Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

A great post by Tim in the other thread which touched on Nio! It’s up a bit in pre-market. I bought more yesterday and I’ve brought down my BEP further. It would be good to see it close above 46 today. I would also like it to see it above 52/3 by the end of March & kick on a bit from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A great post by Tim in the other thread which touched on Nio! It’s up a bit in pre-market. I bought more yesterday and I’ve brought down my BEP further. It would be good to see it close above 46 today. I would also like it to see it above 52/3 by the end of March & kick on a bit from there.

Hi. Do you have the link to that thread please?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi. Do you have the link to that thread please?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

It's in the Share Picks 2021 thread, 2nd last page.

I've doubled down on NIO, picking up more shares last week in the dip. Still showing negative yesterday overall, but I'm in for the long haul. I think their forecast and outlook over the next couple of years could make this a good investment. It could of course all collapse in a steaming pile, but that's the gamble with shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

.... I'm in for the long haul. I think their forecast and outlook over the next couple of years could make this a good investment. It could of course all collapse in a steaming pile, but that's the gamble with shares.

In fairness, isn't that the same with every share though, to a greater or lesser extent?

Like you, I'm in for the long term. While I haven't bought more shares, I'm tempted now....

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 semcleary

this thread didn't age too well it seems!

semcleary wrote: »

From 2$ to 40$ in a year, and much more importantly NIO has proved itself as a very capable car manufacturer with very high standard innovative cars and the ability to rapidly scale up production. For me this thread helped convince me to get in 1st at 3$ (which I'll admit I cashed out on), but then in again at 5.90, of which them shares I don't think I'll ever sell, so this thread has aged fantastically well, and I hope its only the early part of the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

semcleary wrote: »

A useless comment best swept under the carpet.
    Money has been made here on the way up, it'll probably consolidate now for a while, consensus is it could drop below $40 to even $35 but it should find a floor, after that it's a longer game that could yield as another 5X from here but it will not happen over night and there will be many milestones on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Timmaay wrote: »
    From 2$ to 40$ in a year, and much more importantly NIO has proved itself as a very capable car manufacturer with very high standard innovative cars and the ability to rapidly scale up production. For me this thread helped convince me to get in 1st at 3$ (which I'll admit I cashed out on), but then in again at 5.90, of which them shares I don't think I'll ever sell, so this thread has aged fantastically well, and I hope its only the early part of the journey.

How do you think the major car companies now going fully electric (ie Jaguar by 2025) will impact Nio. They have the entire infrastructure in place to support vehicles, their challenge is going fully from internal combustion to electric. Their iPace EV was world car of the year in 2019.

Nio have production vehicle with limited volumes (no brand awareness) with none of the support infrastructure in place.

Tesla has been producing cars now for 13 years with little competition so they had first mover advantage. Nio doesn't.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    How do you think the major car companies now going fully electric (ie Jaguar by 2025) will impact Nio. They have the entire infrastructure in place to support vehicles, their challenge is going fully from internal combustion to electric. Their iPace EV was world car of the year in 2019.

Nio have production vehicle with limited volumes (no brand awareness) with none of the support infrastructure in place.

Tesla has been producing cars now for 13 years with little competition so they had first mover advantage. Nio doesn't.

Chinese market, simple enough.

• Advertisement

Chinese market, simple enough.

Ok so the existing Chinese car manufacturers along with Western brands that manufacture there already (VW, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Honda, Ford, etc, etc, etc) are not going to sell the EV vehicles developed for Europe & US in China.

I think you are onto a winner there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Currently at $38 while posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

NIO's big advantage is it has Government help in China soo it almost a guaranteed success there.

In the rest of the world its in for a battle. But who knows who's going to come out on top when the electric revolution really takes off in 2 or 3 years time... even NIO.

Watching current SP drop eagerly waiting for an entry point.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Ok so the existing Chinese car manufacturers along with Western brands that manufacture there already (VW, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Honda, Ford, etc, etc, etc) are not going to sell the EV vehicles developed for Europe & US in China.

I think you are onto a winner there!

I think what the poster is saying is that there is huge demand for EV in China.

Also China is the largest electric vehicle market in the world and its only going to get bigger.

Another issue with the traditional manufacturers are many of them are only starting there EV journey now. Toyota are still trying to flog the hydrogen fuel cell concept. The others bar VW and Hyundai are well behind tesla and the likes of Nio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

**** it, throwing a grand at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 semcleary

Yeah when I first clicked this thread I somehow only seen page 1 and thought that was it !
    I currently have 170 shares and I bought the dip at 45 it is now at 38 so I'm going to DD again just need to find out when is best haha !
    I keep buying the dip but it keeps dipping !

Another issue with the traditional manufacturers are many of them are only starting there EV journey now. Toyota are still trying to flog the hydrogen fuel cell concept. The others bar VW and Hyundai are well behind tesla and the likes of Nio

I do not necessarily agree but lets looks at Tesla as the leader in this area. I think that still do not fully understand the car market. This year over 100K cars had to be recalled - why failing touchscreens. The reason for this -

Tesla told regulators that the recalled touchscreens in nearly 135,000 Model S and Model X electric cars were only expected to last five to six years—much less than the average lifespan of cars on United States roads today.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131184_tesla-recalled-touchscreens-were-meant-to-only-last-5-6-years

It will be interesting to see how these new Tesla's are perceived in 5 years time after they have done high (>100K) mileage.

My point about the other manufacturers is valid wrt EVs. Many of them have no technology of there own, bar VW, hyundai/Kai all the rest of them have to buy everything from other manufacturers. Tech such as fast charging systems, drive motors, battery cell tech, AI and autonomous driving capabilities.

So yes Nio has gotten ahead of itself price wise but it is still a better investment than the likes of ford or PSA group

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

Nio shares still dropping like a stone, now at €28 straight, what a fall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

$34.12 (-13.14%)

545925.gif

$34.12 (-13.14%)

545925.gif

This is an amazing buying opportunity

Appears to be a trend across the market at the moment - not just NIO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Ixlandia

PCros wrote: »
    Appears to be a trend across the market at the moment - not just NIO.

Without a doubt, just look at the share picks thread, we are being killed today - painful, but a great time to buy

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful ;)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Yeah, everything is down today, whatever is going on. Tesla has dropped massively in the last few days. A lot of tech stocks are down in the last two days, as I've a good holding across those. Not even sure what particular madness is going on right now. It's been something to do with Covid and US stimulus packages the last 12 months but I'm not aware of something specific today.

Thinking of investing? Now is the time to cash in!

There's also been a bit of a shift in thinking, with recent increases in returns on the bond markets, and some investors moving to either some bond investments, or selling their growth shares and buying value shares instead.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I also think there's been a lot of panic selling, probably by novice investors who were led to believe that share prices only go one way etc.

While its a shame to have seen Nio's price drop so much, it was probably too high at 60ish, given its still a relatively early stage business, making losses etc. Now that some of the novice speculators who read about Nio on Reddit etc have run for cover, we'll probably see NIO go back to normal growth, as the company progresses with its business plan. Its always been a medium term play for me, so I'm perfectly happy with that.

What's most important to note, is that nothing radical has gone wrong at Nio. While there has reference to some delay with provision of semiconductors and batteries, this isn't unique to Nio. The company is still making and selling more cars than it did this time last year, and plans to grow further are progressing, with plenty of cash to fund that growth.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Hopefully no one panic sold here over the last week! I was buying more the last week. I thought every time I was buying at a great price but it dipped further every time I bought .... I did bring down my BEP so I’m happy enough!

Below $40 again

• Advertisement

Below $40 again

Probably because of this -

China's biggest carmaker Geely is launching a premium electric car brand it hopes will take on Tesla.
    The Chinese company, which owns Volvo and Lotus, announced its Zeekr brand on Tuesday to tap into China's demand for electric vehicles (EVs).

Geely said it would develop and manufacture high-end EVs under the Zeekr brand and expected to begin deliveries in the third quarter of 2021.
    It already has exposure to premium electric cars through the brands it owns. Polestar, owned by Volvo Cars, develops electric performance cars. It is headquartered in Sweden with vehicle production taking place in China.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56493572

Advertisement