Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

From as far back as I can remember, and I was born in 1961, I adored watching Gaybo on the Late Late Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Such sad news. Kinda just though he would always be around. Thoughts to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

He was always up his own arse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That time Stephen Fry made him disgusted was fairly gas though in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

???Annie Murphy,

I don't know who that is. I'm thinking more of his support of single parents who were fighting to have state support, he was a great supporter of Gingerbread, the advocate group for single parents. He was one of the only broadcasters to discuss Ann Lovetts death, he discussed sex on the late late show, was sympathetic to Sinéad O'Connor after popegate etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Not a fan of his at all. In fact I found him a condescending so and so.

But his contribution to Irish TV and debate for over 30 years must be acknowledged and respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

eviltwin wrote: »
    Ah I am genuinely gutted to read that. He was a great broadcaster and ahead of his time in terms of the content of his shows. He was a great supporter of the underdog and those society tended to shun. Rest in peace.

unless a Bishop managed to get his leg over ya that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

He was full of himself and full of sh*t in my opinion,
    made a career out of talking down to people

I always thought this too, always found him to be very condescending towards certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

''Do you understand the expression f**k off'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lxFb7fwIdI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

RIP Gay Byrne. A pivotal figure in the emergence of modern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Look at what / who replaced him on the late late show! Just look!!! I’m Talking about the bean poll!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ah no RIP

One of a kind and really made the late late show his

Never met him but seemed like a nice guy
    Met him on the street in recent times and he was happy to be recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I really liked Gay Byrne, even the somewhat aloof side of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was actually only thinking of him recently cos his wife had been interviewed and from what she said, it sounded like he didn't have long left - I wonder were they kind of preparing people for the news.

RIP Gaybo - an Irish icon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

He was full of himself and full of sh*t in my opinion,
    made a career out of talking down to people
    He was always up his own arse imo.

Whatever your opinion of him, best to leave it at the door. This is a thread of condolences really. No need for it.

RIP Gaybo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't know who that is. I'm thinking more of his support of single parents who were fighting to have state support, he was a great supporter of Gingerbread, the advocate group for single parents. He was one of the only broadcasters to discuss Ann Lovetts death, he discussed sex on the late late show, was sympathetic to Sinéad O'Connor after popegate etc.

Probably the most shameful character assassination of a chatshow guest Ive ever witnessed, Gaybo buddies with Casey of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Best chat show host ever in my opinion.
    A true professional.

Best memory of that unreal Late Late show postcard winner phone call who won the car... but turned out her daughter was killed by a car walking home the night before.

Gay just talked to her like a friend and got a priest or poet who happened to be on the panel (not sure) to say a few words.

It was poignant and heartbreaking.

I shudder to think how the current crop of 'entertainers' would handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great career and presenter. A fine age to go, thanks for the memories Gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Pretzill wrote: »
    He was a professional. I remember being in the audience of the Late Late and he could produce on the hoof, as well as present. Probably one of Ireland's best presenters - even though I hated some of his condescending interviews (Annie Murphy immeadiately springs to mind - hated the way he treated her, it was a different Ireland then) I enjoyed The Meaning of Life too.

Ar dheis de go raibh a anam

Unprofessional on occasion if he disliked the person being interviewed or indeed if he liked them too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Genuinely sad to hear this but not too surprised as it was well known he has been ill for some time. For anyone who's 40+ in this country he is a big part of their childhood memories. We only had 2 channels FFS and Gaybo dominated. The Toy Show is part of Irish legend and he started it.

The current incumbent isn't fit to lick his boots but I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Whatever you think of him (his interviews with Annie Murphy and Sinead O'Connor were awful) he was a broadcasting colossus that helped modernise the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

whiskeyman wrote: »
    A true professional.

Best memory of that unreal Late Late show postcard winner phone call who won the car... but turned out her daughter was killed by a car walking home the night before.

Gay just talked to her like a friend and got a priest or poet who happened to be on the panel (not sure) to say a few words.

I posted it above. Gaybo asked her "why did she die?" which got a response of "are you being funny?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,826 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To those using this thread to speak ill of the deceased or of anybody who now does his job, it reflects more poorly on you then on anybody you may be targeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

One of the greatest examples of giving a fella enough rope ever witnessed on live TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

Whatever your opinion of him, best to leave it at the door. This is a thread of condolences really. No need for it.

RIP Gaybo

did you say that about Jimmy saville too ?
    The truth is the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Probably the most shameful character assassination of a chatshow guest Ive ever witnessed, Gaybo buddies with Casey of course.

I read somewhere though that he knew full well afterwards he had messed up that night and the interview was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

whiskeyman wrote: »
    A true professional.

The incident in question was posted earlier:
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=11881733

There was a panel of a nun and a celebrated poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RIP Gaybo

"Only saints in the graveyard."

I hate this train of thought. He's a public figure, he's open to criticism. Was very opinionated himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

He used to come into the service station that was out in Howth many years ago on his Harley and expected petrol for free. My brother who worked there wasn't having any of it.

Advertisement