Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Disney+ isn't blockbuster cinema though, so it isn't immediately beholden to the "Four quadrants" demographics that ultimately shape the mediocrity of modern popular cinema. Not to mention the structural reality that this is serial TV, not a 2 hour excuse to eat popcorn. The same approach won't cut it - The Mandolorian was a good opening salvo on that front. For all its flaws it has been significantly different tonally and narratively from the films. Equally, with the MCU that franchise's stable is wire enough with a staggering number of characters that a variation in tone or approach is not just easier - but kinda warranted.

Mind you, that's all assuming what we've seen wasn't just from the pilot - and the rest of the series will be cookie cutter MCU fare.

If it doesn't get the audience Disney and Marvel will just not go there again and stick with action/adventure.

I don't watch trailers as they ruin everything but hasn't Feige and others involved said the show is bonkers throughout? And that it ties into the next Doctor Strange.

The Mandolrians only flaws are not enough aliens and the silly tracking fobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The concept of 'getting the audience' has changed a little in this age of subscription streaming services. If Wandavision proves not to be a mainstream success but at the same time results in an increase in subscriptions due to it's off beat nature then Dinsey may be happy enough.

The Mandalorian is a perfect example of where they can do experiment a little more on the small screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The concept of 'getting the audience' has changed a little in this age of subscription streaming services. If Wandavision proves not to be a mainstream success but at the same time results in an increase in subscriptions due to it's off beat nature then Dinsey may be happy enough.

The Mandalorian is a perfect example of where they can do experiment a little more on the small screen.

By finding the audience I did also mean a boost in subscription, even if temporary.

And enough of a boost Disney will ask Marvel for more off beat stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What Disney+ offers Marvel is a chance to stretch their creative legs but I don't expect this to be the case with all releases: I daresay WandaVision will be the most "out there" we'll see, while the Falcon/Winter Soldier will likely maintain the boilerplate MCU styling (leaning towards Captain America's more ... uh, "grounded"(?!) approach.) As to She-Hulk or Ms. Marvel lords knows. I wanna speculate the former will be Ally McBeal ...with superpowers, while Ms. Marvel being "generic American teen story" ...with superpowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to clarify my earlier point, there’s obviously a difference between stuff made for Disney plus and films made for cinema release. The cinema stuff is aimed at everybody. I say it all the time but the merchandise and parks related stuff needs a huge audience

• Advertisement

Onward (latest Pixar) will be available to stream from October 2nd. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Onward (latest Pixar) will be available to stream from October 2nd. :)

This is a superb movie and can’t wait to watch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

As the Disney Channels have closed down their services here on Thursday.

Sky are to remove all of the Disney content from the kids section of Sky On Demand from 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Does anyone know when mulan is going to be on the... regular disney+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

November I believe

Onward arrived today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CaoinDory wrote: »
    Does anyone know when mulan is going to be on the... regular disney+?

December 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

December 4th

Brilliant thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As the Disney Channels have closed down their services here on Thursday.

Sky are to remove all of the Disney content from the kids section of Sky On Demand from 6am.

Yes Disney channels gone from kids section on Sky but Sky Disney in movies still there

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pixar's Soul gets Christmas premiere on Disney+ (no cinema release)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Shiiiiiiiiiit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Wow. Is it pay per view like Mulan? Or straight to the main library?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

nialldinho wrote: »
    Wow. Is it pay per view like Mulan? Or straight to the main library?

Free to watch

Free to watch

That’s great. I’ve just seen it on the Disney social media feeds. No mention on the Disney plus UK ones yet though. Hopefully we will be getting it too

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

nialldinho wrote: »
    That’s great. I’ve just seen it on the Disney social media feeds. No mention on the Disney plus UK ones yet though. Hopefully we will be getting it too

It took months for Onward to move to Disney+ here though, compared to the States. Wouldn't bank on us getting Soul at the same time, but would be a nice little Christmas present if we did!

It took months for Onward to move to Disney+ here though, compared to the States. Wouldn't bank on us getting Soul at the same time, but would be a nice little Christmas present if we did!

Yeah that would be my worry!

• Advertisement

The UK Disney+ Twiiter account is saying it'll be available here so no need to worry. I find it's the best way of getting confirmation on what's US only news.

https://twitter.com/DisneyPlusUK/status/1314484311173853185

What fantastic news!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not a marketing spiel at all. It's simple business.

They're substituting going to the cinema with streaming at home.

Your comparison with sports is not valid. Large sports events make money from attendance and TV whereas big films make most of their money from cinema tickets.

The film cost US$200m to make and you can add on marketing costs as well so you must see that it has to make the money back.

I don't understand your gripes at all to be honest.
    kerplun k wrote:
    I don’t see how anyone can begrudge a person or organisation from making money from goods/service that they provide. Especially something like this thats had so many hard working people pour countless amount of hours into it.
    paulboland wrote:
    Disney need to make revenue back from the film they would not be in a position at the moment to make a profit from just having a cinema release
    Its been shown in cinemas in countries open for screenings that don't have disney+ service.

Its no different to what universal and some other film studios did with a few of their new films releases

Universal charged €19.99 for 48 hour access for their films
    If you want to watch those films after 48 hours you had to pay again each time

The difference is disney price of €21.99 has no playback restrictions you can watch as many times as you want.

There is lots of films from various film studios been launched early to video on demand rental that normally would have been cinema release only before home media and digital purchase was released.
    murpho999 wrote:
    Also just because Mulan and the other live action remakes (which I think is fair to say that the majority of them have been poor) does not mean that i do not understand that having spent €200m on a film's production that they need to make money back.
    Just because I don't like the genre does not mean that I can't understand why they follow this path with it. I also don't expect the world to revolve around my taste.
    It's not the actual film that's at question here but the new delivery of it.I am not championing it as you say but understanding it and I think it makes perfect business sense.

So now we have confirmation that Pixar's Soul will be heading to Disney+ and without any premium charge.

They could have done the exact same thing with Mulan instead of going for the cynical cash grab which many here were content to endorse. Nice to see the majority of the audience had more sense.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

So now we have confirmation that Pixar's Soul will be heading to Disney+ and without any premium charge.

They could have done the exact same thing with Mulan instead of going for the cynical cash grab which many here were content to endorse. Nice to see the majority of the audience had more sense.

There's a difference between endorsing Disney's decision and understanding why they made it, Disney want to make money, that's their business. Mulan was a guinea pig and we still don't know that it failed. Soul is just as much of a guinea pig. They're going to see which makes more money, premium charges or a new release in the hope of driving up subscriptions. I wouldn't write Mulan off as a failure, they're still not making it available for all subscribers until Dec 4.

I think from what I understood of the Mulan release is that the Disney higher ups were completely winging it rather than it being this well thought out strategy. Not sure if they are equally grasping at straws with this move or if there's a little more thought behind it.

Regardless, it does seem like a pretty radical move.

I think from what I understood of the Mulan release is that the Disney higher ups were completely winging it rather than it being this well thought out strategy. Not sure if they are equally grasping at straws with this move or if there's a little more thought behind it.

Regardless, it does seem like a pretty radical move.

I think everyone is winging it to some degree though, the situation is unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first two episodes of The Right Stuff were added today.

Hi all

Maybe this is an old issue, but was there a solution to disney plus being out of sync, I had the same issue with netflix and prime and was able to disable surround and opt for stereo and it worked. However I dont see this option on disney, wrecking my head having to pause to allow the video to catch up

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

Tatiana Maslany is not playing She-Hulk it seems.

Interview in a Canadian newspaper - says she has no idea how the story come about because “it wasn’t a thing” (seeming to mean she was never in talks).

I was sure I had seen a Marvel press release that has some words from her in it.

Apparently Ruffalo congratulated her on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

• Advertisement

Unnecessary but unsurprising....

Advertisement