Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

At least it is a sequel series. I hate prequel series/movies as you ultimately know how it will end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone having problems with the app on the firestick with the interface hanging for a few seconds as your trying to scroll or go in and out of things? Really annoying for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with the app on the firestick with the interface hanging for a few seconds as your trying to scroll or go in and out of things? Really annoying for me at the moment.
    I have a few issues. But not same as that.
    If I pause when playing the image freezes but the audio keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oscar Isaac in Talks to Play Marvel's #MoonKnight for Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Really don't care about Disney after the business corporation they've become in the last 10 years or so, just being obsessed with churning out needless sequels and live-action adaptations instead of trying to be original anymore (although they did have some level of being a money-hungry business as far back as the 90's)

So I just buy any stuff I hear good things about secondhand on DVD to stop lining their pockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ok now Disney is incredibly lazy, because that movie was both average and it wasn't a huge box-office success

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Ok now Disney is incredibly lazy, because that movie was both average and it wasn't a huge box-office success

I think the film was originally supposed to be nothing more than a made for tv movie sort of thing that got bumped up to theatrical (maybe when Midler signed on). It might be average in most respects, but it's become a bit of a cult classic and definitely an annual Halloween favourite. I'm surprised Disney took this long to make a sequel. They usually churn out sequels at an alarming rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Oh, it's the annual talk of a Hocus Pocus sequel?
    You can even see in that article's related links go back a few years at least with the sequel talk.
    Find it funny that Bette Midler is saying "Of course" when it's been reported for a while that she's the one not willing to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

It’s further on than you would think - Bette Midler put up a social media post over the last few days of all three of them in character and apparently shooting scenes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is that not for that Sanderson Sisters thing she's doing on Friday?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't doubt Disney will raid every back inch of their catalogue to make reboots and sequels for easy nostalgia bait. As already said, Hocus Pocus is a bit of a cult classic so I imagine Disney saw this as a more "viral" ready production.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Unnecessary but unsurprising....

Unnecessary? As opposed to every other TV show, movie, book, stage play, painting, video game, music, etc.

Really don't care about Disney after the business corporation they've become in the last 10 years or so, just being obsessed with churning out needless sequels and live-action adaptations instead of trying to be original anymore (although they did have some level of being a money-hungry business as far back as the 90's)

So I just buy any stuff I hear good things about secondhand on DVD to stop lining their pockets

Disney have been a money hungry business for decades just like every other studio and sequels and remakes are not new to the last 10 years

Your a real hero. Keep up the good work.

Disney are awful but you still can’t keep your hands off their stuff.

At least it is a sequel series. I hate prequel series/movies as you ultimately know how it will end up.

How can you think there could be a prequel?

I don’t think Disney would see potential in a fantasy series about agriculture

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

(although they did have some level of being a money-hungry business as far back as the 90's)

A money hungry business? Say it ain't so.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Oscar Isaac in Talks to Play Marvel's #MoonKnight for Disney+

A couple weeks ago wasn’t this guy united in brotherly love with Boyega whinging about Disney being racist?

This twat is one of the reason the Sequel trilogy was muck - yet made out like it was beneath him (Wouldn’t go near Star Wars again unless he needed to build a house)? Apparently that doesn’t apply to Disney itself.

lertsnim wrote: »
    A money hungry business? Say it ain't so.

Did you not know that all those Hollywood executives are in it for the love of the art?

Oh my yes, but not that fiendish Disney... they will take your soul too... mawhawhawhaw !!!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

How can you think there could be a prequel?

I don’t think Disney would see potential in a fantasy series about agriculture

Because a bunch of what is churned out these days is prequels. Better Call Saul was a prequel to Breaking Bad. There is that prequel Batman show, about his butler Alfred when he was young. 101 Dalmatians is getting a prequel about how Curella turned evil. Game of Thrones, while it was popular anyway, had a whole bunch of prequel shows lined up at one point (I think one of the is still going ahead).
    The prequel to Willow could have been how the Queen turned evil or how Kilmer's character ended up in the cage at the start. Thankfully it won't be.

In response to some of the points, Disney have really become exceptionally more money-hungry in the last 10 years or so than at any previous point in their history and their now outdoing most other major corporations in that regard, where it was not as noticeable before.

Obviously any business has to have a certain mindset of making money to a certain degree, just Disney let that mindset go completely out of control imo

I also don't see an issue with having an ideological problem with a business yet still consuming some of their higher quality products, especially if most or all of those higher quality products were produced before that ideological difference really began to be hammered home.

• Advertisement

Because a bunch of what is churned out these days is prequels. Better Call Saul was a prequel to Breaking Bad. There is that prequel Batman show, about his butler Alfred when he was young. 101 Dalmatians is getting a prequel about how Curella turned evil. Game of Thrones, while it was popular anyway, had a whole bunch of prequel shows lined up at one point (I think one of the is still going ahead).
    The prequel to Willow could have been how the Queen turned evil or how Kilmer's character ended up in the cage at the start. Thankfully it won't be.

Breaking Bad, Batman, 101 Dalmatians and Game of Thrones are all high profile properties with an large fan base. They also used established popular characters or have a massive world already built in.

Willow is small not very well known film with little in the way of world building. No popular established characters.

Therefore a prequel makes no sense.

A sequel makes sense because Warwick Davies has built up a healthy fan base in the Star Wars fan community and if you’ve seen him in front of them you know he can get them to tune in. Val Kilmer is about to return to public attention with an appearance in the new Top Gun movie. Whalley and Pollack are great in everything. And Willow was created by George Lucas - it will draw both his fans and people with an interest in seeing will Disney makes as much of a bags of this as they did Star Wars.

They won’t because Abrams is not involved.

Anybody signing up put together this series Is doing do from an interest in the potential or genuine love of the original film - not because they want to whack themselves to Willow’s plough like happened in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon.

I just hope they keep the light hearted nature of it and make it. The book series that was written as a sequel was depressing as hell - Madmartigan, Sorcsha and every Nelwyn was murdered in the opening chapter.

Balls to that.

In response to some of the points, Disney have really become exceptionally more money-hungry in the last 10 years or so than at any previous point in their history and their now outdoing most other major corporations in that regard, where it was not as noticeable before.

Obviously any business has to have a certain mindset of making money to a certain degree, just Disney let that mindset go completely out of control imo

I also don't see an issue with having an ideological problem with a business yet still consuming some of their higher quality products, especially if most or all of those higher quality products were produced before that ideological difference really began to be hammered home.

I never said you were not allowed to complain but Disney are in the business of making money - the merchandise from films and the Disney Stores are around a long time and it is no different sequels, prequels or whatever.

However, your ideology falls apart when you consume their products - regardless of who gets the money.

I never said you were not allowed to complain but Disney are in the business of making money - the merchandise from films and the Disney Stores are around a long time and it is no different sequels, prequels or whatever.

However, your ideology falls apart when you consume their products - regardless of who gets the money.

I don't agree with that ideology bit, as I don't see how watching say a Disney movie from the 70's, can equate to being ok with Disney's business ethics in the 10's.

Now if I was to watch say The Lion King (2019), then I would be a complete hypocrite as you say, even if I bought it secondhand on Amazon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given how many IPs Disney now actually own, it's very hard to maintain some kind of corporate purity test in the face of any distaste for their business practises. I'm a long time fan of the Alien franchise but should I burn and dispose of my Blu-ray collection 'cos it's a Mouse House property now? None of this can be considered "essential" services as it were but straddling an ethical line is hard in the face of monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Unnecessary? As opposed to every other TV show, movie, book, stage play, painting, video game, music, etc.
    Apologies for pissing in your polystyrene Willow figurine promotional cornflakes.

Disney and Kellogs were some feckers for luring in impressionable kids back in the day.

I don't agree with that ideology bit, as I don't see how watching say a Disney movie from the 70's, can equate to being ok with Disney's business ethics in the 10's.

Now if I was to watch say The Lion King (2019), then I would be a complete hypocrite as you say, even if I bought it secondhand on Amazon.

You said

You never specified a decade or said there was a period excluded from this.

Your comment is “any stuff” meaning any stuff. You are now trying to take that back because you are being a hypocrite.

How many Disney movies from the 1970s are in your library?

Also DVDs? How about you give a **** about the environment? Try that for an ideology?

I don't really want to post on this thread and argue anymore about a very broad issue but as pixelburp said, the line between sticking to your values and wanting to enjoy a piece of media owned by a questionable company is very hard to straddle and I guess I am somewhat of a hypocrite if I don't go cold turkey on Disney (5 star movies and all, 1920's-present)

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Apologies for pissing in your polystyrene Willow figurine promotional cornflakes.

Disney and Kellogs were some feckers for luring in impressionable kids back in the day.

What are you waffling about now?

Clearly you don’t understand my post so I will explain.

You’re “unnecessary” remark is nothing original - been spouted to death on movie forums. It is a dumb comment. Nothing in the arts or entertainment is necessary.

I don't really want to post on this thread and argue anymore about a very broad issue but as pixelburp said, the line between sticking to your values and wanting to enjoy a piece of media owned by a questionable company is very hard to straddle and I guess I am somewhat of a hypocrite if I don't go cold turkey on Disney (5 star movies and all, 1920's-present)

You detest what Disney “has turned into” and test you visit and post on a thread about Disney streaming service.

I believe your intent is just to argue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What are you waffling about now?

Clearly you don’t understand my post so I will explain.

You’re “unnecessary” remark is nothing original - been spouted to death on movie forums. It is a dumb comment. Nothing in the arts or entertainment is necessary.
    I got your point, and I even agree with it as I usually have the same reaction when people groan with each sequel /reboot announcement. I'm not quite sure why I had that reaction to the Willow news to be honest.

I thought the manner in which you made your point was a little OTT so I decided to respond with the common "pissing in cornflakes" idiom.

It then reminded me of when Kellogs sold cornflakes in the 80s with Willow figurines inside so I went off on a tangent.

I also think the above post is pretty condescending so am happy to move on from this.

Advertisement