speed intervals on the track once a week I guess i substitute that session for the strides or a similar session on the plan? Gonna print it off tonight and figure it out. Looking forward to getting stuck in to another plan.

Speed intervals on the track are definitely a good thing to do and can fit into almost any plan. What sort of sessions will you be running?

The whole "running without getting divorced" is a topic close to my own heart, and something I'll come back to a number of times over the next few weeks.

A lot of the time, running is the easy part. Fitting it in around life is the hard part! I won't have any simple answers for how to do this, but it can be challenging to fit in running ambitions around family, work and social life. There will be times when you have to prioritise one over another. If you really do have long-term ambitions around running, then at times you'll have to prioritise running over other stuff, and then you'll need to be honest and explicit about this so that it doesn't cause problems in other areas of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

It sounds like you've really been bitten by the running bug :pac: Follow plan and target races that suit you. It's nice to have a common plan that other people are doing that you can share experiences with etc., but the most important thing is that you are doing what motivates, challenges and inspires you. I'm not advising you to go straight to 100 mile weeks right away (maybe in a few years?), but as long as you're listening to your body, following structured training and enjoying things you can't go wrong. I mostly ignored the plan on my own DCM graduates thread, as I had a good idea of what I was capable of and was going after (I didn't actually do what I wanted to do, but that's another story :) ). We're here to help and support each other rather than hold each other back.

That's a pretty great set of races :)

Thanks a mill for the reply :) Yes i can honestly say i feel motivated, challenged & inspired to see what i can achieve! Looking forward to getting stuck into another plan & seeing what comes from that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Whats the average km use that we should retire our runners at? Im currently trying to justify buying a new pair!

kulekat wrote: »
    Whats the average km use that we should retire our runners at? Im currently trying to justify buying a new pair!

Around 500km, but it depends. It's good to have a few pairs on the go and rotate them on your runs, using the older pairs for easy and recovery runs, that prolongs the life of them and makes sure that you're doing the hardest running on the best shoes. I throw them out (or relegate them to the shed for use when gardening... not that that happens much :) ) when they feel like they have no bounce, feel uneven due to wear and tear or my feet/legs feel bad after running on them. Having a few pairs of runners on the go is rumoured to be good for injury prevention too.

This is a decent article on the topic:
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/when-to-retire-a-running-shoe/

So, buy the runners, but don't throw out the other pair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Back to reality after a little break away. No running but plenty of walking. Goals are to get my 5k-10k times back to where they were 5 years ago and a bit better if possible.

Run in the Dark on Wednesday will be the first ‘race’ back. I’ll be running it easy but will be interesting to see how the body feels and might aim to quicken it up for the last couple of km.

Jingle Bells will be a tester to really see where things are at and set a benchmark for the months ahead. I’ll follow the base building plan and then most likely the 10k to Half plan with the aim of peaking for the Great Ireland Run. After that I’ll probably do the Race Series, no marathon.

This forum is a mine of info. It’ll help keep me accountable and learning

Around 500km, but it depends. It's good to have a few pairs on the go and rotate them on your runs, using the older pairs for easy and recovery runs, that prolongs the life of them and makes sure that you're doing the hardest running on the best shoes. I throw them out (or relegate them to the shed for use when gardening... not that that happens much :) ) when they feel like they have no bounce, feel uneven due to wear and tear or my feet/legs feel bad after running on them. Having a few pairs of runners on the go is rumoured to be good for injury prevention too.

This is a decent article on the topic:
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/when-to-retire-a-running-shoe/

So, buy the runners, but don't throw out the other pair :)

Great advice! Good thinking to keep my marathon ones for easy runs too, i had never thought about that. Ive two pairs that i rotated since the summer, so a few miles in them yet, then they will be demoted to Easy.

I was thinking of getting the Hoka One One's as my next pair, pricey but shur we are all worth expensive shoes as marathon grads ;)

Well once my bruises and black toes go back to normal that is...if it ever will happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Speed intervals on the track are definitely a good thing to do and can fit into almost any plan. What sort of sessions will you be running?

The whole "running without getting divorced" is a topic close to my own heart, and something I'll come back to a number of times over the next few weeks.

A lot of the time, running is the easy part. Fitting it in around life is the hard part! I won't have any simple answers for how to do this, but it can be challenging to fit in running ambitions around family, work and social life. There will be times when you have to prioritise one over another. If you really do have long-term ambitions around running, then at times you'll have to prioritise running over other stuff, and then you'll need to be honest and explicit about this so that it doesn't cause problems in other areas of your life.
    I usually go to two club sessions a week. Monday nights are usually tempo or hills although we're taking it 'easy' this week and last by doing fartlek sessions as a post marathon treat! Wednesday night is speed intervals - could be 400s, 800s, 600s or a mix of all three - it will change week to week. Not sure that I'm terribly ambitious about running - not really envisaging any sub 3 hour marathons in my future. I do however want to beat myself, to see if I can improve my times overall. My secondary goal is to run enough so that I don't have to be on a diet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Time to get back to it and going to start the base plan tomorrow and have a couple of, dare i say it, novice questions please;:o

Progression runs
    I googled progression runs (never had to do one on the boards novice plan!) and I think I get the basic idea. Wondering what paces to do though ie where to start and how many increments? Start very easy, move to easy and so on up to MP??

Determining pace from calculator
    As I mentioned previously I'm not the most experienced at races, just did the race series and marathon so far. My marathon is obviously my most recent race but I fell off a bit of a cliff in the last 4 miles so not sure if that's the best race to pick to determine my training paces? My half marathon to me seems a bit more representative- ok to use that or is the whole point to use the most recent even if it wasn't best performance.

Any guidance gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Ok! We're all here now, so what's next?

Well, hopefully some running :) By now most of you will have gotten out and done a few miles on those very legs that were brutalised and worn out two weeks ago. Is it ok to have done near to nothing? Totally! Many plans prescribe zero miles for a week or two or three after the marathon, so that your body has recovered before you're considering anything else.

The best marathoner ever, Eliud Kipchoge, does a few recovery runs after a marathon and then takes a few weeks off: https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9522100

The main thing is that YOU are ready for whatever YOU want to do next. Maybe you feel ok doing a parkrun a week or two after the marathon. That's ok! However the main thing is that you feel recovered after the marathon and ready to tackle whatever's next. For most of you, this was your first marathon, so a lengthy recovery after a race might be a new thing. Do err on the side of recovery if you need to - any ongoing niggles, or tiredness should be addressed before plunging into a training plan.

Speaking of a new training plan, many of you may be ready to take on something new. The good news is that after a marathon cycle you've likely got a load of fitness ready to be used. You're probably as fit as you've ever been in your life. Now we just gotta build on it :)

The plan is pretty easy this week. It's ok if you want to do something else, or catch up next week. The main thing is to get back into a consistent routine.

So I said that I'd do a bit of Q&A as well as setting a weekly "challenge" as part of the thread. The good part is that you can entirely ignore this stuff and run whenever you want :) I just want folks logging their running, asking their questions and giving their insights. But anyway, here goes:

Q. What’s the worst run you’ve ever done?

Challenge of the week: Find somebody who supported you on your marathon journey and do something nice for them.

Sorbet wrote: »
    TProgression runs
    I googled progression runs (never had to do one on the boards novice plan!) and I think I get the basic idea. Wondering what paces to do though ie where to start and how many increments? Start very easy, move to easy and so on up to MP??

Yep, that's the plan! I wouldn't worry too much about the precise paces, as long as the effort increases throughout. Ideally you hit MP, maybe HMP :)
    Sorbet wrote: »
    Determining pace from calculator
    As I mentioned previously I'm not the most experienced at races, just did the race series and marathon so far. My marathon is obviously my most recent race but I fell off a bit of a cliff in the last 4 miles so not sure if that's the best race to pick to determine my training paces? My half marathon to me seems a bit more representative- ok to use that or is the whole point to use the most recent even if it wasn't best performance.

Any guidance gratefully appreciated. Thanks

I think it'd be harsh to include a classic marathon slowdown for figuring out your race pace across multiple distances. The marathon is an exceptional beat. HM pace sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

The one that stands out the most is a run i did the Wednesday before the Frank Duffy 10mile! It was a really tough day in work & was having an extremely challenging time at home, in particular with my son! I set off after a little row & it started to rain as i ran down the main road, now i have ran plenty of times in the rain & its not something that ever bothers me! But this day i had just had enough:eek: I honestly felt like stopping(i know i defo cried), I 100% questioned why the hell i was running a marathon, why do all this training with other crap going on?? I also really couldn't see myself racing that Saturday! Luckily I continued on & did what was set out for me. I got home & had a serious think. I decided not to give up & in fact realized how much i actually needed my running :D I went out that Saturday & raced my very 1st 10miler in quite a respectable time ;)

Challenge of the week: Find somebody who supported you on your marathon journey and do something nice for them.

Already treated my OH and have ice skating booked for the kids as a huge thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Misjudged the placement of a kerb crossing road on a dawn run, which resulted in me having one of those slow motion falls and cutting open both my knees. Looked around thinking no one had saw it, but of course there was the neigbour asking if i wanted help.

Worst run?

An 'easy' 8km months ago, had a constant stitch from about 2km to finish. It was awful, would not let up, but i would not let it beat me. It was a battle of the mind, but i got through it. I was never so happy to get back home!!

Great idea to get OH something, have already done this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

I have had a few runs over the years where I’ve tripped over my own gigantic feet in front of an audience but the stand out worst run/most embarrassing would’ve been nearly 20 years ago when I did so running along the Tidal Basin in Washington DC in front of a troop/formation of Marines out training who felt compelled to come to my assistance. And then having to walk 30 minutes home with bloody knees as this was in the days before mobile phones/FreeNow apps at 6am or so with no taxis in sight 🀪😳

Great idea to treat the family... will get on that this week 😊

Is anyone’s immune system shot? I feel like I pick up every cold/flu going around lately. For this week, planning to run every other day following mileage in the HH recovery plan. Also a few combat classes thrown in and maybe a body pump.

Stay warm out there kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Worst run?

16 mile LSR in the mountains of Benahavis outside Estepona in Spain as part of DCM 2019 training. Was determined to get my runs in while in holiday but was in the middle of nowhere with no paths. Scouted out a lovely scenic walk along a gorge going into the town of Benahavis but stupidly didn't realise that it was like running up and down a cliff. Toughed it out though but was never as happy finishing a run.

Got the family presents and gave them over on the morning of the marathon- couldn't have gotten there without their support. Good reminder to do something nice for them again this week though - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Late to this, but thanks Singer for accepting this role :) You'll be great, and already adding some fun questions in there I see :)

Advertisement