Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    This change has seemed to have happened recently. Last time I checked dccae I was light blue colour:

From the government release last week
    37,000 premises originally identified as being served by commercial operators (the “Blue” premises), have not materialised and will therefore be included in the intervention area and the map has also been updated for approximately an additional 2,000 premises identified in the latest Ordinance Survey Ireland data

https://dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/Government-sign-the-National-Broadband-Plan-Contract.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭BobMc

Same has happened our address, funny thing is some houses in the estate are amber some Blue, eg. 9 in our cul de sac blue, 2 amber, I'm guessing some kind of mapping error, I'm bit suprised, thought Eir would see our estate as prime target, 2 fibre cabinets near by and cluster semi rural with about 150 houses, guessing the fact its underground ducting perhaps rather than pole connections put them off potentially?

Image of the general area

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

BobMc wrote: »
    Same has happened our address, funny thing is some houses in the estate are amber some Blue, eg. 9 in our cul de sac blue, 2 amber, I'm guessing some kind of mapping error, I'm bit suprised, thought Eir would see our estate as prime target, 2 fibre cabinets near by and cluster semi rural with about 150 houses, guessing the fact its underground ducting perhaps rather than pole connections put them off potentially?

Maybe Eir will still get to you (and me). I presume there is nothing stopping Eir deploying out where they see a economic benefit, even if that area is down to be covered by NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Similar to mine. The road is still light blue but the properties are now dotted amber along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That is different. Those premises were never part of the 300k agreement with eir. They are in the NBP likely because of cabling issues meaning that they cannot receive at least 30Mb/s.

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Similar to mine. The road is still light blue but the properties are now dotted amber along the route.

Your only hope is that the DCCAE have decided to bring all premises in the 300k not yet completed by eir into the NBP and that eir intend to complete them. However the fact that eir are now building in urban areas may mean that they will just give up on them.

Spot on were on 18mb down, cabinets about 1km from estate, so figured it was cabling complication, as a side

my dad got his FTTH installed last friday, poping down tonight to see it working, lucky duck !! tis wasted on my heading for 70yr old folks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Spot on were on 18mb down, cabinets about 1km from estate, so figured it was cabling complication, as a side

my dad got his FTTH installed last friday, poping down tonight to see it working, lucky duck !! tis wasted on my heading for 70yr old folks

Yahoo Bingo will be flying bai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Noticed this morning that some codes have been painted near us, 9C on a underground cover & L10C on a pole with some cable tied up on it. Do they mean anything?
    KN ran cable through ducting along the road way back, but nothing happened since.

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    Noticed this morning that some codes have been painted near us, 9C on a underground cover & L10C on a pole with some cable tied up on it. Do they mean anything?
    KN ran cable through ducting along the road way back, but nothing happened since.

It sounds like the fibre cable is being run. The L on the pole is generally an indication for the workers to leave a loop of cable so that a distribution point can be fitted to the pole.

It sounds like the fibre cable is being run. The L on the pole is generally an indication for the workers to leave a loop of cable so that a distribution point can be fitted to the pole.

Thanks for the explanation Navi. They're just marking work done so. There's already a loop on the pole as the fibre was done months ago. I just thought the 9C & 10C might have some other significance.

Thanks for the explanation Navi. They're just marking work done so. There's already a loop on the pole as the fibre was done months ago. I just thought the 9C & 10C might have some other significance.

No. The loop on the cable could be ducting that they will run cable through. If you get a close picture or can see the markings on the duct I'd be able to tell you but that is the most likely scenario.

No. The loop on the cable could be ducting that they will run cable through. If you get a close picture or can see the markings on the duct I'd be able to tell you but that is the most likely scenario.

You're correct. The pole is alongside an underground chamber with the loop coming out of it & attached to the pole. Hopefully they'll move it along shortly. There has been alot of Openeir activity at the exchange so might be prep work.

You're correct. The pole is alongside an underground chamber with the loop coming out of it & attached to the pole. Hopefully they'll move it along shortly. There has been alot of Openeir activity at the exchange so might be prep work.

If they've recently done the markings it sounds like the cabling crew will be coming soon.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

If they've recently done the markings it sounds like the cabling crew will be coming soon.

That's hopefully good news. The markings weren't there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi Martin, I have finally got an 'availability' date - 25/12/19. Can I order now or do I need to wait until after this date?

Sorry if this noob question was asked before!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Hi Martin, I have finally got an 'availability' date - 25/12/19. Can I order now or do I need to wait until after this date?

Sorry if this noob question was asked before!

We will take orders, once there is a date, and will get the installation booked in due time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,862 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

FTTH install tomorrow for me, fingers crossed.

Quick question, would satellite cables (coax cable) interfere with the fibre connection?

I'm hoping the engineer will follow an existing hole in my house created for satellite tv cables

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

Quick question, would satellite cables (coax cable) interfere with the fibre connection?

I'm hoping the engineer will follow an existing hole in my house created for satellite tv cables

No, it would have no effect on the fibre.

exciting times.

If the dish is on a chimney/roof etc a lot of them won't follow it..

limnam wrote: »
    exciting times.

If the dish is on a chimney/roof etc a lot of them won't follow it..

Dish is on the side of the house so no problem there

It's in an ideal area and really hope they can run the cable there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ok....have been waiting since august for open eir to do duct work. Date given was nov 21st. Now that has been pushed out to February 2020. Beyond frustrated!

Despite the ducting appearing to run right outside my house!!!!!!

I'm up and going :)

It didn't go according to plan at all. They couldn't run the cable to where I wanted as it's to straight and ducting wouldn't work either

The only solution was to bring the cable across a small bit of a field which I had to ring the owners to get permission and they wanted to talk to the KN guy as they wanted to make sure it's high enough just incase any tractors tear it down

Any reliable place where I can do speed tests? Speedtest.net is all over the shop. some servers 500 down, others 900 down

(im on 1GB connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Best of luck to everyone waiting on installs.

I've finally switched everything over from my Wicklow Broadband PTP connection to the FTTH. Ended up having to bin the ISP router (well chucking it in an drawer) as I couldn't change the routing table on it (and support couldn't help me). Ended up getting a simple replacement that does the job well enough for now.

NSAman wrote: »
    Ok....have been waiting since august for open eir to do duct work. Date given was nov 21st. Now that has been pushed out to February 2020. Beyond frustrated!

Despite the ducting appearing to run right outside my house!!!!!!

Don't read too much into the reason - it's blanket term they use for any work that needs doing. I was given the 14th December for resolution and it was fixed a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully you'll be sorted earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It didn't go according to plan at all. They couldn't run the cable to where I wanted as it's to straight and ducting wouldn't work either

The only solution was to bring the cable across a small bit of a field which I had to ring the owners to get permission and they wanted to talk to the KN guy as they wanted to make sure it's high enough just incase any tractors tear it down

Any reliable place where I can do speed tests? Speedtest.net is all over the shop. some servers 500 down, others 900 down

(im on 1GB connection)

Great that your finally up and running after a lifetime of poor internet. This will be a life changer for you. A 1gig connection will never reach it's full speed for various reasons. The most you can expect from a speedtest using a modern and well capable network card wired to the modem is about 940 and that's only if the speedtest server supports such speeds. I'm on a 300 meg plan and the only places it gets used fully is blizzard app, steam and speedtests. Not a hope of achieving the max speeds on a playstation network.

(im on 1GB connection)

A lot of them I find can't give 900+

Blacknight is usually fairly stable all the time.

Delighted for you.

You've been waiting awhile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

limnam wrote: »
    A lot of them I find can't give 900+

Blacknight is usually fairly stable all the time.

That's because a lot of them only have 1 Gbit/s interfaces.

Only ones known for certain to have 10 Gbit/s or more are Blacknight in Carlow and Airwire in Galway.

Fast.com and the google speedtest are even worse.

/M

Advertisement