Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

You detest what Disney “has turned into” and test you visit and post on a thread about Disney streaming service.

I believe your intent is just to argue.

I wouldn't say argue, I would say healthy debate about Disney and their streaming service is a huge personification of one side of the debate so surely it's valid to be discussed in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Every six months or so someone pops into this thread to say that Disney is finished now and they only consume selected Disney films through DVDs (this time with the added wrinkle of second hand DVDs)

It’s hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Dodge wrote: »
    Every six months or so someone pops into this thread to say that Disney is finished now and they only consume selected Disney films through DVDs (this time with the added wrinkle of second hand DVDs)

It’s hilarious

What I don't understand is phrases like "I don't care about Disney anymore" they're a company you're supposed to pick and choose which content you're interested in not support the business like it's a football team

It’s hilarious

Would have thought it is a reasonable opinion (as is opinions such as yours that it's a laughable way to help choose which media to consume or not to consume)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The reality is, we're all hypocrites in some way shape or form. Modern life is such that we are almost always inextricably entangled with a Big Tech "necessity", whose practises can leave a lot to be desired. Be it Disney+, the Huawei phone I'm using to type this post, or maybe the Amazon Web servers used across half the internet. I don't like using a Chinese phone but that's where I drew the line for me. That's simply how life works right now. Castigating folk for their own personal red line is itself something of a hypocrisy in many ways. Dig far enough and you'll find something.

• Advertisement

Would have thought it is a reasonable opinion (as is opinions such as yours that it's a laughable way to help choose which media to consume or not to consume)

You can do what you like Americanisms. Entirely your choice.

The funny part to me is when people believe they're owed something by Disney or any other mega corporation.

Watch what you like, however you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I got your point, and I even agree with it as I usually have the same reaction when people groan with each sequel /reboot announcement. I'm not quite sure why I had that reaction to the Willow news to be honest.

I thought the manner in which you made your point was a little OTT so I decided to respond with the common "pissing in cornflakes" idiom.

It then reminded me of when Kellogs sold cornflakes in the 80s with Willow figurines inside so I went off on a tangent.

I also think the above post is pretty condescending so am happy to move on from this.

My post is not condescending.

You don’t like that type of moaning whinge-baggery and yet you automatically fell into yourself...

I wouldn't say argue, I would say healthy debate about Disney and their streaming service is a huge personification of one side of the debate so surely it's valid to be discussed in this thread

So you are a Disney+ subscriber?

So you are a Disney+ subscriber?

Obviously not (don't know if you're being sarcastic, sorry :)), but if you're implying people can't post in this thread if their not subscribed (or at least, not considering a subscription) to Disney+, I don't understand that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Obviously not (don't know if you're being sarcastic, sorry :)), but if you're implying people can't post in this thread if their not subscribed (or at least, not considering a subscription) to Disney+, I don't understand that at all

It's not that they can't but I don't know why anyone would post in a thread dedicated a subscription service they're not subscribed to ... Unless it's to stir **** and derail the thread with some anti-corporate rant :pac:

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's not that they can't but I don't know why anyone would post in a thread dedicated a subscription service they're not subscribed to ... Unless it's to stir **** and derail the thread with some anti-corporate rant :pac:

Well, I can assure everyone that is not the case and I'm sorry this thread is getting somewhat derailed.

I genuinely just wanted to have an interesting debate with differing viewpoints, not go on a rant or white knight myself, I swear

I’m not being sarcastic nor am I implying anything.

It is a reasonable question - how can you properly discuss the topic of any streaming service unless you have tried it.

My question also meant if you had use the free trial but perhaps I should have made that more clear.

Where did I say that you can’t post in the thread? A bit melodramatic, aren’t you?

Well, I can assure everyone that is not the case and I'm sorry this thread is getting somewhat derailed.

I genuinely just wanted to have an interesting debate with differing viewpoints, not go on a rant or white knight myself, I swear

Well if you genuinely wanted a discussion you shouldn’t have started with a rant because it lead to this very uninteresting exchange.

As to your view that Disney is more money hungry - I don’t see any difference in what it is like now as opposed to the last 50 or so years of merchandising, etc., other than they have more resources and more opportunities to reach the consumer.

The desire to turn a profit is still the same.

No movie studio is a charity and they are not in it just for the art. If I was a studio executive I would hope that I would turn out some good movies but I’d be a money grabbing knob too.

What do you care how much money they earn? It isn’t going into your pocket and, according to yourself it isn’t coming from your pocket either. As someone said earlier just take from them what you like and disregard the rest.

Disney+ has lots of good stuff to watch, lots I want to try and lots of drivel (serious wasting of Kristen Bell going on there). Sequels. Remakes. Etc.

Plenty to discuss there - don’t understand why the Disney bank account matters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Genuinely one of the greatest tv shows ever made

Late to the GF party but this is masterful.

Up there with Spongebob for me.

The future is in the past. Onwards Onishiwa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

This may be asked before apologies in advance, but where is 4k gone on Disney plus? Can't get it on any of my devices :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

If you have gamepass ultimate on Xbox you get a month trial of D+
    Buy vbucks on fortnite and get 2 free months.
    New subs only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

This may be asked before apologies in advance, but where is 4k gone on Disney plus? Can't get it on any of my devices :-(

4K Ultra HD : Dolby Vision showing up on Disney+ on my LG

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

ShaneOC wrote: »
    4K Ultra HD : Dolby Vision showing up on Disney+ on my LG

Same.. What are you streaming Disney + on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Same.. What are you streaming Disney + on?

A 2018 philips android tv and on an Nvidia Shield 2017 model

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Disney+18 coming 2021 (allegedly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

OU812 wrote: »
    Disney+18 coming 2021 (allegedly)

It's the new international star streaming service previously mentioned a few months ago that is to be launched in 2021
    This will be mirroring the Disney+ strategy and using all of their own library content to launch a brand new platform, with similar technology

It will cover the following
    The new streaming service will launch in 2021 and will consist of the following brands:

ABC
    FX
    Freeform
    Searchlight
    20th Century Studios

20th Century Studios is the new brand name for Fox films

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

It’s not likely to be a separate app, but will be contained within Disney+ in the same way Marvel is

Video looks pretty fake to me. Some inconsistencies in how they use the names etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Video looks pretty fake to me. Some inconsistencies in how they use the names etc
    And I'd be surprised if Disney used a presentation where every second slide's text was the same as the previous but with just a slight increase in font size. And that's before how plain the slides are. Seems unprofessional for such a large corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

That video is confirmed to be fake further down in the Reddit thread. The new Disney streaming service will be called Disney + Star
    https://insidethemagic.net/2020/11/disney-plus-star-mature-content-rwb1/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's really just Hulu international as they don't think the Hulu name is well known outside North America so they are going with Star+ which they use in India and other parts of Asia.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

One other explanation which I’ve heard (and buy) is that the reason for the different brand is that Comcast still own one-third of Hulu. So if Hulu expanded internationally, Comcast would get one-third of the dividends, whereas with a different brand Disney can fully own the service and reap the rewards (if any).

Not sure if I would have went with Star though, given it already exists and has a long association with programming from India but it may be that they just needed a brand they owned fully and could use without modification in any market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Taylor Swift just announced that this is being released tonight at midnight (PST) and I'm a little giddy with excitement.

Well played Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Watching Noelle(2019).I'm over half way in and its a fun Christmas story.Giving me Elf vibes.

It stars Anna Kendrick as Noelle Kringle who has to find her brother Nick played by Bill Hader who is due to become Santa and take over the family business but who has gone missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Does anyone know if Disney will work on a Now TV stick without a Now TV active sub? I'm assuming yes, but want to check.

Advertisement