Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

He was full of himself and full of sh*t in my opinion,
    made a career out of talking down to people
    did you say that about Jimmy saville too ?
    The truth is the truth

In my opinion does not mean the truth.

The Jimmy Saville connection is just strange. Don't want to derail this thread.

The man as well as the Late Late show did an incredible job of talking about certain topics that were never discussed before transforming modern society.

An Irish legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

In my opinion does not mean the truth.

The Jimmy Saville connection is just strange. Don't want to derail this thread.

The man as well as the Late Late show did an incredible job of talking about certain topics that were never discussed before transforming modern society.

An Irish legend.

How naive, it was for ratings, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Unprofessional on occasion if he disliked the person being interviewed or indeed if he liked them too much.

On the contrary, his shunning of Gerry Adams like a rabid dog remains one of the highest points in LLS history!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Met him once, gang of us were waiting outside the Gresham in '88, in our sleeveless denim jackets and skags, for Metallica and out he came. Stopped and chatted with us all, asking who we were waiting for, autographing a few of our tickets. A genuine gent if ever there was one and of course a fantastic broadcaster.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Probably the most shameful character assassination of a chatshow guest Ive ever witnessed, Gaybo buddies with Casey of course.

He was full of himself and full of sh*t in my opinion,
    made a career out of talking down to people

Absolute ****e talk - The Annie Murphy will be held up as the worst. That was more down to the audience members contributing. But if that was a negative - just off the top of my head
    - the lovely paternal way he dealt with Sinead O Connor on the Late late show a few years ago after his retirement.
    - The brilliance with how he recovered live on air with the lady who's daughter had just died
    - The topics he tackled head on
    - He was a brilliant moderator - My favourite exchange :
    "Gays" were being discussed and someone made a comment about "men who are besotted with other mens back passages" to which Gaybo said "I suppose to reposte to that is what about me who are besotted with womens front passages?.."
    - So many brilliant interviews and conversations

What a legend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

A consummate broadcaster equally brilliant on TV and Radio. Could handle serious and light material with equal aplomb. Ireland grew up as a society partially thanks to the Late Late Show. He, Sir Terry and Brian Farrell were a trio of superb broadcasters in a class of their own. RIP Gay

Omackeral wrote: »
    "Only saints in the graveyard."

I hate this train of thought. He's a public figure, he's open to criticism. Was very opinionated himself.

Absolutely, don't disagree.

I just don't understand people coming onto a thread about his passing and saying "he was full of ****", "up his own arse"

Time and a place for everything and sometimes saying nothing is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I hate this train of thought. He's a public figure, he's open to criticism. Was very opinionated himself.

I don't think the previous posters are saying he is a saint, they were just saying there is a time and a place to criticise somebody, and this isn't it

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Look at what / who replaced him on the late late show! Just look!!! I’m Talking about the bean poll!

Pat Kenny replaced him on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I think it's only fair that we have a week of mourning for the great man, much like Thailand with their king.

• Advertisement

RTE were ready:

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/1191373158961557504?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"There will be a special live edition of The Late Late Show in tribute to Gay Byrne tomorrow, Tuesday night at 9.35pm on @RTEOne."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

and of course the infamous,

"Oh My Darling!
    Oh My Darling!
    Oh My Darling Clementine ..........."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

171170 wrote: »
    On the contrary, his shunning of Gerry Adams like a rabid dog remains one of the highest points in LLS history!

The 'lost boy' look on the face of Adams was priceless. Like him or loath him, he was rattled that night. Thought he was going to be crowned King of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

171170 wrote: »
    RTE were ready:

https://twitter.com/RTELateLateShow/status/1191373158961557504?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"There will be a special live edition of The Late Late Show in tribute to Gay Byrne tomorrow, Tuesday night at 9.35pm on @RTEOne."

AHH FFS first Gaybo dies and now this, have we not suffered enough

• Registered Users Posts: 85,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

"Roll it there Collette!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

The media went to sleep for the best part of a century here regarding all things Church related and Gaybo was no different. Showing a condom on live TV does not make one the iconoclast some seem to think he was. He may skirted around some religious issues like single mothers but it was never the critique it should have been of church thinking, from one of the very few in the country who had the platform to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

He was one of the greats.rip to gay byrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

An absolute natural when it came to judging when to prod, when to gently interject or when to sit back and let a guest in full flow have the limelight for as long as they delivered.

I've an awful feeling those with petty gripes hereabouts will attempt to belittle the man but let them at it.

An absolute colossus of a broadcaster, who was renowned well beyond these shores for the mastery of his craft.

A life well lived, thanks Gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wilser wrote: »
    AHH FFS first Gaybo dies and now this, have we not suffered enough
    Watch, don't watch. Nobody will care either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

So sad to hear this news. He was an absolute legend and the master broadcaster. RIP Gay and thanks for the memories

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

A guy made for radio in particular but also TV. Always asked the questions people wanted to know the answers to and was always able to find the humour and sadness in other people's stories.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

I just don't understand people coming onto a thread about his passing and saying "he was full of ****", "up his own arse"

so you agree, and disagree with yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The media went to sleep for the best part of a century here regarding all things Church related and Gaybo was no different. Showing a condom on live TV does not make one the iconoclast some seem to think he was. He may skirted around some religious issues like single mothers but it was never the critique it should have been of church thinking, from some of the very few in the country who had the platform to do so.

Rubbish, that condom segment was a massive two fingers to them. The church had a strangled-hold on most things at the time, including RTE. Could have easily ended up getting the boot over that. I was young at time but I remember my father explaining the context of it to me. Nobody else would have done that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

May he RIP: one of the great personalities of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭fluke

RIP GB

This is a condolences thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

RIP Gay.

Excellent broadcaster. I can't comment on you personally. I simply don't know you, only your on screen persona.

so you agree, and disagree with yourself ?

Have another look, check out the bold part. You'll get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The internet generation will never understand just how big an influence and voice he was at one time.
    Maybe should have retired earlier, but a huge contribution made to his chosen path.

RIP.

Advertisement